IGNORED

Ridge Racer Driftopia

catinthehat

Funnily enough Unbounded is one of the few racing games I've really enjoyed in recent years (with my favourite being Driver San Francisco, closely followed by Flatout). I haven't enjoyed a Criterion game from Burnout Paradise onwards despite giving them all a go.

I do agree traditional Ridge Racer shouldn't die though and quite frankly I wish Bugbear wouldn't waste their time with the series. I'd rather they make a proper Flatout 3.

Fair enough, that's another way to look at it :) Flatout was never my sort of game anyway. Feels like a poor man's Burnout.

I really liked Driver: San Francisco too, though.

Ugh, Paradise was horrid. 'Twas even worse when EA had the guts to resell Paradise as NFS: Most Wanted, which everybody seemed to love despite it being actually worse than Paradise. An incredible feat that, I might add.

As mentioned earlier, I'd settle for R4 HD.

Burnout Paradise never did it for me. I did like Most Wanted a lot initially, until every time I played it started to feel the same.

Burnout Paradise never did it for me. I did like Most Wanted a lot initially, until every time I played it started to feel the same.

I can't play Most Wanted at all. The handling is too hard for me it's just constant crashing. I can play BP for hours just cruising around. I never bother with the events but I love the feel of it and find it relaxing.

To fall back a bit to Driftopia: it's hilarious that for a game in which you are encouraged to destroy the environment by hitting stuff, the game punishes you for wrecking your car by hitting stuff.

Totalled? Then the game stops and asks you to repair your car with those money-costing repair keys. Can't repair your wrecked car? Sure that's OK, but then it'll be REMOVED FOREVER.

Fucks sake, guys. I get a tiny glimmer of hope when the email pops into my inbox today, and already it turns out to be a pile of turd. Oh well, at least I've saved myself the download effort.

yeah ditto - cheers all! :hat:

Back to Saints Row then

Ridge racer kind of died for me when the ps2 version came, yeah it looked lovely, but the batshit mental cars, that dramatically changed when you tuned them, and the insanity of fairground rollercoaster courses was what I loved the most. My favorite car was that little crazy fiat 500 looker, that went a million miles an hour drifting.

I was really sad to see the last game just looked like a Burnout clone.

Ridge racer kind of died for me when the ps2 version came, yeah it looked lovely, but the batshit mental cars, that dramatically changed when you tuned them, and the insanity of fairground rollercoaster courses was what I loved the most. My favorite car was that little crazy fiat 500 looker, that went a million miles an hour drifting.

I don't remember any of this in RRV, although to be fair I have slept a bit since I last played it.

EDIT you're talking about RRt4 aren't you? Doh.

I haven't played it myself, so I'm just asking, but is this going to be another instance of a freemium game coming out, people spazzing out and saying "OMG you have to pay everytime you crash!!?!?" and then a few months later people start turning up saying 'Hey, you know what, I've been playing this and really enjoying it for the last couple of months and have never spent a penny. I just don't have ADHD and can handle not being able to immediately restart and waiting a bit instead, and I don't mind, because it's free.'

Why would anyone think having to wait a bit or pay money to restart is a good thing? My gaming time is pretty limited and I don't want to be sat twiddling my thumbs waiting for another go. Maybe it's the way gaming is going but for me it's not a direction I like. I'm glad you don't have ADHD however, that's great news.

Just buy Unbounded cheap, the F2P in this is shit. You have to pay everytime you crash your car for example if you want to restart.

Well fuck that then. Just got invited into the beta program, but yeah, I won't even be bothering to boot it up if that's how things are.