IGNORED

Falcom Thread - Awww Ys

Mr.Jeff

Well if nothing else, if you get stuck on any of the bosses, you can read my accounts of tears! :)

So I started the game with 19 hours of play on my Steam Account and after a few days of playing this has jumped to 43 hours. Ooops. In game clock still shows only about 9 hours of actual game progress though. Shows how many deaths/game overs I've suffered.

Still, 2 more bosses down and only 3 remain. Boss 12 proved to be just as fun/frustrating as I thought. Not looking forward to the next 3 though or the final dungeon.

Boss 11:

Mostly annoying fight. Spent most of it having to use Earth Charge to try and avoid damage. Too many damn mines.

Boss 12:

Compared to the first time you fight this boss, everything hurts so much more. Granted, there's only one attack that does significant damage but because there's so much quick, repeat damage - especially in when he goes below 2.5k health - that you're quickly left dead. There's probably a way to do it without abusing Earth Charge's invulnerability as much as I did but at half 1 in the morning, I didn't have anywhere near the skills to pull it off.

The last dungeon is absolute murder. Had to do a bit of grinding to cope with some of the damage put out but nearly there now!

Boss 13:

One of the worst bosses for me. I just cannot get the hang of the timing for some of the jumps so I end up spamming Earth Charge a lot. Annoyingly this leaves me with no mana to use Fireball which is the best for damage. Then by the last 1k health, it becomes utterly ridiculous to dodge anything.

Boss 14:

Mostly alright for the penultimate boss. Most of the damage can be negated or dodged aside from the RIDICULOUS attack that appears near the end which seems almost impossible to dodge.

Last boss is next. Should be....interesting. Last time I played this on Hard, it took me 2-3 hours to finally figure out enough of its moves to take it down.

Edit: Initial impressions of final boss. FFFFFFFFFF. Phase 1 is pretty managable but phase 2 with its insane beam spam is a right cunt. Phase 3 is going to be worse.....

Edit 2: Thus far, over 50 attempts and about 3 and a half hours spent on the final boss. It's a horrific combination of blind luck, bullet hell and oddly, the energy ball reflection from OoT. Closest I have had him was 348 health out of 9000. Tomorrow!

Edited by Mr.Jeff

6 hours later in 2 days and over 70+ attempts and the last boss finally falls.

Boss 15:

No bones about it, this boss is the hardest in the game outside of the optional challenges. Phase 1 is normally pretty simple but the orbs he fires can be a pain to dodge. Phase 2 is all about luck; get a bad combination of attacks and you're left with nowhere to dodge and the damage builds up. Phase 3 is pretty much the worst for me. I tend to have bad coordination so reflecting the energy balls is a bit hit and miss but then it's combined with alternating bullet hell shots and avoid a void which will suck you down and always cause damage.

I'd pretty much resigned myself for another loss in this video but somehow, through chance, I make it through with a sliver of health to spare

And that is Oath in Felghana rinsed:
n7Ztie4.jpg
Game reward

Final Stats:
8SS15YP.jpg

Initial time on Steam was around the 19 hours mark and actual in-game time was around 13 hours so that makes around 27 hours lost somewhere in the hell of game overs. I don't think I'll ever take on Inferno and perhaps might next playthrough I'll stick to Normal or Hard but despite all that I still had ridiculous fun.

Edit: Next up, I'll tackle Ys Origins with Hugo. I've yet to try this out so it'll be a totally new experience for me. Not sure whether to stick it on Normal or Hard...

So here we go again. I've rashly decided that I'm going to go through all 3 routes this time starting with Hugo, then Yunica finished up with The Claw. It should be interesting to see the complete storyline all at once. Supposedly the final playthrough with The Claw should provide a drastically different spin which I'm excited to see.

One positive experience is that after Felghana on Nightmare, Hard mode feels a lot more managable. Sure, I'm still dying but it feels less punishing to suffer damage during boss fights thus far. Or perhaps that's because I've levelled a bit beyond what's expected.

Boss 1:

Died a few times on this one. Can't quite get the hang of the magic system as opposed to the more in-your-face action that Adol has. A lot of jumping around which makes it difficult to react to change direction.

Boss 2:

Uhh, definitely overpowered on this one since I killed him on the first attempt. Bit of pissing around at the start as I try and remember how to attack him. No doubt if I'd been on a higher difficulty, I'd have been annihilated by the arm sweeps near the end of the fight.

Boss 3:

Tricksy wee fuck at first but when you realise he shoots his fire in the direction you face, you can take advantage fairly easily.

Few less bosses in this game, only 13 so I'll condense it down a touch.

So I've not given up but rather since I've got another 2 playthroughs of Origin to go through, I figured I'd consolidate all the videos into a single post. Hugo route I finally finished tonight - although I did manage to defeat the last boss yesterday but forgot to set the recording program....

Boss 4:

Bit of a tricksy one really but I think that was mainly down to my impatience. I seem to suffer the most damage when attacking the scales and then finally attacking the head. Keeping the orbs off the screen would probably be the key for higher difficulty levels I think.

Boss 5:

This is actually meant to be an unwinnable fight but I felt like rising to the (optional) challenge. The hardest part is trying to get a good lock when he stops moving. If you're in the wrong place, by the time you've properly aimed, he's already started attacking again so you need to go on the defensive. Use of the Wind Shield helps.

Boss 6:

Bit of a long fight without enough damage I think. Taking off the arms each time is really slow and you only have a narrow opportunity to inflict proper damage. Couple of the attacks I couldn't quite get th hang of.

Boss 7:

One shot this boss just as I did the first time I played it. It's more annoying than anything, just trying to find an avenue of attack. The final phase seems chaotic with beam spam though.

Boss 8:

Annoying boss. Don't do enough damage and you it starts regenerating health. There's a lot of things to avoid as well which can make it tricky. Probably very difficult on Nightmare.

Boss 9:

My least favourite boss bar none. Very, very limited attack window, damage caused by clipping of models and to top it off, he regens health after death so you have to do enough damage before he births the children that regen him. Nightmare would be painful and as a melee, even worse.

Boss 10:

Another one-shot pushover; probably due to my level. There's a lot of aspects to keep in mind and as a melee character, I can see it being hard. Fire magic makes his ice spikes a non-issue most of the time.

Boss 11:

Another one-shot and a lot of wasted time at the start as I try and figure out who to attack to do damage. Took me a while to remember about double jump. The longer it goes, the trickier it gets, especially when they start switching rapidly.

Boss 12:

My last one-shot. It helps having practiced on the earlier version of this fight. There's some new tricks which are mostly powered up versions of the old but you still have to be quick. Can't quite see how to avoid the giant beam-spam halfway through though.

Boss 13

The final boss and obviously the most tricky of them all. Phase 1 and 2 are mostly pretty easy although that kind of recklessness is punishable on higher difficulties. Phase 3 is the hardest, especially as it wears on in part down to excessive beam spam but mostly due to his gigantic magic circle which when it sucks you in, deals ridiculous, undodgable damage. That was mainly what killed me on my earlier attempts.

Overall, it's been an interesting run. Hugo is by nature a much more ranged character so it's difficult to make that switch from the usual melee. I don't think the magic was overly successful either; it all seemed very situational and some of it not suited to the quick nature of the fighting.

That said, it was nice to see the one of the other stories after all this time. I'd definitely recommend playing as Yunica then Hugo followed by Claw though; it seems to flow better. Very looking forward to Claw's "true" route after my Yunica playthrough.

Also as a final point, it's ridiculous how comparatively easy this game seemed on Hard mode compared to my Nightmare run last time. Granted I had to do a bit more leveling and I still had a few game overs but a number of the bosses I managed in one attempt. I can imagine them being a lot more challenging on Nightmare though. One day I may attempt that.

Trails in the Sky is... a bit slow, isn't it.

I mean, I like it. It's charming, and the writing is good, and the characters are memorable (especially given the relatively large supporting cast) but I'm about fourteen hours in and it's really only minimally interactive at this stage. I'm just following the storyline from village to village, sitting through dialogue sequences then wandering off to the next place the game tells me to go. I'm winning every battle with the same basic approach, and the Orbment system hasn't offered me anything more than level 1 orbs so there doesn't seem to be much I can do there to customise things either.

Does it get going at any point or does it just trundle along like this for the rest of the game?

It's a very measured pace yeah, You tend to move from place to place attempting to "catch up" to the more serious part of the plot. It does come to a head in the latter part of the game when you finally reach (or approach) the Capital. A number of people view the game as being a sort of prologue since it introduces a lot of large scale ideas and little plot twists which carry over into future entries - which may or not make it across.

Personally, I quite liked the trundling along since the dialogue and characters helped carry it but if you're looking for an "Oh snap!" moment, the later stuff is a bit bigger in scale. A couple of the later fights can prove a nice challenge though. And then there's the ending.....

With regards to Orbments, it's been a while but I did find I ended up using a majority of the same ones. Mainly it was trying to find a balance of using x number of orbs to get y skill set, while keeping a range of the others.

With regards to Orbments, it's been a while but I did find I ended up using a majority of the same ones. Mainly it was trying to find a balance of using x number of orbs to get y skill set, while keeping a range of the others.

I confess I find the system a bit baffling. It doesn't seem to let me equip more than one Quartz of the same type. I thought I'd get the better skills by equipping, say, 3 Fire gems on a single line, but it won't let me. So I'm hoping it gives me access to better gems later on (eg Fire 2 rather than Fire 1). Have I missed something?

Yeah I seem to recall you're able to buy increased level of gems which count for multiples, so Fire 2 accounts for 2 of the Fire type giving you access to new tiers. There's a pretty overpowered skill later on using I think Time and Space orbs which basically does a ridiculous wide area attack which is really useful.

Edit: Rashly I have decided to paly through the remainder of the Ys series on Nightmare, starting with The Claw's playthrough run on Ys Origin. I probably should be locked up for this madness.

Edited by Mr.Jeff

My shameless self publication of my own topic continues. In a fit of madness, I decided to abandon playing on Hard Mode for Yunica and notch it up to Nightmare mode. The difference became readily apparent when I died within 2 minutes of starting to regular monsters. Oops.

Still, it's a nice challenge although I will no doubt be questioning my sanity at the later bosses.

Anyway, videos ahoy.

Boss 1:

A switch up from Hugo's route and this bastard comes first. By this point you only have your first magic attack and not much else so it makes it tricky. It's very tempting to wail on him as soon as he stops but his counter attack is pretty lethal at this stage, so slow and steady wins the race.

Boss 2:

Pain in the ass fight for melee characters. You need to stay close to deal damage but also be wary of his close range attack which is pretty deadly. Added to that are the grubs he spawns which if left alone, make you skid around and eventually heal him when he eats them. As you'll see, it's also tricky to actually climb his body to damage him.

Boss 3:

At first glance, the attacks are pretty unrelenting and it's difficult to know when to jump in and start attacking without suffering counter damage. Most of the regular attacks are pretty weak but numerous and the big charge attack does pretty significant damage and also has flames surrounding it which does equal damage.

Overall then, a massive pain. It did lead to a rather amusing final clash where I died in a manner resembling one of those one shot samurai fights.

And to think, I still have an additional playthrough of this and then another 4 games. Maybe I'll finish in time for Celceta!

The pain fun continues with Yunica's Nightmare run and boy is it a lesson in pain. Not sure if it's the jump from Hard to Nightrmare or because it's back to close range melee but it's certainly punishing. Boss 5 is technically an unwinnable fight which was probably the biggest stumbling block.

Boss 4:

Not as difficult as I thought it was going to be. You take a lot of incidental damage but most of the rest can all be avoided. The final slice of health by attacking the head can be tricky.

Boss 5:

As mentioned above, you're meant to lose this fight but technically you can achieve victory much like Hugo's equivalent fight. However, unlike Hugo, this is a massive pain in the arse. For the type of damage and the numbers thrown out in the arena that small, it's very difficult to land attacks and avoid damage. Not to mention that you have to spend 2 minutes watching an unskippable cutscene beforehand and when you lose, you have to exit the game and restart from before it. It's achievable on Nightmare but it would mean spending a lot of time increasing levels slowly.

I did happen to have a save from this fight on my very first playthough on

but even that took me about 2 and a half hours of attempts and was a complete fluke since near the end, I was second away from death.

Possibly something to come back to but I wanted to move on.

Boss 6:

This probably counts as an exploit since I spammed Bolt Crash to nullify damage but the ends justifies the means I think. A fairly long fight this as usual. Oddly enough, the slimes are the hardest part to dodge. Also the fist punches are a pain to dodge manually since sometimes they seem to home in.

I have been meaning to mention this but in both Oath in Felghana and Origin, there is an additional mechanic known as Boost which increases attack and lowers damage. However, wherever possible, I've opted to avoid it. I realise it's part of the game's mechanics but I feel like it's more rewarding to deal without it. Thus far, I've only used it for the final boss of Oath.

The fighting continues....

The music is so good.Keep meaning to give Mask of the Sun and Dawn of Ys a try. Might give them a go after Celceta to see the differences.

Origin fighting continues!

Boss 7:

Previously, I've been able to one shot this boss but as expected it doesn't quite work that way. Quite a lot of time wasted waiting for the right time to attack and a bit of exploiting of Bolt Crash to provide a bit immunity at times.

Boss 8:

Another fiddly one, mainly due to aiming. Overall not too bad.

Boss 9:

Still a horrible fight. The key part is trying to get as much damage done just after it's regenerated. Easier said than done of course.

Boss 12 I'm expecting to be pretty horrific. In fact, all the fights after this are pretty much guaranteed to be pretty awful. Lots of levelling in the future I forsee.

Several hours later after dying repeatedly trying to get through the Demon Tier and the next set of bosses fall leaving only the final boss. I've had a couple of goes and while I managed to get to the third phase, it is still incredibly painful. Might try and grind an extra level for a bit more defense and damage. Either that or I might have to use boost which I've been avoiding.

Boss 10:

Upgraded fight from earlier in the game and while it starts off fine, the latter part is hell. I was probably overlevelled which is why I could take so much damage but even then, it's still pretty brutal.

Boss 11:

Mostly a ranged fight. It's not until the second phase that it becomes more difficult. The last attack is an absolute beast though. Another one of those would have finished me.

Boss 12:

I was dreading this fight and in a way I was right. The practice I put in earlier helped me get an understanding of what to do but I still can't understand what to do with the Ice Dragon attack. Was definitely overlevelled though which shows since I essentially bludgeon through spamming wind skills. A few previous goes show it was possible with Fire attack but it becomes a pain later with the large scale ice attack.

Had a quick read up and apparently the third character's playthrough is meant to be lethal on Nightmare due to a combination of playstyle and new bosses which mean all new attacks to learn. Half filled with fear and half filled with excitement.

Well practice on the final boss with Hugo on Hard has apparently helped since it only took about a dozen of so attempts to finally take that fucker down as Yunica on Nightmare Of course, it probably helped that I decided to grind out an extra level.

Boss 13:

There's a lot of annoying things about this fight but I think the top thing is that there is so much damage to dodge that would require lightning reflexes to deal with. Two of the attacks would meaning switching to the wind skill and using that to coast out of danger before switching back to fire while in the meantime avoiding the regular beam spam. Phase 3 overall is a massive ballache. The large cannon attack I ended up having use burst a couple of times to nullify the damage. Even with all that, I still barely scraped through.

Might have a solution for my slightly janky videos as well; despite saving the requirements on the lower scale of things to compensate for my miserable machine, it's decided to keep most of the settings on high. Which might explain why the video for the last boss ended up being 1.2GB for a mere 8 minutes....

Anyway, next up, we're proceeding into (semi) unknown territory. Same location but new viewpoint, playstyle and a range of new bosses which will be...interesting on Nightmare mode to learn.

After that, it's finally time to start Ys 1 again. I'm not looking forward to the last boss on that.

And so it begins. First up, I am absolutely digging this new playstyle. So quick and brutal and fun. There's even a move which is reminiscent of Zero Shift from Zone of the Enders 2 which is just :love: .

I've mentioned this before but this route is regarded as the True Route which keeps things interesting to see how motivations and character attitudes change. But I guess no-one really cares about that so here are some more videos. Bear in mind these videos will probably be spoilers.

Boss 1:

As an introduction boss fight, this wasn't too bad. The main problem was making sure I had enough magic left to escape some attacks. The hardest part is probably the fire slash attack which only gets worse on his boost mode. 25 attempts to take him down.

In between these two bosses there is a certain trap which on other playthroughs is not a problem because of a plot itme. For this time round, said item is removed and the alternate method of dealing with it is tricksy as hell. As such, I spent an hour and a half getting round it.

Boss 2

I didn't have any noticeable problems with this fight previously but for some reason it proved to be a challenge this time round. The tracking laser seemed faster and without any form of wide range attack, taking down the grubs is a nightmare. I got round it by focusing purely on dealing damage and ignoring the grubs in the end. Still ended up with 21 attempts on him though.

Boss 3:

It's kinda disgusting the way the computer uses your character better than you. So it goes but damn if I wish that I had those gigantic fire lasers on my playthrough as Hugo...

Speaking of which, they were mainly the worst thing to deal with. You can't really blink to the side and a couple of seconds after they start, they home in on you. Still took 11 attempts to get through it though.

3 down, 10 to go!

So uhh, I was going to do three videos per post but it looks like I was progressing faster than I could upload the videos and ended up finishing The Claw's playthrough. Oh well.

Boss 4:

Only 3 attempts for this one. It helps that I've had so much practice against this one. The main problem is that Claw has no wide range attacks so a lot of the scales have to be taken off singly.

Boss 5:

Another new fight but shares some similarities with Boss 3. 11 attempts on this but a lot of that was learning how to avoid the beam spam although I still don't quite understand how to dodge the lasers near the end....

Boss 6:

Bam. One-shot this beastie. Of course that's again through having so many attempts on it previously but hey, it paid off. Once again the best way to deal with the fist attack was to abuse the guard mechanism of the fire attack. Took a few stupid hits but the damage output makes up for it.

Boss 7:

Due to story events, no boss in Rado's Annex so straight onto this one. Took 4 attempts to get the hang of it. Kept getting too overconfident and impatient about doing damage so was taken more damage than I was dealing.

Boss 8:

After all the suffering this boss put me through previously, it's nice to be able to destroy this on the first go. Probably helps witht he fast attacks and the instantaneous dash though.

Boss 9:

Wasn't expecting this fight but damn was it painful. 30 attempts on this guy but I'd always just barely make it to the last 1/8th of his health before dying. The initial starting phase is mostly fine but near the end with the Dragons and gigantic ice attack is just brutal. Went away and gained a level and that reduced a lot of the damage. Ended up making some really stupid mistakes in the video which normally would have got me killed. Goes to show you the power an extra level brings,

Boss 10:

Another one-shot boss. Pretty tricky getting the hits in for the first phase and while I was wondering how to deal safe damage on phase 2, the fire attack with it's guard effect, really makes quick work of it. The dash is pretty vital for avoiding the large final attack though.

Boss 11:

Despite the attempts on the previous incarnation of this boss, it still took 14 attempts. Kept taking a lot of incidental damage from the regular attacks and then the annoying fire attack was reducing my health very quickly when I couldn't dodge it.

Boss 12:

Previous practice and the greater damage output of the Claw meant that I cleared this fight on my second attempt. Phase 3 is still the most annoying but it's a lot easier to avoid some of the larger scale attacks with the Wind dash. Very satisfying to kill so quickly.

Boss 13:

All new final boss and my god is it painful. I'm glad I levelled to 52 in the end since any lower and I would have been suffering for an age. A lot of the damage seems to require very sharp reflexes to dodge and it doesn't help that you have to keep damaging the boss or the previous damage wears off. The last 1/6th of his health seems singularly designed for burst attacks since there is so much damage coming from every angle that it makes it hard to dodge and attack at the same time. Suitably chaotic for a final fight I think.

So overall, I really enjoyed this. It's a bit obvious to see how they've incorporated aspects from later games in the series (this was released after game 6) and tied back the ideas into the setup of the very first game released all those years ago but I kinda like that since it shows how much thought they've put into the series as a whole. It was also a nice touch for (series story spoilers):

Reah to get some modicum of development and a romance angle. Playing through Ys I+II makes you feel that while Feena's story is great, it's unfortunate that Reah doesn't get equal share of the centre stage. This neatly covers that aspect.

My only complaint would be that while it's not essential to play through as all 3 characters, it does prove to be the best way to experience it and so having to go through mostly the same areas over and over can prove to be a bit of a drag, Hugo's skillset also feels a bit weak in comparison. Overall though, it's still a great game with some fun bosses and delicious music.

Final stats below:

Starting Point

URcpb3E.jpg

Finishing Point

lZUlYpm.jpg

56Uiv0q.jpg

Next up is Ys I + II on Nightmare which should be.....interesting. I can feel the rage and hate building up against the final boss of Ys I again already. First though, a minor break for some Pokemons....

• 2 weeks later...

Well now that pokemans is out of the way, my mission continues!

Ys 1 is next up on Nightmare mode. Making a change from the previous two games, this returns to the series' original method of attack, the bump system, where you quite literally ram your enemies to death. An interesting note to point out is that the maximum level in this game is level 10 which is reached halfway through the game. This leads to the initial boss fights being very short and the final ones being screamingly difficult since you can't simply outlevel them.

Boss 1:

Attempts: 1
Far easier than his contemporary equivalent in Origins, it takes a mere two hits at a decent level to kill him. You still need to time it just right though since those flames cut through your defense and take you out pretty quickly.

Boss 2:

Another fight that was far easier than the equivalent. Simply spin round in a circle avoiding his head attacking him. Kinda sad.

Max level reached in-between these fights.

Boss 3:

Attempts: 7
An odd reversal since this far more difficult than its equivalent fight. The area is very limited and the bats sometimes do not want to group up meaning you'll always suffer some damage. The window of opportunity to attack is also very brief. I'd struggled previously the last time I played this so it explains why the number of attempts is low.

Boss 4:

Attempts: 4
I kept making this more complicate than it needed to be but once you have a good rhythm going, the boss is pretty simple. A breeze in comparison.

Boss 5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8anO-op9FKE'>Video
Attempts: 3
While there's probably a way to do this properly, it's far more recommended to be rash and attack regardless of damage. Too close to his core though and you suffer damage from the barrier around him. Nice and quick.

Boss 6:

Attempts: 38
Longest fight in the game. I simply lack the hand to eye to coordination to dash properly between the gem barriers so suffer a lot of damage. When the number of gems starts to go down it gets easier but as you can tell from the video, after suffering numerous failed attempts, I play it safe a lot.

Boss 7:

Video
Attempts: 70
There are no words to sum up the level of frustration this fight brings. Continuous damage in a confined, tiny area where the floor disappears every time you hit the boss. The last time I tried this fight on Hard mode, it took me over 3 hours and even still, this took me about 1 and a half this time around. The only merciful thing is that the fight itself takes 30 seconds but there's another 15 seconds of cutscene to sit through before every attempt. I am very, very glad to never have to see this boss again.

For some unknown reason, a new watermark appeared in the bottom right. In most other cases I would have re-recorded the fight after fixing it but for this boss, I can't face it again.

ix7cakf4meefN.jpg

All in all, the game is really short with a playtime of only about 5 hours at most. Still though, they cram in a fair ammount which moves at a swift pace and still maintains a nice amount of story and NPC variation. As always, it's great to see the links between this and Origins.

Next up is Ys 2, the finale of this sequence of events. Looking forward to this since I've only played this once before on Normal. No doubt I will regret these words as usual.

And so Ys 2 falls to the wayside as well after 13 hours. I'd forgotten that as well as adding magic to the game, there was also a change to the bump system made where you could attack diagonally to cause damage as well. Unfortunately this tends to be for a given value of diagonal so ends up being more hit and miss than it should be.

Beyond that, the scope of the game is much, much increased which is impressive since it was released within a fairly short time after the first.

Boss 1:

Attempts: 33

That's not a typo, it really was that number of attempts. At first I initially thought that it was merely down to me being underlevelled so I gained a few levels to discover that unlike attack, defense only really raises with new armor...

Basically, the fight revolves around a bullet-hell beam spam from the boss in a small environment which is very difficult to dodge. Took a bit of practice as can been seen from the number of attempts.

Boss 2:

Another slightly tricksy fight. Hardest part is trying to dodge the ice spikes while looking for the opportunity to fire magic when it lands.

Boss 3:

Attempts: 8

Nightmare inducing boss design. Key thing to this is patience. Sometimes you don't inflict damage when you're supposed to when it opens it's mouth so it leads you into rushing to try and deal more.

Boss 4:

Beams everywhere. Patience again saves the day although it can be tricky to deal damage with too many eggs out.

Boss 5:

Attempts: 5

Initially a fairly easy fight until you come to actually fight the boss. Pure fluke I survived the end to kill her. The magic at the end seems ridiculous to dodge.

Boss 6:

Initially, I tired to rush it and go all out with the damage but realistically, there's too much damage for that. At one point, you see the consequence of letting him get a second barrage of shots off as my health drastically plummets.

Boss 7:

Video

The final boss. On lower difficulties you can waste this fight by having shield magic up and just ramming him to death. While you still need shield magic up, you have to be a lot more sparing to make it last as long as possible. When the second form pops out, a MP restore item is used to provide some protection. Very lucky in the last phase since he only uses 2 of his three main attacks mostly. The Yellow magic spam is the most annoying since it wastes health/shield very quickly.

ikgFUMFtnv8mE.jpg

Final thoughts: A much improved game from the first and a nice little conclusion to the Esteria saga as it were. The level design is a massive step up as they are now ridiculously large; most especially the last dungeon. Only minor gripe is the lack of explanation with regards to the ending which is a bit of a shame.

Next up is Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim. Start of the first 3D iterations which makes it odd playing it after the two games that followed it! Few areas of difficulty I can foresee in the game which will be interesting.

Total time spent on the Ys playthrough so far: 146 hours.

El Spatula's right in saying the PC is the definitive version, especially for making it look sexy but having played Ys Oath and Ys Chronicles on both the PC and the PSP, I wouldn't say you're missing out on anything essential to the experience. I started on the PSP myself and look where that got me!

The PSP has the bonus of Ys 7 which some feel is a great way into the series and the Vita will soon have Ys Celceta as well whereas Steam only has Ys Origin as an exclusive.

Ys 6 did have a PSP port as well but it's UMD only and apparently a pretty shit conversion with serious load times so the PC fan translation is the best version of that.

Basically if you're starting on the PSP, try either Oath or Seven. Oath is more classic, Seven is has more of the newer conventions plus the ability to save anywhere.

Edit: Just watched through the video and it's a pretty comprehensive rundown of the series although, considering it was made/uploaded this year, it makes me wonder why there's no mention of Ys Origin or the PC version of Ys 1+2, Oath and 6.

I started playing the Ys games that are on Steam today. It's weird - I love JRPGs and have semi-followed the series over time and even owned several of the soundtracks, but never got into the games. Glad I gave them a shot, the battle system in Oath is super-fun and reminiscent of how a Mana game may have played had they taken the system in Seiken Densetsu 3 to the next step.

El Spatula's right in saying the PC is the definitive version, especially for making it look sexy but having played Ys Oath and Ys Chronicles on both the PC and the PSP, I wouldn't say you're missing out on anything essential to the experience. I started on the PSP myself and look where that got me!

The PSP has the bonus of Ys 7 which some feel is a great way into the series and the Vita will soon have Ys Celceta as well whereas Steam only has Ys Origin as an exclusive.

Ys 6 did have a PSP port as well but it's UMD only and apparently a pretty shit conversion with serious load times so the PC fan translation is the best version of that.

Basically if you're starting on the PSP, try either Oath or Seven. Oath is more classic, Seven is has more of the newer conventions plus the ability to save anywhere.

Edit: Just watched through the video and it's a pretty comprehensive rundown of the series although, considering it was made/uploaded this year, it makes me wonder why there's no mention of Ys Origin or the PC version of Ys 1+2, Oath and 6.

I don't think they do PC gaming and they're pretty much just doing it for fun, they get a decent amount of views but if you watch most of their videos then you'll see by and large they're just talking about their collections and whatever theme they pick or get suggested.

I'll get stuck into these once I've finished Pokemon :)

Fresh blood! Hurrah! It was starting to become a bit of a self-congratulatory topic for a while!

26 and a bit hours of playtime later and Ys VI on Nightmare is finally finished. I won't lie, there were a few points during the game where I thought I genuinely wouldn't be able to finish the game but perseverance paid off.
You can instantly tell that this was the first of their new 3D games since there were a number of places where the camera was fighting against you either with slow angling or just by not offering a good view of the area you're fighting in. Not to mention the traveling. Going from one end of the map to the other is not a fun experience. Thankfully they improve on this in every following game by having a proper warp item.

Additionally, it seems that on Nightmare mode, bosses have the ability to critically hit you for double damage which as you can imagine is a horrific. A single bad hit can instantly either kill you or wipe out near enough all your health. Granted you also have the ability to critically hit them too but the health pools are vastly different. You do also have access to healing items during fights which can make all the difference but I feel it kinda cheapens things a bit.

There's also a particularly infuriating section about 1/3 of the way through which has some diabolical platforming. In future games, you have access to double jump which makes things a lot easier as well as some form of jump extending magic attack. As this was the first of this new breed of games, such things don't exist so you're reliant on the Dash Jump which involves moving a fraction in the direction you want to jump, stopping for a fraction of a second then pressing Attack and Jump together.

This is hard enough to do on it's own but the game asks you to do it on small ledges in in succession. Granted none of the items found at the end of these jumps are necessary but prove highly useful and it's annoying that you're stuck with such an infuriating method to try and get them.

Anyway...

Boss 1:

Attempts: 19
You'd think the first boss would prove to be a pushover but no, it's a solid wall of confusing pain. The arm sweeps are easy to deal with but I could not for the life of me figure out how to dodge the flames Ideally you need range to run from side to side but there's simply not enough time to do so. Not only that but misjudge the timing for it and you run out of room quickly and get roasted. Lucky break in my last attempt where I was dealing with nearly all arm sweeps.

Boss 2:

Not technically a boss as such since the game goes on afterwards even if you lose but I'll be damned if I was losing here. Kinda cheated a bit by grinding an extra level after the first two attempts and basically rushing him. Tricky to know when to attack though.

Boss 3:

The boss itself here isn't a problem really it's more that it spits out eggs which allow ever increasing regular monsters to appear unless you swipe them off. This can be a problem later on where you're spending more time getting rid of eggs than doing damage. Also, the minions can also crit you, causing you to go flying all over the place. Fun.

Boss 4:

Another annoying fight which almost feels like it has a time limit. First you have to deal with the extra monsters surrounding the ring or they'll continually knock you over. Then, as the boss jumps round the area, it removes the floor after a certain amount of time leaving only a surface which causes you damage if you stay on it. With less floor, it also makes avoiding it's other spin attack, pretty challenging later on.

In between Boss 4 and Boss 5, there's a trio of mini-bosses which become achievable. Only one of them is necessary to continue on with the plot though (Mini-boss 2)

Mini-Boss 1:

Attempts: 21
This boss would not be nearly so bad if it wasn't so damn quick. Once again it has the annoying habit of spewing eggs to create minions which cause no end of problems but because it's so quick, you have no time to deal with them. Got around it by some sneaky positioning but avoiding the bite attack is still a tricky business.

Mini-Boss 2:

Attempts: 30
Initially, I tried this boss to progress further but I was seemingly underdeveloped since even magic attacks were doing very little damage. Even going back to cause some proper damage, the boss causes a lot of damage all round: both it's charge attack and it's stinger missile. Additionally, you only have a small window of opportunity to cause damage before having to avoid a barrage of the missiles as well as numerous smaller minions who do considerable damage if they hit you as well.

Mini-Boss 3:

Attempts: 6
Probably the easier of the trio in this case. The hardest part is knowing when to attack and then getting away to avoid the bubbles it spits out afterwards. The other minions prove a nuisance since they can cause a variety of status effects if you're unlucky.

Boss 5:

Attempts: 28
Frustrating boss since the area you fight in is too small to do avoid all the attacks. You can also have a very unlucky run of events when 3 separate strings of attacks can be going at once. The arms can be the most frustrating. When you're in the middle of deflecting the bosses attacks back at it, they'll pick the worst time to either smash or swipe ad you can't immediately cancel an attack string to dodge it either.

Boss 6:

Attempts: 28
Another frustrating boss due to a combination of slime which causes you slide everywhere and the boss having a ridiculously small area to damage. It's very tempting in this fight to jump to negate some of the sliding and to avoid damage but due to the almost constantly swinging tongue, you're liable to suffer a hefty amount of damage. I found the lightning swords charge attack to be the best bet in the end since it did the most damage as it charged. Additional minions can also prove ridiculously annoying, especially since the slime makes it difficult to dodge them.

Between Boss 6 and Boss 7, newer, tougher versions of the mini-bosses appear in the same locations as before. These drop equipment which can be very useful.

Mini-Boss 4:

Attempts: 21
In comparison with last time, this version seems even faster. Fast enough that I couldn't deal with it the same way as before. initially I spam all three magic attacks before trying to stay away from the bosses bit attack. Once the eggs start hatching, the (in comparison) minor damage they deal helps to speed up magic regeneration. When the wind attack is charged, it helps to deal a nice chunk of damage to the boss but also importantly, kill off some of the minions. With a certain piece of equipment, each minion death helps to replenish some health which is highly useful. Not the cleanest win overall.

Mini-Boss 5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVDvj9osIn4
Pretty much the same as last time. Had to gain some extra levels to once again be able to deal proper damage but from there it's a case of evading his attacks the same as before.

Mini-Boss 6:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFpEQAzbgzI
Attempts: 24
Despite being only a tougher version then previous, I had a lot more trouble with this. I had to gain to gain a piece of equipment to cancel all status effects and an additional accessory slot from the last dungeon to deal with it. The frustrating thing is the minions it spits out. They seemed to be more prone to causing status effects like Slow or Curse (attack power down) which made things all the more harder. Due to the nature of the bubbles it spits out, it can be tricky to judge where to go to avoid damage.

Boss 7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB4MWfYhaCo
Attempts: 33
One the two worst designed fights in the game due to a combination of bad camera angles and stupid attacks. If you're not up close to the boss from the get go, you're waiting to get hit by it's 4x fireball attack. It is impossible to avoid this from anywhere other than log range which is of no use. Added to that, it's stomping attack has a habit of clipping your character when you're not all that close to it's feet or arms. The best way to attack it normally is from it's back but it's a ridiculous challenge to get there and even when you're there, not suffer ridiculous damage, The second phase is pretty straight forward but you still need to be vigilant.

Boss 8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmC3dwkleEI
Attempts: 125
That's not a typo. This boss is insane. On his own, it would be a challenging but manageable fight. The three minions he has though make it immeasurably worse. They either heal him or cause you damage which at best causes minor damage or at worst either stops you from moving and generally gets you hit by something bigger or critically hits you causing you to go flying across the screen and then get hit by something bigger.
Camera angle is another enemy in this fight since it has the habit of sometimes obscuring the location of the boss when he's at the bottom of the screen As you can imagine, this is not useful in trying to dodge his attacks.
Initially I was trying to manage this fight with healing items intact since at this stage of the game, you're at the point of no return and can't restock not to mention it feels like cheating. However, I just had to abandon this line of thinking because there was simply too much damage taken throughout this fight.

Boss 9 (Final):

http://youtu.be/NDw1FPUjMDY
Attempts: 11
In comparison, this was rather a nice fight! You can die near enough in 2 seconds from starting since the beams deal about 1/3 of your health bar in damage so it's key to avoid them at all cost even if it means doing no damage. I ended up leaving the red core till last since the corresponding red sword had been upgraded to max in comparison to blue and gold who were a level below. This was done out of necessity since it requires a ridiculous amount of items to get the final level for all weapons. As a result, the red weapon charges it's magic attack a lot faster as well as doing more regular damage so you're having to spend less time at the end dodging beams which are moving at their fastest.

Phase 2 is even easier once you work out what the hell is going on. The boss does two large beam shots as well as some smaller electrical wave type attacks which are easy enough to dodge. The trouble comes from - once again - the various minions that appear. Thankfully, the lightning weapon's magic attack can take care of all of them at once, as well as attacking the boss. The downside is that it's recharge is a lot slower due to not being at max level. The boss' core also only has a small window of attack which drags the fight out a bit.

And there we have it. It's been an interesting game for a couple of reasons. The first of which was that this was the first game to relaunch the series after the disastrous Ys V nearly killed it off. As such it's neat to see how they've progressed from their mostly 2D games of the past and into it's new 3D incarnation. It's certainly one of the more rougher games in the series due to it being first of the line but it also shows off elements which carry on into the future games.

The second reason is that this game has become a central part of the overall story about the world Adol inhabits. There's a lot of plot points in this game which have echoing effects on other games as well as taking its cues from earlier points in the series as well. It could be argued that the Ys 3 remake and Origin have the benefit of being made after this game so are easier to tie into but even still, it gives you a sense that there's still a much larger story hiding away.

Enough boring talk from me, Ys 7 on Nightmare is all that remains. With any luck, I should have a method of recording for the boss fights again.

• 3 weeks later...

Feels like it's been longer but Ys Seven finally falls to the wayside with a total time of just over 45 hours.
Definitely a different kettle of fish from the other games with the removal of jumping and a dedicated dash button. There's also the inclusion of Flash Guarding (which is oddly never mentioned anywhere) but there have been a few skills in previous games which allow you to block damage with correct timing so it's not entirely new although it perhaps wasn't as easy to exploit as this.

Anyway, bosses first. It's worth noting that while the game does offer healing items (although with reduced numbers on Nightmare), I avoided using them for any of the boss fights.

Also, the fights themselves have been filmed in pretty poor quality in terms of fps and sound. My rather decrepit machine just barely managed to handle the emulator and the screen capture program at once. My apologies for that.

Boss 1

Attempts: 9
First proper fight in the game to really get you used the mechanics of the game and this boss has a fair few attacks to throw out at you. Most annoying are the two attacks which draw you towards him but also the neck rush seems also oddly hard to avoid at times. Damage quickly adds up if you're not careful.

Boss 2

Pretty easy fight this as most of the attacks are fairly well telegraphed and avoidable.

Boss 3

Mostly an easy fight but it's the first time I felt required to use Flash Guard properly to dodge an attack, the green bubbles. They do some pretty hefty damage. Also, the AI is a bit idiotic in that by following you, it tends to fall prey to the grab attack in the latter half. I don't know why I didn't use Elk's skills to help take down the legs faster.

Boss 4

A combination of a small arena and a limited window of attack make this fight a bit tricky. If you're unlucky, you can get caught up by multiple attacks which tend to waste you pretty quick. Long fight but not overly difficult.

Boss 5

Close call on the last attempt but mainly from taking too much damage from being stupid. The hardest attack to avoid would be the peck attack. I mainly stuck with Aisha to try and avoid this since she's a more ranged attacker making it easier to get away. Not wholly successful but it got it done.

Boss 6

Attempts: 2
First fight where it feels overly long in terms of health. It's not really until the end of the fight where the attacks start becoming far more numerous and start adding up that it becomes difficult: particularly with the appearance of two minions. The flame sweep attack is also a bit of an odd one since it seems to be a bit buggy to roll through so I can only imagine it either requires guarding or quick switching a party member that might be on the other side of the fire.

Boss 7

Attempts:1
Very simple fight overall since there's only a few attacks which are all mostly easy to avoid if you're careful although I get caught out a few times since I'm rubbish. Getting distance at the right time is key.

Boss 8

A fight you don't really need to win but I felt compelled to. Overconfidence got me the first time round. The important thing is to never try and over-reach with attacking since he tends to recover quite quickly after a combo. Slow and steady.

Boss 9

Attempts: 10
First fight where it feels really challenging. Most of the damage is avoidable but there's a couple of attacks which I ended up having to try and get Flash Guard working and pray it worked: the mini tornado the boss creates and the rush attack if it happens to go through. Wasted a chunk of time at the end which could have been used on the boss by trying to kill one of the minions that are spawned. Also, for some reason, I hardly used any skills which is a bit odd. I think I was finding it easier to stop and start damage just through standard attacks.

Boss 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB9RybZ9riM
Another quite fun fight since there's a lot of different mechanics to keep on top of. A multitude of different attacks come flying out at you, not to mention having to keep an eye on where the core of the boss is at any one time.

Boss 11

Probably one of my favourite fights since it's just Adol versus a particularly vicious monster. My first attempt ended up with me being wiped out in less than 10 seconds due to that ridiculous pounce attack. The pounce itself isn't so bad but the fairly wide range shock wave it produces is quite nasty.

Boss 12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsmVZW_R2TE
I don't really like this fight. The beginning is alright I guess although it feels a little too convenient to have a ledge at the boss' head height there.
The second half of the fight is the worst since the window of attack is very narrow and limited, not to mention its charge attack which seems to be only avoidable with a Flash Guard which is pretty tricky to pull off in this fight for some reason. Also the start of me using Extra skills to speed up the fights somewhat as the health pools from here on out are pretty large.

Boss 13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6eLATuB5CE
Attempts:17
I feel like this is a poorly designed fight. By the nature of the boss, you have to stay close and do damage but it has an annoying habit of leaving a mass of pools of fire on the floor which cause damage and then the character model will shove you into them, pinging you back and forth dealing silly damage. I ended up switching up the lineup somewhat for Mustafa since his skills and extras do a additional damage which really help.

Boss 14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=varzQVT-rcI
Attempts: 17
Initially an easy fight I thought but it quickly turns frustrating in parts. There's a lot of dodging back and forth since it's spin attack produces shock-waves which go a fair distance meaning it's not great to be a melee attacker. The charge attack after the rush is a bit fiddly since it can be a pain to avoid. It's best to try and stay behind him. Cruxie's skills and Extra attacks really help out dishing the damage.

Boss 15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx1LMEfIwPY
Attempts:8
Lot of slowdown and music distortion in this fight due to the water effects. First phase is pretty easy most of the time although if you're not careful, you can rack up a lot of damage in the tunnel. Second phase can be a bit iffy in places and it's also difficult at times in reaching the head to deal damage. Worst attack is probably the head sweep since there doesn't seem to be much of a way to avoid it aside from either preempting it well in advance of using flash guard.

Boss 16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhOmir-6cMI
A mostly fun fight until phase 3 where he becomes a lot more aggressive, dealing more damage a lot faster. Oddly again, the charge can be quite hard to dodge. Phase 1 is pretty quick to deal with despite the variety of attacks. Phase 2 is the slowest due to constantly having to angle towards the tail.

Boss 17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCg45RAaqdw
More of a sub-boss really since there's not much variety to their attacks but having two of them raises the challenge somewhat. Large health pools also make the fight last longer.

Boss 18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRA4ioHc1g0
Can we say overlevelled much? If I hadn't been synthesizing the last pieces of equipment, this would have been a far more challenging fight. As it is, I suffer a lot of damage which causes minor damage but takes a while to impact on my overall health. Really quick boss though with very narrow windows of attack.

Boss 19

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xat3QvDy7Wo
Another fight which would have provided more challenge if I wasn't slightly above the average level for the fight. Lots of damage coming from different directions to start with but later it becomes far more manageable to deal with. The orbs that cause Curse status preventing attacks can be frustrating.

Final Boss - Stage 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVpL0XFb1g8
A boss of 3 parts starting with the lower level. Initially it's quite an easy fight for the most part but as it progresses and more heads attack at once, it becomes harder to dodge attacks as well as finding windows to attack. Pretty critical to shutdown the rush attack before it starts since it leads to a hefty area wide meteor shower.

Final Boss - Stage 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plAsb3-yUB4
The trickiest of the three for me. Most of the damage is avoidable however, as it begins throwing 2 or more attacks at once, avoiding damage can be tricky. The last 10k health or so is the most challenging in terms of damage dealt out. Charging Aisha's skills and keeping them constantly going really helps out to make it stunned faster, not mention filling the Extra gauge.

Final Boss - Stage 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwQvDcSUXMg
Semi disappointing but considering Adol was 4 levels higher than average, it's hardly surprising. Overall it's still a fairly moderate solo fight with 90% of the attacks being moderately easy to dodge. Pentagram is a delicious skill to use.

Final thoughts:
I can see why fans of the initial games dislike this now. Despite being a fun game with some enjoyable bosses, it feels like it lacks the polish of earlier games especially in terms of combat and exploration. Whereas before a new area would bring new, tougher regular enemies, for the majority of the time, you hardly ever feel in danger from the monsters. While not new for the series, the overworld areas feel far more tightly constrained than before although this presumably down to the backgrounds giving the illusion of wide open vistas which don't exist.

As mentioned combat feels a bit weak for standard enemies. Even on the rare occasions a party member dies, it's less of an issue when by the end, you have a team of 7 to pick from. The bosses themselves still have the traditional impressive feel but there were times they felt not quite finished or polished enough. By the end it was also a bit disappointing I was able to over-level myself for the final boss, on this, the hardest difficulty setting.

It also seems to be oddly balanced on harder levels in regards to enemy health. While it's an imposing sight to see a large health bar of a boss, it feels like some of them are overly large for the sake of making it more difficult when it feels like you could balance the fights in other ways.

Final couple of criticisms would be in regards to the story in that it felt overly long for what it was trying to accomplish; especially in the latter half. While 7 playable characters sounds like a good idea, it's not really all that helpful when none of them are fleshed out all that much leaving a few of them woefully underdeveloped.

THAT SAID, it's still a rather enjoyable game overall. There's a lot to like and the additional of skills makes a nice change of pace from the previous, limited array of skills generally offered. The combat is still fairly quick and the switching of characters is quick enough to be a neat addition. The music has its highs and lows but it still has some great tracks on it as well such as the final boss theme.

As a starting point, I can understand why it's recommended to people since it offers a nice mix of old and new whereas something like Oath in Felghana, while great, can feel a bit archaic in how it handles.

Final playtime for 6 games and 8 playthroughs: 217 hours.

After this, I have been feeling the urge to eliminate my own black spot on my record and finish the Hugo route on Nightmare rather than Hard but 4 playthroughs of the game in a short period of time wouldn't be healthy.

With any luck, Ys Celceta will be out in North America on November 26th and I'll be importing that post-haste. There's also the Steam release of Trails in the Sky: First Chapter before the end of the year (hopefully) so that will no doubt inspire another playthrough and there's also Zwei 2's fan translation which may or may not be soon. No doubt I will also be resurrecting this when the games appear on sale as well.

Hopefully this hasn't proved to boring for anyone sane enough to read through!

• 3 weeks later...

So this will be a triple post of things.

Firstly, despite finishing Seven, I had this nagging feeling I'd left something undone so I went back and played through Hugo's Route on Ys Origin on Nightmare culminating in the final battle tonight.

ibbhcLjfCIjoIZ.jpg

Adds on another 20 hours onto to my time bringing my insane playthrough to 237 hours give or take.

Series of new videos hidden below.

Boss 1

Still an annoying fight since you don't yet have dash so you're constantly feeling slower than Epona. A narrow window of attack doesn't help.

Boss 2:

Sliding around hell. Most of the damage came from me being stupid. Also, I realised afterwards that I'd forgotten to equip a new armor upgrade. Oops.

Boss 3:

After fighting him twice as melee, I'd forgotten how to avoid his main fire breath attack. Easily resolved in the end.

Boss4:

Hugo beasts this boss. Mines and long range attacking just makes light work of this boss.

Boss 5 is normally meant to be an unwinnable fight which can be "beaten" by getting the boss to half health. A combination of a small arena and a 3 minute unskippable cutscene at the start put me off giving this more than a token attempt.

Boss 5:

Not quite sure where I suffered most of the damage for this fight.Occasionally getting hit by the punch probably doesn't help. Still fairly easy though.

Boss 6:

First attempt was a bit too gung-ho so I had to scale the attacking back a bit. Can be difficult to aim properly.

Boss 7:

Once again, a bit too keen on doing the attacking so kept taking too much damage. It's a tricky balance to keep the main body stunned whole going after the nodes.

Boss 8:

Attempts: 14

Still my least favourite boss in the game. I initially tried this boss one level lower than I normally would which just lead to disappointment so I gained another level. Still suffered a bit too much damage but I got lucky with the last phase of regeneration.

Boss 9:

A mix of easy and difficult sort of. Enough oppurtunities to damage if you're quick enough but getting the aiming down is a pain. Also there's a lot of terrain based damage to avoid which can be tricky.

Boss 10:

Phase 1 of this fight drags on a bit, while phase 2 is pretty quick. Thankfully, I managed to somehow avoid the final large scale attack which van pretty much clear 2/3's of a health bar.

Boss 11:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtObhLtJqF4

Pretty easy fight overall now that there is enough room to move. The beam spam attack can be pretty devastating so you really need to keep on your toes to get behind him.

Boss 12:

http://youtu.be/r7XohfWN99Q

First phase is mostly alright but you need to keep on your toes to avoid as much damage as possible. Second phase is pretty horrible due to needing to stay close enough to deal damage but also avoid his annoying attacks. Third phase can still prove a problem; trying to damage quickly but also avoid a myriad of attacks.

Secondly: Ys: Celceta has been released in the States with its

. It can still be found in a number of places but due to a limited first print run, it may be a bit difficult. A European release is expected in Sping of next year by Atlus of all people.

Importing should present no problems for those tempted as there is no DLC of anytime now or planned for the future so will work on European accounts.

And thirdly, after a long, long period of fan-translation, Ys V has finally received a fan translation which can be found on Aeon Genesis' page here. This release means that finally all mainstream entries to the Ys series have received an English translation: legitimately and not. While it's not regarded in the same light as other entries in the series in gameplay terms it has been mentioned that the story is fairly acceptable despite this.