IGNORED

Falcom Thread - Awww Ys

Mr.Jeff

Are the other (that is, not Memories of Celceta) Vita Ys games worth playing? I finished Celceta recently and could do with something to scratch my JRPG itch. There's a couple of others available, which seem to be PS1/2/PSP ports.

Are any of them any good?

As woo says, Seven will be the closest to Celceta if you're needing the itch scratched. Since Celceta was based from it, you'll find that it's not quite as refined but still enjoyable.

The other 2 available are Oath in Felghana which is a fantastic game but is solo gameplay rather than having a party and Chronicles which is essentially a HD version of the original NES era Ys games. The gameplay for Chronicles is entirely different than the other two and can feel quite dated so bear that in mind.

Another Falcom game, Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure is available on Steam today :) Different publisher but it seems like they've done a decent job in bringing PC port over, no JP voice acting though which I assume is due to licensing (I'm sure it'll be modded anyway).

Been a long time since I've played but I remember it being a jolly good time, already got my copy.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/322290/

• 3 weeks later...

I'd been meaning to make a post about that but alas, so little time these days!

Few tidbits today:

No idea how the bump combat will work with touch controls but the publisher seems to have a good reputation for allowing external controls to work with their releases?

Brandish: The Dark Revenant has finally made it's way to EU stores. However, in a colossal fuckup, it's not working for the Vita or PSTV like it's supposed to as yet. Thanks SCEE.

Finally, I'm hesitant to mention this but a 99% done patch for Nayuta no Kiseki is out in the wild. It's partially machine translated and is lacking some finishing editing tweaks but it's apparently playable. Some non-official comments from XSeed have basically confirmed that due to constraints, they are highly unlikely to ever release this in English officially, so it's a great opportunity to be able to play this.

I'd been meaning to make a post about that but alas, so little time these days!

Few tidbits today:

No idea how the bump combat will work with touch controls but the publisher seems to have a good reputation for allowing external controls to work with their releases?

Brandish: The Dark Revenant has finally made it's way to EU stores. However, in a colossal fuckup, it's not working for the Vita or PSTV like it's supposed to as yet. Thanks SCEE.

Finally, I'm hesitant to mention this but a 99% done patch for Nayuta no Kiseki is out in the wild. It's partially machine translated and is lacking some finishing editing tweaks but it's apparently playable. Some non-official comments from XSeed have basically confirmed that due to constraints, they are highly unlikely to ever release this in English officially, so it's a great opportunity to be able to play this.

Fucking SCEE, most useless bunch of cunts ever.

Well, seems to have taken less time than I would have thought; Brandish is now showing up on the PSVita store and is downloadable to the Vita itself now.

There may be a few outstanding issues on other language PSNs but it's certainly working for the UK PSN.

• 1 month later...

NEWS

Sen no Kiseki 1 and 2 getting localised under the name "Trails of Cold Steel" with a tentative date for Fall 2015 although this is unconfirmed.

Fantastic news! While it's a shame that the 3 games between Trails in the Sky Second Chapter and Trails of Cold Steel 1 will remain in limbo for just now, allegedly they're stand alone enough for them to be still worthwhile.

So fucking hype!

Also, why not celebrate by picking up Trails in the Sky First Chapter for £6.59 on GoG right now!

According to the good folks on GAF the third game after SC is an epilogue with story strands that go else where so it's not essential. The other two are a 'Crossbell' duology which stand on their own and then the Trails Of The Cold Steel games which are their own duology as well. Of course it doesn't mean things don't cross over between games but storywise they're pretty much separate.

From what I've read previously, TitS: Third Chapter is basically a send off game for the previous two games which just so happens to drop a lot of interesting plot points which gets brought up later on.

Ao and Zero are both linked together but from what I've heard from people who've played all of the games is that there are certain plotpoints which tie directly into the two Trails of Cold Steel games; the second game more than the first.

But you're right, each of the different groups of characters are thus far separate despite some cross over in particular plot lines.

Also, there's no 100% confirmation that they won't get done but just perhaps not immediately.

The real difficulty will be Zero and Ao for two reasons i) they are even more text heavy than normal and ii)people will no doubt whine for the Evolution versions rather than the originals. Which is understandable but unlikely since the additional cost of localising the voices and having to deal with not just Falcom but also the company which handled the Vita port.

Bu still, a day in which the Trails series isn't dead is a good one!

Meant to post this at the time but here is Xseed's blog post on the subject of Cold Steel's title change, why it was put ahead of the other games and the likelihood of Third Chapter, Ao and Zero being translated.

It's also been stated that Cold Steel will be dub only with options to turn off voices which is personally a bit disappointing but a necessary sacrifice to get the games translated.

Finally, I've also updated the first post a bit more with some updates on the Trails entries and other Falcom releases.

• 2 weeks later...

The story and some of the platform elements are horrible. Combat is good, especially for the time it easy made.

Well the story's serviceable at best I can agree but I never really had much problem with the platforming aspect. Adds an element of verticality which is missing from the Seven and Celceta.

Does no one else keep seeing this thread title and think, oooh a new Falcon game!! :omg: Followed by, hang on.. :facepalm::(

It's not all bad!

We'll hopefully have 3 localised Falcom games this year with Brandish, Trails in the Sky SC and Trails of Cold Steel 1 (Gurumin as well if you include it's pc release) while meanwhile there's 3 releases in Japan this year with Tokyo Xanadu, Ys 8 (although this might slip since there's been nothing said about it since last year) and Trails in the Sky: FC Evo.

Only the last one is a bit of a bust since there's no way in hell it'll get a release over here due to various things.

• 4 months later...

First, I'm late to this but good news! Xanadu Next 's localisation is hitting PC next Spring.

In even more important news, Trails in the Sky Second Chapter finally hits PC and PSN on October 29th!

It's unlikely the EU PSN version will be up as of next week since Xseed are only based in NA but the PC version will be out for all.

After 4 long years, it's finally here. It's been so long....

• 1 month later...

I've been remiss in updating this due to reasons but I'll slap down some news anyway.

First up, Trails of Cold Steel 1 is to be released in the US next week on the 22nd of December and NISA Europe has confirmed they will be releasing in Europe on the 29th of January.

Next up, it was Falcom's shareholders meeting last night/this morning and they have confirmed that Ys 8 will be releasing in Summer 2016 in Japan. The subtitle is "Lacrimosa of Dana".

Some screens below:

CWUzqCBXIAA5X3F.jpg

]The last Ys title, Memories of Celceta, was released in Japan in 2012 for the PlayStation Vita. Four years later, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana is the long-awaited new title for the Ys series.

The game takes place in the Goethe Sea, located in southern Greek (the Ys equivalent of our Greece), on the Seiren Island, suspended in the seas waters. Adols new adventure begins as he travels there to learn about the legends buried underneath those waters.

The game will feature a myriad of skills, as well as free-dash and free jump actions. On top of it, Flash Move and Flash Guard will also be making a return. As expected, this game will carry the high-speed action that the Ys series is known for having.

The popular automapping system from Ys Celceta will also be making a return as cartography will once again play a role in the new title. You will seek out drifting villages in the sea and take part in their expansion and development. There will also be campaign battles where you must defend the villages from attacks as well. This new system will bring a new, exciting component to the series.

Also confirmed to be in production is Trails of Cold Steel 3. No mention of platform but the general thought is that with their effort to move over to PS4 development, it will most likely be PS4

Also mentioned was that Tokyo Xanadu outperformed sales expectations in Japan and that there is mutterings that they may continue on with a sequel on of some sort.

ss01.jpg

ss02.jpg

ss03.jpg

ss04.jpg

Looks pretty.

I must admit I didn't like Ys Celceta as much as Oath and Origin. I've always enjoyed the Ys series as fast-paced 10 hour games. At 25+ hours, Celceta felt like a bit of a chore.

I completely missed the announcement about Xanadu Next coming next year - exciting!

• 1 month later...

Trails of Cold Steel is out on PS3 and Vita on Friday. NIS Europe sent out copies last week so I'm a few hours into it already playing on Vita. I was going to try and complete the Trails in the Sky games before it came out but after going back to FC for a few hours I couldn't get back into it and apparently skipping them doesn't affect ToCS that much.

It's great so far. The loading time for random battles isn't as bad as I'd heard and the updated battle system makes them a lot more interesting than they were in Trails in the Sky and it's nice to wander around 3D towns and dungeons again which all so far have had a nice bright palette.

Glad to hear it's solid. I've been surprised at how well it's reviewed. I hadn't been planning on getting it at release, but all the positive write-ups prompted me to order it today.

I haven't finished Trails in the Sky either. I played through FC some time ago, but I've been putting off the second chapter.

I'm playing through Second Chapter just now and have reached about halfway through.

There's a few little changes but essentially it's playing a bit like the First Chapter. There's definitely more stuff happening at the start rather than trivial events but they've (yet) to feel like they've amounted to anything solid.

Part of this is down to the cliffhanger at the end of the first game since it introduces a whole new idea that they then have to expand on at the start for it to all have any meaning.

Good to hear nice things about Cold Steel 1. I'm chomping at the bit to start it but at the rate I'm going, it'll be mid February before I finish SC!

• 4 weeks later...

35 hours into Trails of Cold Steel now and I think I'm just over a third of the way through. Which is the most time I've put into an game since P3 FES on PS3. The game is very slow paced with a lot of time spent talking to characters but with a quick travel system on the Square button and a map that marks out where your classmates are on the map makes it a lot easier to talk to everyone compared to Trails in the Sky. I ended up switching to the PS3 to play the game because continually pressing Start to skip animation on the Vita was giving me hand cramps and even though it isn't the most visually impressive game on the system it's colour palette looks great on a big tv.

• 3 weeks later...

So it's been a while but good news!

First Ys 8 is releasing in Japan on July 21st on Vita and 2017 on PS4 which is slightly baffling but I can only assume it's due to them still having to fine tune their first PS4 game

Secondly, Trails of Cold Steel 2 has been confirmed for a Fall release in the US for this year so probably Winter for EU again.

And last but not least: Trails in the Sky the 3rd is being released on PC in 2017! After such doom and gloom for the series, this is such great news to hear and brings it one step closer to all the current games being localised, Although Trails to Azure and Trails to Zero will still be a bit of a battle I think....

I've posted this in the Vita thread but The Trails in the Sky PSP games are on offer this week. First Chapter is £11.99 (usually £24.99) and Second Chapter is £14.99 (usually £21.99).

It's annoying 3rd Chapter is going to only be on the PC but with Sony shutting down the PSP storefront they were never going to release it on that format.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...