IGNORED

Falcom Thread - Awww Ys

Mr.Jeff

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Finished Trails of Cold Steel II today and what a fantastic game it was. The world feels a lot bigger than the first game there wasn't character I didn't like and unlike most RPGs the NPCs are worth talking to even if they aren't quest related. I'm now trying to decide whether I should go back and get the Platinum in part 1 of play Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ instead.

• 3 weeks later...

I started Ys VIII on Switch today as well and am enjoying it a lot. Should tide me overly nicely until Octopath Traveler.

Performance is a bit rough - dodgy resolution out in the field, slightly flickery cutscenes, not the best framerate - but all sacrifices I'm willing to accept to be able to play a game like this portably. One thing they really need to fix, though, is the way that in cutscenes the very bottom row of pixels of the image onscreen actually displays at the top of the image*. Bizarre, and I'm not sure how something like that even happens or makes it into a finished product. A month's roadmap of patches is already planned so hopefully it's just a matter of patience.

*Edit: Actually, this isn't only in cutscenes. The whole game runs like this, with the last row of pixels displaying at the top. :lol:

• 2 months later...

Ys newbie here:bye: So I just finished my second playthrough of Ys Origin, my first Ys game. I think I tried to get into Oath in Felghana once but gave it all of 30 minutes before moving on to something else. That I dove right into a second playthrough of Ys Origin straight after finishing it once, that says it all. What a great game! Really fun to play, full of charm, and it's nice and compact. Perfect! Seriously considering a third playthrough with the third character were it not for both Dragon Quest XI and Spider-Man both appearing this week... But whatever happens, Ys 1+2 are definitely getting played!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 03/09/2018 at 23:47, Mr. Gerbik said:

Ys newbie here:bye: So I just finished my second playthrough of Ys Origin, my first Ys game. I think I tried to get into Oath in Felghana once but gave it all of 30 minutes before moving on to something else. That I dove right into a second playthrough of Ys Origin straight after finishing it once, that says it all. What a great game! Really fun to play, full of charm, and it's nice and compact. Perfect! Seriously considering a third playthrough with the third character were it not for both Dragon Quest XI and Spider-Man both appearing this week... But whatever happens, Ys 1+2 are definitely getting played!

So I did end up playing all the way through with the third character in Ys Origin right after posting that. I just couldn't stop! So much fun. Right after that I fired up Ys 1 but oooh boy, that is an *old* game. Dunno if I'll ever bother tbh.

Fast forward to last weekend. Having finished Metro Exodus a week too soon, I was stuck impatiently waiting for Sekiro this Friday. And I also had the entire weekend to myself, the missus staying over at her parents with the little one. Sekiro should've come out last Friday, really. But I didn't want to let this opportunity go to waste - it was maybe the second time since my son was born over 2 years ago that I had an entire weekend completely to myself. So I fired up Ys VI because it looked really similar to Ys Origin.

I played through the entire thing in that one weekend and I loved it! Not as good as Origin though, that had better level design and pacing and bosses, but still fun. No multiple characters as far as I could tell.  A few times I quickly looked up where I was supposed to go or who I was supposed to talk to to progress further as I couldn't be arsed randomly exploring all the areas I'd already been to. In Origin things were a bit clearer.

Still, taken on its own Ys VI was a lot of fun and I guess I'm now a fan of the series? I also kinda bought them all on Steam? Except VIII because I read the PC port was crap? So I'm considering the PS4 version of VIII instead (note that I have zero interest in playing it portable so the Switch version does not appeal).

I also quickly fired up Ys SEVEN (that's how it's written in Steam) afterwards and was disappointed to see that they had switched from the charming sprites of Origin and VI, to butt-ugly PSP level polygonal characters. Yuck. What a mistake to make! Hopefully it will still play well. And I'm definitely playing Oath in Felghana and Memories of Celceta (sp) first because those are still the pretty Ys. 

Looking at screenshots of VIII, the polygonal characters look better than in SEVEN at least but at first glance also lack the charm of the 2D spritework of Origin and VI.

On 25/06/2018 at 22:02, El Spatula said:

It's fucking brilliant. Enjoy! Almost finished it on Steam and it's been amazing all the way through.

How is the PC version in your opion? A quick glance at the Steam forums would suggest that getting stabbed in the eye with an AIDS infested needle would be far preferable to attempting to play the PC version of VIII. Are they exaggerating? I do like the idea of having the entire series (except 5 apparently) on one platform.

Before the patching it was awful. Random crashes between loading transitions, fucked lighting etc. Since then I managed to play through the entire game without any problems whatsoever at 60fps. That was on an i5/970. Fired it up on my new 2600X and 2060 and still no problems. 

It's really, really good.

I'm playing Ys Origins myself at the minute and I'm enjoying it for its SNES like simplicity. It's going to get dropped pretty quickly this Friday when Sekiro releases, but I can definitely see me going back to it. I'm preferring it hugely to both Memories of Celceta and Lacrimosa of Dana, both of which I found overstayed their welcome long before the games ended. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ryodi said:

The UK releases of the Decisive Edition and Relentless Edition of Cold Steel on PS4 are available from the Marvelous store

https://marvelousgames.com/collections/all

Which is annoying because I discovered this after importing the US version and ended up buying Cold Steel 1 twice.

So you pay £10 more for a Steelbook and a token?

On 19/03/2019 at 08:21, Mr. Gerbik said:

So I did end up playing all the way through with the third character in Ys Origin right after posting that. I just couldn't stop! So much fun. Right after that I fired up Ys 1 but oooh boy, that is an *old* game. Dunno if I'll ever bother tbh.

Fast forward to last weekend. Having finished Metro Exodus a week too soon, I was stuck impatiently waiting for Sekiro this Friday. And I also had the entire weekend to myself, the missus staying over at her parents with the little one. Sekiro should've come out last Friday, really. But I didn't want to let this opportunity go to waste - it was maybe the second time since my son was born over 2 years ago that I had an entire weekend completely to myself. So I fired up Ys VI because it looked really similar to Ys Origin.

I played through the entire thing in that one weekend and I loved it! Not as good as Origin though, that had better level design and pacing and bosses, but still fun. No multiple characters as far as I could tell.  A few times I quickly looked up where I was supposed to go or who I was supposed to talk to to progress further as I couldn't be arsed randomly exploring all the areas I'd already been to. In Origin things were a bit clearer.

Still, taken on its own Ys VI was a lot of fun and I guess I'm now a fan of the series? I also kinda bought them all on Steam? Except VIII because I read the PC port was crap? So I'm considering the PS4 version of VIII instead (note that I have zero interest in playing it portable so the Switch version does not appeal).

I also quickly fired up Ys SEVEN (that's how it's written in Steam) afterwards and was disappointed to see that they had switched from the charming sprites of Origin and VI, to butt-ugly PSP level polygonal characters. Yuck. What a mistake to make! Hopefully it will still play well. And I'm definitely playing Oath in Felghana and Memories of Celceta (sp) first because those are still the pretty Ys. 

Looking at screenshots of VIII, the polygonal characters look better than in SEVEN at least but at first glance also lack the charm of the 2D spritework of Origin and VI.

Continuing the epic saga of my love affair with Falcom, I actually ended up buying the PS4 version of Ys VIII shortly after the above post during a sale :lol: While the characters don't look as bad as the horrendous poly monsters of Ys SEVEN, it's still pretty disappointing compared to the lovely and charming sprite characters of the earlier games :( I will give VIII a fair shot someday.

After loving Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim long time (wel, not that long really but I did really enjoy it), Sekiro ended up kicking my ass. As a palate cleanser I ran back to good ol' Falcom and ended up starting my very first Legend of Heroes game! Trials in the Sky FC to be exact, featuring lovely 2D sprites thank god. I've heard a lot of praise about this series but never got round to it. 14 hours in and I've just finished the prologue and  am about the set foot in the direction of Bose. But oh my, this is a bit good, isn't it? I'm having a blast with this game and since the prologue took 14 hours I suspect I will really love long time this time around!

Are all the Trails games good? Are the Cold Steel games even better?

Edit: turns out @Mr.Jeff's very informative opening post is still very informative! Far more so than the incoherent writings you tend to come across when trying to google this stuff. Thanks Mr.Jeff, wherever you are now :)

Why oh why isn't the writing in big budget big name JRPGs anywhere close to what I'm seeing here in Trails in the Sky? It feels like every NPC has its own place in the world and a simple yet believable personality, and with the dialogue constantly reflecting the story progress, the entire game world feels far more alive than is usually the case in this genre. I'm genuinely impressed and, most importantly, I'm having ever more fun playing this the further I get.

Edit: another Japanese JRPG studio that seemingly effortlessly outdoes the rest, is the Ryu ga Gotoku /Yakuza Studio. Makes you wonder what the hell Square was going for with their low budget Saturday morning anime writing in FFXV.

Anyway, Trials in the Sky is lots of fun so far!

• 1 month later...

Totally addicted to TITS at the moment. Finished I yesterday and already started on II. The friendship bond stuff is activating some Persona pleasure centres. The games are very ‘talky’ but the dialogue is good enough to justify that. Even the non-essential stuff like cooking is enjoyable. Recommended to anyone who misses old school JRPGs.

4 hours ago, DumbMagician said:

Totally addicted to TITS at the moment. Finished I yesterday and already started on II. The friendship bond stuff is activating some Persona pleasure centres. The games are very ‘talky’ but the dialogue is good enough to justify that. Even the non-essential stuff like cooking is enjoyable. Recommended to anyone who misses old school JRPGs.

• 4 months later...

Started TOCS 3, only a little way in but love it like the others. This is comfort gaming to me. They tweak things like the combat menus slightly, and overall it’s a little slicker, but it’s the same old Trails and I love that. But have I become the equivalent of a change-fearing old twat who watches Heartbeat? :blah:

• 2 weeks later...