IGNORED

Hearthstone

Hexx

One thing is to just not worry about losing. It really doesn't matter. I have a friend who uses a deck and game tracker and as a result gets really anxious about his win rates and not losing stars, so he has never gets higher then about rank 15 as he just gets too worried about dropping down. 

I'd just focus on getting 2 or 3 decent cheap decks together, and then using those to nail your dailies, whether in ranked or casual and just practice those decks, but remember it's supposed to be fun.

Everything will change in a couple of weeks when the new expansion lands and wild vs standard launches. Those first couple of weeks after an expansion are great, seeing all the crazy stuff people come up with, but before whatever the new cancer is is established. 

I've over 5300 gold and 2000 dust saved up so far for launch.

I'm not worried about losing, I've just had an *incredibly* frustrating four months of getting to Rank 18*** and then losing everything until I'm back to 20 with zero stars :lol:  I really enjoy playing as Shaman – the satisfaction of getting Bloodlust and *murdering* an opponent is second to none. I also have 2000G saved up for the new cards and hope I can score some lucky wins in the early days of confusion, before the broken, OP decks appear.

Tweaked Shaman. I'm out of dust now and think that I may swap out a Leper Gnome for Lightning Bolt and a Stormforged Axe for a Flametongue Totem.

Forked Lightning

Rock biter Axe

Abusive Sergeant

2 x Leper Gnome

2 x Tunnel Trogg

2 x Stormforged Axe

2 x Lava Shock

Haunted Creeper

Iron beak Owl

Totem Golem

2 x Feral Spirit

Hex

Lava Burst

2 x Lightning Storm

Mana Tide Totem

Tuskarr Totemic

2 x Unbound Elemental

Windspeaker

Doom hammer (I can't afford a second one)

Bloodlust

Emperor Thaurissan

2 x Fire Elemental

Are you getting any value out of the mana tide totem and emperor t? Do they help? It's a pretty low cost deck so would you not be better off with an acolyte of pain and loatheb or a.n. Other 5 or 6 drop?

Great post, I might just start PM'ing you my decks so you can tear them down for me.

My recent foray into face smashing as warrior got me this deck :

1 Upgrade

1 Leper gnome x2

1 Finley

1 worgen infiltrator

2 fiery win axe x2

2 heroic strike x2

2 bluegill x2

2 ironbeak owl x2

3 bash 

3 arcane golem x2

3 argent horserider x2

3 wolfrider x2

4 death's bite x2

4 mortal strike 

4 axe flinger

4 kokron elite x2

4 dread corsair x2

5 arcanite reaper x2

5 leeeeeeeeeeeerrrrroooooyyyyy jeeeeeeeeeenkiiiiiiinnnnsss!!!

The logic being that you always want a weapon and can drop cheap chargers each go. that bit is kind of self explanatory.

Worgen is an extra one drop,  

Bash and mortal strike are interchangeable, could easily have 2 of each, both are mainly extra face punching when taunts appear near the end game.

upgrade prolongs weapons but isn't the end of the world if you don't draw it, not sure you'd want 2,

Owl kills taunts, leper and axe flinger allow face damage by trading, corsairs are effectively free as you always want a weapon. Finley gives you hunter power, failing that Druid or Mage will do

Plan is play to curve, always hit face, with a few exceptions, win or lose by turn 7 most games.

If you see Reno you concede.

So it's not the most reliable deck, if you draw a nice mulligan and can get curve it works, taunts can fuck you up, hardest matchup is priest and control warrior. Probably not going to do well on ladder but for grinding out quick games it's really good. 

4 wins to golden warrior and then i'll probably start on warlock. 

You probably don't need it now, but I started using a Dragon-synergy Warrior deck the other day that works pretty well. I'm just trying to remember what the hell's in it.

I think it's:

2 x Abusive Sergeant

2 x Leper Gnome

1 x Sir Finley

2 x Southsea Dickhead

2 x Faerie Dragon

2 x Fiery Win Axe

2 x Heroic Strike

1 x Ironbeak Owl

2 x Whatever that Warrior 2-drop that synergises with Dragons is called.

2 x Argent Horserider

2 x Bash

2 x Death's Bite

2 x Kokron Elite

2 x Mortal Strike

2 x Arcanite Reaper

2 x Azure Drake

I've barely played this month, but I had a 5 Warrior win quest and couldn't be bothered with Control Warrior (which is unusual for me), and this has worked well enough that I've carried on playing it at other times just to get my rank/Warrior win count* up, and I've had a few win streaks up to about 13.

* - if Shaman, Warrior and Druid are treated even relatively well in the new expansion and I decide to go for it's relatively plausible that I could end this year with eight gold heroes, but still probably still have under 150 (or tops 200) wins with Rogue unless there's a minor miracle. I love Rogue, but find it an exercise in frustration a lot of the time, so I leave it alone for the most part unless there's a quest involved.

I've built more dragon warrior decks than I care to think about. None of them work! 

My control warrior decks don't seem to get much traction lately. Either dr6 or Druid turn 9 fucks them up. 

If if its any consolation I have about 20 rogue wins

4 hours ago, JDubYes said:

You probably don't need it now, but I started using a Dragon-synergy Warrior deck the other day that works pretty well. I'm just trying to remember what the hell's in it.

I think it's:

2 x Abusive Sergeant

2 x Leper Gnome

1 x Sir Finley

2 x Southsea Dickhead

2 x Faerie Dragon

2 x Fiery Win Axe

2 x Heroic Strike

1 x Ironbeak Owl

2 x Whatever that Warrior 2-drop that synergises with Dragons is called.

2 x Argent Horserider

2 x Bash

2 x Death's Bite

2 x Kokron Elite

2 x Mortal Strike

2 x Arcanite Reaper

2 x Azure Drake

I have been playing something very similar. It occasionally loses to itself by drawing all its weapons but is crucially slightly bigger than the face Hunter decks.

47 minutes ago, Uzi Temp said:

Same happens to me on the Android version. I probably lose a good chunk of my ranked games due to discons

That's just karma for you innervating out turn 2 Dr boom. 

I've realised that for me, the joy of Hearthstone is when losing is fun. Almost wet myself on the bus home tonight playing Murloc Paladin against Freeze Mage running Reno, Ragnaros & Sylvanas. That moment when you realise that it's down to 50% RNG and 50% deck design makes it all worthwhile. I lost,obviously.

I've made some tweaks to my deck, sold some Gold cards from classes I don't use and crafted a few new cards. Still not amazing, but a definite improvement. Moving towards the Aggro Shaman side. I really need to save up enough dust for a second Doomhammer :)

It's getting good results in Unranked, though I'm yet to try it out in Ranked as it still needs a few more tweaks. Not sure the Tuskarr will be of much use apart from helping fill the board, I'm yet to draw an Unbound Elemental after half a dozen games, though I suspect I'll swap it out as per TGP's suggestions.

The game finally monetised me through the WWF Apps for Earth (I though it was a good idea, though I don't often use Mage) and I'm *really* tempted to preorder WotOG now... 

Deck...

Shiru's Shonky Aggro Shaman Gypsy Deck

Unranked: W12-4L

Ranked: N/A

Forked Lightning

Lightning Bolt x 2

Rock biter Weapon x 2

Abusive Sergeant

Leper Gnome  x 2

Sir Finley Mrrggleton

Tunnel Trogg x 2

Crackle

Lava Shock

Flame tongue Totem x 2

Master Sword smith

Bloodfen Raptor

Totem Golem

Feral Spirit x 2

Lava Burst x 2

Lightning Storm x 2

Arcane Golem

Argent Horserider

Tuskarr Totemic (temporary)

Unbound Elemental (temporary)

Haunted Creeper

Defender of Argus (temporary)

Doomhammer

Bloodlust (temporary)

Much better, but still needs a few tweaks.

Take out Forked Lightning, add an abusive seargant. Take out Unbound Elemental and Master Swordsmith and replace them with 2 Flame Jugglers. Replace defender of argus with a totem golem. Take out Tuskarr and Bloodlust and replace them with 2 Wolfriders. That'll massively improve your deck and only cost you 160 dust if you don't have them.

You should maybe consider running an earthshock as well, but that's up to what the meta is like and how many taunts you find yourself facing. You could put that in instead of any of the cards I've recommended here.

MS and UE out, Haunted Creeper and Bloodfen Raptor in. 

Is anyone having more crash and disconnect issues than usual on the iPhone version? The app crashed to springboard and I was instantly disconnected from four games in a row this morning and none were able to reconnect. Thankfully it was unranked play but I'm very wary about playing a ranked game on iOS for a while. 

Nope, mine's been fine, same on ipad. 

After getting my golden warrior I was a bit lost, lacking direction. But have decided to grind hunter, as I had around 350 wins from the glory days of huntertaker, before the class was sullied by the despicable face-huntards.

So I've built a beast deck and it's actually winning games, and it's fun. Especially dropping flare on turn 7 against secret pally. Joy.

Though a lot of the cards in this deck will rotate out come the change - do wins in wild count as ranked wins towards portraits? 

@The Grand Pursuivant could you give us some self-help tips? I dont' want to post my deck in here and have you tune it, I want to learn the underlying relationships with cards and the type of deck.

Is there a good guide or good site you would recommend for reading? I've been clicking around a few but although I think I understand the deck meta, I don't really know why a particular card is better for it than others.

For instance, one of the previously popular approaches was freeze mage. I believe this means that you control not by clearing minions, but by rendering them ineffective and clearing when you can. So I want a Flamestrike, and lots of freeze spells. What I don't understand is how to choose low cost minions. I had tried going for fast minions, with charge, so that I can react to the frozen board and do damage, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Help?

Freeze mage is about controlling and stalling whilst you draw through your deck, assembling the pieces required for a one or two turn kill off the back of Alextrasza. You really need Alexstrasza, Archmage Antoniadas and perhaps Pyroblast to make it work.

It's not about doing any damage at all to them until you can Alex them to 15 (usually).

It's also one of the harder decks to play well since simple tempo or value plays don't work. If you're not sure what tempo and value are in the context of Hearthstone I suggest you start by reading up on them. Having said all that, as TGP said, don't expect to ever be wildly successful building your own deck (from scratch) because the meta is based on honed and tested decks built by the Hearthstone pros. If you really want to enjoy a 'constructed' deck meta, Arena is probably a better choice.

Here's a reasonable modern guide to a Freeze deck I just googled:

http://hearthstone.metabomb.net/deck-guides/freeze-mage-wild-deck-listguide-hearthstone-april-2016

Thanks Jimbo. Looks like I don't have cards for that one. I get tempo and value; if even at lower levels you need to be copying the pro decks then I wonder if this game is for me at all? Arena does indeed sound much better and I do play it when I can afford it.

What he said ; )

When I said 'pros', I was just using it loosely to refer to folks who play all the time and publish decks on Hearthpwn etc. Having said that, the actual pros all get to legend fast every season and always publish their many ladder decks too so I don't think it was that misleading. Also tournament meta decks do just fine on ladder usually, a few tech choices excepted.

Basically, just read this every week:

https://tempostorm.com/hearthstone/meta-snapshot/meta-snapshot-52-old-meta-new-decks

It's  report published by Tempo Storm (the esports team) that discusses what decks are strongest on the ladder each week - 'the meta'

15 hours ago, Robbo said:

Thanks Jimbo. Looks like I don't have cards for that one. I get tempo and value; if even at lower levels you need to be copying the pro decks then I wonder if this game is for me at all? Arena does indeed sound much better and I do play it when I can afford it.

You don't have to copy decks to play at low levels, you just need to get comfortable with knowing that even at rank 20-15 you'll predominantly see secret paladin, combo druid, mechmage and zoo. And that you can either play these same decks or find a deck you like that counters them. 

I love it when i see something new, I got owned by some dude playing a warrior taunt deck, literally every card that wasn't a weapon was a taunt or taunt buff, it was great, i'll bet it loses a lot but still.  

My hunter deck is crap, it loses a lot, but when it wins it's great fun. Having a season of just grinding with daft decks, where i'm just not bothered about rank, is great, not caring has made the game more fun. 

Great post by the way TGP

Whispers of the Old Gods goes live on the 26th of April, and all the nerfs on existing cards are apparently going to be discussed on a livestream on Thursday.

Thank fuck for that. I'm pretty much just doing quests whilst bored out of my tiny mind (at playing most of the current meta decks) whenever I play at the moment, so the shakeup is very welcome (and long overdue). The fact we're losing the now fairly boring* GvG set and getting a new one that all a bit Eldritch-y is just a bonus, as far as I'm concerned.

It doesn't hurt that I'll be able to open an absurd amount of card packs with all the gold I have saved, either.

* I never really liked the actual designs of most of the GvG cards either, partially because they never sat right with me thematically, so having this funky weird one with the WoW version of the Elder Gods instead is something I'm actually really looking forward to.

NERFS NERFS NERFS!

http://www.hearthpwn.com/

As the Year of the Kraken approaches, the time has come to reveal the results of our Basic and Classic card review. We focused on Basic and Classic cards because those sets will form the foundation of both formats for years to come. It took much careful consideration to arrive here, but we believe that—between our own analysis and reading plenty of community feedback—we’ve identified the right cards to change.

There’s a simple guiding principle that underlies each of the changes you’re about to see: New card releases should have an impact on Standard and enrich Wild, to make sure that Hearthstone is always as dynamic, fresh, and fun as it can be.

Read on for the details!

Druid Cards
The most popular Druid decks are consistently composed of the same big chunk of Druid cards. That puts a damper on deckbuilding creativity and has left the Druids feeling stagnant. We want to inject some life into Druid deckbuilding, so we’re adjusting some of the worst offenders.

It’s important to point out that, in general, we like that Classes in Hearthstone have signature cards that appear in decks frequently, since they help give each Class its identity. We also still think it’s good for some signature Class cards to be in Druid decks, too. For example, Innervate and Wild Growth embody the Druid’s unique strength, so we’ve chosen not to adjust them.

Ancient of Lore
Drawing cards is powerful in Hearthstone, and Ancient of Lore easily found its way into nearly every popular Druid deck. We’d like Druid players to feel that other cards can compete with Ancient of Lore, so we’ve reduced the number of cards drawn from 2 to 1.

Force of Nature
The new version of Force of Nature lowers its mana cost by 1, but removes Charge and makes the summoned Treants permanent—like the other Treants that Druids summon. This change also removes the powerful one-turn combo of Force of Nature and Savage Roar. Now, opponents will have a chance to deal with the threat that the Treants represent, and it won’t feel mandatory to always include thecombo.

Keeper of the Grove
Keeper of the Grove is a strong and versatile minion that combines Silence with solid stats, which made the decision to include it in every Druid deck virtually automatic. Whether or not to introduce a source of Silence to a deck should require some decision making, so Keeper of the Grove shouldn’t be a default choice for all Druid decks. Its stats have been changed from 2/4 to 2/2.  

Silence & Removal
Speaking of Keeper of the Grove, Silence and minion removal are potent effects in Hearthstone. Currently, some removal options are too widely played, are attached to minions with efficient stats, or are simply too powerful. While removal is an important part of Hearthstone, it also makes playing big, exciting minions less rewarding. We are adjusting some of these cards so that the decision to add them to your deck comes with a cost, especially if you don’t end up finding an ideal target for them. These changes should help make cards with high attack or cool effects more interesting too.

Ironbeak Owl
Ironbeak Owl is a staple source for an inexpensive Silence in many decks. In line with our overall goal to make Silence effects more costly, Ironbeak Owl is moving from 2 to 3 mana.

Big Game Hunter
Big Game Hunter represents an inexpensive source of removal that is packaged with a minion. It’s efficient enough that some Heroes with powerful Class-based removal cards choose to run the neutral Big Game Hunter. We’re increasing the cost of the card from 3 mana to 5 mana.

Hunter’s Mark
Hunter’s Mark is an important option for Hunters, but it’s too efficient at 0 mana. We are increasing its cost to 1.

Blade Flurry
Blade Flurry is a problem because it enables both board clear and heavy burst damage, and it’s also an obstacle to adding better cards for Rogues. To address these issues, the cost of Blade Flurry is moving from 2 to 4 mana, and it will now only affect minions, so that Rogues have to choose between removing threats or damaging the enemy Hero.

Powerful Neutral Minions
Strong, widely-played neutral cards can stifle deck-building decisions and homogenize decks. These cards also make it more difficult to create new cards that can compete with them. We’re adjusting these neutral cards so that other cards can become compelling replacements, and open the door for more of a deck’s power to come from its Class identity.

Knife Juggler
Knife Juggler should be a good choice in decks that play many cheap minions, but with 3 Attack, it is played almost universally. We’re reducing Knife Juggler’s Attack from 3 to 2, so this card will move into a more specialized role in the decks that include it, instead of always being among the best choices for a 2 mana-cost minion.

Leper Gnome
Leper Gnome is powerful for its cost, finds its way into almost every aggressive deck, and requires no further deck building decisions to be effective. We’d like other 1 mana minions to be more compelling, so we’re reducing its Attack from 2 to 1.

Arcane Golem
Charge is an ability we’ve learned to use sparingly. Arcane Golem has been a staple in many aggressive and ‘one turn kill’ combo decks, and its drawback is rarely relevant. We’re addressing both issues by removing Charge and increasing Arcane Golem’s Health, while leaving its drawback. Arcane Golem will now be a 3 mana 4/4 with Battlecry: Give your opponent a Mana Crystal.

Molten Giant
Molten Giant is an interesting card, but it’s too easy for players to reduce its mana cost to 0. We’re increasing Molten Giant’s mana cost to 25 to increase the risks players must take to get a free Giant. The changes to Force of Nature and Arcane Golem will make dropping to low health somewhat less risky as well, which helped spur this change.

Master of Disguise
The ability of Master of Disguise to grant permanent Stealth has been a design obstacle for a long time, so we are changing Master of Disguise to only grant Stealth until the next turn. This change opens up exciting options for future cards.

Thanks for reading along as we’ve explored the decisions that have shaped these cards. These changes will arrive as part of Hearthstone Patch 5.0. Then be sure to join us on April 26 for the arrival of Hearthstone’s newest expansion: Whispers of the Old Gods, the introduction of formats, and the beginning of the Year of the Kraken!

8 minutes ago, Uzi Temp said:

NERFS NERFS NERFS!

Force of Nature
The new version of Force of Nature lowers its mana cost by 1, but removes Charge and makes the summoned Treants permanent—like the other Treants that Druids summon. This change also removes the powerful one-turn combo of Force of Nature and Savage Roar. Now, opponents will have a chance to deal with the threat that the Treants represent, and it won’t feel mandatory to always include the combo.