Mighty No. 9 - Inafune reboots MegaMan via Kickstarter

Triple A

29 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

the whole Mega Man thing of going through in certain orders to give yourself an advantage never really happens with this because the standard blaster is almost always the best option.

It never really happened with MM1-6 either, when I played through those one after another.

Aside from bosses, of course.

58 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Some of the reviews out there make it incredibly clear that some reviewers have never, ever touched a Mega Man game. Not to get too defensive, but if you complain about level design not being great because you can choose your own level order and the designers thus don't know which weapons you have available, is just ludicrous. Unless they add Metal Blades, having different weapons is for boss battles only anyway. :P 

We'll see how it plays, but Odin Sphere launches this week as well, so I'll probably be playing that anyway.

Generally speaking, Megaman games have aged dreadfully. They level design is punishingly unfair, the choosing of power-ups is far too stop/start (and unfairly subject to random drops to top up the power supply), and too many instances where you're fucked if you don't have the knowledge about the upcoming threat/solution (levels and boss weaknesses).

I had to restart MM1 on Legacy Collection because I had a save state in the fortress but forgot to collect the magnet beam :blush: which you absolutely need later on - it's impossible to complete the game without it. Even so, the recommended level order is good for knowing optimal damage against bosses, but the number of buster-only runs online suggest that you don't have to fret about weapon weaknesses too much. I'm sure I played a lot of the games' levels in the wrong order and still stumbled through simply by trying out everything I had.

5 hours ago, kiroquai said:

I think the main thing that concerns me are the reviews that say the powers aren't really ever particularly useful, and that the whole Mega Man thing of going through in certain orders to give yourself an advantage never really happens with this because the standard blaster is almost always the best option. The Eurogamer review confused me as it uses the game's difficulty as a negative, but doesn't really explain why; difficulty, as long as it's fair and allows you to learn and master the game, is what the majority of backers and people interested in the game are interested in. If that difficulty is unfair and cheap (something which the original Mega Man games - mostly - steered clear of but some of the Mega Man X games didn't) then yeah, it's a problem

I have it arriving tomorrow and am willing to give it a shot. 

The first two paras of the EG review give you examples of the type of difficulty, but in case you were in any doubt, I can confirm it is unfair and cheap in places. And bafflingly easy in others. 

I'm kind of expecting this thing to just explode into a thousand Ramsays when I get my hands on it. Every video looks like a "normal" Mega Man game, yet everybody keeps saying how bad it is.

And the more I see of it, the more it looks like Gunvolt was a sister-project to it. (Lock instead of dash.)

Maybe it'll be instantly clear to me once I start playing, but so far I'm baffled. Guy promised to create a Mega Man game, guy produces said game, people complain that it is a Mega Man game. :huh:

4 minutes ago, Rudderless said:

No, people are complaining that it's a poor Mega Man game. At its best, it's a lukewarm retread. Frequently it falls some way short of that. 

In what way? Is it filled to the brim with Wily's Patented Disappearing Blocks? Is it impossible to crack a single boss with the standard weapon? Is the soundtrack worse than *shiver* VI? Is the dash a problem instead of a skill? Are there no replacements for Bubble Bats and Mets? :P

26 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

In what way? Is it filled to the brim with Wily's Patented Disappearing Blocks? Is it impossible to crack a single boss with the standard weapon? Is the soundtrack worse than *shiver* VI? Is the dash a problem instead of a skill? Are there no replacements for Bubble Bats and Mets? :P

The dash is the best thing about it.

Otherwise, the level design is often either pedestrian or cheaply frustrating. The voice acting is bad. The presentation as a whole feels cut-price. Apart from the bits where you're cursing it (like the boss with the insta-kill attack mentioned in the EG review) it's hard to feel too strongly about it because it's just not interesting enough to stay in the memory. 

22 minutes ago, NEG said:

The Eurogamer video really made the game look dreadful admittedly, and I'm as hopeful as they get that there's still a decent game in there. It looks so lifeless, depressingly so.

Lifeless is a good word for it, actually. 

8 hours ago, Spainkiller said:

(Really, if the game was the exact same but was made in a year and for 100k, people would be giving this 8s.)

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly wouldn't. I think it's difficult for any critic to *entirely* ignore the game's background and the fact that it has under-delivered, but even going in with low expectations for a small indie game that had been made on the cheap in 12 months wouldn't suddenly make this a good game. 8/10 would be absurdly generous for this no matter how much it cost or how long it took to make.

Also: 

Does the stream explain where the money went? Because all the reviews and impressions say unimaginative and the technology is hardly groundbreaking so what were all the delays about?

Got my PSN code. (though I don't necessarily remember picking PS4 in the survey a month back, I don't mind)

Today's Sonic Day, so I'll give it a spin tomorrow instead.

The notice on the Humble page is sad:

Coming Soon:

Nintendo 3DS (All regions)

Coming VERY Soon:
    Nintendo Wii U (Australia & Europe)

Xbox 360

Mighty No 9 Soundtrack

Digital rewards such as the Mighty No. 9 Art Book will be available on your original backer page.

To access this, simply navigate to the Humble Order Re-sender and enter the email you backed the campaign with.

https://www.humblebundle.com/resender

At this time the Vita version of Mighty No 9 is still in development. However, your product key for Mighty No. 9 will unlock the game on your Playstation account. The code is cross-buy compatible so backers who chose PS Vita will be able to play the game on PS3 and PS4 while they await the release of the PS Vita version of the game.

If you have any questions or concerns not addressed in the FAQ (link above), please email Comcept at mightyno9@comcept.jp for additional assistance.

4 hours ago, Harsin said:

The craziest thing is they think they're going to build an entire multimedia franchise around this rancid looking character design.

It's not nice :(

The original concept art looked great I seem to remember.

Erk.

Got it today as my Amazon pre-order was dispatched before everything started going a bit sour in terms of reviews and such, plus to be honest I was still quite keen on at least giving it a go and seeing how it was.

It's... not bad. I actually quite enjoyed the couple of stages I played through (City, Oil Rig). The controls aren't as tight as a Mega Man game and the dash mechanic takes a bit of getting used to and initially felt pretty clumsy, but generally it's not as bad (well, for me) as I was concerned it might be.

I can see issues people might have with the presentation, of course - some of it just feels unfinished, like the curious way the characters don't have any kind of facial animation during dialogue and such which you could argue was a style choice, but I could counter-argue was a shit style choice. Also, Beck totally looks like Pob when he's running low on health. But hey, I will probably play it enough to justify the £20ish that it cost.

What a shit show this has become, the guy deserves everything he gets. No chance of creating a franchise or spin off anime for it now effectively killed it before it even started :lol:

Mega Man was always his and it was his chance to do something really special. I've noticed there's a few comments popping up in places that $4mil isn't a lot of money but you only have to look on Steam at some of the much better games which are created for a fraction of the price. Axiom comes to mind, Stardew Valley etc etc. He'd have been better doing a sort of remix on MM 8/9 a more modern update with decent level design rather than this.

Would be the ideal time for Capcom to poke a bit of fun and slash the cost of the MM collection for a few days at least.