IGNORED

Mighty No. 9 - Inafune reboots MegaMan via Kickstarter

Triple A

58 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I've noticed there's a few comments popping up in places that $4mil isn't a lot of money but you only have to look on Steam at some of the much better games which are created for a fraction of the price. Axiom comes to mind, Stardew Valley etc etc.

You're making an incorrect comparison though, comparing commercially funded teams with their associated costs versus individuals doing it solo. By that metric, 99.99% of commercially funded games will come up short if the benchmark is the cost of paying a lone individual. That amount of money is pretty low considering how long this has been in production. Game quality itself doesn't correlate that well with amount of manpower or resources anyway.

3 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I've noticed there's a few comments popping up in places that $4mil isn't a lot of money but you only have to look on Steam at some of the much better games which are created for a fraction of the price.

It actually cost considerably more than the $4m that was pledged, as Playtec spent a whole bunch more funding the remainder; the total could be anything between $8-10m. That's how Playtec operate.

2 hours ago, mushashi said:

You're making an incorrect comparison though, comparing commercially funded teams with their associated costs versus individuals doing it solo. By that metric, 99.99% of commercially funded games will come up short if the benchmark is the cost of paying a lone individual. That amount of money is pretty low considering how long this has been in production. Game quality itself doesn't correlate that well with amount of manpower or resources anyway.

A game will always be judged on it's own merits, regardless of size, wealth or capability of the team.  Triple A or a team of 250 people means nothing to me if the greatest experiences are coming to me from indies. Why on earth would I care  about a commercially funded teams 'associated costs'?

Is it like how Nintendo fans blindly defend shallow crap Nintendo decides to release for them these days? All Nintendo needed was 'more money' in order for the latest Mario Tennis on Wii U to have a tournament mode like it's 20 year old N64 predecessor?

My PS4 code's not working yet either. I honestly don't care that much. But it's weird that the email with the humble code link advises me to download today and enjoy, but in small print at the end says that the game is so far only released in the US. Why send out EU codes now?

21 hours ago, Barny said:

df1.jpg

Just because a game is delayed before it comes out doesn't mean that it isn't rushed. This very, very clearly needed longer. 

And a different development team.

And a character designer added to that development team.

So this is... okay, I guess? It's certainly Megaman. The graphics are bloody awful - proper PSP quality. But in a round-about way, it then ends up reminding me more of Megaman Powered Up, which I absolutely loved at the time. The music is very Matsumae and catchy too.

I quite like the dash and combo mechanic, and some of the bonus trials are pleasingly challenging, but the levels themselves seem to be devoid of charm and thoughtful level-design. It's very much in the A->B school of later Megamen, with none of the verticality (?) or environment variety of say, Snakeman's or Woodman's stages.

So, it's okay. Would have been great on the PS2. After all the money and publicity heaped on it though, there's no way to not feel disappointed. @Spainkiller still has the right to be crying into his pillow over funding this, as do I.

Code worked yesterday, played a bit earlier.

It's very GC era, and wouldn't have gotten as much slack if it was released in 2003. Tried Maniac mode from the off, actually quite challenging. Every boss so far (had 3) has been 'good enough' too. One essentially a Zero clone.

Only terrible thing I have to say is the voice acting (when you get over the GC graphics)

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Did anyone actually play this then recently considering it was given away in this month's PS+ freebies on PS3/4? I knew it received a backlash during development and after release, and obviously isn't the best looking game but I've managed to get some enjoyment out of it so far. Stylistically I'm not a fan of the look of the characters, the cheesy VOs and the way they talk but don't move their mouths really feels off and (as someone pointed out earlier in here) unfinished. I think that sort of thing works better with static flat anime style shots rather than moving 3d characters. In fact it's probably down to the fact they are moving their bodies giving you the assumption that they'd ave facial changes and speech patterns. 

I have to point out that I've not played a lot of Megaman in general, so I don't have strict expectations. I think the only one's I've properly played are 2 on the GB and Legends with a slight dash of X briefly on an emulator once. 

This is the only one of the PS+ freebies I've played so far this month. I rather enjoyed it but it is bit difficult, think I've downed 2 bosses but put off by the 3rd and not been back. It's more the fault of my Switch and some of the other game I've downloaded.

Free games are all well and good it's more bloody free time I need :(

I've done about 5 of the stages so far but there were a couple which I left alone due to being a bit difficult at the time. One of those was the sky boss which was hard to attack and very easy to die from falling off the platforms. It's also the only one I've played for this month too, but that's down to playing other games from earlier months. Still need to get through Deus Ex and been caning a lot of Grand Kingdom from Feb. 

8 hours ago, Soulstar said:

Did anyone actually play this then recently considering it was given away in this month's PS+ freebies on PS3/4? I knew it received a backlash during development and after release, and obviously isn't the best looking game but I've managed to get some enjoyment out of it so far. Stylistically I'm not a fan of the look of the characters, the cheesy VOs and the way they talk but don't move their mouths really feels off and (as someone pointed out earlier in here) unfinished. I think that sort of thing works better with static flat anime style shots rather than moving 3d characters. In fact it's probably down to the fact they are moving their bodies giving you the assumption that they'd ave facial changes and speech patterns. 

I have to point out that I've not played a lot of Megaman in general, so I don't have strict expectations. I think the only one's I've properly played are 2 on the GB and Legends with a slight dash of X briefly on an emulator once. 

Yeah, I played a couple of levels then deleted it. I've never liked 2.5D graphics and I don't like Megaman much either, so hardly a surprise.

Well I've managed to get up to the final boss, or what I assume it is on the "12th stage". Haven't quite managed to finish it off yet though because this is the only one which puts you up against a second form from where you left off with the same health and upon dying, you return back to the first form kinda old skool deal. Lose your lives and the level has to be started again from the beginning. I'm getting there though, however there's an annoying issue I keep having where I'll get hit but can't work out why. 

So the new question from me is, who's actually played it this far? Oh and overall, I don't think it's too bad, graphics aside. 

I completed Mighty No 9 and I remember the last boss + final forms driving me crazy. It's old-school, but as you mention it isn't always clear what you're getting killed by. I think I looked up a Youtube vid of a no-hit run and got the pattern down until I could do it myself pretty handily.

Just loads of wasted potential this game. Had a solid scoring multiplier mechanic and I liked the dashing, but level and general game design was all over the place. It felt cheaply made and rushed, not what people were expecting from such a successful KS campaign.

Yeah there are definitely a lot of issues with it, but then again I got it for free and didn't back it so haven't approached it from the same view point that many of those who had expectations did. 

As for that boss situation, I've got a technique for avoiding those projectiles it throws at you from the sides, around the point where you can easily shoot and make it take damage but it feels odd. I worked out if you use the sword guy and just keep spamming the blade, the projectiles pass through your body and you don't get hit. You can't actually attack these projectiles but for some reason it makes you invulnerable to them, well to an extent. There is almost always a point where you do take damage on occasions but it's not quite clear why it happens. 

I did finish this in the end last night but the final boss took me forever to get past, although I was really getting into the whole swing of things by the time I was able to finish it off. You do get a lot of extra life drops around there too so it isn't a case of quickly having to re-do the whole stage again in a few minutes. Just started playing around on hard mode now, and something I read from someone in this thread (but can't find it at all) quickly comes to mind, particularly for one boss which actually potentially breaks the system. It was about the random talking during a boss fight mid battle from the NPC's who just get in the way when you are trying to concentrate. On the whole it wasn't really bothering me, but something I noticed a while ago but never picked up on until now is the fact that this same issue causes huge problems with the second boss, Pyro, who uses audible commands to determine his next move. These are essential to figuring out how to react, and at one stage of the battle, he transforms and if he touches you during this window of opportunity, then you instantly die even on full health. The biggest fuck up here, is that when he does make this tranformation the first time, the bloody dialogue starts up from those NPC's and the audio for his first command gets muted, so you have no idea what's coming. It becomes a gamble at this point and if he decided to jump when you do then it's game over.