Better Call Saul!

Captain Kelsten

Spoiler

Didnt Chuck fall down the stairs last episode or something? It's like he dies every other episode.

On a related note, interesting finale. Didn't realise the old-lady-scam would screw Jimmy over so much, damn that fallout. At least he fixed it but Jimmy gets nothing?!

Is there a Season 4?

Just now, buizel said:

Didnt Chuck fall down the stairs last episode or something? It's like he dies every other episode.

On a related note, interesting finale. Didn't realise the old-lady-scam would screw Jimmy over so much, damn that fallout. At least he fixed it but Jimmy gets nothing?!

Is there a Season 4?

Can you spoiler that please - its barely been out a few hours.

I cried :(

Spoiler

I mean, I know there's plenty of reasons for it, and yet I still don't get it. He's not the type to give up like that. What was with the whole 'get rid of electricity' part of the episode? Did he just want to return his home to normal before getting annoyed? An accomulation of being frustrated he hasn't fully recovered/won't be a lawyer again? He still, to the end, couldn't accept Jimmy as a brother/friend/let bygones be bygones/don't try to one-up him?

So frustratingly sad.

His partner tried to be as honest as he can be, and yet you could say that was what broke him.

Spoiler

The foreshadowing of what he wanted out of his retirement party and what he 'got' was painful as well.

1 hour ago, Nicky said:

well you did a terrible job at trying to not spoil anything.

I thought my comment was vague enough it wasn't spoilery - being told to spoiler it gave it weight and meaning. THX GOTTERS.

REGARDLESS, too much arguing over semantics on these forums it drags down discussion too often.

56 minutes ago, NEG said:

I cried :(

Hide contents

I mean, I know there's plenty of reasons for it, and yet I still don't get it. He's not the type to give up like that. What was with the whole 'get rid of electricity' part of the episode? Did he just want to return his home to normal before getting annoyed? An accomulation of being frustrated he hasn't fully recovered/won't be a lawyer again? He still, to the end, couldn't accept Jimmy as a brother/friend/let bygones be bygones/don't try to one-up him?

So frustratingly sad.

His partner tried to be as honest as he can be, and yet you could say that was what broke him.

Hide contents

The foreshadowing of what he wanted out of his retirement party and what he 'got' was painful as well.

Spoiler

I dont really get it either, I guess he was mentally ill and he was trying to convince others he was fine. It's very confusing, really hope we get a Season 4, so many loose ends and at the same time none at all.. 

I was also confused by the Salamanca plotline, him taking over Nachos dads business then what? Maybe I need to rewatch it a few times. Ive seen the entire show of BB like 3 or 4 times so maybe I didnt fully understand that when it was on. 

Some great posts over on IGN: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/better-call-saul-season-3-discussion-thread.454952022/page-7

Spoiler

Date Posted: Yesterday at 9:09 PM #307

It's funny, during Season 1 I thought for sure that one of Chuck's lanterns was going to get knocked over, kill him in the fire and it would be what kills Jimmy McGill. I figured it would be the senseless loss of his loving brother that did it.

Two seasons later Chuck is a completely reprehensible person who destroyed his own life with his shitty insecurities and committed suicide.

Ultimately the two brothers went nuclear on each other and achieved a form of mutually-assured destruction. Jimmy and Chuck's actions in tandem have destroyed each other.

Chuck beat Jimmy this season but it cost him everything. Pyrrhic victory doesn't begin to describe it. Chuck lost his only family, his only friend, his career and his relationship with his ex-wife.

In this episode we saw the true difference between Chuck's perception of Jimmy and who Jimmy really is. Chuck insists that Jimmy's remorse is pointless, as he'll just do something wrong again. But when push came to shove, Jimmy's remorse was enough that he not only cost him $1.3 million (in the short term), he cost himself his blossoming practice. Jimmy gave up everything he had, all of the progress he'd worked so hard for, just to undo the damage he'd done. What did Chuck do when it was made apparent the damage he'd done? Doubled down on his position, assured himself he was right and killed himself.

The irony is that both brothers were making huge strides at self-improvement. Jimmy had a great practice and in a relatively benign branch of law that made him a genuine asset to the community (in contrast to Kim's focus on corporate law, which she finds spiritually unsatisfying). Chuck finally acknowledged his mental illness, learned to cope with it and was piecing his life back together. But the destructive force of Chuck - not Jimmy - ruined it all.

What an awesome piece of television.

Spoiler

Season 4 is going to be even better because next year is the 10th anniversary of BB so you know they'll make it good.

1 hour ago, NEG said:

Some great posts over on IGN: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/better-call-saul-season-3-discussion-thread.454952022/page-7

Hide contents

Date Posted: Yesterday at 9:09 PM #307

It's funny, during Season 1 I thought for sure that one of Chuck's lanterns was going to get knocked over, kill him in the fire and it would be what kills Jimmy McGill. I figured it would be the senseless loss of his loving brother that did it.

Two seasons later Chuck is a completely reprehensible person who destroyed his own life with his shitty insecurities and committed suicide.

Ultimately the two brothers went nuclear on each other and achieved a form of mutually-assured destruction. Jimmy and Chuck's actions in tandem have destroyed each other.

Chuck beat Jimmy this season but it cost him everything. Pyrrhic victory doesn't begin to describe it. Chuck lost his only family, his only friend, his career and his relationship with his ex-wife.

In this episode we saw the true difference between Chuck's perception of Jimmy and who Jimmy really is. Chuck insists that Jimmy's remorse is pointless, as he'll just do something wrong again. But when push came to shove, Jimmy's remorse was enough that he not only cost him $1.3 million (in the short term), he cost himself his blossoming practice. Jimmy gave up everything he had, all of the progress he'd worked so hard for, just to undo the damage he'd done. What did Chuck do when it was made apparent the damage he'd done? Doubled down on his position, assured himself he was right and killed himself.

The irony is that both brothers were making huge strides at self-improvement. Jimmy had a great practice and in a relatively benign branch of law that made him a genuine asset to the community (in contrast to Kim's focus on corporate law, which she finds spiritually unsatisfying). Chuck finally acknowledged his mental illness, learned to cope with it and was piecing his life back together. But the destructive force of Chuck - not Jimmy - ruined it all.

What an awesome piece of television.

Hide contents

Season 4 is going to be even better because next year is the 10th anniversary of BB so you know they'll make it good.

I heard a S4 wasnt even confirmed yet.

I really hope there is more to come - while it could serve as a finale I don't think it would be so satisfying.

Lots of unanswered questions like, how does Jimmy get to where he is in BB? What about Nacho? Where ma Kimbo goin'? Saul's assistant girl who leaves? JESSE PINKMAN CAMEO (this will deffo happen in S4 I feel, even if it's just a passing mention/look).

Weirdly enough I wouldnt mind seeing more of Howard, I've kinda grown to like him compared to the start when I thought he was one of the weakest 'mains'.

2 hours ago, Benny said:

Worst finale ever.

Hide contents

No Mike.

Honestly, he's not bringing so much interesting to the table. He's a good actor, and I loved him in BB, but most of Mike in BCS is him heavy breathing, putting attachments on guns, or doing a mundane task to splinter cell music

Just now, buizel said:

Honestly, he's not bringing so much interesting to the table. He's a good actor, and I loved him in BB, but most of Mike in BCS is him heavy breathing, putting attachments on guns, or doing a mundane task to splinter cell music

Disagree.

2 minutes ago, jonamok said:

That was great. Dear God let there be more.

Mike Ehrmantraut/Jonathan Banks absolutely made this and all three series of BCS.

Buizel is mental.

Okay, look, I really like every scene he's in, he brings intensity with whatever he's doing, I just feel like he hasn't... done.. much interesting or relevant. Outside of pretending to be a builder-guy in Chucks house. Maybe there wasn't enough of Mike..

We already know he ends up being Gus' 'guy', so they have to make the 'how' interesting. I can't even remember why he's Gus's guy except for him making a good deal for himself after getting in the way of Salamancas business, and it working out for both of them (and Mike having the sense to take advantage of it).

Maybe ill watch the series again from Season 1. Honestly, it took me two watches of BCS to really get into it because I wasn't sure how long it would stick around for and I didnt want to get too invested in characters that might not be great.

26 minutes ago, jonamok said:

And re. Chuck...

Hide contents

Do we assume a genuine suicide attempt? That he's a gonner? Or just a cry for help, and he'll wander out into the night?

Spoiler

When I was watching that final scene, I was wondering why he kept tapping his foot on the table. His face looked... real out of it, like he was maybe on some kind of medication? He then seemed to be hitting the table with purpose, not just tapping it. Kinda confusing, like... he was hesitant to knock over the lantern?

If it wasn't a suicide attempt, and the gas presumable isnt/cant be on, then he has a chance of escaping considering the house didnt blow up and the fire started... slowly. He could literally get up and jump/run out the door/window, though that would feel cheap. Damn though, imagine dying like that... talk about a slow burn

I feel like it was made intentionally to make us ask that question, the camera could have lingered on the burning house longer which wouldve helped cement the idea it was a suicide and its final. Or im an idiot and it was clearly a suicide attempt/not a suicide attempt. 

Anyway, as mentioned before, i recall this show having some sort of "gasp, chuck's dead!" moment before, at least once or twice. He could just be burned/disfigured, but at this stage in the show im pretty certain he's dead. Seems so abrupt, the more I think about it the sadder/more depressing it is, even though I pretty much hated him for being such a jerk to Jimmy and how much of his ego/pride he holds on - an act like this.. can't despise him fully because he must have been aware of the damage he was doing to commit suicide.

Though why was he so mean to Jimmy before suiciding? Did he really not care about Jimmy much at all? Or did he just want to make Jimmy feel bad AF and this was his ultimate revenge?

More Chuck stuff:

Spoiler

Thinking about it, his death is Jimmy's fault. If he hadn't done the insurance shit on Chuck in a fit of jealousy/rage Chuck could have continued improving, being his selfish non-brother loving Chuck self. It hasn't occurred to Jimmy yet but I think, if we see Hamlen next season, he's going to feel a lot more regret then he was visiting Chuck. He'd gotten what he wanted: didn't lose his Lawyer license, and showed up Chuck. He didn't have to do the insurance thing.

Yes, Chuck deserved it to some degree, but he also could have not burnt his own bridges towards the end, made amends, like Jimmy did. (the contrast of the episode)

Various other things from videos/articles:

* The pills Chuck drank are known for giving depressive/suicidal thoughts in worst cases (made very clear as he writes the name of the drug down in the journal). When you've lost everything and have only broken walls to stare at during the night, well...

* It's fairly likely, being Chuck, that he's left nothing for Jimmy in his will. So the 9million will most likely not be seen by Jimmy. Fairly obvious, I know, but worth mentioning. It'll be another blow.

* It'll most likely not be seen as a suicide attempt but an accident.

* Hamlen showed Chuck up as no better then Jimmy (thinking of himself) and Chuck may have realized this, in the end.

Spoiler

I was convinced they were going to succumb to dramatic irony and Chuck was going to electrocute himself looking for that elusive power source. Perhaps sadder what actually happened.

Also, not sure why Gus hung around when the ambulances arrived. It wouldn't have been good for his reputation if they'd started asking questions.

22 minutes ago, NEG said:

More Chuck stuff:

Hide contents

Thinking about it, his death is Jimmy's fault. If he hadn't done the insurance shit on Chuck in a fit of jealousy/rage Chuck could have continued improving, being his selfish non-brother loving Chuck self. It hasn't occurred to Jimmy yet but I think, if we see Hamlen next season, he's going to feel a lot more regret then he was visiting Chuck. He'd gotten what he wanted: didn't lose his Lawyer license, and showed up Chuck. He didn't have to do the insurance thing.

Yes, Chuck deserved it to some degree, but he also could have not burnt his own bridges towards the end, made amends, like Jimmy did. (the contrast of the episode)

Various other things from videos/articles:

* The pills Chuck drank are known for giving depressive/suicidal thoughts in worst cases (made very clear as he writes the name of the drug down in the journal). When you've lost everything and have only broken walls to stare at during the night, well...

* It's fairly likely, being Chuck, that he's left nothing for Jimmy in his will. So the 9million will most likely not be seen by Jimmy. Fairly obvious, I know, but worth mentioning. It'll be another blow.

* It'll most likely not be seen as a suicide attempt but an accident.

* Hamlen showed Chuck up as no better then Jimmy (thinking of himself) and Chuck may have realized this, in the end.

re:chuck

Spoiler

A lot of anti-depressant/anti-anxiety pills come with a warning that they may induce suicidal thoughts, depression, anxiety etc - especially during the first few months of treatment.

Who would Chuck leave the will to? HHM? Who else does he have? Didn't he have a wife or something at some point?

If Jimmy believes it to be an accident and not suicide, then... thats a big one. Wonder what emotions Jimmy will feel...

I still feel theres ways to go before Jimmy becomes Saul Goodman. I don't mean theres a HUGE difference between them - but the part of Saul that rubs me the wrong way is when he suggests to kill Jesse Pinkman in BB... I think Jimmy has a little way to go before he's that kinda crook. They even made him pay for the old-lady scam, which 1. Is nice because it paints Jimmy as a nicer character, and I don't believe he's a bad guy at heart but 2. Making him fix what he did kinda pushes Jimmy back into morally-good territory, and reverse or where he should be ending up (i feel)

4 minutes ago, Wroth said:
  Hide contents

Not sure what Gus saw, but he knows Nacho dun did it!

Probably the biggest loose-end on this show, Nacho. That gives me more hope of a Season 4

'It costs a lot to have a consious, doesn't it?' for Badger scene is a good one as well for showing the difference of where we're headed.

Spoiler

When divorced it normally goes to next of kin instead, but he may have certainly made a will.

Your right about pills but it's one of those small attention to detail things I wouldn't be surprised if they looked up. Sleepness the night before also didn't help (which apparently those pills can also cause)

Young Chuck did a really good impression of old Chuck's voice.

I'd forgotten they already talked about the story they were reading at the start in the first episode of the season - The Adventures of Mabel. Was there any more significance to that scene other than a callback and the foreshadowing of the lantern?

8 hours ago, buizel said:

Hide contents

I was also confused by the Salamanca plotline, him taking over Nachos dads business then what? Maybe I need to rewatch it a few times. Ive seen the entire show of BB like 3 or 4 times so maybe I didnt fully understand that when it was on. 

Spoiler

It was made clear, this week and in previous weeks.

The big boss (Don Eladio, the guy with the pool that they were giving the money to earlier in the season) wanted *all* "product" to be smuggled over the border using Gus' chicken trucks (something Gus wanted to happen - it's why he had Mike attack Hector's trucks).

Hector disagreed with this, so decided to force Nacho to "allow" Hector to use Nacho's father's business for his own smuggling, instead of using Gus' chicken trucks.

2 hours ago, James Lyon said:

Young Chuck did a really good impression of old Chuck's voice.

It was so good wasn't it? Even from afar I was linking the voice and mannerisms to Chuck, even looked like him. 

Even after reading everything, I still don't quite understand what happened. Hopefully the podcast will help make sense of it.