Hearthstone

Hexx

On 09/04/2020 at 18:55, Robbo said:

I only dip in occasionally now, but is there a replacement for Whizbang? That was really my go-to as I don't have the dust to keep up with any meta decks

I was disappointed Whizbang went as well.

However, Zayle, Shadow Cloak is still around: https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Zayle,_Shadow_Cloak

He pretty much does the same thing. You can craft him or get him from the Dalaran Heist.

33 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

I was disappointed Whizbang went as well.

However, Zayle, Shadow Cloak is still around: https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Zayle,_Shadow_Cloak

He pretty much does the same thing. You can craft him or get him from the Dalaran Heist.

The Zayle decks haven’t been updated for a while, so probably aren’t much cop for current play. 

On 10/04/2020 at 18:32, MattKB said:

I’ve got a ton of gold and haven’t bought packs for years. Which should I mostly be focusing on on to get “back in the game”. Bought about 20 dragons and ashes each so far. 

I would have said go for the new class' cards but everything else is building to beat that class & it's not so fun anymore.

Personally I would recommend the super fast Face Hunter. Not many expensive cards. You either win or lose within 5 minutes. https://hsreplay.net/archetypes/355/face-hunter

There are a few more cheap-ish competitive decks currently. A lot of clearance cards are single-target so building a wide board is working.

Most other classes are quite expensive I think. Lots of essential legendaries & epics.

Done with this now. A new expansion and a kicking out of cards usually makes it fun, but this isn't. All I'm seeing is the same gimmicky net decks that require zero thought in order to play them so I'm out. I've never played so many games where I just felt annoyed as in the last 2 weeks.

On 18/01/2020 at 03:37, makkuwata said:

I fell off the wagon. Having played casually yet nightly since beta I somehow drifted away and hadn't played in months.

Loaded it up after dinner on a whim and now the stats are telling me I've played 8 hours of battlegrounds. Oops. I seriously dread the day they surface total play time across all modes. It will literally be counted in years. Battlegrounds are pretty fun though eh? :D

After a run of second or third places I finally managed a comfortable win. But I wasn't even focusing, I was just in a trance. Where did the time go?

mNmgwWt.png

:unsure:

• 2 months later...

New expansion announced - Scholomance Academy.

https://playhearthstone.com/en-gb/expansions-adventures/scholomance-academy/

This is the first time I've been put off by an expansion premise. There have been a few 'meh' ones but this one just feels a little lame to me. The new keyword Spellburst doesn't seem exciting either.

They are doing dual-class cards so that could be fun, but I worry that it will make decks more expensive as there are more legendaries available. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/07/2020 at 14:01, QuackQuack said:

New expansion announced - Scholomance Academy.

https://playhearthstone.com/en-gb/expansions-adventures/scholomance-academy/

This is the first time I've been put off by an expansion premise. There have been a few 'meh' ones but this one just feels a little lame to me. The new keyword Spellburst doesn't seem exciting either.

They are doing dual-class cards so that could be fun, but I worry that it will make decks more expensive as there are more legendaries available. 

I'm the opposite - I think this is actually pretty cool theme wise (I love Scholomances lore in WoW) and Spellburst allows for some interesting possibilities.  At first, you just assume it means that you have to combo out your cards with your spells making it a crappy battlecry variation, but there are some nuances that make it much more interesting to play.  For example, summoning cards with it now have much more value because you get to trigger the spellburst still, rather than losing it like a battlecry would.  Some cards are set up to allow combos like the druid 1/1 that has spellburst:summon another - which also has spellburst.  Meaning if you can chain a few cheap spells like innervates, coins and cheap buffs, you set up a decent board of tokens.  Some of the spellburst effects themselves are cool as well.  Plus, spellburst just fits with the idea of a school of magic as well, I think.

Now they've revealed the card set fully there are definitely some interesting cards there and some interesting possibilities.  I've told myself that I'm not buying into any more expansions as the cost compared to how much I play isnt worth it, but I do find myself tempted.

That said, one thing I've thought about now is just how much I've spent on the game, largely now on sets that I use even less because they've cycled out of standard.  And its a lot, I've probably spent over £300 on hearthstone now I think about it.  While that is over quite a few years, it suprised me that it was that much, so now I think about the expansions in terms of adding to that total and it puts me off a bit.  Might be a weird way to think about it, but on the other hand it is saving me money by putting me off buying this expansion.

• 2 months later...

I hadn't played or thought about this game in months, and then last night I saw a mention of the new expansion featuring the return of the Old Gods.

Just when I thought I was out... actually, I'm still not sure I care. Whispers of the Old Gods was the best (or at least my favourite) this game has ever been though, so if anything can pique my interest again it'll be this.

Yeah new expansion - Madness of the Darkmoon Faire - features the old gods heavily, which isnt actually inconsistent with in game lore, as there have been a load of theories that the Darkmoon Faire has the old gods presence behind it.

All 4 old gods return.

C'thun now has a start of game effect which shuffles 4 spells into your deck, when you draw and cast all 4 you get C'thun, who is a 6/6, battlecry of deal 30 damage spread amongst enemy characters.

Yog Saron has the same stats and mana, but if you've cast 10 spells before playing you "spin the wheel of yogg" which has 6 effects, one of which happens.  One has a lower chance to happen than the rest, which is to spam pyroblasts till 1 player is dead.

N'zoth ressurects a minion for each minion type that you've played (eg, if you've played 3 beasts, 2 murlocs, and 4 mechs, you'll get one of each of those 3 minion types)

Y'shaarj gives you copies of all corrupted cards you've played and makes their mana 0 for that turn.

Corrupted is the new keyword.  If you are holding a card with it on, and play a card with a higher mana cost first (doesnt have to be the same turn, just at all) then you get the added effect. Bit weird as it means potetially playing off curve but some look powerful - like one is a 5 mana 4/4 that turns into an 8/8 with rush, if I remember right.

I think they did well with Scholomance, so it'll be interesting see what they do here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been playing this a bit recently again.  I've not spent any money on additional packs, so I've not got many of the last 2 sets of cards, and I'm seeing what I can do with the dust I had, and anything the reward track gives me.

The reward track feels pretty good to be fair.  I feel like i can get packs pretty quickly, and I sprung the 15 quid or whatever it was for the pass to get the extra bonuses.  Not sure thats really given me that much, but some of the new portraits you get from it are nice.

I'm currently playing a few decks.  I made a token driud deck which is basically my "serious" deck when I am concerned with getting wins.  To be honest, it feels a bit busted sometimes.  You can make crazy buffed boards pretty frequently and it has loads of draw to refuel.  I'm also playing a weapon rogue which I'm having some success with, but is more for fun, as you can make some crazy weapons with the new poisons.

Sometimes I'll make decks just for quests though and they have actually given me some of the highlights since I came back.  I made a battlecry warlock to meet 2 quests, and had a really satisfying win against a demon hunter which I think was some kind of big demon deck which used certain cards to deal loads of damage in one turn, and spent most of its time drawing most of its cards and using lifesteal stuff to stay alive.....which was fine until he cycled through his deck, and I tickatus'd him into fatigue, but then used Alex to heal myself back up after he had pretty much used up all his cards.

The meta has calmed down a bit since the expansion launch as well - it used to be full of paladins, but they've calmed down a bit (though they are still strong).  Overall i think its pretty fun at the moment, though they still have an issue where some decks can produce what feel like really unfair turns.

I've also been playing this a bit recently. Had a bit of fun in the recent ranked season, but when it rotated we were back to the good old days of everything feeling like it was a patch away from being balanced, with Deck of Madness Mage decks turning Ranked into an extremely tedious and samey mess. It's a lot better following the rebalances.

All the additional modes are new to me too - it's been a lot of fun playing Duels and Battlegrounds, though my win rate is... not stellar.

I've also been playing. I'm quite enjoying battlegrounds just because I feel I don't have the cards to get anywhere in Standard. Have done a bunch of the solo stuff also - the survival bits get really tricky!

• 2 weeks later...

They added something interesting in the last patch - one of the new achievements asked you to “solve the mysteries of the barrens” to gain a new card back (and it’s a nice card back). There are 4 steps involved and as you can imagine it got solved reasonably quickly but it actually took a fair bit of effort to solve, with lots of groups popping up to collaborate. And to be honest, after seeing the solutions, I’d be surprised if many people could solve it themselves without spending a lot of time on it. I’ll spoil bits in case people want to try and do it in stages so you can have a crack if you really want. One of the 4 I think I might have eventually cracked. The starting point is similar for all 4 parts;

Spoiler

The starting point is the favour text for the mercenary characters cards. 

1. rokarah for warrior

2 scabbs for rogue

3 guff for Druid 

4 mctavish for hunter

The flavor text will hint at cards for that class, and you have to play those cards in a game in practice mode, and end your turn. Doing so will give you a unique spell that playing triggers a puzzle that you have to solve.

out of the 4 listed in the spoilers, I’ve done the first which seems the easiest. Details for that below

Spoiler

So Rokarah (pretty sure I’m spelling her name wrong) has the following flavor text “tread carefully, stand tall and stand together! For strength, and honor!”. So the cards you need are Minefield (treading carefully), Bulk Up (Stand tall), In Formation (standing together), Feat of Strength (strength) and Shield of Honour (honour). You need to make sure you have space in your hand after, and a minion damaged on the field to play shield of honour. Play them all in that order on the same turn (I think this is the only one you need to do that for) and end the turn.

you get the spell to start the puzzle which takes place on the same board but empties one side, but fills your side with 3 quillboars, 3 orcs and a caravan. You need to move all the characters to the opponents side using the caravan and you can take up to 2 at a time, but if there are more quillboars than orcs, they attack the orcs and kill them and reset the game. It’s not that hard - move all the quillboars first, move 1 back (you have to have something move with the caravan) move 2 orcs over, move an orc and quillboar back. Move 2 orcs over, and all the orcs should now have crossed, and you can just move the quillboars.

i can’t remember the specifics for the other parts but they seem to up the difficulty after that.

part 2

Spoiler

The rogue puzzle is some kind of combination lock where you have to hit objects to change numbers to make them all the same. I saw a streamer do it and he basically followed a guide and said he didn’t get what was happening, and that the people who cracked it basically set up a program to work out the patterns for them

part 3

Spoiler

The Druid one replicates a maze. You have 3 minions on the opponent board which represent directions taken on the maze (turning left, moving forward and turning right). A divine shield in the middle one means you can’t move forward (so are facing a wall) what’s more complicated is these have health totals meaning each time you use one, you use one up, and the left one only has 9. This just had loads of people mapping out the maze till the found the exit. Time consuming but and patience testing but not impossible

Part 4

Spoiler

The hunter one seemed by far the worst. The puzzle bit is a giant game of trading, with both sides of the boards having mobs with specific wants and trades. The idea is that you use cards you have as trading items, which give you other items, and you have to get each minion on the board the items they are listed as wanting. It seems super complicated to solve, and YouTuber Regiskillbin spent a good 15 mins doing it with a guide in front of him with all the trades listed. I have no idea how long it took to figure out.

The thing is, while it was cool, I think the puzzles are mostly too hard and the starting points are too vague, so that most people will just do it with a guide.   It’s a shame as to concept is good, and the difficulty did create some unique buzz as people teamed to solve it. But for the average player, it isn’t really that much fun to try and do properly

Playing a bit more last night there are definitely some things that feel kind of like bullshit, and there are times it feels like you queue into people who have nothing but answers to you, while you don’t have answers to them.  It doesn’t help that my decks aren’t that refined as I haven’t bought any packs in a while, while I’m going against gold portrait players with multiple legendaries running net decks.

One paladin managed to coin out the wind fury murloc on turn , buff it next turn, then protect it with divine shields or taunts. I was always just off killing it, but never quite could. 

Then I ran into a warlock and I was doing fine till turn 7 her played the card that gave them a board of 3/3s and I just didn’t have an answer for it. While I was dealing with them he played stuff like Tikatus and Jaraxxus.

I switched to my token druid which is close to the proper version. But queued instantly into a control warrior who had answers every time I got a decent board, then cheated out two of those minions that create 3/3s giving them divine shield in the process. 

The worst though is the classes that seem

to be able to generate endless resources. Mainly priest who spend half their turn generating cards, the other half healing like crazy. There’s nothing more annoying than seeing them then plonk down taunt minions and buffing them to have life steal from a spell they generated randomly which then ends up meaning you don’t actually have lethal next turn and they’re back close to full health.

I still think it’s generally fun, but it feels like the opportunity for bullshit that feels bad is higher than ever, especially for people or don’t have the cards to run the “best” versions of decks

• 2 weeks later...

Still playing, and it’s been a bit better since the patch though still facing a lot of net decking players with golden portraits (which I still don’t have despite playing a lot I thought - close with Hunter though).  Somehow I seem to have been doing better with cobbled together bullshit decks that shouldn’t work, to the point I’ve nearly done all the achievements for going on a winning streak.

First is a rogue deck that shouldn’t work, as it’s a mix of the old watchtower rogue and the poison package. I made it to do the “play 3 Barrens legendaries” quest as I had the watchtower legendary and pulled the rogue legendary that gives you poisons. And I lost one game with it, and was playing things like spell priest and death rattle demon Hunter.  The watchtowers generally did enough of a job disrupting them till I could smack em with an 11+ damage weapon.

Second was a Hunter deck to do the achievement where you get a 10 mana summoned from Primordial Protector, and the only 10 mana spell in my collection is Nagrand Slam, so Hunter it was. And it’s been working really well so far.  It’s mostly the current best hunter deck, but it drops the legendaries (which I don’t have anyway) and some other bits I can’t recall for 2 protectors and 2 nagrand slams.  You have a tonne of early board control and pressure, and then you can start dropping big plays from turn 8.  I played a Y’shaarj lock who Tikatus’d me twice, and still lost out, because turn 8 I protectored out a Deathwing, turn 9 I forgot what it was but it had decent stats, then Nagrand Slammed him twice, and even his Y’shaarj play didn’t outvalue that.

Im not saying that I’ve stumbled on surprise optimal decks - some of these wins have been very dependent on having the right cards at the right time - but it is fun smashing something like spell mage or bullshit paladin with them.

On a slight tangent - if you’re looking to buy one of the “battle ready” decks, then Hunter or Warrior are the best to go for as they more or less are the best versions of what are really good decks.  Warlocks is also decent, as is paladin.  Mage and shaman are ones to avoid, the mage deck isn’t the best mage deck currently but there is talk that spell mage may take another hit and they don’t want to sell a deck that is likely to have that happen. Shaman is just a bit weak in general at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

The mini set arrives next week and for wow nerds the theme is one of the classic wow dungeons located in the barrens - the wailing caverns.  In wow, it’s one of those places that people tend to talk fondly of, but most the stories they tell you about it will likely be of how much that run sucked balls.

Only 4 proper card reveals so far, out of (I think) 34.  3 of those are themed appropriately to to mini set and are class specific “dungoneers”, which are all 3 mana 2/3 minions that draw a spell, and if it’s a specific spell school, it’ll then have another effect.  The sham one draws an elemental if it’s a nature spell, the priest on discounts the drawn spell by 2 if it’s holy, and the mage one summons 2 1/1 elementals that freeze if it’s frost.  Of those, the shaman one seems best as there is a fringe shaman deck it can fit into already, which pretty much makes it an arcane intellect with a 2/3 attached.

The other reveal is Mutanus, one of the bosses from the dungeon, a 7 mana 4/4 murloc that eats a minion in your opponents hand and gains it’s stats as a battle cry.  Potentially that’s nuts, as “eating” the card removes it from your opponents hand totally.  Get lucky and you can get something mega important like a tikatus or an alex.  It’s not even the additional stats, it’s denying them the card too. They can’t even Rez it, it’s just gone.

Nearing the end of the reward track now, on course to get the 100 level reward with plenty of time before the next expansion. I think the next expansion though they need to tone down discover cards and others that generate you more cards randomly.  I swear one mage I played generated every other card they played.  Including 3 Solarians off the studies spell (one of which was generated from a wand thief too).  It’s not so much that they’re super powerful, it’s just frustrating to play against - my hunter deck usually beats mages, and priests depending on how many apotheosis’s they get so they heal like bastards.

That said I did benefit slightly from this playing a priest with my weapon rogue, where I discovered that spell that gives your minion divine shield and copies it, which I used to make a huuuuuge weapon with Krastinov by getting more attacks with him to increase its stats.  Then I managed to get a counter spell, which I played just as he tried a blademaster/apotheosis combo which with the board I had, would have healed him to full while clearing most of it.  I wouldn’t blame him for being salty after that

The cards all feel like OP balls these days. I really don’t find it enjoyable any more, which is a shame. I really used to have fun with this. I’ve got 11,000 gold and 17,500 dust saved up which I’ve no idea how to spend. 

Current battleground stats: 1464hrs played, 1036 wins. Help.

It’s such easy background noise to whatever you’re doing, if you miss a turn you’re not letting anyone down. If you remember to return to it you can have some fun.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Next expansion has been revealed, and as predicted it’s alliance themed around Stormwind.  This makes it a pretty safe bet that the mini set will be Stockades based.  Releases Aug 3rd and has a free card you can log in and use now which is actually pretty interesting.  Flightmaster Dungar is the NPC flightmaster in SW and his effect is pretty sweet thematically.  He’s a 3 mana 3/3, and his battle cry is “choose a flight path” from 3 options.  Each one is an in game location, and each one sets him dormant for a number of turns - the further away the location, the more turns, to represent you being in the air flying there.  Then when the number of turns is over you “land” and an effect goes off depending on the destination you chose. The options are Goldshire (1 turn, summon a 2/2 with a random effect on landing), Ironforge (3 turns, heal your hero for 10) and Eastern Plaguelands (5 turns, deal 12 damage split between enemies randomly).  I love the design on that, and can see it being a decent card that ends up played.

the other noteworthy things are;

- quests are kind of back in the form of quest lines. They work the same, except they have 3 parts, with each part having a reward.  They’ve shown the Warlock and Mage ones which have small ish ones on completing the first 2, but the 3rd gives you a version of the mercenary characters they introduced for each class last expansion with a super powerful permanent effect. The mage one gives you +3 spell power for the rest of the game, but the warlock one turns all damage you take on your turn into damage for your opponent.  That means fatigue damage as well. Not to mention your hero power become “deal 2 damage to your opponent and draw a card”

- new keyword is tradable.  Basically, cards with this can be dragged back to your deck to shuffle them in for a new card at the cost of one mana.  Cards you trade back keep and mana discounts or stat boosts.  Think we’ll see a few more things that expand on this during the release to add a few things. 
- profession tools are a thematic kind of weapon for the expansion. Will be based on actual profession tools in game and available for some non typical weapon classes (they showed a warlock one that had a mana discount type effect).  So far looks like they are going to not have attack values, but will have an effect you can trigger that drops their durability.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so somehow I think I just guilted a priest player into conceding to me….

So I’m not playing a serious deck really - it’s a warlock deck with a bunch of imp generating cards to do the ach where you summon 250 imps. I get a priest and I’m not expecting to win because he will undoubtedly be using the common priest deck which is annoying as fuck, and everyone hates because it just outlasts you and wins with whatever random bullshit it generates, because it generates a lot of random bullshit.

I actually get a good start and end up having a decent side void imp on turn 4 that starts smacking him around that he struggles to answer. He uses his blademaster early which helps whittle it down, plus it means that it’s not doing a full heal on him. Then he drops 2 of those 6/6 elemetals that heal him, this starting the “soooo close….fuck” cycle where I am super close to the win, but he pulls something out that stabilized him. 2 raise dead’s give him another 2 blade masters, and this time he gets a full heal off one of them, along with another 2 of those healing elementals. I get a wide board, he pulls out a xyrella. His hand runs low, he pulls a pissing Malygos off his draconic studies refilling with his bullshit spell generators.  His other draconic studies pulls a bloody Alex.

At this point the match has been going on ages and he doesn’t really threaten me much until i start running out of cards. He then gets to the point where he’s within a point of beating me. I have to admit, at this point I’m a bit salty and thinking that if he’s going to play a bullshit deck that takes forever to win or lose and by the luck of your rng, I’m going to aid to that time wasting for him by roping out each turn. I get to the last turn, where he deffo has me beat and I’m waiting to hit concede as while I’m fine time wasting, him taking 20 jillion moves instead of just hitting my face I can’t be bothered with. Instead I just get a “well played” and then a concede from him.

I actually ended up feeling a bit bad because I spent the entire game thinking “what an arse” because of the deck he was playing (I don’t seem to be alone in my hatred for playing that deck though - apparently it’s by far the deck that people insta concede to the most because it’s so annoying to play against) and I’m pretty sure that as much as you can via the hearthstone UI I was displaying that in game. That almost felt like he was acknowledging that and doing that to make amends.

I still fucking hate that deck though…..

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit they went and did it….

D057BD04-815D-4529-BA54-99F917C148F8.jpeg.d9b1213b945bebd08122b296c7361102.jpeg

for those that don’t get the reference 

Spoiler

The sword of a thousand truths is from an episode of south park where they play WoW but a nerd keeps ganking them to the point they kill thousands of boars to level up in an area he doesn’t go so they can’t kill him so they have a chance against him, but the player is killing so many other players the devs give them that sword to help kill him. Themeatically it’s incredibly well done, from the boars needing to die to the mana burn effect that the in show sword had

power wise this is obviously pretty much game over if you complete the requirements unless your opponent is so far ahead that even 45 damage and being locked out mana wise for 3 turns isn’t enough. But it’s a hard requirement I think, and the most likely class to complete (hunters using dire frenzy and some of the cards that discover beasts in your deck) is likely gonna be way too slow to do it and pass up too much that it won’t be a good deck. Cant think of any other classes currently that can consistently pull this off (rogues with toggswaggles scheme can in wild, shamans have that spellstone that copied minions, I think everything else is random change to copy or res).  I think it could be fun though!

• 3 weeks later...

So initially I was worried we’d see a lot of super powerful and annoying decks and while it’s neeeeearly the case, it’s not as bad as I’d feared. 

Quest hunter runs out of steam way to quick to be as OP as it seemed. You don’t have the card draw or generation needed to be truly op but you can plan some big turns where the stars align that make it feel super powerful. Unfortunately face hunter is better.

There’s a super greedy quest warrior list that doesn’t play loads of pirates and is good against aggro, but you don’t see because it’s weak to almost every other greedy value control deck and the Juggernaut isn’t quite as game winning as priest or warlocks win conditions. 

Spell mage with quest is apparently really powerful but I’ve beat every one I’ve played.

Not played a single paladin yet. Was expecting see more of them. Quest seems really powerful. 

Played a few rogues. There’s a garrote rogue that people are concerned about as it can OTK you early but is really hard play apparently, given that the one I played killed himself by fatiguing themselves that might be true.  Quest rogue seems powerful but not annoyingly so. 

Only druid decks I’ve played against are odd non net decked ones. 

And then there’s quest warlock. Which is the deck I’ve faced most and I can see being the one that I become sick of seeing. At least unlike the other warlock deck, I’ve seen a few different versions of this. But the aim is always the same, damage themselves and burn their cards and win by killing you with their fatigue. I get that it’s a cool concept but someone summed up why it’s annoying - basically they don’t really care too much about what you do, they just go about their business destroying their own stuff and it just happens to be bad for you as well. All the negatives they have on cards are suddenly positives that activily aid them. So they get a cheap 2/5 that has a downside that helps them. The risk/reward is way to skewed to one side. 

That said I’ve been playing quest druid and it straight up murders them - haven’t lost a game yet. You just use your attack gaining moves and whack em in the face, and you gain enough armour they can’t outpace you. Then by turn 7 you should be able to start dropping guffs and copying them with that taunt copy spell, and just keep whacking them in the face for 8+ each turn while having a big taunt to protect you.  They don’t run taunts so they can’t protect themselves from you, and most their stuff is low attack so they struggle get through your armour . Plus, around turns 5-6 they’re still reasonably low from trying to do the quest so they’re usually just in the right range that guff puts them in the dilemma of trying to complete the quest vs surviving. So yeah, if you’re facing lots of quest warlocks, try quest druid. It’s fun too.