IGNORED

Better Call Saul!

Doctor Shark

I've only just finished up with the first series having started it when it first came out last year. I thought the symmetry of the con him and his mate were pulling was beautiful, I didn't see what happened coming. 

Watched the first of S2 aswell. Watching Bob Odenkirk is just such a pleasure. Plus, has Rhea Seehorn (Kim Wexler) got the huskiest, sexist voice? 

I really enjoyed that, I love the world and the style of the show - great to be back but the week wait is going to be painful!

Spoiler

I wonder what the significance of the switch is, has to be a big moment as he wouldn't go out the door with the similar note saying not to do it!?!?

1 hour ago, yashiro said:
  Hide contents

He didn't go out of the door because it specifically said the police would be called.

Hardly anything cryptic about that unless you had no idea Saul was on the run.

Spoiler

That's what I thought at first, that he didn't want to potentially expose himself to police when he is effectively in hiding but according to the Insider podcast that moment was meant to signify something else. It sounded like their intention with that door was to show how he's lost his edge and sense of daring, as a contrast to the end that shows the switch scene as a symbol of how he was before.

4 hours ago, yashiro said:
  Hide contents

He didn't go out of the door because it specifically said the police would be called.

Hardly anything cryptic about that unless you had no idea Saul was on the run.

Spoiler

I thought the Police bit was too easy as soon as the bit with the switch at the end, I'm with Capwn and now remember the excellent pod cast is back and ready to listen too!!

It feels so sumptious (maybe not the right word) but the way you know those shots must have taken hours to set up only to be used for a second or twos worth of screen time. The shot through the Mercedes badge being one example, the care lavished on the show is amazing.

I do love it and I find it really watchable, but I do wish they'd move a bit faster. It feels so slow because it deals in the minutiae of every scene, and having to wait a week for a new episode is hard work.

I might park it for a couple of years, so I can watch it the same was as I did with Breaking Bad - watched all the episodes of the early seasons over a few weeks and finally caught up with things for the last season.

20 hours ago, JPickford said:

Loving it.  Didn't care for Kim being his concience/kill joy at the end of the episode though.   Who needs another Skyler to spoil the fun?

This is why I don't usually like prequels - we don't see Kim in BB, so it's a safe bet they're in a doomed relationship, and I find that casts a pall over scenes like the end of the latest episode. This is what put me off BB initially - I have an aversion to anything that kicks off with a 'six months earlier' or something similar. But you can't let your aversions rule your life, and BCS is certainly wonderful stuff. I'm in the opposite corner to Jon, I think - I want more minutiae. By season three I expect to be watching 30 minute scenes where Jimmy is just sharpening his pencils., and I expect to be enjoying it.

It's not the minutiae I don't like, I think it's great and really helps develop the characters traits and personalities, it's the week between episodes that gets me. I just wish they'd launch the series as a whole, so people can choose how they want to watch it.

7 minutes ago, Jon said:

It's not the minutiae I don't like, I think it's great and really helps develop the characters traits and personalities, it's the week between episodes that gets me. I just wish they'd launch the series as a whole, so people can choose how they want to watch it.

Oh, I see, apologies for casting aspersions on your appreciation of minutiae. I certainly benefited from having access to whole seasons when I really got into BB, but I think I do like the weekly wait for BCS. But it's probably just nostalgia for the 70s, like everything else I feel.

5 hours ago, Rowan Morrison said:

Oh, I see, apologies for casting aspersions on your appreciation of minutiae. I certainly benefited from having access to whole seasons when I really got into BB, but I think I do like the weekly wait for BCS. But it's probably just nostalgia for the 70s, like everything else I feel.

There's a lot of good in weekly episodes.  It may be annoying not to have the option to "bingewatch"  the "boxsets" ( I despise those terms) but some TV shows are built are built around the gap.