Better Call Saul!

Captain Kelsten

9 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Is there a date yet? I don’t really want to watch the trailer so apologies if it’s in there.

It states 18th April, two episodes in the first week, then one each week onwards. A total of thirteen episodes split into two parts.

• 3 weeks later...

The first two episodes have been released to critics to review:

IndieWire

'The final season of the impeccable AMC show maintains an impossibly high bar for finely crafted TV, with Bob Odenkirk and Rhea Seehorn leading the way.'

Grade: A

Consequence

'The Beginning of the End Is As Exquisitely Stressful As Ever The Breaking Bad spinoff begins its final run of episodes as strongly as ever before'

Entertainment Weekly

'The (leisurely, tense, funny, horrifying) end begins Kim Wexler is still the best.'

Grade: A-

Yahoo

'An Exquisite Start to the Beginning of the End'

Grade: A

I plan on rewatching the entire thing from the start. I need something to immerse myself in after Elden Ring and very few things are going to fit the bill.

On 04/04/2022 at 22:36, jonamok said:

Oh God, it’s going to be amazing and utterly, horribly tense

The final series of a prequel to another show, but there is as much intrigue and suspense as the final season of any other show even though we know the fate of half the main characters as we’ve already seen it.

I wonder how much closure we get on post BB Saul? A proper ending? something that ties together with what we see play out in the past? 

Given BB is one the best TV shows ever made and this might just be better already then if this final season maintains quality and finishes well then it’s potentially the best TV show ever isn’t it.  So far, it’s been consistently brilliant through every season with no dips in quality or a season with a subplot storyline that drags.

Might just be better? Everyone who watches it already knows BCS is way better than Breaking Bad, unless they’ve never seen Breaking Bad and consequently have no way of telling.

Saul is fantastic and all, but I'm watching Breaking Bad again right now and it's still the best TV ever made.

That there's a discussion to be had at all shows just how good Saul is, though.

21 hours ago, Jonnysaxc said:

Sometimes looking forward to things like this keeps me going!

I think when I tried to come up with culture-based reasons to make it through the pandemic, waiting to see how this turned out was the first thing I thought of. Nearly made it!

I'm on my own with this, but I keep seeing articles online saying that there are more opportunities for BB characters to join BCS when the story gets closer to the start of BB. I think this is a bad idea.  We know that Walt and Jesse have no involvement with Saul until Series 2 of BB.  Putting them in BCS looks like fan service.  If they do, they really need to tread carefully.  BCS is equally as good as BB, but it has easily become its own show.  It's not relying on its BB connections to get viewers.  You can watch it even if you've never seen BB.  It doesn't need Walt to turn up, it's better than that.

22 hours ago, dumpster said:

I'm on my own with this, but I keep seeing articles online saying that there are more opportunities for BB characters to join BCS when the story gets closer to the start of BB. I think this is a bad idea.  We know that Walt and Jesse have no involvement with Saul until Series 2 of BB.  Putting them in BCS looks like fan service.  If they do, they really need to tread carefully.  BCS is equally as good as BB, but it has easily become its own show.  It's not relying on its BB connections to get viewers.  You can watch it even if you've never seen BB.  It doesn't need Walt to turn up, it's better than that.

There is an element of time skipping though, as the black and white Cinnabon scenes with Gene are post Breaking Bad I believe, so getting to that point could include some BB characters. 

BCS is so much better than BB by the way. 

On 15/04/2022 at 08:49, dumpster said:

If you watch Bob’s latest interview on Jimmy Fallon (YouTube) you’ll find out if Walt and Jessie turn up….

I just started my complete series rewatch.

Even from episode 1 it comes right out of the gate with a belting good time. 

And something I'd forgotten about this show: let alone the cinematography, the sound design is absolutely masterful. Everything has texture and physicality. Just the jangle of keys, or the zap of the grounding outside Chuck's house. Even the "fwup" as Jimmy grabs Kim's cigarette. It's incredible.

Wow. It's so much more clear on a rewatch when Jimmy is pulling a scam and just how elaborate it all is. I don't think you really realise you're even being scammed as a viewer the first time. Like how Jimmy assaults Mike to actually get him into the police station so that an experienced ex cop will be exposed to the situation there and give his advice etc. All leading ultimately to Jimmy getting the chance to represent the client. It's a lot more tightly woven in later series but it's fascinating seeing the intention played out even right at the start.

I recently finished a rewatch and it surprised me how tight it is. The time period it covers over the 5 series is actually very short apart from the year that Jimmy is suspended for which thankfully it skips most of. I think because most of us watch it one episode a week as it comes out and the episodes are so contained it feels slow, but binged it breezes along with lots of humour and montages and general mayhem along with the more serious events. I can't wait to see how they end it and what happens to Kim, Nacho and Lalo and hopefully some closure on Jimmy post BB though maybe they'll make another film like they did for Jesse.

Watched the first episode and it was so good to be back in that universe. It follows the events at Lalos house and is as beautifully shot as ever. 

There are actually 2 episodes up but I wasn’t allowed to watch both this morning. 😂