rllmuk
Doctor Shark

Better Call Saul!

Mike’s character is just ridiculous these days. He was never believable as a hard man but he looks way too old these days. He needs some of those anti ageing effects they used in the Irishman. 

Dunno if it was original score or lifted songs, but the music this week was utterly fantastic.

Yeah, the music was great. Does anyone know what the tune was when Saul was smashing up Howard’s car?

4 hours ago, JPL said:

;Yeah, the music was great. Does anyone know what the tune was when Saul was smashing up Howard’s car?

I think it was this, diskhat1 by Aphex Twin 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

I think it was this, diskhat1 by Aphex Twin 

That’s it! Great tune.

Poor Howard, he didn't deserve that shit at all, even if he was being absurdly optimistic to believe they could have a fresh start (basically Jimmy echoing Walt's rejection of the Brain Matter offer). While he's often appeared in the role of an antagonist to Jimmy and even Kim, he's a good fella and his only two crimes were allowing himself to serve as Chuck's fall guy and the time he punished Kim for Jimmy's Davis & Main antics. Even then, when she left there was no hard feelings and he wrote off her tuition loans as a goodwill gesture.

We know Jimmy and Mike are fucked but I really want/hope for Howard, Kim and Nacho to just get out of this shit intact.

3 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Nacho? Not a chance in hell of that happening.

I wouldn’t be so sure. When Saul first makes an appearance in BB, he’s out in the desert with Walt and Jesse thinking they’re going to kill him and he says “Did Ignacio put you up to this?”

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Nacho? Not a chance in hell of that happening.

If poor Robert Forster hadn't snuffed it, I would have expected Nacho to be how Jimmy first learns about everyone's favourite vacuum repair shop.

I think from Howard's point of view it was realistic that he might believe he and Jimmy could get along.  Throughout the entire run Jimmy has done the right thing (sometimes in the end after not doing initially) but he's been scuppered by Chuck.  Howard was very honest at the lunch explaining that he should have stood up to Chuck and Jimmy was always a great Lawyer.  

• Upvote 1

On 12/03/2020 at 13:30, JPL said:

I wouldn’t be so sure. When Saul first makes an appearance in BB, he’s out in the desert with Walt and Jesse thinking they’re going to kill him and he says “Did Ignacio put you up to this?”

Spoiler

On 11/03/2020 at 14:26, Mr Combo Breaker said:

fucking Howard, what's he playing at??

Think I literally used these words while watching the lunch scene. :lol:

The man can’t be trusted!

What was that ranch at the end of this week's episode? The Salamanca ranch? 

You know you're fucked when

Spoiler

Even Jimmy is advising against doing something.

Why? 

Spoiler

Why is Kim so determined about this case, she has such a bright future ahead of her, so why is she doing her best to wreck it? Doesn't seem in character for her? 

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Why? 

Hide contents

Why is Kim so determined about this case, she has such a bright future ahead of her, so why is she doing her best to wreck it? Doesn't seem in character for her? 

Kim is conflicted.  She sees what Jimmy is doing and sees the cumulative effect as being a negative for the world.  He's defending the obviously guilty, using tricks to win the case at any cost.  Kim realises that all the shit Jimmy went through was of other people's doing (like how Chuck scuppered his chances of working at HHM).  The worst thing Jimmy did was when he turned the Sandpiper residents against the one woman in order to get his pay sooner, but even then he saw better of it and sacrificed his reputation to get the old folks friends again.  

Yep, Jimmy was a good guy at heart, but this is Breaking Bad territory and we are watching him transform into Scarface's lawyer. Saul is a criminal lawyer, with the emphasis on criminal.  He's doing dodgy tricks for guilty clients and bringing the "slipping Jimmy" into the courtroom, which is exactly the behaviour that Chuck disliked. 

She's a respectable lawyer, playing by the rules, working for big reputable companies.  Saul is a bad guy, and she doesn't like it.

And then it suddenly hits her - she's not who she thinks.  When she does the pro-bono work she is happy, she is making a difference.  When she works for Mesa Verde she finds herself kicking someone out of their own home to build a call centre and she's the bad guy.  So she's trying to do the right thing, and that is incompatible with her work, her boss, etc.  I think next step is she has to fight for Mesa Verde, against Jimmy in court and the two of them will concoct a script where they fight, but she ultimately messes up.

Best thing on TV

• Upvote 8

And don’t forget Kim quite enjoys Jimmy’s little schemes, like when they worked together at the bar to con the annoying business man from Breaking Bad. 

I love Kim too but I am terribly, terribly afraid for her and wish to god she'd taken Jimmy and Schwikart's advice to just walk away. This is only going to end badly for her and she's too good for me to want to see it. I should also add Jimmy's various scams and ruses to delay the demolition were amazing.

Also, Mike should have chilled the fuck out the moment that nice old lady was cooking up a delicious looking/sounding meal. That little village looked delightful!

• Upvote 3

Mike and his woodwork skills again. Gilligan does seem to have a thing for 'wood shop' - remember Jessie and his box.

I've thought all along that Kim

Spoiler

was going to end up dead but I'm now starting to think she will turn up to help Jimmy out of his Cinnabon predicament.

That was bloody brilliant, I don't know why Jimmy and Kim retelling the golf club story was so good, but it really was captivating. :lol:

• Upvote 2

My favourite scene was

Spoiler

Mike starting to Mcgyver that shit when his phone had run out of battery, with the tense music and everything (so we're all thinking, what is Mike up to now etc) only for the nice lady to hand him a charger :lol:. It's amazing when the show is also this self aware.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Benny said:

My favourite scene was

Hide contents

Mike starting to Mcgyver that shit when his phone had run out of battery, with the tense music and everything (so we're all thinking, what is Mike up to now etc) only for the nice lady to hand him a charger :lol:. It's amazing when the show is also this self aware.

Oh that's what it was! So stupid I missed that - I thought it was some essential component for his contraption, hinting that the kindly old lady was actually some electronics whiz. Doh.

10 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Mike and his woodwork skills again. Gilligan does seem to have a thing for 'wood shop' - remember Jessie and his box.

I've thought all along that Kim

Hide contents

was going to end up dead but I'm now starting to think she will turn up to help Jimmy out of his Cinnabon predicament.

This is what I'm hoping for becuase I can't face 

Spoiler

her being killed due to Jimmy getting involved with criminals.

This season has been so great, the ruses to keep this house this week so good.

I loved the arc this show has taken overall from Season 1 to now. We're in full on Breaking Bad teritory now where as the first 2 season (at least) we're so far removed from BB baring the setting and a few cameos. Definitely the best TV going at the moment.