IGNORED

Falcom Thread - Awww Ys

Mr.Jeff

Glad you're enjoying it wong fei hung! Hopefully it lives up to my lofty recommendations. :)

I'll be interested o hear more of your impressions as well magicianlord.

My Silver Anniversary Edition of Celceta also turned up to and rather nicely didn't net me a customs charge and was in pristine condition despite a few knocks to the shipping box.

I have yet to get stuck in as such but here's a couple of shots of the packaging.

ibczZ79iWgefu9.JPG

ibgHrZdsIun7UX.JPG

Played a fair few hours of this so far and have managed the first 5 or 6 bosses now.

Thus far it definitely feels more like a refined version of Ys Seven. Combat is still nice and quick and satisfying as per usual.

My minor gripe would be flash guarding and flash dodging. They both feel a bit hit and miss as to timing which makes a bit frustrating on higher difficulties. If you go in aiming to dodge or guard and time it wrong, you could end up suffering badly damage wise as opposed to pre-empting the attack and dodging well in advance despite losing out on the advantages of the flash maneuver.

First boss alone took me nearly 40 attempts trying to get flash guarding down right since it seemed to be the only way to survive.

The graphics are a bit hit and miss though; apparently this is due to something about it's resolution being lower than the vita's native one. So everything looks a bit blurry and bloom filled.

On the plus side, my main issue with the areas being too small and confined on the PSP has been corrected with wonderfully large open areas that allow you to see beyond the scope of your own tiny area into things in the distance.

Music thus far is a bit underwhelming. Nothing really overly memorable to set your pulse racing which is a shame.

That said, it's still being a lot of fun right now, exploring the huge map is highly enjoyable especially when encountering the occasional high level monster.

• 2 weeks later...

And finally finished my first playthrough on Nightmare with no healing items/enhancements with just shy of 70 hours on the clock.

First things first, I would say that the game is probably not meant to be played with healing items normally. That said, I'm a traditionalist and believe that's how the games should be played which meant that the bosses provided a lot more of a challenge - especially when I ensuring that all 3 party members survived as well.

Combat is definitely improved from Seven. My gripe would be that it balances far too heavily for Flash Guarding and Flash Dodging. When these work, you feel like an invulnerable god but to me there were too many occasions where nailing the precise timing was needlessly finicky or was difficult to grasp the timing of the button presses due to multiple incoming attacks.

Attacking is still nice and quick and each of the characters does offer a nice balance of different timings on their attacks so it doesn't feel like a palette swap. Skill learning is much improved from Seven but you still feel overburdened by the number of them; most get no look out.

The key point of the series; the fantastical bosses were overall pretty disappointing. The first boss is can be a considerable learning curve on higher difficulties and there's a number of bosses that feel overlong due to their mechanics or are frustrating due to some poor camera angles or overpowered attacks.

Graphically, it's been pointed out that it's no tour-de-force but it's still an impressive marvel offer a nice variety of locations and a great depth of field as you stare off into the distance to make your way to places you can see in the background.

Story-wise, the series is not particularly known for it's amazing story and while it's a fair reduction for the more exposition heavy Seven, the plot is still pretty thin despite the nice idea behind recovering your memories. Character motivations for both antagonists and protagonists are pretty flimsy and the story is pretty short despite the amount of time spent exploring. There's also very little sense of threat since there's no particular event which really impresses upon you any sense of danger. It also suffers from a diabolical ending which doesn't really sit well.

Musically: It's a bit of a mixed bag. It makes me wonder if Xseed did the compilation CD for the series deliberately because of the lack of impressive tunes. Towards the latter half of the game, the music does pick up and you're treated to some better composed tracks.

Final conclusion: All my negatives aside, this is still a pretty fun game. Exploring feels rewarding both on the field and in the dungeons and the combat is enjoyable enough to make up for the slightly lacklustre story. Most of my complaints I guess come from comparing it to previous entires in the series which isn't particularly good for judging the game on it's own merits.

It's a very solid, good game but I don't think it's a particularly outstanding Ys game. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Well I don't know how I managed it but I completed Oath in Felghana (on Normal though, I'm only human)! That last boss almost made me give up completely, but somehow the game always teased me back in by making each attempt very slightly more successful than the last. A devious trick.

An absolutely brilliant game from start to finish. Very challenging but never unfair, doesn't outstay its welcome, and boasts a soundtrack that very nearly matches that of Final Fantasy VII in the awesomeness stakes.

I'll take a little break now, but Seven is already loaded on to my Vita so the break might only last a few hours.

Always glad to read that someone's enjoyed the game and made it through to the end no less! The last boss is still an absolute highlight for me despite how utterly punishing it can be. The last phase in particular has that annoying quality of tricky but offering you that glimpse at success. :)

I'll be interested to see what you make of Ys Seven. Despite its familiar trappings, it is an altogether different beast!

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. The genius of the boss fights was that they seemed utterly impossible at first, but with each subsequent attempt you figured out a little more about how to approach them. So much so that when I actually did defeat the last one, I found it relatively straight-forward!

Although I've since watched your videos of the boss fight on Nightmare and realised I missed a trick or two, so I could have made it even easier on myself. I'll remember that for the next play through.

On the last boss of Ys Seven and man I kinda fucked myself in a way. Especially since

it makes you use all the characters and I only really levelled up 3 of them, should have guessed. Doh! All my other characters don't really have levelled up skills so balls

Thing is I'm sure you can still do it ok, I just made things harder for myself :lol:

Yeah it's the one kicking point of the last boss.

If you're lucky, you should have at least one of your regular team in each of the tiers and can just have them as your new leader.

Although it's a pain getting used to a new style each time...

At least you're rewarded with one of the best tracks in the game!

Yeah it's the one kicking point of the last boss.

If you're lucky, you should have at least one of your regular team in each of the tiers and can just have them as your new leader.

Although it's a pain getting used to a new style each time...

At least you're rewarded with one of the best tracks in the game!

Thankfully I do I think:

Aisha, Dogi and Adol are the ones I've levelled up and Dogi is in the first fight, Aisha is in the second and I assume it's then Adol on his own. So I've given an anti freezing amulet to Dogi so that helps. I just need to get better at avoiding things as I tear through the health/revives etc. Got to the second stage boss and ended up turning off the Vita (was 3am and I was knackered) rather than putting it on standby to continue on :facepalm:

Still, I'm not too worried. Plenty of options, I can level up the characters a bit more or just keep trying and actually be skillful :lol: Knackered tonight but this week that boss shall be miiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

And yes that track is bloody brilliant :D

• 2 weeks later...

So finally finished off Ys Seven. Did a little bit of grinding but it was more skill and luck than anything else that got me through the last fight :D Fantastic game. Next I think I'll finish up Ys VI and then try something different like Trails In The Sky.

Glad to see you enjoyed it! There's some cracking fights in the game despite the change to the battle system. You should be nicely set up for Celceta!

Will be interesting to see what you think of Trails when/if you get round to it. It's an altogether different beast. :)

Edit: Also, standout track from VI: though the title name may be construed as a spoiler. The arrange version is brilliant though.

Glad to see you enjoyed it! There's some cracking fights in the game despite the change to the battle system. You should be nicely set up for Celceta!

Will be interesting to see what you think of Trails when/if you get round to it. It's an altogether different beast. :)

Edit: Also, standout track from VI: though the title name may be construed as a spoiler. The arrange version is brilliant though.

Yeah I must admit that I generally prefer controlling just Adol but it was still fun, it felt even more 'RPG' in a way if that make sense. Currently playing Ys VI as I had already started it (fan translated PC one) and that's fun too. More like Oath... in how it plays though not as good (though still pretty great in its own right). I know Trails is supposed to be more traditional RPG isn't it ?

Great music tracks from VI too :D

A quick question as well, I know there was another Legend Of Heroes trilogy released on PSP, are these much cop or even Falcom games ?

Trails is very much in the realm of traditional RPG. It's turn based with a turn order system akin to Final Fantasy X. It's also a very slow building game, especially for the First Chapter (the only part released just now) so for a majority of the game, you're dealing with stuff that seems almost inconsequential until the last part of the game where it all comes together.

Whereas Ys is more about speed kill murder death, Trails places more emphasis on its world and character building. In traditional Falcom style, all the incidental NPC's all have their own dialog that changes everytime something happens so areas feel like proper towns.

It also has an oddly upbeat battle theme which proves a bit divisive to some people!

Personally I think it has a lot of charm and some great humour despite all that and the ending, well, let's say it's something special.

-------

There was a release of a trilogy of Legend of Heroes games on the PSP which only got released in the States on UMD. These are technically games 3-5 in the series but from what I can see without spoiling myself, they don't seem to be explicitly related to the world of Trails in the Sky (Technically game 6 in the series! :wacko: ).

I've half started the first game in this bunch but found like a lot of other people, the translation is pretty iffy in places making it feel flat and unengaging not to mention numerous mistakes in spelling and grammar and just poor sentence structure.

The battle system is also a pretty dull affair most of the time but there's glimmers of something good hiding away. I'm just not entirely convinced it's worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

I picked this up on account of really loving all things Vita recently, and so far I'm really enjoying it! Not played a(n) YS game since PC Engine, so out of the loop with the recent games, but I think I'll be checking some of them out on the strength of this.

It's not Persona 4 though, if you're a RPG fan, I'd start there, but the arcade combat in this is lovely and worth getting the game for alone.

Enjoying the music too, well once you get out of town...

---

S0L

---

There's some nice tunes for sure but nothing that really has that punch of soundtracks of previous years. For all that they're remixes of tracks for the previous incarnations of Ys 4, apparently it's an odd mix of songs they've chosen as well with a few notable songs missing.

I don't know, The Morning after the Storm, Black Wings, Ancient Land and Iris are freaking excellent!

It's really weird having never played an Ys game on a Sega system before, but when ever I hear the soundtracks I just think they sound like they should be on Sega systems.

• 1 month later...

As Wong Fei Hung says, some of it is just down to leaning attack patterns. On normal, you'll also have slightly quicker xp and money gain compared to normal so you may wish to consider gaining even a single extra level or investing some cash in either upgrading existing gear or buying any new stuff.

Due to the combat, levels are really fast to gain if you put your mind to it so it's less of a grind than say, Final Fantasy or such.