IGNORED

Falcom Thread - Awww Ys

Mr.Jeff

Having only previously played the terrible PSP port, I am now playing through the PS2 version of Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim. This is a much better experience to the PSP version I played 8 years ago.

The opening FMV is bloody awful though, it's like PSone level CGI, it doesn't look like Ys at all. The game plays great though, I don't think it will trouble Felghana as my favourite Ys game but certainly recommended so far.

I wish this was on Vita though :(

Why would you play the PS2 version when playing the PC one exists?! Madness. There exists some codes to revert some of the stuff back to the more traditional artwork if it bothers you.

I quite like 6 in some weird way. It's a lot more basic in comparison to the following games using the same engine but there's still some fun to be had. Plus it was also the first Ys game I saw back when the PS2 trailer was released all that time back.

A word of advice though: try and get the hang of the timing for the dash jump. There's an annoying area later that requires use of it although I don't think it's compulsory.

Why would you play the PS2 version when playing the PC one exists?! Madness. There exists some codes to revert some of the stuff back to the more traditional artwork if it bothers you.

I quite like 6 in some weird way. It's a lot more basic in comparison to the following games using the same engine but there's still some fun to be had. Plus it was also the first Ys game I saw back when the PS2 trailer was released all that time back.

A word of advice though: try and get the hang of the timing for the dash jump. There's an annoying area later that requires use of it although I don't think it's compulsory.

I couldn't see it on Steam, but then I saw the PS2 version in Game for £3 so thought why not.

I beat it on PSP years ago and enjoyed it but was disappointed by just how bad the performance was with the game, I always regretted buying the PSP version over the PS2 one back in 2006.

Advice required please! If I want to give one of these a go on the vita which one should I start with? Felghana?

I'd say start with Chronicles, it's the first two games, you change the gameplay from it's original bumping attacks to the more modern Felghana combat. Then move onto Felghana, the jump in quality will be worth it.

I love Celceta though, still my favourite game I've played this year.

Advice required please! If I want to give one of these a go on the vita which one should I start with? Felghana?

Felghana's mostly revered by most fans as the best in the series but obviously it's a PSP game so isn't a Vita technical powerhouse.

The Vita game still isn't pushing the graphical boundaries as such but it's a far bigger in terms of scale.

I couldn't see it on Steam, but then I saw the PS2 version in Game for £3 so thought why not.

I beat it on PSP years ago and enjoyed it but was disappointed by just how bad the performance was with the game, I always regretted buying the PSP version over the PS2 one back in 2006.

It's not on steam as yet; although XSeed keeps saying they'd like to bring it to steam.

There was a translation patch that was made for the game that makes the pc version fully playable in English though it takes a bit of fiddling.

From what I understand the PS2 version is plenty playable just filled with some baffling changes in design to "westernise" it.

The only changes I've seen so far (about 6 hours in) are in the cinematics which make Adol look like he fell out of Skyrim :(

I haven't played an Ys game on my TV since Ys III on the Super Nintendo, so it's kinda nice seeing the FALCOM logo on the TV again.

• 1 month later...

So while Trails in the Sky First and Second chapter are still suffering delays due to some technical issues (FC not making Winter 2013 and SC definitely not making Summer 2014), there comes a new localisation from XSeed in the west of a Falcom game in the form of Brandish: The Dark Revenant, a game released on the PSP back in 2009.

I don't know a whole lot about the game other than it being a sort of cross between a rogue-like and a dungeon crawler but I'll copy the E3 statement and a couple of promo videos. Looking pretty hype though!

A classically-styled dungeon crawler from Nihon Falcom, the storied developers of the highly-acclaimed Ys and The Legend of Heroes RPG franchises, Brandish: The Dark Revenant puts players in the role of swordsman Ares Toraernos as he climbs his way through over 40 sprawling floors of monsters, traps and puzzles in an attempt to escape a long-forgotten underground labyrinth. Along the way he repeatedly encounters his arch-rival, the voluptuous sorceress Dela Delon, whos just as interested in claiming the bounty on his head as she is in escaping the maze herself. With each floor boasting unrelenting enemies fought in real time, elaborate booby traps, ancient treasures, tricky puzzles and thousand-year-old mysteries to solve, Brandish promises to keep players fighting for survival till the bitter end.

Trailer

Gameplay

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up Trails in the Sky and so far it seems to finally be a normal JRPG, without all the MMO-nonsens-… Oh wait, quests on a message board.

At least combat seems to be a bit Chrono Trigger-like, with location being somewhat important. Good first impressions after the tutorial parts, but… that message board…

Well the quests are mostly optional little things and while there are a few which are "go kill this monster that's terrorising our village" there's a few others which are a bit more unique too.

It really is a slow burn of a game until the end though - mainly because it i) leads directly into it's sequel, Second Chapter (which will hopefully, maybe be this year) and ii) it lays the foundation for an overarching story which has carried across 6 games.

I love the unique messages you get from chests are you empty them though. :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

om9F1CM.jpg

Finally done. What started out as my attempt to clear Inferno mode led to me thinking that I'd clear the rest of the achievements. The two worst ones would be the grind to level 60 which even on very easy takes a hideous number of hours and the Nightmare boss rush. The latter is worse since you have no opportunity to improve your gear or level a bit further so it really boils down to pure skill....which may explain why it took 18 hours. I lost a chunk of time resetting to the title screen twice though which explains the inflated time.

Inferno Playlist

Secret Boss 1 - Reached by clearing Nightmare boss rush

Secret Boss 2 - Reached by clearing game on Inferno

Ys Origin and its "complete the Nightmare boss rush 8 times" will wait for a while I think.

Trails on Tuesday!

Before I get properly stuck into TitS (oo-er, wink-wink, etc. etc.), does anyone know if it's one of those RPGs where it's really easy to miss out on stuff? Like, if I was considering trying to 100% the game I'd almost certainly want some kind of walkthrough? Compare with Xenoblade, where most content is available throughout the entire game, and if a quest or event is going to become unavailable, it's heavily signposted.

If you're a wee bit obsessive over sidequests and are aiming for 100% then yeah, it's quite easy to miss some sidequests. A lot of them are time sensitive or require talking to the right people at the right time. They're not crucial but to the story mind.

When I played through the PSP version, I used this guide and it was absolutely spot on. I can't quite remember if it's spoiler-free or not though

• 2 weeks later...

:D Yeah it's a long one although it's probably not intentional. Depending on how many of the sidequests you do and if you like to check up on all the npcs for their evolving stories, it can take a while!

The story's meant to pick up a bit more in Chapter 2 I've been informed.

Hope you're enjoying it though!

Also, TiTs FC was XSeed's most successful PC launch to date which is great all things considered. Hopefully it continues to sell well enough that we can dare to dream of the other titles making it across.

• 4 weeks later...

From reports it looks to be a new game since there region shown in the trailer doesn't correspond to any region visted previously.

You're unlikely to get your wish of a PS4/PC game though: the PC market is incredibly niche and unfavoured by a lot of companies in Japan. More likely they'll stick with the PS4/Vita releases until such time as the PS4 can prove itself to be a far greater market for their games than handhelds.

• 3 weeks later...

Slightly longer version of the trailer from TGS and some more info.

- Development 30% complete
- Story takes place before 7 and between 5~6
- New action system
- Wants to take advantage of PS4 functions and release as fast as possible
- Huge focus on the ocean

- Area mentioned in the trailer is somewhere new and not mentioned previously in the series

- Motherfucking jumping is back!

• 2 months later...

XQLTSrc.jpg

Tokoyo Xanadu announced for 2015 released! Website.

Tokyo Xanadu is set “Morimiya City,” which is located on the outskirts of Tokyo. It revolves around the fates of two high schoolers, Kou and Asuka, as they traverse through Xanadu, an otherworldly labyrinth, in a grand scale story.

From Gematsu.
No platforms announced but expected to be either PS4 or Vita or both.
Very hyped for this. Only thus far played Xanadu Next out of the series but if it follows that dark, action-RPG vibe, it'll be fun times.
On some slightly sadder news, Trails in the Sky - Second Chapter is now hitting QA so it will miss it's release window for this year. Rough estimate from Tom of Xseed puts at maybe the 2nd quarter of 2015.
Additionally, Brandish: The Dark Revenant will also be missing it's release for this year for some additional work. Expected to release in early 2015.

• 2 weeks later...

So barely a day into 2015 and it seems Xseed have registered a couple of new domains: One for Xanadu Next and one for Trails of the Cold Steel - Edit Theorised to be the localisation name of Sen no Kiseki since it fits with one of the soundtrack's song titles.

While the former makes some sense due to i) the above news of a new Xanadu game being released imminently and ii) a translation for Xanadu next which they can use as they with Oath of Felghana, the news that the latest segment of Kiseki games might be seeing a release before the sun collapses is amazing news.

It's a pity that they couldn't move onto Zero or Ao but from what I understand there's various problems with these even beyond their massive word counts; namely the licensing costs for i) the voice acting and ii) if the pc versions were used, fees for not just Falcom but also two other companies who did the port.

• 1 month later...

Tb5oIT1.jpg
0S5IdHq.jpg
s7aGuQD.jpg

Gematsu - Tokyo Xanadu confirmed for Vita (details)

First details for Tokyo Xanadu appearing

We’ve acquired a lot of know-how in developing the Ys and Trails games, but we wanted to try out a different field.
So far there’s been Zwei!! and Nayuta no Kiseki, but we wanted to tackle a different title.
The younger staff are taking the initiative of project planning and development.
While the entire staff hasn’t changed, the young members are putting work into the costumes and setting.
The game is a modern era/other world RPG where players will go on an adventure to solve mysteries and incidents.
Action parts have a free-control camera.
We also have jump actions.
We’re considering things like targeting systems to make the game easier to play.
The foundation of the game is made up of modern day adventure parts and other world action parts.
They’re proactively designing the game such that players are better able to enjoy the story.
Falcom’s attention to detail on town NPCs (e.g.: their backstory, movement patterns, etc.) remains present.
We have a number of main characters, more so than the Ys series’ six characters.
We have a large number of modern day characters. People that enjoy the teenage character style will take kindly to them.
[...]
Launch is scheduled for after summer 2015. The main scenario is almost done and we’re currently toning up the action parts. I have no doubt we’ll release it by the end of the year.
The game is set in the fictional “Morimiya City” located in the Tama district on the outskirts of Tokyo. The protagonists attend Morimiya Academy and get caught up in an otherworldly incident, and with it, a major conspiracy.

Dengeki PlayStation details the first two characters:

Kou Tokisaka (Protagonist) – A 17 year-old second year high school student. Though brusque in his mannerisms, he’s not unfriendly towards others and is an archetypal modern day student all around. He uses a sword whip and specializes in mid-range attacks.
Asuka Hiragi – Kou’s classmate. She has an attractive face and figure, quick reflexes, gets excellent grades, and is class president. Though on the outside, she looks like a typical heroine… She wields a one-handed sword and specializes in close combat.

During the game’s modern parts, players will explore areas like the school and shopping district to trigger events before heading to the spirit world to progress the story. During spirit world parts, players will explore labyrinth-like areas and fight against enemies using weapons known as “Soul Devices.

A bit of a disappointing direction to be moving in from Xanadu Next and a really odd one to link the series with. Until some proper footage appears, it has an air of trying to mimic Persona. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing but it's a bit disappointing they've decided to go with a highschool theme.

-----------------------------

Edit:

A couple more things.

The PC version of Gurumin is getting it's release on March 30th. It's a cutsey little action platformer that's a bit one note but still a lot of fun.

The fan translation of Nayuta no Kiseki is in its last stages with only a few bits still to clear up. The story itself seems to be translated but it's incidental things such as item names and such which remain.

Similarly by the same group, they are also working on Zero no Kiseki and Ys vs Sora no Kiseki: Alternative Saga

• 1 month later...

Good news everyone. Ys 6: The Ark of Napishtim is getting an official PC release as of Spring 2015.

This release boasts a new translation from the fan version, the addition of warping between checkpoints (previously you could only warp out of dungeons) and a new additional mode called Catastrophe mode.

This mode means that rather than having a stock of healing items on hand, similar to Ys: OiF and Ys Origin, healing items dropped by enemies are used immediately on pickup.

More info here.