IGNORED

Falcom Thread - Awww Ys

Mr.Jeff

As with every other Cold Steel game I have completed Chapter 1 with a A Rank because I missed one quest right at he start. But apart from that annoyance I'm really enjoying it so far, the story has a nice pace to it and I like all of the new characters. As someone who still hasn't completed Trails in the Sky or played the other games that have not been translated that happen between Cold Steel 2 and Cold Steel 3 in the timeline there are some gaps in the story that the game doesn't really fill in but I haven't found that to be a big problem so far.

Unless it loses its way, Ys VIII is an incredible videogame which appears to have been massively overlooked. The way the bosses will be kicking your arse, and then suddenly you start countering them and turn the tide is fantastic. And the exploration has been really addictive so far. I'm about 10 hours in and in love. I can take or leave the flashback dream sequences (thankfully rare) but everything else I'm completely on board with.

I should get back to it, I bought it on switch a while back when it was on sale but I drifted away to other games after 3 hours or so. To be honest in that time it didn't really grab me, it seemed a bit generic and it didn't help its quite rough looking graphically. Guess I should persevere and dig a little deeper. 

On 27/12/2019 at 09:31, Timmo said:

Unless it loses its way, Ys VIII is an incredible videogame which appears to have been massively overlooked. The way the bosses will be kicking your arse, and then suddenly you start countering them and turn the tide is fantastic. And the exploration has been really addictive so far. I'm about 10 hours in and in love. I can take or leave the flashback dream sequences (thankfully rare) but everything else I'm completely on board with.

yeah the combat mechanics are the pinnacle for ys games I think. Accessible but skill based and very satisfying throughout. Can wait for IX and the vita remaster!

• 4 months later...
On 19/03/2019 at 08:13, mdn2 said:

I'm playing Ys Origins myself at the minute and I'm enjoying it for its SNES like simplicity. It's going to get dropped pretty quickly this Friday when Sekiro releases, but I can definitely see me going back to it. I'm preferring it hugely to both Memories of Celceta and Lacrimosa of Dana, both of which I found overstayed their welcome long before the games ended. 

Me too it's a fantastic game proper hooked on it at the moment. 

17 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Ys Origins is superb, I even played through it three times in a row - something I never ever do nowadays, no matter how short a game might be! It's so much fun and plays so well.

The combat and gameplay just has that addictive one more go element and it’s so much fun wailing through the enemies.  Only playing as Yunica at the moment and just got her dads Firesword. 

Think I’ll happily play it through with the other characters, it’s perfect for pick up and play on Vita.  

My PS4 copy of Lacrimosa is on its way 

I went through YS Origin 3 time’s as well and I think it’s quite encouraging due to the shorter runs per individual play compared to a lot of big JRPG’s. The story of the first two is different enough but the third one has even bigger changes which I found to be more interesting in the way it turns things on its head perspective wise. Won’t go into it obviously but it’s cool and you’ll get to see the proper end boss. 

Think i I played it about 45 hours to do all three runs together. 

So finished the first run through as Yunica yesterday evening and utterly adored my time with the game. 

So imagine my surprise when I start as Hugo and I’m now playing a shooter. Was not expecting that. 

Last boss took me a few attempts to kill mind. 

• 3 weeks later...

So that's me now starting Cold Steel 1 today and yup think it's got me right off the bat.  

I know you should play tits prior but I feel OK with what it's thrown at me so far.  It's been a Falcom start to my year and they really are very good at this RPG stuff aren't they.  

Should add I've not played trails in the sky either are they worth getting on Vita? 

And I've just started Ys VIII which makes a rough first impression with its Vita-tastic graphics. I'm playing on PS4 on a big telly, so it takes a bit getting used to. Ironically, Ys Origin is older and more old fashioned with its 2D sprites, yet looks miles better. Good sprite work ages better and is timeless. While older polygon based games look rough going back to them, unless they have a stylised look to them (Jet Set Radio and Vagrant Story come to mind). 

That's so far the only negative though, once you get used to the basic looks and even more basic animations, it plays really well and - crucially - is a lot of fun. The characters and the story are complete bobbins but there's a certain charm to it. And it's addictive! Exploring is really fun so far. 

Gerbik Seal of Approval! (tm)

23 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

And I've just started Ys VIII which makes a rough first impression with its Vita-tastic graphics. I'm playing on PS4 on a big telly, so it takes a bit getting used to. Ironically, Ys Origin is older and more old fashioned with its 2D sprites, yet looks miles better. Good sprite work ages better and is timeless. While older polygon based games look rough going back to them, unless they have a stylised look to them (Jet Set Radio and Vagrant Story come to mind). 

That's so far the only negative though, once you get used to the basic looks and even more basic animations, it plays really well and - crucially - is a lot of fun. The characters and the story are complete bobbins but there's a certain charm to it. And it's addictive! Exploring is really fun so far. 

Gerbik Seal of Approval! (tm)

Yet there’s a surprising amount of slowdown.

The PS4 port of Ys Memories of Celceta is out in a week and a half (19th June). £24.99/€29.99. Bargain.

https://marvelousgames.com/blogs/games/ys-memories-of-celceta

4 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Yet there’s a surprising amount of slowdown.

The PS4 port of Ys Memories of Celceta is out in a week and a half (19th June). £24.99/€29.99. Bargain.

https://marvelousgames.com/blogs/games/ys-memories-of-celceta

Anything different to the Vita version cos I did spend a lot of time on that and finished it. So am on the fence a bit. 

42 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Anything different to the Vita version cos I did spend a lot of time on that and finished it. So am on the fence a bit. 

I think it’s just an updated port. Higher resolution, 60FPS. I didn’t play it on the Vita so I’m very much looking forward to it.

6 hours ago, cassidy said:

So that's me now starting Cold Steel 1 today and yup think it's got me right off the bat.  

I know you should play tits prior but I feel OK with what it's thrown at me so far.  It's been a Falcom start to my year and they really are very good at this RPG stuff aren't they.  

Should add I've not played trails in the sky either are they worth getting on Vita? 

I was recently looking into Trails of Cold Steel as I was thinking about picking up a new JRPG soon (turns out I’ve today gone for Star Ocean The last Hope on PS3 anyway) and it’s  kind of intrigued me because I know there are a few like 4 of them or something. Also the PS3 games are both on the PS4 as well, enhanced. 

Now about two weeks ago I started watching a video on YT where some guy talks about “Why you should play all the other trails games first and points out an order and extensive lore”. I heard that the best version to play of Trails in the Sky is the PC port which came out on Steam and probably GOG maybe. I personally was intrigued by the physical release as I tend to like that sort of thing except the vita version just seems too expensive for the game. 

Going back to YS Origin, did you play through the third character after Hugo? You reminded me of how I went through it because I chose the girl initially and then went with Hugo I think. Remember the difference in play style being quite different. The third character was really intriguing from a story perspective. 

5 hours ago, Soulstar said:

Going back to YS Origin, did you play through the third character after Hugo? You reminded me of how I went through it because I chose the girl initially and then went with Hugo I think. Remember the difference in play style being quite different. The third character was really intriguing from a story perspective. 

Not yet still on my Hugo playthrough but I’m post the devil’s gaze so not much left.  

• 2 weeks later...

Still playing Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana on PS4. Didn't have a lot of time to play lately so only 30 hours in and just crossed the mountain (trying to be vague to avoid spoilers).

I'm still loving it but fucking hell the

Spoiler

playing as Dana

part is boooooooooooooring.

In the rest of the game I have to constantly force myself to stop playing otherwise I could see myself playing this all night, and I can't really afford that right now. But man is it ever addictive, and it plays so well! But then along comes

Spoiler

Dana

and each time I have to force myself to keep playing instead. Such a shame. Otherwise, fantastic game!

(Note for anyone thinking about buying Ys VIII: the bit I'm complaining about is so far about 2% of the game. The other 98% is fantastic and highly recommended!)

I'm about 35hrs into CS1 and really enjoying it. It's a more traditional and turnbased Jrpg but it's just comfort gaming and pretty good all told. 

On chapter 5 and just completed the old schoolhouse for the 5th time now. Story and world building is as good as they say. Turns out all the main characters are growing on me as well. 

Looking forward to diving into CS2 soon as I'm done. 

Ys 8 is certainly baggier than the previous Ys games I'd played, (7 and Celceta), a lot more chat and cutscenes and side quests and it takes a while for the story to really start, but it's also better than them overall. Very fun game. 

That ps4 Celceta port should be worthwhile because the Vita version sort of looked like a PSP game with a blur filter on. 

I've had Ys:Memories of Celceta sat on my Vita for ages, might need to dip in there soon.

In the meantime I've been playing Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ on the PS4 (it's part of PS Now) and am enjoying it a lot. I think its pretty different from their other stuff in terms of style, and it looks very much like the upscaled Vita port it is, but I'm having a ton of fun with it. Cheeky Persona reference in there as well which it takes some pointers from. Recommended for anyone who wants something a bit different