The Great British Bake Off

Nespresso

I agree. For fuck sakes, who cares enough to complain. I'm happy to see the funny side of it but what do these complainers think is going to happen. That the BBC will go back in time and change the decision. The series is done, its filmed, what do people want.

At the end of the day, its a fucking judging show where the judges decide who is going to go home. What next, complaints that Simon Cowell sent the wrong X Factor entry home? Christ.

And what a shit article. After a single complaint Ofcom could launch an investigation but no sensible person thinks it will and it hardly needed an article. An article about who all these losers are and how maybe a threshold is required before Ofcom can consider a complaint would have been better. As it stands now, one lunatic can complain to Ofcom and that's enough justification for them to consider an investigation. It's like those Advertising Standards Authority Investigation which ban adverts because they received a whole two complaints about them because someone objected to Tesco saying that's apples were the tastiest apples and the ASA thought this could cause confusion for people who thought Asda's apples were the tastiest.

The idiocy of it all just annoys me.

Statement from Sue Perkins on Twitter

"Iain's Alaska was out of the freezer for 40 secs. That's it. No sabotage. 40 secs of normal temp would NOT be enough to reduce it to liquid"

https://twitter.com/sueperkins/status/504724198489858048

I would like to see the unedited footage before I believe anything from them.

It's clear Diana didn't give a fuck so fuck her. And fuck the editor(s) of the program for this even being a thing if they knew his Baked Alaska was out of the freezer for under a minute.

I really dislike Perkins with her "it's just about baking cakes" talk. No, it's a fucking national competition which gets watched by millions of people. It also happens to involve cake.

I only just caught up with the latest episode and Alaskagate, trying to dodge spoilers for half a week. Was expecting that someone had spat in someone else's batter, or cake mix being dropped on the floor then scooped up and surreptitously replaced... but was disappointed. So Iain lost his cool and binned his product - I've done that a few times in the past. Diana was also stressed, and if the worst she did was take out a cake from an overcrowded freezer - that's just a lapse. It was edited to make it seem like DRAMA, but it's just a bit of kitchen chaos. Then again, we live in a time where minute things get blown out of proportion for entertainment purposes, damn the consequences. Let's all pile in on the Twitterstorm! :facepalm:

I am still finding the bakes this year of a much higher technical level. They've not even done cupcakes yet this year.. so is it really time for a baked alaska, while more than half the contestants remain? And on the hottest day of the year? With faulty equipment? This is just becoming a game of "stress them until the crack". What are they going to do on the last episode: bake themselves into a cake and then surprise Mary and Paul with bursting out, a choreographed dance and a song?! This is a lot less fun to keep up with if you're an amateur baker.

Can anyone link to one of the nice sauce puddings? The official site only links three of the recipes, and of the two puddings, the one is just a plain ol' steamed pudding. I'm not making tiramisu!

I was very tempted to make shortbread on Biscuit week, but settled for the technical challenge of florentines, as I've never done that before. Hence why I want to try saucy puds this week, as I've never made them. May just do a steamed pudding with rhubarb filling.. hmm.

I am a fan of Norman's bakes, they look simple but delicious. If they judged each bake purely on flavour, I'm sure he'd be ranked much higher.

From the footage that was shown, you can clearly hear Diana say, "you have your own freezer, don't you?"

In other words, there was confusion because one freezer had broken down and there was less room for everyone.

And there was a deeper problem - Iain's ice cream was not setting anyway, the 40 seconds it was left out would not have made a difference. What made the difference was him slinging it in the bin and stomping off like a toddler.

On the extra slice episode on BBC2 it showed Iain's ice cream in the deep freezer whilst Luis piped his meringue (...matron!).

Suggests that there was a lot of switching between freezers so it never actually got chance to set anyway.

I know it's probably just the way it was edited but there seemed to be a huge amount of opening the freezers in order to check things which would stop them doing anything useful anyway.

I'm sympathetic to Diana (and Iain) - on the hottest day of last year I was in charge of 15 students drawing on iPads for a crowd and it was chaos. None of us could drink enough water and the iPads kept overheating despite being kept in the shade. Towards the day none of us could think properly and felt sock as dogs for the following week. She's much older and it must have been chaos.

That said the fact that she showed no remorse nor took any blame makes me think less charitably. Unlike Custardgate where Howard and Deborah were obviously both gutted in this case it was Iain who took all of the blame and didn't seem to say anything about Dianaat the time. It's a shame he couldn't hold his temper to make a mini Alaska but after a day trying to make things work I can fully understand why he lost it.

That was the one of the tensest episodes of anything ever. I'd avoided spoilers and the only thing I knew was something happens that caused 800 people to complain and newspapers to have the Bake Off on their front page, etc, etc. I was expecting a massive explosion of swearing and cock waving to break out any moment among the pastry and British flags. The actual "drama" was so anti-climatic after my imagination's work that I actually felt sexually aroused by the sight of a red-faced man with a bin.

That was the one of the tensest episodes of anything ever. I'd avoided spoilers and the only thing I knew was something happens that caused 800 people to complain and newspapers to have the Bake Off on their front page, etc, etc. I was expecting a massive explosion of swearing and cock waving to break out any moment among the pastry and British flags. The actual "drama" was so anti-climatic after my imagination's work that I actually felt sexually aroused by the sight of a red-faced man with a bin.

It is the Bake Off. One of the things I like about it is that it is so genteel and friendly that we (the audience) can totally over-react to the most minor things. It is part of the fun. A couple of years ago we had decided that one of the contestants was clearly a serial killer.

Martha's the only reason lots of the population are watching, she's no ruby though. I watched that bingate episode due to all the media furore and the old woman should have been shamed and then sent home. That guy did need to shave though, wouldn't trust any cake he made not to contain hair.

Goodbye Norman. He tried to do something that wasn't standard village baking stall stuff and screwed up good and proper. He did produce the highlight of the episode with his completely half-arsed attempt to trim his shortcrust pastry! From that point on you knew he was never going to pull an epic week out the bag.

Yeah and after being specifically told that with it being so simple he needed it to look perfect - I think if anyone else had come last they wouldn't have sent anyone home this week. The option to get rid of Normans boring bakes was just too good.

Apparent disagreement between Paul and Mary this week over who to get rid of, so no-one went. I reckon Mary suggested Kate should go, and Paul was having none of it.

Either that or the fact The Unfreezer had dropped out the show meant they needed a week with nobody going home so that they could full-fill their required number of episodes.

Having said that, it was impossible to separate the bottom two and it isn't as I they have been consistently rubbish for weeks either.

Exactly, and it evens up the numbers for the final episode. Everyone looking for a conspiracy or ulterior motive is crazy, they did similar things on The Apprentice in the past.

Exactly, and it evens up the numbers for the final episode. Everyone looking for a conspiracy or ulterior motive is crazy, they did similar things on The Apprentice in the past.

You'd need to be an idiot to think the only reason nobody went home was purely down to not being unable to decide (my money would have been on Kate going as she didn't hit the brief, despite the other cake looking like it had been iced by a five year old). Masterchef and the like have pulled that stunt a good few times, but Bake off is set to run for n amount of episodes and one contestant dropping out meant there had to be a week when nobody went home.

They didn't do it last week as Norman was an obvious out his depth one to drop. Everyone else left in the show has had good and bad weeks, so based on their good outings they get one free pass.

That said the Bob the Builder bloke has been on a slide the last couple of weeks after a strong start. A third poor showing in a row and he'll be gone.

• 2 weeks later...