Better Call Saul!

Captain Kelsten

44 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Lovely ending to an amazing show. To have kept this up for six seasons without any perceivable change in quality is testament to all those involved. Nice callbacks too.

Loved that 

Hide contents

The only bit of colour in the present day was the lit cigarette Saul and Kim shared in the prison.

and

Hide contents

despite his misgivings about the prison, his reputation as a criminal defender seems to have got him a pretty easy ride with the other inmates.

Ending

Spoiler

I think Jimmy locked up for the rest of his life (probably) in a 'proper' American prison, but getting a nice job in the kitchen and being well liked by fellow inmates (with, I assume some protection by some very intimidating inmates) and occasionally seeing/being in contact with Kim is the absolute perfect ending.

He didn't get away with it all (and I don't think anyone wanted him too by the end), but equally its a happy ending.

Although - I now really, really want Vince Gilligan to do an Oz type show with Jimmy in the middle of it all.

Loved it.

Spoiler

Once we're on the bus transporting prisoners I was really fearing some kind of wacky escape plot scene would undermine the whole thing but no, it all went exactly as it should. This cements it up there with my favourite TV of all-time now and while I'm glad it's all wrapped up almost perfectly it's also shit that there's no more to look forward to

7 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Am I the only one who didn’t like it?

Reveal hidden contents

Just found it really dull and obvious, with overly forced cameos. I loved the rest of the season, though. 

Spoiler

I’m sorry you didn’t like it. I don’t mind things being “obvious”, I don’t need a surprise twist, I just want the things that happen to feel right, and for me they did. I was surprised by Marie Schrader’s cameo, but that felt totally right and conveyed the gravity of what he’d done (and meant there was that nice repetition of his confession later on). The 3 time machine cameos were slight, but they weren’t given much screen time and it would have been a shame to not have seen them again at all. I think it’s the right choice to focus on the more important threads of the show (namely Saul, and Saul & Kim).

Remember when the show was originally announced…and here we are now. Who’d have thunk it. 

Spoiler

I liked the bit when he was talking about his brother in court and the Exit sign was buzzing. I’m gonna miss those sorts of moments.

Much better ending, and final season, than Breaking Bad had.

BB and BCS spoilers…

Spoiler

Never really liked the final season of BB with its wacky magnet antics, train heists, and those damned redneck Nazis. Felt tonally and thematically out of step with the rest of BB… Pleased that BCS never went down a comparable route, and that it stayed true to itself right to the end.

A perfect ending to a perfect show. They absolutely nailed it. 

Spoiler

Glad that Jimmy acknowledged and confessed that his actions led to the death of his brother. I wasn’t expecting his mea maxima culpa, but I guess he had to really throw himself under the bus to protect Kim from Howard’s widow, and to save himself in her eyes. In the end, that was all that mattered to him. 

…86 years though  :lol:

One question:

Spoiler

From when was the flashback with Saul and Walter? I couldn’t place it. 

That was really good. I particularly liked the 

Spoiler

flashback scene with Walt in the bunker, and the bit where Saul gets very excited about the prospect of taking Grey Matter to court. I feel like that would have been the perfect outcome for both of them - Walt gets what is rightfully his, and Jimmy gets to do what he’s best at, without either of them breaking the law.

If Walt had walked into Saul’s office a few weeks earlier and asked for his help with suing his former company, that would have been the logical continuation of Better Call Saul, and the ideal redemption arc for Jimmy. And crucially, it would also have been a brilliant TV series.

I really enjoyed that - a tiny bittersweet glimpse of how life could have been for both of them.

19 minutes ago, Popo said:

A perfect ending to a perfect show. They absolutely nailed it. 

Hide contents

Glad that Jimmy acknowledged and confessed that his actions led to the death of his brother. I wasn’t expecting his mea maxima culpa, but I guess he had to really throw himself under the bus to protect Kim from Howard’s widow, and to save himself in her eyes. In the end, that was all that mattered to him. 

…86 years though  :lol:

One question:

Hide contents

From when was the flashback with Saul and Walter? I couldn’t place it. 

Spoiler

In the last Season of BB they both get the vacuum guy to "disappear" them. They have to hole up in the bunker while he puts the wheels in motion.

I was shaking watching parts of the last episode... I will collect my thoughts a bit before I write a bit more about it but:

Spoiler

I've talked many times before that I've felt that Better Call Saul is ultimately a love story. And this just confirms it in the most heartfelt, bittersweet way imaginable. It's almost the anti-Breaking Bad.

One of the best episodes of any TV show, as a perfect end to the absolute best TV series ever.

I struggle to imagine anything ever bettering Better Call Saul. What a monumental achievement in writing, directing and acting across 63 incredible episodes.

Bit numb it’s over really.

I couldn't watch the penultimate episode last week as I was away, so I've just watched it and the finale back to back. To reiterate what others have said, yes, it's brilliant, as we all knew it would be, and confirms the series overall's place in the pantheon of the best TV programmes every made. I hope it wins every award going,

Massive applause from me to everyone involved. What the hell are they all going to do now?

Loved it. Amazing end to probably the best show on TV. In the future when I watch it all again I will do so along with re-reading this thread I think. It's been quite a ride guys. 

One question about the finale:

Spoiler

Saul said he was kidnapped by Walt and Jessie 2 years ago. Surely it's longer ago than that? 

Attempting to unpack the finale a bit:

Spoiler

I had a theory I may have posted before that I felt Kim was ultimately the only person left in Jimmy's life who could save him, and I think in some ways she did.

The last thing she said to Jimmy before he relapsed into Saul was "turn yourself in" and Jimmy reacted angrily at both her "rejection" but also maybe that, ultimately, she's been the only person in his life who he's respected enough to listen to and who he still looked up to, especially after losing Chuck. So he may have known deep down she was right and coming from her that meant he had to listen

So he goes off the deep end, and nearly breaks, but what is it that brings him back from the brink? Not being caught, as he was already starting to work angles at that, but rather in finding out Kim could be in trouble.

Kim's act of confession was done right after she spoke to Jimmy, and it could well have been done with trying to protect Jimmy in mind, to get ahead of what may happen when he's finally caught. Or it was just after she told him to turn himself in she realised she needed closure and she would never get it until she confessed.

Of course Jimmy twists this when he finds out and both the characters and us the audience are made to think he really has become Saul and that he's lashing out even at her like he did to everyone else who ever cared about him in his life... And that this really is going all Breaking Bad on us...

So then the final "slip" of Jimmy is in fact to trick everyone, including us, into thinking he's planning on being dishonest.

And every look he gives Kim is layered. Partly it's looking for her approval, partly it's as if to say, I want to change for you, partly as if to say "you were right, I'm turning myself in. But it's also just a bit like a wounded puppy, and it could also be the fact he also wanted to see her again, and this was the only "scam" he could think of to see her before he goes down for good.

Jimmy stands there and finally admits the truth, not only to the court, but to himself, and crucially to Kim. He exorcises his demons then and there, and you get the feeling whenever he looks back at Kim it's partly because he knows he could never have done it without her help. Her presence is simply anchoring him into pressing on and finishing his confession. The catharsis about Chuck and Howard is all brought out, and it's the first time Jimmy has ever been honest in a courtroom or showed emotion we can feel is genuine (though I'm sure many could speculate it could still have been designed to protect Kim).

The buzzing sign when discussing Chuck, lovely call-back. Then Kim's final smile at him - just so utterly loaded with meaning and relief.

I did speculate that Jimmy would actually do alright for himself in prison, and in this that is borne out as he has respect already earned.

But it was the final moments with Kim that were the cherry on top:

The way Kim said "hey Jimmy" was delirious but emotionally devastating. It sounded so vulnerable, but weighed with all the highs and lows of their relationship... It was just delivered like a gut punch. Kim's hand then shaking when lighting the cigarette. Then the single spot of colour that recalls their past life, as they joke about Jimmy's final scam. But with Jimmy's hopeful and likeable "easy come, easy go" mentality right back from the start of the show coming back to the fore.

They are ultimately separated by a "fence" that will always need to be there to allow them to function in their new lives, but it allows for the reconciliation they needed and for them to move forward

Just fantastic. Simple. Perfect.

Also forgot to add:

Spoiler

I think ultimately Kim and Jimmy are now in the best possible place they can be to continue life. Kim, unable to be a practicing lawyer is now doing volunteer work to help people in a way only she can, and something she flirted with in the past. While Jimmy, essentially protected from himself and society protected from him, can at least make sure prisoners get decent unofficial legal counsel. Probably the most "good" he can realistically be doing at that point.

So bittersweet.

Spoiler

Great to see Marie back and still on her high horse after all these years. I half expected Saul to have a wee stab by mentioning Skyler's plea deal while he was defending his own version of events.

I love that it took Kim's confession and her acceptance of consequences for Jimmy to finally face his own. And I also love that the only person who could fully nail Saul was himself. Not bad for a guy who worked in the mailroom.

OK, I'll be the dumb one about the ending:

Spoiler

He changed his plea to a confession because he wanted to help Kim from being sued. But surely he could have done that without admitting to everything else? Was it just that he felt guilty and that she'd never forgive him if he didn't confess?

Was there any clarification given on whether Kim

Spoiler

left the chud she was living with in episode 12? Was he supposed to be her new husband? That was one of the only bits in the final two episodes that didn't quite sit right with me - he was a little bit too boring, even for the boring version of Kim, and the bit where they were having sex was just horrible, especially as we never saw anything as explicit as that between Kim and Jimmy.

How did that guy feel about her volunteering late at night at the law office in Florida? How did she explain to him that she had to fly thousands of miles across the country to New Mexico to give Howard's widow the affidavit, then back again to go to Jimmy's trial, then to the Rocky Mountain prison where he ultimately ended up? A short scene where she walked out on him would have cleared a lot of this up, or even a passing remark from one of her Floridian girlfriends at work - "How are you doing living on your own now?" - something like that.

They could even have shown Kim married with a really nice (but still boring) guy, and with children of her own, when Jimmy makes contact with her again. That would have added even more complexity to her character. I get the feeling that there was a whole additional Kim in Florida episode that the writers had to leave out.