IGNORED

Hearthstone

Hexx

This is brilliant news. Way more excited about this than I would be a new expansion. The power creep was becoming ridiculous in ranked format and they had to do something about it. I was hoping they would do a big rebalance of all the OP cards, but not only are they doing that, they are just flat out removing Naxx and GvG to start with. Just think of all the bullshit over valued cards that you won't have to play against anymore. Velen's Chosen, Nerubian Egg, Shade of Naxxramass, Haunted Creeper, Imp-losion, Mad Scientist, Loatheb, Muster for Battle, Shielded Minibot, Zombie Chow, Death's Bite, Sludge Belcher. And of course, the two worst cards in Hearthstone, Piloted Shredder and Dr. Boom. Every card in that list has caused a rapid increase in my salt levels more than once, so never having to face any of them in constructed again is a blessed relief.

Even more exciting, is the mooted rebalance of basic and classic cards. It seems that the highly interactive and fun Druid combo might well be gone forever. Removing that alone would completely shake up the meta, regardless of all the other changes. Combine them all and I don't think anybody will be able to predict what the meta will be liked in a couple of months time. I know a lot of people in this thread complain about playing against the same netdecks over and over, and not being able to experiment with deckbuilding themselves. Well, your chance to build that crazy inspire deck or beast druid or revive shaman is coming. It's hard to plan ahead without knowing what changes they will make to the basic/classic sets, but I'm already looking through my collection at cards I never play in ranked but look like loads of fun and thinking about whether I can actually put them in a deck now.

A great announcement for people like me who love playing the game but are seriously bored with playing against the same decks, and the same cards, over and over again.

Yeah this is basically exactly how Magic did it - after a few years there was a split into "Type 1" and "Type 2" where Type 1 was everything and Type 2 was the last three sets, then they got renamed to Vintage and Standard with Modern an in-between format.

Basically everything moves fast enough in Standard that you get an ever-changing meta, but you also need to keep paying to keep up with it (less so in Hearthstone where time gets you cards), if you don't like that you can build a collection for one of the longer lasting formats, although that's usually at the cost of er... cost. No idea how Hearthstone will handle card availability for older formats, but I mostly play Standard.

This might get me to come back tbh.

Almost every wanker deck in the game obliterated in one fell swoop. It gives me a warm glow. I'll take the loss of Death's Bite for that.

Mind you says a lot about just how unbalanced the Naxramas cards were that not only are they not included in standard you can't even buy it to play single player anymore.

I'd say overall it's good, although I feel a bit salty about some of the cards I've wasted dust on.

The ladder was becoming increasingly toxic and there's something wrong at the core of a competitive game when most of the time your best strategy is playing a deck where you just barf minions like missiles at your opponents without any thought.

Well my warrior deck loses some good cards, as does my priest but i think they can be replaced.

My mage deck does badly with portal, mad scientist, kezan mystic all biting the dust

I'll miss the belcher.

Boom and malganis are the only really great GVG legendaries, i have a soft spot for voljin,

everyone loves Shredders, right

But on the plus side it ruins combo druid, mech mage and lots of paladin decks. I can't tell you how much I loathe shielded minibot. And auto-healbot gets it too.

Crackle makes face shaman weaker.

and it's only a year until mysterious challenger fucks off

am interested to see how they balance the older cards

Are people going to be dusting a lot of gvg and naxx cards then? or keeping them to play wild?

I also think this is a really good thing.

Interesting final question about dusting too.

Thing is, things like zombie chow, minibot and muster enable a lot of decks and for Paladin to be viable at all. All the anti aggro tools will now need to be replaced every year in interesting new ways which gives Blizzard a big (and interesting) challenge...

Uzi: Paladin without minibot/muster isn't really viable at all. Will be interesting how they fix that.

This is perfectly timed for me - I've got a bit lazy recently, just bumming along with decks I built ages ago. Next week I will have some time to do some serious thinking and invest my dust in some much needed crafting. If I'd done that last week I'd probably have at least 2 redundant legendaries to show for it.

I would advise people not to start crafting or disenchanting legendaries from any of the sets just yet. Nobody knows when the format change will happen, could be in a month, could be in 3, so Boom is still Boom until that point. Also, when the new format is released, it will be along with an entirely new expansion. Given the cards that are being removed, you can bet there's going to be some crazy cards being released to replace what has been lost.

They're going to have to be very careful about this.

A lot of focus has gone into what high-profile cards will go, especially those most synonymous with certain decks, but there are also a lot of other decks getting their hearts (or at least some key components) ripped out. A lot of fairly anonymous low-cost minions, taunts and AoE that made certain classes/decks viable are going to (at least partially) disappear.

One particular worry I had almost immediately was that if the coming sets aren't very good/balanced in some areas then a lot of the original archetypes will come back strong, and then potentially stay back. This might potentially be good news for Shamen, Control Warriors and (gulp) Face Hunters, but if they're not very careful then we'll be going back to Priests and Paladins being pretty terrible. Rogue isn't exactly in a good place right now, but that's arguably losing it's most reliable deck too.

I'm a bit torn, frankly. For every card that I think maybe needed to go we'll be losing a bunch that I'll be sorry to see the back of, and a lot of hours (and, in some cases, real money) will have gone into a lot of collections out there. If 'Wild' is at all marginalised (and I think it's a pretty reasonable assumption that it will be at some point) then I think that's a bit of a shame. I like that it's getting a shake-up, but I'm not entirely sold on 'The Plan' just yet.

Ladder has been horrible with pretty much every mid range or control deck I've ran. Everytime I lost patience and changed to another deck that I thought would counter the meta more and then I ran into the direct counter for my decks. I can't do it anymore. Standard is around the corner - so I've gone to the dark side. I made a secret paladin deck. It is fucking hilarious how easy it is to rank up with it. Not only is it just plain broken, but it requires no thought at all to drive it. 

I'm part of the problem now. Full on self loathebing here (aaaayyy lmao)

God damned mother fucking Priests. :(

EDIT: So after just losing to everyone at every game, I decided to check out Hearthpwn and try and create a decent Shaman deck. Not having paid for any content at all has left me with a handful of cards and basically no crafting dust, meaning I was completely unable to replicate the top deck, being over 4000 short.

I studied the deck, looked at the suggested cards and built a gypsy version of it with my cheap-ass card set and, you know what, it has been working out for me, having won five games in a row. I think my issue is that I have been relying on too many of the same cards, regardless of class and not playing to the respective deck strengths. I crafted a couple of Lava Burst (IIRC, the one which unlocks Overload crystals), crafted some Tunnel Troggs, have gone super-heavy on overload cards, Totem buffs and have been controlling my recent matches, having reached  3* at Rank 19 for the first time, having never won enough to get past rank 20 in previous seasons.

I have 700 gold which I was going to put toward a wing in the SP Naxx campaign, but in light of the recent announcements, I think it'd be better invested in Classic Card packs. 

I get what all the fuss is about now. This is the TGC equivalent of Monster Hunter.

I've been playing this for a couple of months now. I still can't get past rank 20.

I should point out that I'm not paying for anything and I'm not consulting any guides to make an easy-win deck. I also play a lot at 6am before work, which is a time-slot which only ever seems to attract veteran players who haven't ranked up yet. Nevertheless, despite having what I think is a solid base and a few decent cards from grinding out some solo adventure wings, I just can't push forward.

It's pretty easy to tell when I'm going to lose, too. Any player who has a card back that isn't your basic one means I'm going to lose 90% of the time to the point where I can't even see any way I could have done anything different. When I start a game and it's a Priest who plays a Northshire Cleric and then instantly tries to heal it, I'm relieved as that was me two months ago and I know that's an easy win.

It's not entirely satisfactory, though. There aren't many games where my deck is on an even level with my opponents, and I gather Blizzard wouldn't want that. So, yeah, I'm looking forward to the new mode, where I have a chance to rank up. Or at least, when I've done grinding the new expansion set, which hopefully shouldn't take too long. I'll miss Grim Patron, though, as that's a fun card to play when it works (which is not very often for me).

On 2 February 2016 at 8:05 PM, Pixelbark said:

Erm, guys. Go read hearthpwn...

An end to Dr 7, death lord, zombie chow, sludge belcher, amongst MANY others.

So, where were you when hearthstone truly became buy to win?

Perhaps an end to these particular cards, but the attack/health slot and other abilities will be available to new card issues.