IGNORED

Hearthstone

Hexx

I've been playing HS for approaching 6 months and I cannot get all that good at it. Best I can get is rank 15 and I suck at arena. I hold about a 70:30 win in non-ranked if guess.

Anywhere can I read? I have been watching YouTube vids for guidance. I want to make decks they use but I cannot construct anywhere near all the cards required. I only have one truely outstanding card which is the 8 cost Paladin epic who summon the 5-3 weapon... I'd love more neutral epics but I cannot find them and collecting the dust would take a lifetime!?!

Tirion's probably the best card in the game :). But yeah if you want a vaguely competitive Paladin deck he's not just going to cut it on his own. But quite a few of the best cards aren't legendaries, do you have any of Shielded Minibot, Piloted Shredder, or Muster for Battle?

I'd recommend Trump's Teachings, but sounds like you might be slightly beyond that already.

Here's a recently updated Budget Deck guide that might be useful: https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/3m6njs/shengs_budget_tgt_decks_for_all_9_classes/

I'd recommend trying to build a Paladin deck with Tirion, or trying Tempo Mage (if you have Flamewakers), or trying Face Hunter. There's nothing wrong with Face Hunter really. It's a perfectly valid way to try and win.

Tirion's probably the best card in the game :). But yeah if you want a vaguely competitive Paladin deck he's not just going to cut it on his own. But quite a few of the best cards aren't legendaries, do you have any of Shielded Minibot, Piloted Shredder, or Muster for Battle?

I'd recommend Trump's Teachings, but sounds like you might be slightly beyond that already.

Here's a recently updated Budget Deck guide that might be useful: https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/3m6njs/shengs_budget_tgt_decks_for_all_9_classes/

I'd recommend trying to build a Paladin deck with Tirion, or trying Tempo Mage (if you have Flamewakers), or trying Face Hunter. There's nothing wrong with Face Hunter really. It's a perfectly valid way to try and win.

Good advice. There aren't many secrets to getting to rank 5, the win streak stuff makes it actually quite easy (compared to getting to legend, which is a bastard).

You need to learn to play one or two very good decks (e.g. a good secret pala or tempo mage) consistently well, learn a bit about what you are playing against, learn to mulligan (very important) and cut mistakes out of your game. For me I play recreationally whilst doing other things, but it takes a while to get to the level where you're consistently playing really well (and can relax with an easy-ish deck like secret pala) and can do it whilst watching Nathan For You or whatever.

Face hunter as an example seems simple, but there are loads of edges within the mulligan and the first play etc that will be changed by what you're playing against which takes face hunter up about 10% in terms of winrate. It's a variance game (like poker) so exploiting edges is where it's at.

Arena is a different beast but definitely helps your overall game, play as much of it as you can.

My battlenet is up-thread, i'm sure we have some legend players here but feel free to catch me on there and i'm happy to spectate and talk through your constructed games.

It's not though, its a horrendously anti-fun way to play the game.

Well, each to their own and all that. Obviously I don't recommend playing something to someone if they don't enjoy it :). I meant more that no one should feel bad for playing it. It's just another deck that exploits HS's mechanics, as all good decks do. Different people enjoy different aspects of the game, I don't see a problem with recommending the deck to someone new to the game and keen to climb the ladder.

My battlenet is up-thread, i'm sure we have some legend players here but feel free to catch me on there and i'm happy to spectate and talk through your constructed games.

A handful of us have pushed to the ranks beyond 5, but have we had any players reach Legendary yet? I know TGP was one win off a couple of seasons ago, but don't recall anyone making it yet.

In the early seasons, I used to play it more and the decks I play (pretty much 100% mid range and control) got up to rank 7+ easily every month, usually ending up around ranks 3-5 with Handlock or Ramp Druid. I play the game less now, on my phone which can disconnect a lot and lose me ranked games and the meta ..well the meta. But yeah, ladder is way harder than it used to be imo.

Thanks for the tips guys. A lot of jargon / lingo being used which I do not understand :(

What do people mean when they say, the meta? And what's, mulligan? What is a "tempo" and "control" deck?

Read around the bnet forums a bit after my (whine) post and I noticed lots of similar threads about the fact the game is F2P but the reward system with gold hasn't been updated since classic and as such newer players struggle to compete. I wonder if I fall into that bracket. Every third person drops Dr.Boom or Sylvnass and I generally proceed to a loss after that.

I have played a bit of face hunter copying a trump deck and crafted a Trump deck using dust and it worked well. Just found it a bit unthoughtful and lost interest in it after a while. Didn't like the lack of a plan B either if you get to 8 or 9 mana you're GGd! Reno also is a huge counter now to it!

"Meta" generally means "the current state of the game". What's popular right now, what kinds of decks are you most likely to encounter, etc.

"Mulligan" is when you elect to toss back cards from your opening hand before a game. It's important to know which cards in your deck you should be aiming to draw early on.

"Control" decks are generally the opposite of "Aggro" decks, where the objective is to counter or slow down the opponent in the early game, so that you can dominate in the later phase with high cost, high-impact cards.

"Tempo" is about who is currently ahead on the board. If you have tempo, you should be aiming for your opponent's face, rather than aiming to exchange your minions/spells for their minions. Tempo decks are good at maintaining board presence, with high value cards good at turning around a poor position, allowing you to concentrate on dealing damage while forcing your opponent to make difficult choices and unfavourable exchanges.

"Meta" generally means "the current state of the game". What's popular right now, what kinds of decks are you most likely to encounter, etc.

"Mulligan" is when you elect to toss back cards from your opening hand before a game. It's important to know which cards in your deck you should be aiming to draw early on.

"Control" decks are generally the opposite of "Aggro" decks, where the objective is to counter or slow down the opponent in the early game, so that you can dominate in the later phase with high cost, high-impact cards.

"Tempo" is about who is currently ahead on the board. If you have tempo, you should be aiming for your opponent's face, rather than aiming to exchange your minions/spells for their minions. Tempo decks are good at maintaining board presence, with high value cards good at turning around a poor position, allowing you to concentrate on dealing damage while forcing your opponent to make difficult choices and unfavourable exchanges.

That's not quite right about tempo (but the rest is spot on). Lot's here http://hearthstonetheorycraft.tumblr.com/post/61758259500/what-is-tempo- I like its wording "‘Tempo’ is time. Tempo decks prioritizes making efficient use of your mana while forcing your opponent to make inefficient use of theirs. It wins by playing efficient threats, building your board, denying their board and winning in a short amount of time.". For a beginner a good place to start is making sure you spend all your mana every turn, if you can.

@mtc I've tried to write an easy explanation of why you should but I couldn't, it's something that becomes clear as you go on and you don't need to understand it all now.

Ok,how about this example - you are playing a mage and it's your turn two. You have a http://www.hearthhead.com/card=2499/tournament-attendeein your hand, and nothing else to play. You know the mage can kill it easily next turn. What do you do? Well, whilst it seems like an easy free kill for the mage, actually he is expending mana, and nearly his whole turn three to kill your card. He loses tempo, and you lose card advantage (you have one less card relative to your opponent). Is this a good trade? Normally not. But there are cases when this is the right thing to do, one might be that you have cards to play for the next few turns (a 3, 4, 5 drop) and you think they have more chance of winning you the game if your opponent skips his turn three, and you won't have a chance to play your attendee at a more useful time. That's where you need to assess just how valuable disrupting your opponents tempo is.

I would sum "tempo" up as, how much you immediately affect the board when you spend mana. Rogue is a good example of a tempo class as they are able to remove minions for very little mana e.g. using Backstab (2 damage for 0 mana), Eviscerate (4 damage for 2 mana), SI-7 Agent (playing a 3-3 and doing 2 damage).

So, for example, if your opponent has a 4-4 on the board, and you have nothing. As a Rogue on turn 3 you can play Backstab and then SI-7 to remove their 4-4 and put a 3-3 onto the board. So you've "swung" the board by a total of 7 attack and 7 defense, but only using 3 mana. This is a very high tempo play, or a tempo "swing".

Often tempo decks have a turn like this where they have a big tempo swing, clearing the opponents minions whilst playing their own, and go on to win from there.

An example of "anti-tempo" would be, playing a Gnomish Inventor (4 mana 2-4, draws a card). Yes, you've drawn a card so it may not be a terrible play, but you've only added 2 attack and 4 defense onto the board, whilst using 4 mana. This is low tempo.

A game of pure joy yesterday. Was playing against a priest (still hate that class) and he was down to 4 health, I was on 15. But he had just Mind Controlled my Tirion Fording, so had 7 minions to my zero. Was dead next turn, only 1 card in my hand. He had also been doing the "I am sorry" button all the time, and i hadn't squelched him as it fuels my view of people who play priest (Can't help it, sorry).

My card was a secret, zero use. I drew a Ragnaros. Might as well play it, 1 in 8 chance of getting a hit. And Blammo, mushed his priest at the end of my turn. I hate the RNG side sometimes, but since TGT it seems to be more in play, so this felt pretty good! Felt a little sorry for the guy though. But not too much.

I can't think of any deck which wouldn't have better 2 drops to draw. Owl's value is in its cheap silence effect, which is best saved for countering the more dangerous abilities of higher cost cards. Tirion, Sylvanas, etc.

I'd agree with this. Unless you expect a particular deck to have something that must be silenced early, it's almost always going to be way better later in the game. Perhaps if you're running a lot of fragile creatures, silencing a Mad Scientist against Hunter could be good, but even then it's such a fringe case.

I'd agree with this. Unless you expect a particular deck to have something that must be silenced early, it's almost always going to be way better later in the game. Perhaps if you're running a lot of fragile creatures, silencing a Mad Scientist against Hunter could be good, but even then it's such a fringe case.

It's a reasonable keep against face hunter, it challenges mad scientist and the spider. Can be game losing to muligan it (if you replace it with a blessing of kings or something) Against seret pala it is also fine.

The key decision point is whether you have something else to play out. So against a hunter, if your other two cards are a 1/2 drop, maybe drop the owl - but if you have 2 three drops and the owl, hold the owl as it's a premade answer and you may well not get an answer from the mulligan. With most agro decks you know exactly what will be dropped turns 1/2/3 - so just decide whether owl is a better drop against those given your other cards.

I can't think of any deck which wouldn't have better 2 drops to draw. Owl's value is in its cheap silence effect, which is best saved for countering the more dangerous abilities of higher cost cards. Tirion, Sylvanas, etc.

But two things aren't sure - that you will replace it with something more suitable (a better two drop) or that you'll draw it mid/late game. Pitching it is fine if you're in a control vs control matchup, but for e.g. tempo mage you might need the owl in the first 7 turns to win the game (or massively lose it) - Silence a taunt (vs handlock,druid), cheaply neutralise avenge (vs secret pala), cheaply kill a twilight drake and so on.

No, that's fair advice. It does depend on what the matchup is, and it does depend on what else you've got in your hand. Not convinced it's a good one to keep against tempo mage, as if that's the best answer you've drawn in the early game you're in trouble. Against hunter through it's a better choice, agree there.

No, that's fair advice. It does depend on what the matchup is, and it does depend on what else you've got in your hand. Not convinced it's a good one to keep against tempo mage, as if that's the best answer you've drawn in the early game you're in trouble. Against hunter through it's a better choice, agree there.

I've seen a few pros talk about how good mulliganing is where they get the edge and I still find it the bit of the game i'm least good at, to mulligan "correctly". Mulliganing with patron seemed to decide the game, luckily I was always rubbish at it and now the deck doesn't exist anymore!

You're right I wouldn't hold it against tempo mage thinking about it. Say the other two/three cards were dud, i'd probably risk getting something good out of pitching all three than I would risk keeping the owl, as it's marginal against tempo or a total blank against freeze mage.

A handful of us have pushed to the ranks beyond 5, but have we had any players reach Legendary yet? I know TGP was one win off a couple of seasons ago, but don't recall anyone making it yet.

I hit rank 1 really early on, couldn't be arsed since then. Its not difficult per se, but it takes a huge amount of time.

Will be sad to see it go. But I do relish the new brawls every week!

I wonder when they're going to change the collection button into a smaller button and add a new feature. And what it'll be. Would love to see a knock out tournament mode starting with quarter finals gambling gold or something similar for entry and prizes pooling...

So as a F2P player, although did buy the latest wing, how do I get some Legendard cards, like Dr Boom? Dust is so appalling hard to get!

Always make sure you do your daily quests, preferably swapping out the 40G ones for better if possible. Use the gold on arena runs rather than directly buying packs - even if you only average 3 wins per run you should work out better off in terms of gold than buying the packs direct. Try to play enough ranked to get to rank 15 each month, as you'll get a couple of golden cards which yield a decent amount of dust. If there's a class you never play, think about whether you might want to dust any rares/epics in that class and (in my opinion) insta-dust ANY golden cards where you already have the standard version. I'm a pretty terrible hearthstone player, as those on here who've played me will attest, but I usually amass enough dust for a new legendary every month or so.