Wentworth (Prisoner Cell Block H reboot)

Venice Cull

I'll make no bones about it - I maintain the Prisoner Cell Block H was one of the finest TV dramas ever. Watched it religiously in my twenties.

Anyway, a reboot started last week on Channel 5 - so I checked it out with interest, and y'know - it's actually pretty good. It has the same dynamics and characters as the original, but it's really well made (although perhaps tries a little too hard a times).

Still worth checking out for fans of the original.

I got temporarily addicted to the original when I was doing some temp work during uni holidays. I'd finish work at 10pm, pour myself a massive vodka and tonic, and vegetate in front of the TV until the early hours. I might have been lucky and caught it during a great run - I vaguely remember Bea(?) vs. some psycho prisoner, and the Screw, predating The Kurgan's turn in Shawshank Redemption. I think.

Check it out . It's well worth a watch. Some good twists, good acting and seems to soar with the spirit of the original. Some early promise anyway.

I too know the addictive nature of the original - it became part of my life routine. Would come home, fire up a fatty, and watch it awe before drifting off to sleep.

I saw an ad in a magazine for this, didn't know anything about it. I too watched Prisoner religiously as a kid, it was a kind of unspoken excuse to stay up late at the weekends. I loved it though. I remember drifting away from it towards the latter years, but I did tune in for the finale. The more I think about it the more I remember, and it's still the source of several jokey quotes among friends.

Heard about this the other day. I was addicted to the show back in my mid teens, I missed the queen bea era but I loved the story lines which were quite dark at times ( remember the great prison break episodes in particular ) and the freak was great.

Tempted to watch wentworth now though.

Anyone watch this then? Three episodes in and its still good stuff. They've really got the whole Prisoner thing nailed - they way the tensions and manoeuvring of the prisoners, the outside world, the guards and those who run the prison all interplay together to create compelling stories. It's what I loved about the original and its here in spades.

Interested in what former addicts think of it if they've taken the plunge.

It's on my list of stuff to watch but having just finished Orange is the New Black I was reluctant to go into more women's prison drama. I loved the show back in the day and even went to see the original stage show which had the real Vinegar Tits in it. I'm pleased with the positive buzz in here though so I'll probably start watching soon.

• 1 month later...

So, series 1 finished last night. Fantastic finale - superb series.

Question though on the off chance anyone actually watches this...

Why did Jac get her son to kill Bea's daughter? What was her plan? I mean, she did her best to deny it, so it's not like she wanted to use the incident to prove to Bea she had reach outside of the prison.

I randomly caught this last night. Loved watching the original whilst staying with my grandparents during the summer holidays. Bea was my fave, and The Freak was scary. I vaguely remember her getting locked up.

I had randomly seen this advertised but thought it was some Prison Break spin off?!? So I guess I should give it a proper watch?

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

So, anyone actually watching this? The second season has started extremely strongly - and 'The Freak' is not merely a guard as she was in the original series - she's the new Governor of the prison. Proper nasty piece of work who is actually doing the dirty work from her position at the top, as apposed to at ground level.

Really interesting approach.

• 1 month later...

Near the finale of season 2 now - and this has been absolutely brilliant. Contains the heart and soul of the original, but with better production values and none of the cheese. Last nights episode was fantastic - brutal and surprising. Credit to the cast, crew and writers.

As much I've enjoyed 'Orange' (and there's a few eerily similar story lines here) - it isn't a patch on Wentworth.

Highly recommended.