IGNORED

Hearthstone

Hexx

Fuck me I hate fucking Paladins.

I'm really enjoying my Priest at the moment for this reason. I've got a buttload of AoE in there (at least one each of Holy Nova, Excavated Evil and Lightbomb) as well as some Shadow Words and Shadow Priests/Shrinkmeisters. If/when they play Tirion and/or Dr Boom they get Entombed. It's delicious.

Priests are basically control decks and not just throw shit on the board and see if you win decks ie secret/aggro pally/face hunter/aggro shaman/mech mage - so I LOVE priest (because I love control) - So anything that counters the meta that makes hearthstone an aggro based annoyance is great in my books. I was using a dragon priest but I don't think it has enough removal so I'll make one with evil and entomb.

Is it me or is the returning brawl much harder this time? I've not managed a win yet, but have had the bastard's health down to one.

I thought it was slightly easier this time due to the attack biggest minion cycle only dealing the current attack damage of mechazod and not killing the minion outright like it did the first time around.

I played the brawl first time around incessantly, like therapy, and clocked up over 100 wins. I clocked up less wins this time but I did play it less.

Priests are basically control decks and not just throw shit on the board and see if you win decks ie secret/aggro pally/face hunter/aggro shaman/mech mage - so I LOVE priest (because I love control) - So anything that counters the meta that makes hearthstone an aggro based annoyance is great in my books. I was using a dragon priest but I don't think it has enough removal so I'll make one with evil and entomb.

There was a Dragon Priest I used that didn't use the "optional" early-midrange minions (Cultist, Twilight Drake, etc) and instead had two Novas, two Lightbombs, all the Shadow Words you can possibly have, and then used Chillmaw, Confessor Paletress and Ysera to close the game out once your opponent had run out of steam. Not sure if it's as effective (or at least optimised) now as it was when I was using it a couple of seasons ago, but I can try and remember the full list if you want to stick with Dragon Priest (and still be the bane of Secretadins). I've moved onto a Priest with less minions (and no dragons) and much more shenanigans, as that's how I like to play Priest ideally. I can't wait until a decent new Shadow Priest deck appears, as one of those (pre-TGT) was pretty much my favourite deck ever...

Are Naga Sea Witch decks a thing now? I played a Druid last night who was running two, and using them to get out a lot of big taunts/legendaries. My Lightbombs were nowhere to be seen for pretty much the whole game, and I was horribly behind, with no board versus a (damaged) 7/3 Volcanic Lumberer, a Naga Sea Witch (his second) and Ysera.

What followed was why people love/hate Priests - I used a Shrinkmeister on Ysera, and killed her with SW:Pain. Used the other Shrinkmeister on the Naga Sea Witch, then ran her into the Volcanic Lumberer with a Shadow Madness, killing both. Suddenly his 7/3 taunt, 4/12 legendary and 5/5 epic are all gone, and my empty board is two 3/2's (which, of course, is still too much for most Druids to clear without a bit of work). The next turn I followed that up with the Golden Monkey (and a 4/4 Edwin courtesy of that), and he conceded.

I'm also having some fun with a demon-flavoured Renolock. I hate playing Freeze Mages generally, but I had one last night I managed to stitch up in fine style. I had their health down to within range, and had already popped one Ice Block, with Mal'Ganis and a Doomguard on the board. He played a Sludge Belcher and then a Doomsayer, then apologised (which was a bit bold, as there's a few ways through that, even if he did know I'd already played my Owl and Darkbomb). I ran the Doomguard into the Belcher, Shadowflamed the Doomguard to kill his whole board, then ran Mal into his face for the win. Lovely stuff.

Rank 9 at the moment. Every prick on there is a secret paladin - apart from one or two aggro shamans. Kind of sad all people play on ladder is autoplay decks that require fuck all skill or thought. Also where the hell is this weeks brawl?

Had a bit of a bad run at this tonight. Five games in a row, turn 6 (well coin was used on 5 once) christmas tree time. Won most of the games in the end but it just wasn't fun.That one card is genuinely sapping my desire to play this game.

I wont stop playing obviously. I'll just keep silently seething.

I tend to play control decks and now I pretty much concede the second I realise I'm up against an Anyfin deck (which works best with our old friend the Paladin, as if they didn't already have enough options).

Blizzard nerfed Warsong Commander because of it's OTK abilities, which at the time I thought was fair enough. But then they introduce a card like this? At least with Warsong Commander you needed a bit of skill and planning to set up the killing blow, unlike Anyfin where you just have to play brain dead face and get a big reward.

I think it gives something like a minimum of 24 damage from an empty board, compare with another 10 mana spell, Pyroblast, that does 10 damage and is a one and done.

Anyway, for all my moaning it's moments like these that keep me coming back.

Just played a Priest. Turn 3 he plays a Deathlord, I'm able to remove it and it pulls out Ysera. He rage quit, I don't mean he conceded, I got a few rounds of rope and then 'Your opponent left'.

I like to think he threw his phone across the room.

My dream to become a Pro Gamer ended in utter failure (Guardian)

Journalist played Secret Paladin for a week and only made Rank 16. I find this quite hard to believe, honestly. He can't be that bad. He knows about Trump and Reynad, must have watched them play a bit.

Edit: I guess it was in the first week of the season, so maybe not quite so far fetched.

I've come up against a few of them, but Freeze Mage is a deck that requires a bit of skill to play, so when you lose to it, they usually feel as if they've earned it.

How that is 'less fun' than losing to any of the brain dead auto play decks infesting the ladder is beyond me though.

In fairness, Patron Warrior took some skill too, but that didn't stop it from getting (and needing) a nerf. Freeze Mage is a deck that it takes a really long time (by HS standards) to lose to, which is probably what makes it in the same league as some of the others irritants where some are concerned. Speaking as someone who was fucking terrible at playing it though, Freeze Mage is probably fine, and Secret Paladin is still my least favourite opponent by some distance.

(On a side note, I actually love playing Patron Warriors now, as both of the two decks I'm using most at the moment (an Elise Control Priest and Renolock) can absolutely crush them.)

I've actually stopped buying card packs now. I'm up to about 1500+ gold, and will probably be able to buy a ridiculous stack of them whenever the next expansion shows up (in about March, at a guess). There are just no cards I'm missing that I feel I really need at the moment, so I'm just playing around with what's already there and waiting semi-impatiently for the next infusion of new goodies.

I'd rather lose a longer control game where me and the opponent have both had to make considered plays (as I play control decks I have a good chance of coming back in extended games) than lose a few turns in because a dickhead paladin or annoying face hunter or shaman has drawn perfectly and just thrown endless damage at me before I can stabilise. I've had a few horrible games with aggro shamans recently where they always get the new trogg card turn 1, the 3/4 minion on turn 2 and always seem to finish me with the right amount of burst. Blizzard saw shaman was the least popular class likely and applied a fix the best way they know how. Make it dumb and aggro. Monkey and Reno have been the best recent additions to control though and I love both those changes.

I played a combo druid (how long before brody says fuck druid because it isn't fun to lose to combo?) to rank 5 this month fairly easily and was disheartened to find face hunters reappeared on ladder there - they kept killing me by about turn 6/7. I've noticed the main times I get salty about losing is 100% with aggro/brainless decks because I just feel like their stupid rng purely beat me rather than any outplaying or mind games which makes control so much more fun. Matches that go into fatigue and ride on one good or bad decision often get a smile and a well played to the opponent when I lose rather than me wishing a plague upon any aggro dickhead I come across. Kripp made a video recently about the game desperately needing better board clears as minions have become more powerful and sticky over time and tempo dominates over everything else. I agree.

Btw yes, this is how bitter 2 plus years of hearthstone makes you

Yeah, as it's not even really just the board clears that are the issue, it's also (for example) the number of (strong) minions with deathrattles. (Is AoE that nullifies deathrattles even plausible, especially without instantly being wildly overpowered?)

Example - if your Mage opponent has played Shredder, Belcher and Sylvanas their last three turns then a turn 6/7 Lightbomb or Flamestrike really isn't helping you no matter what. Hell, it's entirely possible that neither option would even reduce the number of minions your opponent has. Even a Brawl might not. At best they're just slowing them down a little.

I tend to play control decks and now I pretty much concede the second I realise I'm up against an Anyfin deck (which works best with our old friend the Paladin, as if they didn't already have enough options).

Blizzard nerfed Warsong Commander because of it's OTK abilities, which at the time I thought was fair enough. But then they introduce a card like this? At least with Warsong Commander you needed a bit of skill and planning to set up the killing blow, unlike Anyfin where you just have to play brain dead face and get a big reward.

I think it gives something like a minimum of 24 damage from an empty board, compare with another 10 mana spell, Pyroblast, that does 10 damage and is a one and done.

In fairness, Anyfin actually is a Pally class card (which is a bit weird, I think), so they would all have to be Paladins.

Anyway, I haven't been playing Paladin much since I made mine golden, especially as I refuse to make a Secret Pally, but I got a quest the other day. Made myself a midrange Anyfin deck, and it is fucking hilarious. I always love me some Murloc action, and adding a card that is their version of the Druid FON combo was a bizarre choice (especially for Paladin), but is very amusing.

It is a strong deck too, though for various reasons not as strong or consistent as the Christmas tree Pally*. You do need to have played the right minions (so are quite dependant on card draw), have the right board state, etc, but having one 10-cost card does make it easier to set up than most OTK decks.

* I went from rank 13 to 8 with it, then back to 10 before I switched back to Priest. I think it's a good deck, not as dangerous but potentially as annoying as FON Druid and Patron Warrior. At least it's over quicker is you get to that stage...

Rotation had to come sooner or later. Many popular CCGs do it. It means the game is still attractive to new players who would otherwise be put off by an ever-increasing card pool, and it forces active players to remain invested in new cards in order to play in the standard format. Both are obviously plusses for the publisher.

It's rarely a popular announcement to have to make, and Blizzard have done better than some with how they've broken the news, but anyone who had played a collectible card game before must have known this was coming.