IGNORED

Hearthstone

Hexx

I think we should be getting some sort of TGT related Brawl today, unless I've misunderstood. Exciting!

Oh and just seen the official release date is next Monday!

I look forward to playing with some new cards on Tuesday or Wednesday :)

7 games. All Mage. 6 wins.

One game I had three minions out on turn 6 that gave me:

Unlimited hero power use

Hero power costs 1

Hero power does +1 damage.

So turn 7 I did 14 damage with ping, before the individual minions attacks, then dropped 2 8/8 frost Giants.

Good game.

I'm thinking so too. Nice attempt at non-aggro Hunter, but the deck relies too much on the host mechanic, for too little benefit. I like Lock and Load though.

It's going to be fun. Just won as a hunter after a turn 4 Lock and Load, Lock and Load, Hunter's Mark, Coin 'cause fuck it, then drew 2 more Hunter's Marks that I threw on the same minion as before. By that point my hand was almost guaranteed to give me the win, it was more a matter of trying not to mill myself. There's a lot of potential draw in that deck.

So I have decided I need to work out my full time games so I can actually start enjoying them to the full.

Have decided on this as my card game of choice. How essential are the expansion packs early on?

Short answer is depends.

Long answer - what kind of deck do you like to play? Do the adventures have cards that help?

Naxx is easily the best of the 2

You get sludge belcher, webspinner, unstable ghoul, mad scientist, haunted creeper, death's bite, loatheb, kelthuzad, all of which I use regularly, plus a bunch of others that still see play in the meta.

Blackrock gave us emperor thaurissian and some dragons you only play if you're a wanker paladin.

I've been playing over a year now. Pretty much everyday or thereabouts. I've a decent collection, most commons and rares, say half epics and a bunch of decent legends. Plus both adventure sets

Come monday you will have 3 different card sets to pick from when you get card packs.

If you are planning on spending money - I'd buy packs, now at the very start of your playing as you will get the most value, you're more likely to get cards you don't already have. Any duplicates can be dusted to make more cards.

I've only bought packs twice - once a week or 2 in when I realised i liked it, and once when GVG came out and there was a guarantee of new cards for my money. I haven't preordered cards this time as I've been sensible and saved up, should have 3,000 gold by monday - 30 packs should keep me going, the new cards don't look too great to be honest, and I'm not taken with the jousting mechanic/gimmick.

I bought the adventures with a mix of gold and cash.

Also - the game throws a lot of gold at you early on, use this to buy the adventures, start with Naxx until you get sludge belcher.

If you only do your daily quests you will earn between 50 and 70 gold a day on most days unless you get the coveted "Total domination" (7 wins)quest or the spectate quest - (free pack)

Make sure you level up all your heroes to ten to get all the basic cards (there's a gold reward for that)

Yeah, I'll take a step back from that initial impression. I've probably won more as Hunter than Mage at this point. But that's entirely down to RNG.

Lock and Load is largely the instigator of that RNG though, so I've found myself going for less than ideal plays to save up for a combo.

Basically this brawl seems to be an advertisement for how valuable Lock and Load can be. Great thinking Blizz, Hunters could certainly use a buff...

Yeah, I'll take a step back from that initial impression. I've probably won more as Hunter than Mage at this point. But that's entirely down to RNG.

Lock and load is Largely the instigator of that RNG though, so I've found myself going for less than ideal plays to save up for a combo.

Basically this brawl seems to be an advertisement for how valuable Lock and Load can be. Great thinking Blizz, Hunters could certainly use a buff...

But in order to get the most out of it, you do, most of the time, have to hold back and make slightly inefficient plays like you say. And that doesn't really suit the current hunter. My initial reaction is I can't see it being used in face hunter, they could use that extra 2 mana to ping 2 to the face, plus the randomness of the card that gets added. If this is pushing Hunter to be more mid-rangey I'm totally on board. As long as it doesn't turn out to be completely broken, of course.

That's true.

I'd love to hear about the staff play-testing on this brawl. There's a balance I didn't appreciate between the fact that a good player should probably win with the Mage most games, and that a good player can manipulate a win as a Hunter. But that's reliant on this specific deck v deck match-up.

I guess my current analysis is that this brawl is no true reflection of the new cards, but a great example of what a Brawl is capable of.

I've now played about 25 games, about a 50/50 split , I've lost as mage twice , won as hunter twice.

It's so dependent in getting a good streak out of lock and load. it could work in a well put together deck, but the jousts make it really shitty. the number of people who play jouster turn 6 , fail, then concede is crazy

My initial impression of the jousting mechanic is.. well, I'm not really keen on it. It's quite RNG heavy, and some of the perks can provide a huge swing. It's quite new and fresh though, so I'm happy to give it a chance. And obviously it's anti-aggro, which is good.

Fuck yes!!!

Just played an online game me as a Mage vs a Warrior.

He gets me down to 1HP whilst he has about 17 left on his hero. On the battlefield I have 2 characters with freeze abilities and also a freeze spell. At this point he has 4 minions ready to attack next turn, which is all but game over.

I play my spell which does 2 Damage to each enemy minion, plus freezes them. I take out all four minions, damage him. Lay a charge character (3,1) and let loose, on that turn I take him from 17 to 8 health, he can do nothing the next turn but add another shield, as he has no cards left to play and is frozen. On the next turn I just fuck him over big time and win.

I punched the air in delight.

So I have decided I need to work out my full time games so I can actually start enjoying them to the full.

Have decided on this as my card game of choice. How essential are the expansion packs early on?

Buying Naxx is pretty standard if you want to start climbing the ladder past the lower rungs. There are tons of useful cards in there.

Blackrock isn't so much, but it depends what classes you like to play.

My initial impression of the jousting mechanic is.. well, I'm not really keen on it. It's quite RNG heavy, and some of the perks can provide a huge swing. It's quite new and fresh though, so I'm happy to give it a chance. And obviously it's anti-aggro, which is good.

As a game mechanic I quite like it. It opens up scope for a lot of slower decks, which I'm all for after playing 4 face bashers in a row. If it actually changes the meta remains to be seen!

Though I wish is wasn't as slow and that a joust was a bit more of an event during the game. If they sped it up and there were some fancy lances crossing or something I'd enjoy it a bit more.

An opponent mage has a Mad Scientist on the board. It's my turn and play a Fire Elemental and use it's battle cry to kill the Scientist.

The Scientist death rattle pulls a Mirror Entity from his deck, which then immediately triggers and copies my Fire Elemental.

That is some straight up bullshit with an extra side of salt.

An opponent mage has a Mad Scientist on the board. It's my turn and I play a Fire Elemental and kill the Scientist.

The Scientist deathrattle pulls a Mirror Entity from his deck, which then immediately triggers and copies my Fire Elemental.

There is some weird stuff going on...

I've played a minon to the face of my opponent or against an opponent minion, (which had insufficient attack to kill me), and had the skull appear over my attacking minion.

The resultant action didn't kill my attacking minion but it did give me pause for thought before pulling the trigger.

I've also had other negative thoughts about the priority of triggered actions. Some seem way off and I haven't memorised them all by any means. Just thought meh! and carried on but there is one I've recalled which doesn't affect gameplay but it feels stupid to me...

The Acidmaw minion...Let's say you have it then trigger unleash the hounds and attack your opponents minions. It's a very effective attack. The acidmaw spits acid and kills your opponents minions, even if your hound barely dented their health. So far, so good. But since your hounds are likely only 1/1 unless you buff them, the attack on your opponent doesn't 'kill' them, (the hounds), outright, as such, you have to go through the whole rigmarole of the acidmaw spitting acid at your hounds to 'kill' them.

Maybe I'm just a noob,been playing since day one, and this priority stuff is 'all in the game'.

Just recalled Northshire Clerics doing the same thing. If you use a spell which zaps your opponent's minions, (holy nova), which heals your own minions, even if the kill element of the spell kills your opponents Northshire Clerics, the resultant healing also triggers their card draw too.

It may be normal but it would be better if it didn't do that.

Dunno, maybe it makes me an expert for even knowing this shit...or a noob.

EDIT: I realise I may be mixing up oddness with features...

Heartstone's mechanics are deliberately engineered to reduce timing issues like these, because they are hard to explain to players, but obviously there are still issues. The classic one is in the timing of deathrattles: they trigger in the order the minions were played to the table, which can be important if two Sylvannas clash, for example.

Minions also have a 'moribund' state, which allows a window after they have had their health reduced to zero, but before they have been removed from the board, for abilities to trigger. You'll notice this with minions like Frothing Berserker, who will sit there and buff their attack before dying to a board clear.

An opponent mage has a Mad Scientist on the board. It's my turn and play a Fire Elemental and use it's battle cry to kill the Scientist.

The Scientist death rattle pulls a Mirror Entity from his deck, which then immediately triggers and copies my Fire Elemental.

This is working as intended. As revlob says, it's about the ordering of the battlecry/deathrattle effects that makes it like that. It should be more intuitive, but it's not. This is the specific ordering that made this happen, if you're interested:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/306npt/official_confirmation_on_battlecrysecret/

1. Place Fire Elemental on board (VALID TARGET)
  2. Battlecry start
  3. Targets Mad Scientist, kills it
  4. Mad Scientist Deathrattle start
  5. Finds Mirror Entity in deck, activates it immediately
  6. Mad Scientist Deathrattle end
  7. Battlecry end
  8. Minion has been played (SECRET TRIGGER)
  9. Mage now has Mirror Entity, so it copies the Fire Elemental