IGNORED

Better Call Saul!

Captain Kelsten

The shadow of WW was all over that episode:

Spoiler

Not just him being mentioned by Gene, but the whole 'we're done' speech near the end could have come right out of Heisenberg's mouth, plus the obvious visual similarities between Gene & Walt with the moustache and glasses (though Gene has a bit more hair than Walt ended up with.) Even the final shot of the clothes rail briefly showed a flannel check shirt very reminiscent of Walt just before Gene put the Saul Goodman shirt back.

There were nice touches in this episode, including all the Walt/BB mirrors people have mentioned. I didn't feel any tension though, as I never thought for a moment that Gene's plan would turn out differently from the way it did. So that whole segment actually felt slow to me, rather than gripping.

I can see that, with the principal story wrapped up, they're able to have some fun here. Little love letter episodes to fans and Saul alike. They're not my favourite if today's is anything to go by, but they'll still be good tv.

Something else:

Spoiler

The typical BCS intro "tape" abruptly stops. As if to say: you've been watching old home movies up to now. But this is reality.

You just bet they are going to make the "present" morph into colour at some point, and it'll be incredible.

21 minutes ago, Professor Puzzles said:

The shadow of WW was all over that episode:

Hide contents

Not just him being mentioned by Gene, but the whole 'we're done' speech near the end could have come right out of Heisenberg's mouth, plus the obvious visual similarities between Gene & Walt with the moustache and glasses (though Gene has a bit more hair than Walt ended up with.) Even the final shot of the clothes rail briefly showed a flannel check shirt very reminiscent of Walt just before Gene put the Saul Goodman shirt back.

Spoiler

I think a lot of that is down to Jimmy's chameleon like ability to morph himself into what people need to hear and he will often draw on things other people have said to him or how he's seen them act. Remember him trying to reassure Kim after their trauma with literally the words Mike told him after the desert episode.

I thought that the writing was especially good for the security guard bit.

Spoiler

Everyone here, no doubt, has had that conversation. Did you see the game last night? Most of us will say, no or yes truthfully. But Jimmy uses it as an in. That first conversation, he lets the guard lead and basically repeats single words back at him. Letting the guard assume that he's also a fan. 

Very clever.

Of course, once he knows the guy is a fan, he gets reading the sports pages so he can offer up some sage input. But that first conversation was masterfully written.

9 hours ago, Benny said:

Something else:

Hide contents

You just bet they are going to make the "present" morph into colour at some point, and it'll be incredible.

I’m betting it’ll be

Spoiler

If/when he meets Kim again in the present day.

seems there is a quite a mixed reaction to this ep reading comments on the Guardian recap.

I'm with @schmojo, it was nice enough but my hope was that after rattling thru things the week before they had something more planned for the remaining episodes story arc, felt a bit odd to be essentially layering up more background so late in the day in such detail.

they could have hit the themes they did in far less runtime and still have them be effective. 

Spoiler

The entire episode is almost certainly setting up the end of the story though, it intentionally was taking a step back to show where Jimmy is now, resolve the all problems he thinks he has, and to seemingly finally "hang up" the Saul persona for good. It wanted to show us what a Jimmy scam looks like in the cold light of black and white. Notice how all of the people he scams are really nice. Even the criminals, the taxi driver and his mate, seem harmless enough really.

What with the foreboding music at the end of the episode, if feels like it really wanted to take its time to set the tone for the rest.

That's the trouble with commentary on something so near the end: it's impossible to judge how successful it is until you have the whole text, as it's not just an episodic show - so much rides on prior knowledge or the ebb and flow of the narrative throughout the series.

yeah I get it, just differ in enjoyment to the approach & pacing I guess.

it felt like an episode aimed at the people in the audience who claim that the fly ep of breaking bad is the best thing ever.

Why exactly is Jimmy so paranoid in the Omaha timeframe? Is it purely because of the events of BB? It’s been a while since I watched it so I can’t remember why Jimmy/Saul would be so fearful. It’s the police he’s frightened of, right? Not the cartel?

Enjoyable, not quite what I was expecting, def feels like the calm before the storm.

It did make me fancy...

Spoiler

A cinnamon roll tho.

I liked how the other security guard who didn't like Gene much at the start was joking and laughing with him by the end. The power of Cinnamon buns.

17 minutes ago, Pob said:

Why exactly is Jimmy so paranoid in the Omaha timeframe? Is it purely because of the events of BB? It’s been a while since I watched it so I can’t remember why Jimmy/Saul would be so fearful. It’s the police he’s frightened of, right? Not the cartel?

Yeah Jimmy's on the lam. He's a wanted man.

22 hours ago, Jamie John said:

And at the end, when 

Hide contents

Gene keeps Marco's ring on beneath his Cinnabon gloves, suggesting that there's always going to be a little part of Saul under the surface that he'll never truly be able to let go of.

I love that stuff.

Spoiler

Not Saul - Slippin' Jimmy

Yeah, avoiding spoilers best I could, I still got the impression this episode was disliked, which may have tempered my expectations a bit, but I honestly think this is one of my favourite episodes. 

i think you can’t just time jump and do a bunch of big storyline stuff (ironically BB suffered from that) it needed an anchor to embed us in the new era, and this did it brilliantly. 

Also, whilst I’ve (happily) no idea how this goes down, I suspect many are going to hate it. BCS has never been braking bad - we’ve had the explosive ending. This is probably the ‘scouring of the shire’ end of the show. Smaller, returning, and seeing how he’s changed. And I’m here for that. 

1 hour ago, Melon_Bread said:

Enjoyable, not quite what I was expecting, def feels like the calm before the storm.

It did make me fancy...

Reveal hidden contents

A cinnamon roll tho.

I liked how the other security guard who didn't like Gene much at the start was joking and laughing with him by the end. The power of Cinnamon buns.

Spoiler

The first one, yes. By the time he was scoffing his 4th I thought Jimmy's ruse was just trying to give the guy a heart attack.

I really enjoyed that episode but it did feel a bit of fun rather than ‘oh shit we’re building up to the finale’.

I did call it though that the last 3-4 episodes were going to be post BB 

The thing is, lots of places sell cinnamon buns here. I've had cinnamon buns but the ones from cinnabon are the cheap crap full of endless sugar and icing. Why go to burger king when you have...I don't know...five guys? etc. Something like that.

17 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

Don't bother with the podcast this week unless you want to hear a whole lot of backslapping and everyone telling each other what a genius they are.

I don't listen to podcasts of shows I'm watching, but I don't see how that's a problem? It's natural to want to highlight parts of your work you're very happy with and want to congratulate your colleagues when they make something you're really proud of. Unless the entire podcast has just been a massive display of fluff and self aggrandisement.

8 minutes ago, Benny said:

I don't listen to podcasts of shows I'm watching, but I don't see how that's a problem? It's natural to want to highlight parts of your work you're very happy with and want to congratulate your colleagues when they make something you're really proud of. Unless the entire podcast has just been a massive display of fluff and self aggrandisement.

Pretty much. I was also surprised they didn't even touch on the mixed reaction to this episode.

I listened to the last two and they were pretty cool with lots of insight into the making of the show and how it all connected to BB and little Easter eggs they crammed in.

I doubt any creator would fancy addressing a mixed reaction of something they're proud of that they only just put out to be honest. And that assumes they've actually read any, or that they care about critical reception.

I haven't seen any, but then I make it a rule to stay away from The Guardian, Twitter or any other hot take farm of low quality analysis on the internet. Apart from my threads on here, obviously.