IGNORED

Ridge Racer Driftopia

catinthehat

I've just been invited to the PS3 BETA for this. It's going to be free to play, apparently, but with micro-transactions for cars, upgrades etc.

Has anybody played it? I couldn't find a thread.

It looks like you can register for a beta invite on the website, as well: http://www.ridgeracerdriftopia.com/en/

I'll give it a whirl tonight, and let you know how it goes.

I've just been invited to the PS3 BETA for this. It's going to be free to play, apparently, but with micro-transactions for cars, upgrades etc.

Has anybody played it? I couldn't find a thread.

It looks like you can register for a beta invite on the website, as well: http://www.ridgeracerdriftopia.com/en/

I'll give it a whirl tonight, and let you know how it goes.

PSA: there's an NDA on the beta of this title.

Well basically you have so many 'repair keys' or whatever they're called and the amount differs per car to repair/restart after a crash. I'm not sure of the ways of earning it as I do believe you can get it ingame as well as buying from the marketplace but it just annoyed me to no end. The tracks looked like they were basically lifted from Unbounded as well. You can get that game dirt cheap these days, it's a very good game, and it's also a complete package. There's really no need for Driftopia at all.

Ridge Racer died a horrible death when Unbounded stepped up. It's not Ridge Racer. Far from it. It's a botched attempt at revitalizing the brand from a slick and stylish arcade racing game into an overly violent arcade racing game, commissioned by delusional Japanese businessmen.

I played the game on a show floor and managed a bit a play time with the final version, but I could never get on with it, especially if this passes for a Ridge Racer these days. If anything, Split/Second: Velocity and any Burnout game execute similar game concepts far better. Or even FlatOut, considering BugBear developed Unbounded obviously.

Ridge Racers 2, Ridge Racer 7 and Ridge Racer 3DS were all thoroughly enjoyable and proper modern iterations of the franchise. Too bad the Vita version came along with a poorly executed major online component and a serious lack of content, but even before that Unbounded was already announced.

The worst part: Unbounded was probably more successful (at least financially) compared to most of its predecessors, meaning we might never get a new version of this sort of goodness:

NDA lifted? Oh good.

Total shit. I wasted about 2 hours on this. It's freemium and terrible. You crash? Pay up bitch. Upgrade? Pay up, bitch. Okay it probably doesn't help that I thought Ridge Racer Unbounded was a truly despicable game that did nothing well and ran like crap, but in all honesty i'm done with the series as it's heading in a very generic direction that's been done better by several other games.

As has been said, if you want to play this, buy Unbounded, it'll be cheaper in the long term. IF you can stick with it. Failing that go buy Burnout or Hot Pursuit and play a decent racer :)

In short - fuck you Namco, and fuck freemium.

That's what the beta's for. ;P

Sorry - someone mentioned PS3 and someone else mentioned Steam. I didn't see PS4 anywhere.

But now people are saying it's a poorly implemented F2P, consider my bubble well and truly burst, my campfire well and truly pee'd on, and as for my chips, well they're cold and soggy.

Sorry - someone mentioned PS3 and someone else mentioned Steam. I didn't see PS4 anywhere.

But now people are saying it's a poorly implemented F2P, consider my bubble well and truly burst, my campfire well and truly pee'd on, and as for my chips, well they're cold and soggy.

'Twas a joke! :P

But seriously, I can see them having a PS4 version in the wings for launch. Ridge Racer and WipEout are traditionally the first games presented for a new Sony console, so it feels weird to not have both on board this time around. A Driftopia port would be easy money repair keys.

Ridge Racer died a horrible death when Unbounded stepped up. It's not Ridge Racer. Far from it. It's a botched attempt at revitalizing the brand from a slick and stylish arcade racing game into an overly violent arcade racing game, commissioned by delusional Japanese businessmen.

I played the game on a show floor and managed a bit a play time with the final version, but I could never get on with it, especially if this passes for a Ridge Racer these days. If anything, Split/Second: Velocity and any Burnout game execute similar game concepts far better. Or even FlatOut, considering BugBear developed Unbounded obviously.

Ridge Racers 2, Ridge Racer 7 and Ridge Racer 3DS were all thoroughly enjoyable and proper modern iterations of the franchise. Too bad the Vita version came along with a poorly executed major online component and a serious lack of content, but even before that Unbounded was already announced.

The worst part: Unbounded was probably more successful (at least financially) compared to most of its predecessors, meaning we might never get a new version of this sort of goodness:

Funnily enough Unbounded is one of the few racing games I've really enjoyed in recent years (with my favourite being Driver San Francisco, closely followed by Flatout). I haven't enjoyed a Criterion game from Burnout Paradise onwards despite giving them all a go.

I do agree traditional Ridge Racer shouldn't die though and quite frankly I wish Bugbear wouldn't waste their time with the series. I'd rather they make a proper Flatout 3.

Phew! Damn you and your intelligent European sarcasm.

I remember the first time I played Ridge Racer on PS3 in 1080p on a 60" TV. It was an audiovisual feast. Looked so colourful, crisp, and fluid, and the signature Ridge Racer techno... ahh... COME ON NAMCO..

Ugh, Paradise was horrid. 'Twas even worse when EA had the guts to resell Paradise as NFS: Most Wanted, which everybody seemed to love despite it being actually worse than Paradise. An incredible feat that, I might add.

Phew! Damn you and your intelligent European sarcasm.

I remember the first time I played Ridge Racer on PS3 in 1080p on a 60" TV. It was an audiovisual feast. Looked so colourful, crisp, and fluid, and the signature Ridge Racer techno... ahh... COME ON NAMCO..

As mentioned earlier, I'd settle for R4 HD.