IGNORED

Next gen - will it give us something different?

Oh Danny Boy

Hardware innovations like Oculus Rift aside it probably will be more of the same with prettier graphics most of the time, but that is no bad thing, considering how good we have it right now. Edge called the current gen perhaps the best one of them all in their anniversary edition (the exact quote is in the 360 section) and there is something to be said for that. The sheer variety and creativity right now is astonishing. This is mostly thanks to the digital space taking of and people doing creative things with fairly new technology like motion controls and touch screens.

It still boggles my mind that I can play something like Year Walk on my iPad, Fire Emblem Awakening on the 3DS, Spelunky on my Vita, Gone Home on the PC, The Wonderful 101 on Wii U, The Last of Us and Journey on PS3 and Metal Gear Rising and Dark Souls on my 360. There is a top quality game released on an amost weekly basis these days. A few weeks ago we had Rayman Legends and TW101, in a few days we have GTA V (which as an aside is the perfect example of ambition in a AAA game, one that work on a far bigger scale and with a lot more content than its counterparts in the previous gen). But at the same time we also have something like Volgarr the Viking, a loving indie throwback to the hard action platformers of old. That's fucking cool and proves these are exciting times indeed.

This won't change next-gen. We've already seen tons of exciting indies announced for PS4 for example, titles like Resogun, Octodad, Secret Ponchos, Hohokum and Galak-Z. They look great, will probably play great and with the ease of development and publishing - a huge improvement over last gen -, we'll see tons of that next-gen. Genres that people proclaimed dead will return, from (tactical) stealh like Incognita and Volume to the survival horror of Daylight and Outlast. Big publishers are joining the fray as well. We see Sony publish stuff like Killzone and God of War, but also quirky and interesting titles like Tokyo Jungle and The Unfinished Swan. Ubisoft is another prime example. Assassins's Creed and Watch_Dogs on one hand; Trials, Child of Light and Valiant Hearts on the other.

We're also seeing developers taking established franchises into new directions. Look at what Kojima is doing with MG5 for example, or CD Projekt Red with The Witcher. Instead of taking the same game and making it prettier, it improves on its gameplay concepts while going fully open world in a game that dwarfs its predecessors in scale without sacrificing its narrative strengths. Hopefully we'll see more of that. Ambient multiplayer will probably be big as well. Pioneered by the Souls games and Journey, it now appears in blockbusters aimed at a large audience, like Watch_Dogs. Online in general will be a big thing, aimed at the social aspect of gaming (Driveclub, Destiny, The Division).

TLDR; So no, I don't think it will be too different to what we have now, it will be prettier refinements of existing concepts more than anything, but that's no bad thing if you look at what's available right now.

Act III: Ignore all talk of indie games offering lots of innovation and being much more widely available than before

Act IV: Assume and/or claim that you are right because no-one disagrees with you, when in fact people are ignoring you

None of those are counterpoints though, people going "what about indie games" aren't actually contesting my point that AAA is moribund, they're just going "yeah, you're right, but look over there".

That's why no-one is disagreeing with me, even the posts that are phrased as challenges are accepting my position implicitly and trying to talk about something else or trying to claim that I'm arguing something I'm not.

Is the Avatar example a joke? It has some of the most basic storytelling techniques and a really cliche story.

No. It's an example of an animated cave painting. With spaceships. Representing the fact that just because the essence of something remains the same and is expanded doesn't make it not new.

Not sure I could stare at a cave painting for any longer than I could play Manic Miner, which is essentially Tomb Raider without the boobs.

Is the Avatar example a joke? It has some of the most basic storytelling techniques and a really cliche story.

Perhaps a godfather gif would be a better example?

Although there are no cavemen in it. :P

You do recognise the theme of the cave painting is pretty much the plot for Avatar? Dirty rotten humans kill the indigenous wildlife/smurfs.

Satire in action.

When is something AAA though? See, I agree with RJ to some extent. I've been completely burnt out on most AAA games lately, a few exceptions like The Last of Us and GTA V aside. Bought way too many of them, completed very few due to a lack of interest and am regretting the investment. Most of my gaming time went into my Vita and games like Velocity Ultra, Hotline Miami and Spelunky. That is, if AAA is just the Tomb Raiders and Far Crys of this world. Aren't games like Dark Souls, Metal Gear Rising, Super Mario Galaxy and Rayman Legends AAA as well, despite them being far less expensive to make than something like Assassin's Creed? Because these games do show ambition, come up with great gameplay concepts and take the player seriously. I mean, they're not exactly indie games either. So what are they?

Budget, basically.

Yeah, I get that, but there are so manny different layers of budget between indie and GTA V that I wonder where AAA begins and ends and whether or not RJ talks about those games I mentioned in my post above, or just the really expensive big-hitters like AC, CoD and GTA (though that one can't be accused of a lack of ambition, as I said earlier).

Surely, games like Deus Ex: HR, X-Com Enemy Unknown, The Witcher 2 (and 3 for that matter) and Portal 2 are essentially AAA games, but are they 'mordibund' AAA games? I think not.

Some indie games probably even have higher budgets than retail games. The Witness for example could very well be a more expensive game than say, Dragon's Crown or Catherine. I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

Perhaps we should just treat them all like games in the end, regardless of their budget, cause that is ultimately what they are. To us as consumers the only thing that should matter is how much enjoyment we get out of it, not for how much it was made. Whether that is 200 hours in Minecraft or 200 hours in the Battlefield MP is irrelevant in that respect.

I think that we are getting quite close to the same level as various other forms of entertainment, for every Transformers, we have a Primer and so on (or whatever tickles your lower budget fancy).

I still would be more than happy if we get to a level where budget or indie games could look like Shenmue, or a PS2 / last gen game but then really have that depth or story driven side of things.

One thing that has really been amazing to me this gen is the whole kickstarter thing, I know it's essentially gen agnostic but it came up during this gen, so is still arguably relevant. If that continues as it is and you can invest early in things that really interest you, rather than having to play the alleged AAA games then long may it continue. One of those that I'm genuinely really looking forward to is the pseudo sequel to Planescape, it sounds like it could be fantastic and actually have a lot of the branching paths and variation that has been hinted at but hidden behind smoke and mirrors for all time.

You could even argue that some of the original text adventures were guilty of such a thing with "can't combine two things that you could actually quite easily combine in the real world (because we didn't write it in to the game)" is the start of all of that. I would love storylines that were actually a bit more procedural (or at least varied) whereby you have decisions that are more than "Heal The World or Murder Babies" and with things like Walking Dead, we're getting closer but that still had an actually relatively linear path in regards to where you got in the end.

Will Next Gen give us something different? Yes.

I don't think the power pushing the top-end AAA game isn't going to the differentiator (money and time are far more limiting now). The sheer raw power allowing for easier development is the real change.

Housemarque, developers of Resogun:

Keeping in mind that Warframe dev Digital Extremes took only 3 months to get the game running on PS4, we asked how long it took to get RESOGUN going. “It took a little longer. I don’t know how many people were working for Warframe on PS4; we had mainly two, one long-time veteran and one relatively new hire. A few others helped, too, but the graphic engine takes the lion’s share of the effort.”

So in three-ish months, two (and a bit) staff made this:

3Pe9.gif

Just amazing. Titanfall has a small team too I think. I feel there is going to a real explosion in the breadth of games available with a range of development budgets and pricing models to match.

Next-Gen might see the industry finally grow up and end all of the boom and bust, Maybe.

I used to buy any console I could afford (and some I couldn't) at launch, but won't be doing that this time as the transition from one gen to another seems to be much more blurred this time, I still have shedloads to play on my PS3 and I don't see yet what the difference maker is going to be for the new machines.

For me, once the last gen got into it's swing, it brought us the brilliance of smaller games on PSN and Live Arcade, and then the idea of value add for customers with PS+ and Games on Gold (eventually). For me, these have been the 2 innovations that have really made this gen stand out from the others. Yes, graphics are prettier too, but thats what you expect to happen. DLC also exploded with some great examples and some shocking rip offs.

I'll wait and see what happens for a while now, someone will come up with an innovation or great idea, and I'll be interested to see how the sales figures go. Enthusiasts have placed their pre-orders but it's how the general consumer sees the benefit in upgrading that will be interesting.

I don't count Nintendo in this discussion really as they are kind of doing their own thing now, I love my Wii U, but they are really in a different space to Sony and MS now

Watch dogs looks like it could provide a new experience; the world seems more varied and the A.I. looks far more complex then what the current gen could produce, well thats what I've gathered from the handful of demo vids I've seen.

The current and Nextgen versions are gameplay-identical. It literally is just shinier graphics.

It's just an iteration of Scramble.

There is something highly amusing about seeing people impressed with a game where the core mechanic dates back to 1981, There are plenty of excellent shmups out there that have evolved the genre but I guess it goes to show how fickle gamers are when they are woo'd by a graphical technique.