Mighty No. 9 - Inafune reboots MegaMan via Kickstarter

Triple A

I kind of wish they didn't have so many character close-ups, because anyone who still has any kind of appreciation for Mega Man is more interested in the jumping, shooting, dashing and other actual gameplay bits. During my wait for any kind of half-decent Mega Man tribute to be released I've downloaded, played and completed Explodemon - a 2D platformer which also looks pretty rough visually but has decent gameplay for the most part. And again, MM Powered Up has these awful 3D cute renditions of MM1 enemies but the platforming is still as satisfying as it was in the NES game.

I wouldn't mind having a new Mega Man clone to play but they're not really selling it by focusing on these characters... :P

50 minutes ago, JPickford said:

This looks exactly like half a dozen Live Arcade games on 360.

Was going to type the same. Like early 360 Arcade titles. Not that that's something bad necessarily, but considering how much this cost...

It really is shocking, how this has all played out. All the delays, all the weird controversies surrounding it, the other kickstarters Inafune tried to start before finishing this one and the underwhelming result. Compare that to the recent Yooka Laylee update, where they got the money and just cracked on until they were ready to show it off, with added benefits like the backer-exclusive sandbox being expanded.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Destructoid's review makes it sound like there are a lot of really interesting and complex systems there, like a Platinum game or something, but the level design isn't much cop. I wonder if they took too long refining the basic gameplay and wound up just cranking out stages.

As fascinating as this trainwreck has been to watch, I'm disappointed that an opportunity to make a decent platform shooter in the spirit of MM games had turned into such a mess. MM9 and 10 weren't even that bad, and there's an audience for 2D shooters if they're done well, but everything from the delays to the controversies to the bad visual design just makes it seem like such a waste. (I am a bit surprised that it's even complete though - I was certain another delay would happen...)

12 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

As fascinating as this trainwreck has been to watch, I'm disappointed that an opportunity to make a decent platform shooter in the spirit of MM games had turned into such a mess. MM9 and 10 weren't even that bad, and there's an audience for 2D shooters if they're done well, but everything from the delays to the controversies to the bad visual design just makes it seem like such a waste. (I am a bit surprised that it's even complete though - I was certain another delay would happen...)

I thought 9 was one of the best original series games :) - loved it.

Anyone wanting something to scratch a Mega Man itch could do worse than checking out 20XX on Steam, which is very much Mega Man X in a sort of Roguelike skin. Early Access, but the devs seem to be doing a good job and it's awesome fun.

Some of the reviews out there make it incredibly clear that some reviewers have never, ever touched a Mega Man game. Not to get too defensive, but if you complain about level design not being great because you can choose your own level order and the designers thus don't know which weapons you have available, is just ludicrous. Unless they add Metal Blades, having different weapons is for boss battles only anyway. :P 

We'll see how it plays, but Odin Sphere launches this week as well, so I'll probably be playing that anyway.

I think the main thing that concerns me are the reviews that say the powers aren't really ever particularly useful, and that the whole Mega Man thing of going through in certain orders to give yourself an advantage never really happens with this because the standard blaster is almost always the best option. The Eurogamer review confused me as it uses the game's difficulty as a negative, but doesn't really explain why; difficulty, as long as it's fair and allows you to learn and master the game, is what the majority of backers and people interested in the game are interested in. If that difficulty is unfair and cheap (something which the original Mega Man games - mostly - steered clear of but some of the Mega Man X games didn't) then yeah, it's a problem

I have it arriving tomorrow and am willing to give it a shot.