IGNORED

Hearthstone

Hexx

Does it kill Secret Paladin though? Is it worth putting in your deck just for SP? I'm not convinced. The problem with hard countering SP is that a) SP doesn't lose tempo even if you destroy all its secrets, because a 6-6 for 6 is still pretty decent tempo considering the cost you pay for destroying the secrets, and b) it's other powerful cards (Minibot, Muster, Shredder, etc) carry it such a long way on their own. Not to mention this card creates a big minion, something that Paladins have no trouble dealing with at all.

Presumably they've tested it though, and it does :).

Edit: It also dies to BGH if it eats 5 secrets.

25 minutes ago, John0 said:

Does it kill Secret Paladin though? Is it worth putting in your deck just for SP? I'm not convinced. Presumably they've tested it though, and it does :).

It's slightly underwhelming, but it's certainly too early to call it bad*. For starters, we don't know what secrets will be in the new expansion, or even if we'll get some for other classes - it still seems odd to me in many ways that Paladins have them but not Rogues.

While it's got terrible stats for the cost if not buffed**, it's also actually a better body versus aggro than Kezan Mystic, in that it's stickier and should trade better against the usual 3/2-ish minions run in Face decks (less true of Shaman, granted), and it'll also presumably be more effective than the Mystic ever was against Midrange Hunters, Tempo Mages, Freeze Mages, or anything else that runs multiple secrets.

It's very much a tech card, just like Harrison, BGH, etc, but I can see people running at least one at various points (in both Standard and Wild) depending on how the meta shakes out.

* - unless you're playing against Priest, in which case it's likely to be pretty awful - battlecry is worthless, and then 'Let me change your mind...'

** - I initially thought it'd be better if it were 3-mana, but I suppose it'd potentially be a bit OP then. Also, you have to factor in that there's going to normally be a tempo swing just in destroying a secret (now Scientist is gone), so there's that in it's favour too.

Yeah, fair points, it does seem better than Kezan vs aggro, and possibly vs Freeze Mage as well. Those other tech cards you mention though, Harrison's upside is reeeally powerful, way more powerful than this. And BGH has the same number of stats overall as Secret Eater but for one mana less, and it results in a huge tempo swing and is less situational. There are tech cards with better upsides and stat distributions per mana that still don't see play (Blood Knight, for example).

Vs 1 secret, this will be better in some situations than Kezan, but not in others. Getting a free Freezing Trap or Mirror Entity / Effigy is probably better than the 1-1 buff, despite the opponent knowing what it is. And I'm still really not convinced this means that Secret Paladin won't be strong in Wild.

But we've only seen a few new cards and there'll probably be quite a few nerfs to existing cards as well, so probably too early to jump to conclusions.

Part of the reason MC is ridiculous is because it's not uncommon for him to draw and play up to five cards, which is easily a 6-mana feat before you consider the 6/6 body. Because of cards like MC, Mad Scientist, and Kirin Tor Mage, Sorcerer's Apprentice, etc. secrets more often than not have a value less than their printed cost, but you've got to consider that consumed value in Eater of Secret's worth, on top of his stats. Yes, it'll get you only 1 secret on average once Secrets Paladin is no longer a thing, but I think it's a more valuable tech card than some are giving it credit for.

Still a tech card though.

14 minutes ago, revlob said:

Part of the reason MC is ridiculous is because it's not uncommon for him to draw and play up to five cards, which is easily a 6-mana feat before you consider the 6/6 body. Because of cards like MC, Mad Scientist, and Kirin Tor Mage, Sorcerer's Apprentice, etc. secrets more often than not have a value of less than their printed cost, but you've got to consider that consumed value in Eater of Secret's worth, on top of his stats. Yes, it'll get you only 1 secret on average once Secrets Paladin is no longer a thing, but I think it's a more valuable tech card than some are giving it credit for.

Still a tech card though.

I'm thinking of it in the context of Scientist and MC. So you'd usually only be taking away secrets that the other person played basically for free. Which means less of a tempo swing from destroying then that the actual mana cost of all the cards you destroy. But agree because those cards won't be in standard, EoS can't be *too* powerful, because it won't be nearly as easy to get secrets into play for free (presumably). So it's perhaps balanced for standard, but may well be (imho) underpowered in wild.

Not quite sure how Blizzard are going to manage balancing cards/classes for 3 modes now. Having just Arena and Ranked seemed hard enough.

9 hours ago, John0 said:

But, Mysterious Challenger won't be in Standard, right? 

It was a TGT card, no? So in standard for the first year - and this is as good a counter to MC as I could imagine without tipping the balance too far the other way. You'll zap all the secrets and end up with a minion bigger than MC for 2 mana less than it cost than MC itself cost. Well designed card, I think. 

It's based on "years".

From: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/19995505/a-new-way-to-play-2-2-2016

You’ll play Standard using a deck built solely from a pool of cards that were released in the current and previous calendar year, along with a core foundation of the Basic and Classic card sets (which will always be valid for Standard).

Curse of Naxxramas and Goblins vs Gnomes will not be part of Standard. When we release the first new Expansion each year, every set that wasn’t released in the same year or the year prior will cycle out and no longer be part of the Standard format.

Recorded the last few matches of an arena run last night. If you like roping to the sound of deep sighing then this is definitely for you!

Mulliganning away 3s so much was probably a little too risky, considering how few I had of them. As I said I haven't played much recently, so secrets were more challenging than they should be, but I think I still did stuff in the right order. For the Paladin loss.. I maybe should have played the Chugger first? And for the Druid loss, maybe I went face a bit too much?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 2 weeks later...

Another Old God card has been revealed - N'zoth.  N'zoth is one of the 4 named in game old gods of WoW, which makes me think we'll get at least the other 2.  It also looks like a card you'd want to build your deck around, similar to C'thun.  He's a 5/7 for 10 mana, which is terrible, but holy shit does he have a powerful upside.  His battlecry summons any of your minions with deathrattle that died during the game back onto the board.  So obviously your going to build your deck around deathrattle minions with a view to filling your board on turn 10 onwards.

That said, standard will get rid of a lot of the powerful deathrattle minions like shredders and belchers, but it's still super powerful to get a second Tirion or Sylvanas out, and no doubt there'll be some more deathrattle minions to come.  In Wild though, it could be insane - potentially on turn ten a pally could trade all their minions, then play N'zoth, Tirion, Sylvanas, Sneeds shredder, 2 Beltchers and a shredder for 10 mana.  Yes, that's not going to happen often, but even part of that happening is tremendous value

I kind of like that thematically so far both old gods revealed are essentially based around building up to powering up their summon to the board.  It suits the theme of the gods, with them being super powerful, but they've been locked away and weakened, and you have to do stuff to make them powerful again.  Im hoping they'll at least do Yog'saron and Y'shaarj and have something similar, where they have powerful effects on summon that require you to build your deck to support.  It's also interesting to me as someone who likes the in game lore about the old gods and the Titans, this gives us the first official picture of N'zoth.  He's only been spoken about before, and we've seen some of his minions, but nothing of the God himself, unlike the others that are in the game that have been revealed so far.

• 3 weeks later...

You ever have a match where you're like "how the fuck did I end up winning that?"  I just played a Druid in arena.  On TURN TWO he double innervates into a boulderfist ogre.  Not long after that, he plays Elisa Starseeker (if that's her name, I forget - Golden Monkey lady).  Not long after that they play fucking Ragnaros.  I manage to start getting control of the board, he top decks an Ironbark Protector.  Their deck seemed pretty crazy - 2 legendaries and they always had something decent to drop each turn.

That said, it seemed RNG-sus was on my side.  They had an ogre turn 2, then shattered sun clericed it on three - which meant turn 4 I could BGH it, which I handily top decked.  I managed to get a Belcher from an unstable portal just at a time when the board was swinging back to me and they were out of cards so they lost tempo completely.  A scorcer allowed me to find removal for Rag.  Realistically, if even one of those hadn't happened, I'm sure I'd have lost.  The deck I had was ok, but I'm sure would have lost to that deck most of the time without all that luck.

Im pretty sure that match holds the record for me muttering "are you fucking kidding me" to myself while playing though.

I've still not been past lvl8.

For the past few seasons I've just been pissing about and not really trying to rank up as I'm just really bored of the Druid / paladin hegemony. Come on new cards / nerfs. 

This is season I have added 60 wins to my warrior playing an appalling aggro deck of my own making which only wins about half of the time but either way the games are decided by turn 7. 20 wins to go until golden warrior. 

It' got me as high as 14 but also back down to 19! 

6 hours ago, The Grand Pursuivant said:

That sounds like every Arena game I play past 5-6 wins!

@shirubagan What deck are you using? Can you post your decklist?

Umm, if you're not taking the mick, it's a Shaman deck. NB: I haven't spent any money on this game ever so all cards are cheap!

Edit: I only have 2 X Bloodlust cards, obviously. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Is it supposed to be aggro? Or more mid range? Shaman is tricky as its just not a good class. There's a couple of good decks that can work but in the current meta you really want to be running a full aggro face deck if you want to climb the ladder. 

I would certainly run 2 fire elementals if you can as that's a great card. You don't need 2 bloodlust as you'll only play it once to win but then having 2 increases your chances of drawing it. 

Other than that I would say choose between overload or windfury. You don't have enough overload cards to make unbound elemental worth running but only one windspeaker. Take him out and put in another wolves maybe? 

If you're really keen on shaman then craft some totem golem. Arguably the classes best cheap minion. 3/4 for 2 I think 

6 hours ago, And said:

I've still not been past lvl8.

For the past few seasons I've just been pissing about and not really trying to rank up as I'm just really bored of the Druid / paladin hegemony. Come on new cards / nerfs. 

This is season I have added 60 wins to my warrior playing an appalling aggro deck of my own making which only wins about half of the time but either way the games are decided by turn 7. 20 wins to go until golden warrior. 

It' got me as high as 14 but also back down to 19! 

High five, got my golden Warrior this week after a long, long time playing control. 

Was playing an asshole Druid earlier (good god the ladder is full of these at the moment). Emoting after every move the cock. I was playing Mage and doing my best to keep up with ramping and remove minions as he whittled me down, but couldn't always keep up so he had Thaurassian out for a decent while. Even though I managed to keep my health relatively high despite his constant chipping, eventually he had four cards left - here it comes I thought - 'I'm sorry' - Force of Nature, Force of Nature, Savage Roar, Savage Roar...

...oops I had an ice block, still I'm only on 2 health. Good thing I kept that Reno back though. He's top decking now and suddenly not so keen to spam emotes, takes out my Reno. Duplicate. Cheers mate for two more of them. He conceded so fast I didn't even have to time to tap 'I'm sorry'.

As bad as Hearthstone is for my blood pressure, moments like this are why I keep coming back.

I played a bit of aggro shaman recently to clear some quests and honestly I found it quite fun.  The deck I used was pretty much as below;

1x Earth Shock

2x Lightning Bolt

2x Rockbiter Weapon

2x Tunnel Trogg LoE

2x Ancestral Knowledge TGT

2x Crackle GvG

2x Lava Shock BrM

2x Totem Golem TGT

2x Feral Spirit

2x Lava Burst

2x Doomhammer

2x Abusive Sergeant

2x Leper Gnome

1x Sir Finley Mrrgglton LoE

2x Flame Juggler TGT

2x Argent Horserider TGT

Which is fairly standard, though I run 2 earth shocks as I find them really useful.  I only played a couple of hand locks but being able to take out their twighlight drakes completely is amazing for 1 mana (the silence applies first, then the damage, so it turns is to a 4/1 then deals 1 damage to kill it).  Cant remember what I replaced it with though.  I'm pretty sure I dont play flame jugglers either.  I think I have flameshock totems instead.

shirubagan, if you dont mind me throwing a few suggestions your way, there's a few cards that even if you arent going full aggro I'd consider adding to your deck.  If you're playing 2 Troggs, I'd add Ancestral Knowledge for your card draw.  The overload seems harsh, but playing a trogg (or 2) then AK essentially turns it into "add 2 damage per trogg" and allows for some decent early game burst - I've had lucky draws where turn 1 I played 2 troggs (with coin, ovb), turn 2 Ancestral Knowledged to end up with 2 3/3s and 2 cards drawn.

You dont have lightning bolts or crackles in either (unless I'm blind!) and lightning bolt especially is super efficient early game removal, and can be decent face damage later on.  That 3 damage can let you take out some of the more annoying early game turn 2 plays, like northshire clerics or acolytes.  For that reason as well I'd suggest removing the stormforged axes for one of them.  While the axe nets more overall damage for the mana, the difference between dealing 2 and dealing 3 damage can be denying them a card draw, or not having to throw your minion at something as well, keeping something of yours on the board.

If you did go full aggro, you definitely want 2 doomhammers.  Both so you draw into them quicker and because you will have games where doomhammer damage will pretty much win the game for you.  In fact, unless you dont have anything for a turn 1 play, you really want to keep a doomhammer in your opening hand, especially if you have the coin.  You also want to make sure you understand how Lava Shock works, so you can get the most out of unlocking your overload.

I enjoy it, even though I know most people hate aggro decks.  While you go face most of the time, it feels like theres a bit more to think about with overload being an element of your deck that can work for you or against you.

54 minutes ago, revlob said:

High five, got my golden Warrior this week after a long, long time playing control. 

Well played.

I've 15 wins to go. 

400 odd wins of control warrior in this meta, I want a flipping platinum avatar! Though it'll be 80 wins of aggro to even it out.

50 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

Thanks for the tip @And - I'll tweak my deck and let you know how I get on :)

Good luck. As clooney says - double doomhammer. 

I dnt don't think aggro is the problem, more that stupid, unoriginal net deck aggro is boring. 

@George Clooney Thank you for taking time out of your busy Hollywood schedule to offer advice on my Hearthstone deck - what a legend! I'll see which cards I already own to try and match your suggested deck also. Those extra 9 deck slots are  a great addition to the game. 

I do have 2x Lightning Storms in my deck. Must have not screen grabbed the list in it's entirety. 

I made a couple of changes based on the advice @and gave me yesterday and have had five unranked wins in a row. Got rid of a Bloodlust, added a Totem Golem and swapped out another few cards. I'll post the changes later. I'll see how it fares in Ranked soon. 

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help. I'm pretty clueless still.