Better Call Saul!

Captain Kelsten

Spoiler

Also, you're making assumptions about a character there based on "What would I have done in that situation" rather than what makes sense for the character, and everything Kim did was completely in keeping with doing everything on her own and not needing anyone else involved in it.

Assuming she'd be running the company soon after she got there based on her skills is assuming she's the same person she was before all that happened with Jimmy, and denies character growth or that someone can fall from grace as it were. It also assumed she would even be capable of doing that, considering she was reacting from trauma that was so bad she had to close herself off for years.

There's loads of internal character conflict and grief going on with that whole sequence and where she ended up, so I'm not sure you can easily go "oh well she's such a brilliant mind, it makes no logical sense she'd just be in an office job". But humans are not logical or unchanging beings. And it all made perfect sense when you realised how much everything before had damaged her.

Edit: @Jamie John

Spoiler

What you're all saying makes complete sense in hindsight, but in the moment, when I was watching it, it just didn't sit right with me.

I think it was the sex scene that tipped the balance. If that hadn't had been there, and we had just seen Kim at work, making the salad, eating lunch, etc., then I would have bought it, but seeing that guy rutting away with his repugnant 'Yup, yup, yupping', even if only for a couple of seconds, seemed very off. I couldn't understand why Kim would ever be attracted to him and want to consensually engage in sex with him, even if he is the manifestation of the anodyne, entirely unthreatening life she now wants for herself.

Maybe you're right: perhaps it's her strength of character that allows her to repress who she truly is to that extent, but just a one second close up of her face and the discontentment in her eyes afterwards would have resolved everything for me.

Spoiler

Oh that scene was definitely repugnant all right, and they knew that. We were supposed to be thinking "wait, this is all wrong" all throughout.

I don't think she would have ever been attracted to him. It would simply be a way of killing time and fully embracing being dead inside with another distraction.

Indeed!

Also, separately, did anyone else notice, in episode 12, that 

Spoiler

the jigsaw puzzle Kim is doing while the boyfriend is watching TV, immediately after the sex scene, is completely blank? It's about six minutes in. I thought that was a fitting symbol for how colourless her life has now become. Contrasted later, of course, with the colour of the lit cigarette she shares with Jimmy in prison.

22 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Indeed!

Also, separately, did anyone else notice, in episode 12, that 

Hide contents

the jigsaw puzzle Kim is doing while the boyfriend is watching TV, immediately after the sex scene, is completely blank? It's about six minutes in. I thought that was a fitting symbol for how colourless her life has now become. Contrasted later, of course, with the colour of the lit cigarette she shares with Jimmy in prison.

I did clock that - my over takeaway from that was

Spoiler

its a ridiculously hard jigsaw puzzle so she is trying to challenge herself, but in the context of her new life. 

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

Don’t think that couldn’t have ended any better

some for me for hard of thinking 

Hide contents

How did Kim get off with the civil case?

I'm not entirely sure, but

Spoiler

at that stage - Howard's wife only had one option for any sort of justice - a civil case against Kim as the state wasn't going to prosecute her and Jimmy was AWOL.

Once Jimmy confessed and also said Kim had nothing to do with it then Howard's wife may not have seen the point of a civil case against Kim as justice had been served on Jimmy??

Spoiler

Aside from the "shopping for lawyers" remark, we don't even know if Howard's widow actually pursued the civil case against Kim either. She seemed like she was almost in disbelief that Kim would present her with that option.

I thought her cool attitude toward Howard gave her pause for thought too.

Cracking scene with

Spoiler

Chuck.

there was a waver there, Chuck almost let his guard down and I think he genuinely wanted Jimmy to stay and chat.., and how different would everything had been had they had that chat. Chuck loved Jimmy in that scene 

4 hours ago, Kodamarama said:
  Hide contents

Florida is the prison she made for herself. As someone already said, it’s her hair shirt - a monastic life with almost no opportunities to be Slippin’ Kimmy.  

Other than perhaps to keep working for that free legal firm, I personally doubt Kim even goes back to Florida after the trial.  Jimmy fell on his sword to absolve her - she’s going to make the best of herself now to honour that sacrifice. 

Wishing a kid-filled life for Kim running a sprinkler company in suburban Florida??  Goddamnit Jamie John!  If Hieronymous Bosch was working now, that’s what he’d be painting.

Someone?!:quote:

The scene where

Spoiler

Saul swaggers into court wearing a tacky silver suit and a shit-eating grin

had me in stitches. Absolute smarmy swine right to the bitter end. 

6 hours ago, scottcr said:

Cracking scene with

Hide contents

Chuck.

there was a waver there, Chuck almost let his guard down and I think he genuinely wanted Jimmy to stay and chat.., and how different would everything had been had they had that chat. Chuck loved Jimmy in that scene 

That scene has an interesting undercurrent as well.

Spoiler

Both times I watched it, I could have sworn Chuck was about to admit to Jimmy that he blocked him from getting a job at HHM.

Chuck carrying around The Time Machine at least seemed to hint that he had regrets about how he treated Jimmy.

It also figures as a beautifull mirror to Chuck's final conversation with Jimmy alive. The same subjects come up as well.

I started a rewatch of Breaking Bad a while back and got about half-way through season 2, so obviously I’m now picking that back up and have started again with season 2 episode 8 - Better Call Saul. 

7 minutes ago, smithstock said:

Following the ending of BCS, I decided to update my tier list for what I feel are the best shows ever made:

S Tier

The Sopranos

Better Call Saul 

Totally with you.

Breaking Bad was great, but Saul I think was even better. Less "filler" episodes mean it never dragged like Bb did on occasion.

Yeah I loved Breaking Bad but funnily enough, I didn't enjoy Saul and originally thought BCS was just a cash in. Turns out they have a cartoon series too. 

If Game of Thrones hadn't wavered towards the end, I think that would have been up there too. But my feeling is that BCS is the only series I've ever seen in its entirety, that holds a candle to The Sopranos. 

14 minutes ago, smithstock said:

Following the ending of BCS, I decided to update my tier list for what I feel are the best shows ever made:

S Tier

The Sopranos

Better Call Saul 

Where the fuck is Dinnerladies?!

22 hours ago, Kodamarama said:

I see there’s a post-credits scene - incredibly slight, and more a sign-off than a postscript, but open to interpretation of course. Was literally impossible to watch on Netflix due to them pushing other tat, but is on YouTube. 

Hide contents

Reveal hidden contents

How you not gonna include

Spoiler

his Howard suit? The first one he specifices in detail?

Anyway, I really enjoyed the finish. It's very difficult to satisfy fans when they're losing something that they love, but this was simultaneously neat and tidy enough to be satisfying, and world-building enough to let people daydream.

Great work.

I think the reason it's so satisfying is exactly because they've never gone out of their way to satisfy fans or write in specifically where characters need to be in the end (*cough* Game of Thrones *cough*).

Spoiler

The characters are exactly where they've got to in the end through being entirely and consistently themselves.

Spoiler

So good.

saul dying in some way would’ve been shit

saul getting away with it would’ve been shit with no closure

saul getting a light sentence would’ve been shit

kim somehow dying would’ve been shit 

So many favourite moments but I think him opening up about Chuck in the courtroom and the flashback to Chuck was just amazing. Actual tears.

Still thinking about the finale. Pretty much the best series finale I've seen and such an awesome series. I'm going to miss it and spending time with the characters.

So many amazing things from this series, including cinematography, acting, characters and even though it's a prequel you never feel like you're going through the motions, or there's no jeopardy. It's such a remedy to so many poorly scripted series and films these days.

And in the finale I was on the edge of my seat not knowing what was going to happen and they nailed it in my view.

I'm looking forward to doing a full rewatch from the start as I've not rewatched any series of this as of yet.

That will be the key in where it ranks of all time series for me.  Even with something like the Sopranos you notice the occasional dip in form, either a couple of episodes that don't live up to the high standard or a subplot that drags or a whole season that isn't quite as good as the ones around it.

Did a BB re-watch recently and the buying the car wash stuff drags for one thing.

As Saul basically did what it wanted, when it wanted and whatever slow pace it wanted then I'm thinking it might just remain consistently brilliant throughout on a rewatch even when you know whats coming.  In fact, I think its going to be enhanced by watching Kim and Howard and Jimmy himself knowing their eventual fates and what you learn about them on the way

Spoiler

Rewatching Howard, for example, is going to be fascinating and a lot of his scenes are going to play differently I think

Based on my recent rewatch of Better Call Saul before this last season, I would argue it's pretty much perfect throughout. Not a moment squandered or time wasted, and riveting for the entire run time. And you definitely cannot say that about Breaking Bad or The Sopranos, despite how well regarded those shows are.

2 hours ago, Girth Certificate said:

How did that end, they all go over the top like the end of Blackadder Goes Forth?

Stan was distraught after his mom died, so he went crazy and rigged up the conveyor toaster so it opened up a portal into the cursed dimension from The Keep. They all got dragged inside and Anita became ruler of the dark realm.