IGNORED

Next gen - will it give us something different?

Oh Danny Boy

There is something highly amusing about seeing people impressed with a game where the core mechanic dates back to 1981, There are plenty of excellent shmups out there that have evolved the genre but I guess it goes to show how fickle gamers are when they are woo'd by a graphical technique.

Forza 5 is basically Night Driver by that logic.

Some indie games probably even have higher budgets than retail games. The Witness for example could very well be a more expensive game than say, Dragon's Crown or Catherine. I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

Perhaps we should just treat them all like games in the end, regardless of their budget, cause that is ultimately what they are. To us as consumers the only thing that should matter is how much enjoyment we get out of it, not for how much it was made. Whether that is 200 hours in Minecraft or 200 hours in the Battlefield MP is irrelevant in that respect.

No point comparing typical Japanese game budgets, which are generally surprisingly low, with Western game budgets. And for your 2 examples, the first one, definitely, by several times, and likely the latter one too, considering the dev involved and their general sales expectations.

Same for Eastern Euro dev games and games made in high cost Western countries. Pay people less, problem solved.

Indie games may have in some ways reset things, but looking at Jonathan Blow and Notch, the amount of money they can afford to throw at the problem now is going to make it more difficult for others to compete, the cycle's just going to begin again, you can see it happening to a certain extent on mobile. In the end, indie devs exist on console as the garnish to make all the jaded junkies upgrade to a new expensive box, the majority of people will not pay good money to play games with the production values and scope of most indie games, just like most people don't do indie films or indie music, otherwise they'd be the establishment, rather than indie.

I do agree that games are games, no matter what the budget, but I'd never buy a new expensive console to play primarily indie games, put them on a device I already own.

Next gen will bring progression, in what areas I have no particular idea, but every single other console hardware upgrade has improved genres bogged down by lack of power and allowed ideas to be implemented that couldn't be done before effectively.

We just get better graphics, sound, improved surround sound, physics, more open world and online gaming but in the end of day game are very similar, what we need is new ideas and different type of games. Look at Red Dead games from Rockstar. How about doing something with Native Americans Indians or sport games ie Tennis games why not do squash or badminton. Give us new experience :)

Games like GTA V (Not played it yet, why not let gamer become a cop and clean up the underworld)

We just get better graphics, sound, improved surround sound, physics, more open world and online gaming but in the end of day game are very similar, what we need is new ideas and different type of games. Look at Red Dead games from Rockstar. How about doing something with Native Americans Indians or sport games ie Tennis games why not do squash or badminton. Give us new experience :)

Games like GTA V (Not played it yet, why not let gamer become a cop and clean up the underworld)

GTAV is a tennis game!

You play an undercover cop in Sleeping Dogs if that interests you.