Better Call Saul!

Captain Kelsten

10 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

There's also next year, as each half of this season falls into different Emmy years.

Hmmm, this could be an interesting one, then, as you'd think it would be the final year where it gets the 'better give this amazing guy who's never won anything a lifetime achievement Oscar' equivalent clean sweep (its Return of the King moment, essentially), but by then the finale may have been too long ago to be in the zeitgeist enough for it to win. I love awards politics!

Can't wait for the final episode. Here's my prediction: first 2/3s episode, Jimmy gets caught. Flash forward a few years, he's now a prison lawyer, Shawshank style, helping fellow inmates out, elder law style. A guard shouts over gruffly - "McGill, you got a visitor!". He goes into the visitation room and sits down, adjusting his glasses, looking down at the table, camera is wide. In the foreground a figure enters frame. It's Kim. Cut to close up of Jimmy, he looks up. The End... Lol.. I still have hope! 😆😅

It’s their final chance to squeeze in “Hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” on the soundtrack. That’s all I need as it fades to black. 

I’m nervous/excited/sad for the final episode - it’s going to be bittersweet. 

Well, guess I'll go first then.

Spoiler

That was a better ending then Felina by a country mile. A finale with something to say about its main character and showing that he can still change this late in his life.

Beautifull little scene with

Spoiler

Chuck

as well.

A great way to send it off. Leaves enough room for people to go back and debate what certain characters and scenes meant.

10 out 10.

Overall, I feel confident in saying in that BCS was an incredible show. The DS9 to BB's TNG. A great bunch of characters, all incredibly complex and interesting to hold you over all the way to the finale.

1 hour ago, HarMGM said:

The DS9 to BB's TNG.

I should probably watch this.

I watched Breaking Bad years ago, I can remember the main characters and plot beats but probably not much of the detail, would I be OK with going straight into BCS? I'm assuming yes as it's a prequel, but if it's stuffed full of BB callbacks and references then maybe it's not for me.

I don't want to raise expectations, but that finale was astonishingly good and I'll probably re-watch it again today as hard to take it all in and no I haven't got something in my eye because its just finished and yes, it is the best TV show ever.

So much good stuff and even the final episode kept my guessing how it would end and how I wanted it to end.

Couple of initial thoughts - SPOILERS!!!

Spoiler
Spoiler

Marie appearing - first I assumed it was just a very brief cameo as Jimmy walked by then mega tension when she walks into the room then Saul does his whole sob story speech, then immediately turns into the cocky lawyer about to do a deal then eventually looks devastated when he hears about Kim. Amazing performance by Odenkirk (and Marie was excellent as well) AND then it immediately cuts to what you assume is him in prison, but no - Walter is here for a terrific scene.

The court scene - no clue how is was going to go - I assumed he was going to try and help Kim, but wasn't entirely sure if he was going to be a bastard or if I wanted him to win in anyway.  The whole thing was just fantastically done and then made me wanting some sort of happy ending (ie - Jimmy not being shanked).

The ending - perfect.  Saul obviously surviving nicely in prison then that scene in the prison cell with Kim was about as good a scene (performance/meaning/visuals) as anything I've ever watched.

and I thought it would end on that and was briefly disappointed that it didn't (and scared we'd end up with shanked Jimmy), but the final shots of Kim and Jimmy with all those fences between them was brilliant.  Plus Kim briefly transforming back to 'bad' Kim, the partner of Saul Goodman in the cell and then back to current Kim as she left the prison.

49 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I watched Breaking Bad years ago, I can remember the main characters and plot beats but probably not much of the detail, would I be OK with going straight into BCS? I'm assuming yes as it's a prequel, but if it's stuffed full of BB callbacks and references then maybe it's not for me.

It starts off as a whole new show. It gradually introduces a few characters from BB earlier in the timeline. As things have drawn to a close this season things have linked up a little more, and it puts a capstone on the whole world. I’ve enjoyed watching BB again alongside these last episodes, and I think that’s been worthwhile to deepen my enjoyment. I don’t think it’s necessary to do so at the start of BCS. 

20 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

You can go straight in without a BB re-watch although you may end up wanting to rewatch BB halfway through if you fall hard for the show.

24 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

There are some callbacks, but every character that appeared in BB gets reintroduced so you should be okay.

Lovely ending to an amazing show. To have kept this up for six seasons without any perceivable change in quality is testament to all those involved. Nice callbacks too.

Loved that 

Spoiler

The only bit of colour in the present day was the lit cigarette Saul and Kim shared in the prison.

and

Spoiler

despite his misgivings about the prison, his reputation as a criminal defender seems to have got him a pretty easy ride with the other inmates.

So much brilliance to unpack. Re-watching it tomorrow. initial thoughts:

Spoiler

It's all about action versus intention. Walt thinks he's changed because he was dealt a bad hand, with his scene with Saul ("You've always been like this?") implying WW feels the Grey Matter deal ruined his life. Which by extension shows that his being a teacher, a husband and a father all mean ultimately very little to him, despite his protests. I'd have to re-watch BB to see if I feel Walt genuinely changed at the end.

But that's by-the-by. The important lesson from this finale is showing that Jimmy and Kim can't change who they are. The good and the bad are inextricably linked to their personalities and skills. All they can do is force themselves to live a restricted life (Kim) or allow themselves to be incarcerated (Jimmy). They're just like most of us: if we have a hammer, we start seeing everything as a nail, and then try and work out how we can exploit our nail-striking skills to make money and gain power.

It's all just so nuanced.