IGNORED

Better Call Saul!

Captain Kelsten

Just watched the latest one. That was a hard watch, right from the very first scene. I feel genuinely cut up about poor old Howard. :(

Amazing episode though. The battle of wits between Lalo and Gus, two towering intellects, was brilliant to watch play out. I thought the last episode was tense, but this one built on it to reach even taller heights. Amazing. 

@dumpster I had the exact same thought as you! :lol:

Spoiler

I was like - no Gus, now you think he’s dead is the moment he isn’t! You have to shoot him in the head now!

Seeing Lalo and Howard, two guys who were masters of their respective domains in life (and two of the best characters in TV history) unceremoniously dumped in an unmarked pit, was a powerful moment. 

Spoiler

I said earlier that we're in good hands, but I do have one, tiny reservation. You know that El Camino movie? I might be alone in this but I didn't like it.  Thought BB ended perfectly and this extra 2 hours wasn't wanted or needed. Felt like the Star Wars Prequels.  So I do have this feeling that certain other characters have time to come into BCS as fan service, and I hope they don't mess that up.  Consider Jessie and Walt. We know that in BB, Walt visits Saul and pretends to be (Badger?)'s dad.  Then in the scene on the cliff edge, Walter coughs a lot and Saul works it out and asks, "Mr Badger?" So we know that Walt and Jesse had not met Saul until those moments.  We know Walt and Jesse are teacher and pupil and don't work together until after that crack den raid with Hank.  So while they have done a lot of publicity saying Walt and Jesse are showing up in these final episodes, it needs to be handled well.  To use the Star Wars analogy, you know in all the movies from Disney how they go "Look! We put AT-STs in this one! Look! Light sabres! Look! Chewbacca!!! You remember that!" .  In Better Call Saul every character has been great, no matter how big or small the part they play.  Having Walt and Jesse turn up needs to be written in well or it's just going to appear as fan service. I'm not sure what they would be doing at this time that is of interest, and yet in the Gene timeline Walter is dead and Jesse, well we saw what happened to him in El Camino. 

But this is Vince Gilligan. I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

Spoilered although everything in this post has been appearing in my Google news feed for weeks.

40 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I've dead dumpster's post three times now and can't see any spoilers about BCS. 

Spoiler

'So while they have done a lot of publicity saying Walt and Jesse are showing up in these final episodes'

I've not seen this being announced.

That last episode was a classic

Spoiler

it reminded me how BB had a few episodes that felt like a horror, such as crawl space and Ozymandias. Just pure dread. Big part of it was that we don't know what happens with Kim yet. I'm kind of glad Lylo is out now, he's been great but I don't think the conflict with him is the heart of the show. 

13 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Regarding the digger.  It wouldn't surprise me in this show, and with Gus in charge, that the digger was disassembled into its component parts and brought in piece by piece and re-assembled underground.  But, it doesn't really matter as the show has shown us elaborate and unlikely and complicated plans being enacted again and again, so it's perfectly acceptable to see something in an unlikely situation and just assume they got in there in some equally clever way.  The writers are hardly cop-out-merchants.

But the reason for this post is remembering something I read about diggers.  Apparently it's been a fashion in the last decade or two for rich Londoners with expensive houses in the city to extend them by digging underneath and adding new cellars or additional floors below the existing ones.  Incredibly expensive, of course, but justified by the insane property values and the increase in value that extra floors add.   Anyway, I read that a lot of the time they get a digger into the house to dig down, down, down, but once down there, there's no way to get the digger out, so they dig a bit deeper, then just bury the digger underneath the new basement floor of the house.  Supposedly there are loads of buried diggers beneath posh houses in London.

nice story but urban myth I believe

Apologies if my earlier post contained spoilers.  There's nothing in that post that hasn't been used massively in the publicity drive for series 6.  I can believe anyone who is a fan of the show (and reading this thread) wouldn't have already known that stuff.  It shows up in my news headlines from Google every day.  

Some people just take extra care to avoid spoilers precisely because they love a show so much. I would definitely consider it a spoiler, but sadly hadn't managed to avoid it myself. As this thread proves though, it wasn't a given that everyone knew about it.

What on earth is anyone doing reading a discussion thread if they haven't watched the show yet?  These people are mad!   Are they honestly saying that, in a discussion thread about Better Call Saul, we should spoiler any discussion about events in Better Call Saul, in case someone reading the discussion happens to read the discussion? Madness.  Just for that, Rosebud was his sledge, and Bruce Willis is dead all along, Kevin Spacey IS Keyser Soze and Lalo has killed Kim with a machete.  

Spoiler

Hey, be sure you don't read any of that!

(Lalo has not killed Kim with a machete, this is humour on my part, any forthcoming machete deaths are entirely coincidental.)

People want to come in here and discuss episodes that have already aired. I think it's fair of people to assume spoilers about forthcoming episodes will not be posted. 🤷🏻‍♀️

1 hour ago, MrHendo said:

I have absolutely zero information on what’s to come, but I always thought the best way to end the series would be White and Jesse walking into Saul’s office.

You see, I'd hate that, because we already saw on in Breaking Bad the moment that Walt meets Saul for the first time.

Holy shit what a way to open the second part.

The real star of the show has often been the music and Foley artistry, and this week was a high bar. Just mesmerising soundscapes.

The show has taken on a palpably melancholic edge now. We've left the humour and levity well and truly behind now I suspect.

Spoiler

Lalo's spectre will still loom large. A macabre grinning death mask hanging over the remaining story.

Also it seems judging by some thread discussion that some people are attempting to discuss some future information about the show that everyone else might have thus far managed to avoid. Naff off with that shit, it's pointless and just ruins it for everyone.

But given some people can't help themselves apparently "oh but you see it's all over the internet so it's my duty to tell you!" I'm ignoring the thread until Tuesday.

21 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

It wouldn't surprise me in this show, and with Gus in charge, that the digger was disassembled into its component parts and brought in piece by piece and re-assembled underground.

This will be a post-show TV film called Caterpillar, featuring only Jonathan Banks.

Something fantastic with regards to characters and actor performances in this episode I was thinking about the other day as well:

Spoiler

When Jimmy and Kim say "it never happened". The way they both say those words is entirely different and says very different things about them both. You get the impression that Jimmy says the words in a way where he knows he has to say it never happened, maybe even to convince himself more than anything, and because it's necessary to act like he believes it. With Kim, you get the impression she really can choose lock it away and warp her actual reality around the idea that it didn't happen.

The conviction with which she says it is actually quite chilling. If either because she's so traumatised it's the only way to cope without actually dealing with it, or because she's capable of steeling herself from it that quickly, in the same way she's been leapfrogging in her ability to take part in the things Jimmy is good at since she started "breaking bad", in leaps and bound faster than he ever did.

The fact it's still ambiguous what her demeanour actually means in that moment though is just incredible.

3 hours ago, Benny said:

Something fantastic with regards to characters and actor performances in this episode I was thinking about the other day as well:

Hide contents

When Jimmy and Kim say "it never happened". The way they both say those words is entirely different and says very different things about them both. You get the impression that Jimmy says the words in a way where he knows he has to say it never happened, maybe even to convince himself more than anything, and because it's necessary to act like he believes it. With Kim, you get the impression she really can choose lock it away and warp her actual reality around the idea that it didn't happen.

The conviction with which she says it is actually quite chilling. If either because she's so traumatised it's the only way to cope without actually dealing with it, or because she's capable of steeling herself from it that quickly, in the same way she's been leapfrogging in her ability to take part in the things Jimmy is good at since she started "breaking bad", in leaps and bound faster than he ever did.

The fact it's still ambiguous what her demeanour actually means in that moment though is just incredible.

Its quite incredible that

Spoiler

Kim's ending could be her being bad to Jimmy or Jimmy being bad to her both pre BB and post BB (if Kim is still on the board to appear post BB).

She could conceivably end up being the villain or another tragic victim.

And no-one has a clue which way it is going to go.  Which would be impressive for any show going into its final few episodes, but even more so for a prequel.

But also note that:

Spoiler

Kim protests at being made to go by Jimmy, which she could be resentful of, but when Kim explains why Jimmy sent her she says it was because he was trying to protect her. So she may have been upset at that moment about the thought of losing Jimmy, rather than thinking he was being selfish asking her to kill someone. In Jimmy's mind, he would have thought it was the only logical option to save Kim, he would not be thinking about it in terms of it meaning asking her to kill someone. And I think for Kim the idea of killing someone may also have been secondary in her mind to being more worried what will happen to Jimmy if he stays.

I think honestly at this point Kim and Jimmy's relationship is one of the most complex and well written love stories on television.

For both their characters now I think the only way it can end is if Kim ends up in prison, as that's the only way to square how he is in Breaking Bad. I think in Breaking Bad Jimmy is filling time until she gets out. Either that or something terrible does happen to Kim and Jimmy somehow gets over it, but these two are proper Thelma and Louise at this point.

Oh oh oh and also:

Spoiler

Think back to when they are on top of that car park having maybe their first real big argument. It looks like Kim is going to say something back to Jimmy and end their relationship then and there as he's being an asshole. But instead she says "we could get married?" It's a massive curveball, because we instantly discover it's not so much that she's thinking that their relationship is the problem, but because they are likely to have legal issues with their professional lives. For Kim the relationship itself is questioned less than what can they do differently to make it work with their separate lives so that they can stay together.

Again, incredible love story, ultimately. And it's why I don't buy any of the theories that Kim is "playing" Jimmy or that she doesn't love him.

Based on the last episode and what happened before the break - every episode now feels like - ‘must watch the minute it goes up on Netflix’.

Not that you’d want to wait for long as it’s so good, but impossible to predict the structure of the last 5 episodes.