Sega may be about to buy Atlus

Asura

Surprising:

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/12/atlus-sega-j-trust-among-bidders-for-%C2%A520-billion-index-corp-buy-rumour/

(I seem to be getting asked for a login on that page, they must have a problem - just hit cancel).

iting anonymous sources, Bloomberg reports bidding for the bankrupt Index Corporation has topped out at ¥20 billion ($2 billion).

The sources said bidders include Sega Sammy Holdings, and a deal is expected to go through by the end of the month.

To be honest, it'd be a very good move. Atlus could make some amazing games for iPhone and iPad as well as continuing on 3DS and Vita. Their back catalogue alone probably contains a dozen titles you could port to different platforms.

From what I read, they have already exceeded the valuation estimate so will be sold over the valuation price! I recon that will rule out Nintendo as they have mainly just scouped up companies on the cheap/under the radar rather than going into bidding wars*. Glad to see they will continue in some form.

*correct me if im wrong!

Somebody dun goofed with their FX rates (or they are just shit at basic maths, but as the original article doesn't mention any dollar amounts apart from a correct conversion, games journalism...), knock the US dollar value down by a factor of 10, Atlus don't make enough money to be worth that much to anybody.

With 20 potential bidders, unless literally every single major Japanese games publisher was thinking about it, a lot of those people must be like the company actually profiled in the Bloomberg article, J Trust, a financial services company, which has interesting reasons to buy Index, they don't even seem that focussed on the Atlus console bit, despite Index saying that was the valuable bit:

“It’s a good idea to buy companies that do communication and application businesses for smartphones and tap their client bases to market our financial services,” Fujisawa said on Aug. 5, citing the successes of online retailer Rakuten Inc. (4755) and Yahoo Japan Corp. They “started as providers of Internet services and grew bigger by attracting existing customers into their financial businesses.”

It's like asking people to buy up THQ as a going concern, what's the actual value in Index?, a few moderately successful multi-iteration hardy RPG series done by Atlus, even if some bidders seem to think the value is actually in their mobile and social games userbase. You could pick those up for less than $200 Million by letting Index fail completely, just look at how little the rights to Multi-Million unit selling THQ games went for by comparison, Atlus would be over the moon if they managed a Million seller.

• 1 month later...

So it actually ended up going for significantly less than the initial reported highest bid, wouldn't fly on eBay :P

The news isn't going down well elsewhere. Should be operating under a seperate division according to the announcement:

Notice is hereby given that SEGA DREAM CORPORATION, which was newly established as a wholly owned subsidiary by SEGA CORPORATION (“SEGA”), a subsidiary of SEGA SAMMY HOLDINGS INC. (the “Company”), has concluded a business transfer agreement with Index Corporation (“Index”) for the purpose of revitalization of the business. Under the agreement, SEGA will take over the operations conducted by Index, the bankrupt company that applied to the Tokyo District Court for the commencement of civil rehabilitation proceedings effective from June 27, 2013

I'm not worried about Sega interfering with Atlus' output but rather their annoying tendency to not localise viable games for the West; Yakuza 5 and PSO2 are key examples. If they wheel out the "lack of interest" line for Persona 5 I can't be held responsible for my actions.

I'm not worried about Sega interfering with Atlus' output but rather their annoying tendency to not localise viable games for the West; Yakuza 5 and PSO2 are key examples. If they wheel out the "lack of interest" line for Persona 5 I can't be held responsible for my actions.

Your definition of viable and theirs must just differ then :P

The head of Atlus gave a statement about the rescue buyout:

Atlus has consistently received support and praise from our faithful and our respected customers, and made great progress in recent years. So the recent incident must have surprised and worried all of you dearly. For that, I would like to express my deepest apologies.

We have nurtured a great relationship with Sega Inc. for a long time, especially concerning our consumer games business in Japan. I believe the collaboration between the two companies at this time will be mutually beneficial for the following reasons:

• Sega understands our drive to achieve quality and to expand awareness of the Atlus brand.
  • Our respective strengths in game development complement each other well.
  • We are extremely happy to be able to continue with our business, and be able to report this good news to our fans and customers. Again, we would like to express our gratitude to everyone who has supported us.
  • Currently, we at the Consumer Software Division in Japan are focusing on developing future titles, and are willing to take on new challenges to further achieve growth and success.

The interpretation of this is in the mind of the reader, seems the Japanese should be fine if nothing else.

That statement sounds reassuring but means literally nothing. If anything it sketches a picture of the intention the parties have now, but all it needs is a Sega manager wanting to cut costs, find 'synergy benefits' by merging daughter companies or a change in management / vision / strategy and things can look completely different overnight. Fact is that Sega will now be calling the shots and Atlus is no longer master of its own fate.

Their previous owner, Index were either too busy cooking the books elsewhere and gobbling up god know what (they owned some weird stuff over the years in their rise to fame and bankruptcy) or believed in the hands off approach, reminds me of the ownership history of Blizzard, some odd companies owned them over the years.

They know the value of Atlus, why else pay more than anybody else was willing to get them as a going concern. Most of the gnashing of teeth is down to what happens outside Japan going forward, I think the Japanese fans will be fine. Their games do stable business over there, no real reason to rock the boat as far as that is concerned.