IGNORED

Better Call Saul!

Captain Kelsten

I wonder if:

Spoiler

We'll just jump straight into the post-BB Gene-verse now; there doesn't seem to be anything left to say about Mike or Gus or Saul that we don't already know from Breaking Bad. Also the next episode teaser that was shown on the AMC broadcast was black and white, set in an empty department store with Jimmy shouting out bargains of the day.

I really liked this weeks ep, I don't want to say slow paced, it felt luxurious and very confident in how it was telling it's story

Spoiler

was quite heartbreaking as Kim broke up with Jimmy, but you can't say they haven't done the groundwork for this over the seasons.

the plot then ffwd on quite some time was curious after that, I don't think we've seen the last of Kim, can't believe that's her last scene and I'd expect to see something of how her post lawyer life plays out. 

interested where it goes now as feels like the prequel part is almost dealt with leaving a lot of time to flesh out the stuff hinted at in the B&W epilogue Cinnabun bits.

Jimmys acting when 

Spoiler

he walked into the apartment after hearing Kim had quit 

was just plain weird, if not downright terrible. The rest of the show was brilliant though. A slow burner but sets up the last few episodes nicely. 

Spoiler

How far ahead was the jump forward? We go from Kim leaving to Jimmy waking up in his mansion with a prostitute. Even though we can guess what happened in the interim it felt a bit jarring for something that's usually so elegantly written.

Also:

Spoiler

That kiss in the car park. You just knew that was a kiss goodbye.

A really great aftermath episode and quite frankly baring not seeing any post BB scenes, it all felt quite final. It has me really intrigued as to where these last few episodes go.

I was fully expecting 

Spoiler

Walter to walk in at the end and that's why they focused on him chosing his shirt, I thoughthe was getting into the same clothes as their first meerting, but then I watched that scene back on YT and he's wearing different colours.

The riches never cease.

Spoiler

There I was thinking the only way Kim and Jimmy can end their love story is self destruction or prison, but it turns out Kim is too smart to ultimately allow that to happen. Them breaking up is after all the simplest end to their story... However, that clearly isn't the end of their love story. Too much is still hanging by the end of that episode. But what a riveting scene. I don't like it when mummy and daddy fight.

When Kim lied to Howard's wife... Utterly brutal what she said, and she knew it. I think that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Jimmy just sees this as another obstacle to them, but he's going down a different path now.

Gus having a tiny moment of happiness, before his own personal demons seem to take him over, as you see his face harden, knowing this life is not for him.

Mike going to see Nacho's dad, saying "he wasn't like them, he was a good person", which sounded more like trying to reassure himself that he's "not like them" more than anything. Only for Vargas's dad to end up reminding him exactly what he is.

Gus cannot have a normal life. Neither can Mike. Neither can Jimmy. They are all in The Game.

And Kim, as she said, was having too much fun, but now she's decided to stop playing it. Maybe she's escaped, but we know The Game always catches up to you eventually. Maybe in the form of a later Jimmy. But maybe, like Jessie, she might have made it out in time.

Pure supposition on my part

Spoiler

wondering if with that runtime left of 4 eps we'll get some of that focussing on Kim and what happens to her post the break up with Jimmy

I'm pretty sure we haven't seen the last of her and whilst the breakup was beautifully done and setup over the runtime of the show I suspect there is some more story/twists to happen and we'll see the pair of them if not back together involved again somehow.

I could watch Fring…

Spoiler

Wine tasting and chatting about European villages all day, Netflix should give him a flirting/travelog/wine/ tasting show.

And I was also expecting a pan to Jesse in the waiting room at the end tho in hindsight that seems too obvious for this show.

was a great episode, a perfect juxtaposition to last weeks.

Spoiler

It felt like the final and would be happy with them ending it all there. Still a fair few eps to go so can't wait to see what will happen next, was half expecting to see the back of Walter turn up in the office before the credits role.

Something else I noticed:

Spoiler

I think when Jimmy says "I know that was hard" after the wake, I think at that point after what happens later you realise Kim was actually afraid that it had been so easy.

Even in the scene itself her and Jimmy are basically riffing off each other as usual. As Kim said... Poison together.

19 minutes ago, ckny said:

Someone please remind me how Saul meets Walt and Jesse in BB?

Jesse tells Walt they need a lawyer - not just any lawyer, a criminal lawyer - and so they choose Saul and turn up at his office.

BB Spoilers? for Walt and Jesse meeting Saul

Spoiler

Walt goes to see Saul as Mr Mayhew - Badger's father after Badger is caught selling meth. Saul won't help even with a 10k bribe, so Walt and Jesse take him out to the desert somewhere to threaten him, until Saul recognises Walt's cough

The Gus pool scene…

Spoiler

that shot looking up at him within the pool. Reminds me of something Vince G often spouts on the podcast ‘never underestimate how smart your audience is’. Most other shows would have shown a flashback right there

On 20/07/2022 at 01:06, Benny said:

The riches never cease.

Hide contents

There I was thinking the only way Kim and Jimmy can end their love story is self destruction or prison, but it turns out Kim is too smart to ultimately allow that to happen. Them breaking up is after all the simplest end to their story... However, that clearly isn't the end of their love story. Too much is still hanging by the end of that episode. But what a riveting scene. I don't like it when mummy and daddy fight.

When Kim lied to Howard's wife... Utterly brutal what she said, and she knew it. I think that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Jimmy just sees this as another obstacle to them, but he's going down a different path now.

Gus having a tiny moment of happiness, before his own personal demons seem to take him over, as you see his face harden, knowing this life is not for him.

Mike going to see Nacho's dad, saying "he wasn't like them, he was a good person", which sounded more like trying to reassure himself that he's "not like them" more than anything. Only for Vargas's dad to end up reminding him exactly what he is.

Gus cannot have a normal life. Neither can Mike. Neither can Jimmy. They are all in The Game.

And Kim, as she said, was having too much fun, but now she's decided to stop playing it. Maybe she's escaped, but we know The Game always catches up to you eventually. Maybe in the form of a later Jimmy. But maybe, like Jessie, she might have made it out in time.

Spoiler

I totally agree with all of that. Especially Gus and Kim. Gus has clearly flirted with having a "normal" life away from The Game. He has literally just got away with murder by the skin of his teeth and could walk away. He doesn't. He tells Mike to return to construction of the lab. He stays on the path to self destruction. Just like Walter White. Kim goes in the other direction. She knows she is on the path to self destruction. She decides to take the other path. Unlike Walter White. It's just so well written and acted. I'll miss it when it's finished.

4 hours ago, Lorfarius said:
  Hide contents

It felt like the final and would be happy with them ending it all there. Still a fair few eps to go so can't wait to see what will happen next, was half expecting to see the back of Walter turn up in the office before the credits role.

We still have the final post Breaking Bad black and white Nebraska scene to come. I can't fucking wait!

That felt like

Spoiler

the end for Gus and Mike in the show and potentially that is it entirely for anything before and during BB, bar some sort of what Kim did next episode.

Maybe they'll be a bit of during BB stuff if they decide to bring in Walt and Jessie for a bonus appearance, but for Mike and Gus that felt like a final episode and as the final scene looked like we are very much near the start of BB now, I can't see them going backwards in the timeline and there is nothing left for Mike and Gus to do nor anytime to build to a subplot for them as everything is wrapped up until they meet a High school science teacher.

Another element I enjoyed was

Spoiler

How the breakdown of Howard's marriage unexpectedly played into Kim and Jimmy's plan. His wife asking all the right questions but also questioning herself, because she just wasn't paying attention to Howard's pain toward the end. The more I think about the coffee scene the more masterful it becomes. A great shorthand for the complete state of their marriage.

Also, I felt sorry for Cliff. He was trying to be tactful but the plan just worked too well. Having him deliver the final blow was perverse.

I thought that 

Spoiler

Saul's speech to Kim, about how someday they will wake up and not think about Howard, which will prove they can move on and can forget, was word for word either Mike, or Mike's daughter talking about Matty, the policeman that was shot. 

You can see why Kim had to go.  All the way through ,apart from when Kim was obviously having fun bringing down Howard, you could always see how Kim was representing the little guys with her powerful legal skills, where Saul deals with low-lifes, the guilty.  Saul uses his conman mind to bring trickery to the courtroom, getting people off charges in unorthodox ways.  With Howard Kim was right into the scam every second of the journey until Lalo  shot Howard.  Kin snapped out of it and realised what they had done.  Saul , whilst horrified, still feels he is playing the con.  Saul can keep up the pretence that they are not involved, Kim is talented enough to do the same, but Saul can do it because it's exactly what he does. It seems like they are both on the same page, but every cover up or comment is hell for Kim, where Jimmy just rattles it all out as part of the ongoing con.  

Magnificent telly.

22 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I thought that 

Reveal hidden contents

Saul's speech to Kim, about how someday they will wake up and not think about Howard, which will prove they can move on and can forget, was word for word either Mike, or Mike's daughter talking about Matty, the policeman that was shot. 

You can see why Kim had to go.  All the way through ,apart from when Kim was obviously having fun bringing down Howard, you could always see how Kim was representing the little guys with her powerful legal skills, where Saul deals with low-lifes, the guilty.  Saul uses his conman mind to bring trickery to the courtroom, getting people off charges in unorthodox ways.  With Howard Kim was right into the scam every second of the journey until Lalo  shot Howard.  Kin snapped out of it and realised what they had done.  Saul , whilst horrified, still feels he is playing the con.  Saul can keep up the pretence that they are not involved, Kim is talented enough to do the same, but Saul can do it because it's exactly what he does. It seems like they are both on the same page, but every cover up or comment is hell for Kim, where Jimmy just rattles it all out as part of the ongoing con.  

Magnificent telly.

I think the opposite. 

Spoiler

Kim's story to Howard's wife just proves to me that she's worse than Jimmy. She upped the ante on the con and it was so natural for her. 

Maybe she's left Jimmy as he's no longer in her league.

She's poison. The flashbacks of her and her Mother reveal how she got here. She might have left Jimmy and her Mum but she'll find a new, worse accomplice. 

Nobody in the BB Universe ever really escapes.

The other thing is how Saul says 

Spoiler

It's over.  It's over.  Time for the healing to begin.

Kim kisses him goodbye, because it is over and it is time for the healing to begin.  Just... Apart.

Spoiler

Did anyone notice how much blue and gold there was in the set design and lighting in that last episode? Meth and money, that's what I thought. Almost everyone's future neatly summed up.

In an episode full of great moments I think my favourite scene may have been:

Spoiler

The interaction between Mike and Nacho's dad. His dad saying it's not justice, it's revenge and the cycle never ends. As he's delivering this the camera frames Mike behind the chain link fence as if he's imprisoned, trapped in a never ending cycle. Superb stuff