rllmuk
Hexx

Hearthstone

This is a pretty good list of Trumps* rating for neutral common & basic cards for arena drafts, I would say it is also a good guide as to what cards you should be looking to include in your decks if you are just starting out and have a limited choice.

http://ihearthu.com/trumps-arena-card-rankings/

*he streams a lot and was one of the 8 players invited to blizzcon to compete in the hearthstone tourney

Only believe in no-life (and no eyes) Kripp!

Edit: Warlock's really made me forget the Mage, whom is in his late 30's now. Regardless, Golden Fireball at Level 44.

So I lucked out and got Ragnaros in a random pack. I've also got enough dust to craft a legendary, so any suggestions? A neutral one would be cool (also got Illidan, Sylvannas and Millhouse), as I still haven't got a main class decided yet, though I'm playing paladin, hunter and warlock mostly. Thinking of going with jaxarrus, Tirion or Cairne Bloodhoof currently. Still not 100% yet though...

Neutral ones, Ysera or Bloodmage Thalnos. Those two and Rag seem to be the go to legendaries with Sylvannas not far behind. If you are playing paladin a lot then the sword of justices are probably worth crafting two of before Tirion if you don't have them yet.

Well, I just went a bit mental and bought 40 packs, and snagged 3 more legendaries out of it. The Beast, Nozordomu, aaaaaaaaand.......Tirion Fordring. Which was handy! I've put The Beast in my hunter deck as well, which has been one of the ones I've had the most success with. The deck consists of;

post-586-0-56804600-1384643582_thumb.jpg

I've tried a pure swarm/aggro deck, and find this to be a bit more versatile, and not so reliant on your opening hand/getting certain combos. There are a few ways you can play it though. The eaglehorn bow works really well with traps/secrets, which allow you to stall them from building up their minions, and allowing you to either pick off larger health taunters/threats with your bow. Unleash the hounds is probably mandatory in any hunter deck, and can easily be used to play into a win in this one. There are enough low cost minions to either hold em back for a big play on one turn, or if you have the beast in your hand, hit them for 10 in one turn. I've put in 2 Ironbeak owls as they are cheap enough to usually knock out any taunters they have and still allow you to play multiple minions for a burst Hounds play.

Due to his deathrattle, I only play The Beast if I know he's going to live long enough to not cause problems if they get a minion out of it. So far, thats been either the aforementioned Hounds combo, or in conjunction with traps to keep him safe. Do that, and he's won games for me when I've played him.

Houndmasters are in there purely as a defensive play, as they can turn most things into a decent stall (plus giving you themselves to use if not dealt with).

Still looking at what I could do with it though. Considering getting rid of the Novice Engineers and replacing them with Starving Buzzards, as it's both a beast and has a far greater draw potential, though the Engineer does guarantee you a card draw, rather than relying on being alive when you play other cards. May swap deadly shot for kill command as well - a targetted 3-5 damage is more likely to be useful than a random kill regardless of health.

I've plonked Tirion in my Pally deck, not tried it though.

Definitely swap in Buzzards, most of the unleash the hounds decks I've played against use this as the first card of the turn 6/7 combo so they are drawing cards throughout it which means you can take a gamable and start the combo hoping to draw what you need as you progress. Also you really want 2 Young Dragon Hawks in it as well they are the absolute killer card in this combo. Apart from that I suggest multishots for added board clearance and it may be worth considering another tracking and using Flare for more card cycling.

So after losing the last 8 games in a row I'm still playing people with 4 legendaries in their decks, and last two games managed to do 2 damage to the enemy champ before I die. Seems a bit daft, not winning means I cant buy new cards so i'm sort of stuck in a endless rut where I'm waiting for the game to realise I suck at the game and give me better matched opponents. Which seems to be taking too long to do and sapping any fun out of the game

There is so little in game help for people completly new to this type of game. I beat the tutorial and played the other decks to get a few cards but just seems to be placing me way above where I should be at.

I understand it takes time to put you into a place where you should be getting 50/50 but playing the last 8 matches losing all of them and never getting them below 25 hp is kind of upsetting. Maybe its my deck but as there is so little help in game I cant actually tell.

I get them to build my deck and it fails, i build it and it fails... Maybe you cant play a druid deck until you get good cards, but then it should give you that as a hint rather than letting you lose so much... rant over ¬_¬

Sometimes I have fairly bit losing streaks - sometimes its just not having the right cards at the right time, they have the right cards to counter yours or just that your deck needs a bit of tweaking. I've also not seen many strong druid decks, though I assume they exist. If I'm starting a new deck, I tend to use pretty much the same minions;

Novice Engineer

Raid Leader

Razorfen Hunter

Ironfur Grizzly

Dragonling Mechanic

Senjin Shieldmaster

Frostwolf Warlord

Stormwind Champion

All those are free (as in, you should have them without buying any cards) and work well together - the Grizzly and Sheildmaster providing taunts to help your Hunter and Mechanic to get your side fuller, with the Raid Leader, Warlord and Stormwind Champion all benefitting from having more mobs. They should provide a decent start point, to which you can start adding class specific spells once you get them. For example, in a Druid deck, you'd want Wrath, Claw, and Bite for sure, as well as Savage Roar (which is a lesser version of Bloodlust). You'd probably want Innervate and Mark of the Wild too.

Dont forget your hero power as well, it's great in the early game for picking off low health threats. Sometimes its worth doing that rather than playing a minion.

They could do with adding a few more resources to help new players in the game, building your own deck for the first time can be daunting, and the "recommended" cards often dont help loads.

• Upvote 1

Made an all-secrets Mage deck that I've been playing the last couple of days. 2 of every secret the mage has. The way to win? Kill your opponent via card draw. Cockblock with freezes and flames for as long as you can.

Long, drawn out, they think they're winning.

Insert evil maniacal laughter.

• Upvote 1

2 below are my absolute must haves for starting decks (along with Senjin Shieldmaster and Novice engineer as recommended above)

Shattered Sun Cleric - 3/3 gives another card +1/+1 possibly the best free card in the game.

Chillwind Yeti - 4/5 for 4 mana really hard for the opponent to trade this 1 for 1 early in the game. If the cleric isn't the best free card then this is.

Nice to haves:

Acidic Swamp Ooze - 2/3 that destroys an enemy weapon at 2 mana even if the opponent is a class that doesn't use weapons it has good stats

Gnomish Inventor - 2/4 for 4 mana + draw a card. Really solid 4 mana card which I've come to appreciate a little bit more over my time of playing.

Gurubashi Berserker - 2/7 gains +3 attack everytime it takes damage. Can quickly become very dangerous.

Boulder Fist Ogre - 6/7 for 6 mana.

Stormwind Champion - Solid card

As for druid specific information have a read of this:

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/10195530639

I've had so many more wins since I crafted up a pair of Argent Commanders. Charge & Divine Shield? Yes please!

• Upvote 1

Same. Looks like we gotta wait for the open beta.

Fuckers!

Saying that I have no idea why I'm so keen to play - Never played past level 25 ish in WoW and have never played a card game before. But this does sound excellent.

Finally. Masters L1 !

Any news about the iPad release? I guess it would have to be after the PC open beta? Or perhaps even PC final?

Grats what are you playing? :)

In similar news I just got to:

attachicon.gif3STAR.JPG

\o/

Nice. Onwards and upwards!

Mainly various priest decks. Kripp's is pretty good fun. It has the bonus of being an anti-priest, priest deck. Though I haven't seen many above Diamond 2, the last priest I played quit on turn 6 against an impenetrable wall of 4s.

Three games online so far and I'm unbeaten!

No wait, the other one, I haven't won yet.

I think maybe I need to work through every character in practise before heading online?

No, in fact often it's best to go straight to vs play as I believe the xp is greater (it certainly is past level 10). Build your own decks though, looking at some of the cards suggested by Nimmel an myself a bit earlier. They are mostly free cards, so you should have em, then just supplement them with cards from whatever class you play. Those should give you a solid base and win a few matches themselves.

Remember, most people have been playing a while now, so have gotten their decks sorted more, and sussed certain plays already, while you're still playing catch up on that. Also, pick a class and stick with it for a bit. If I get chance later ill do a quick run through of em to go through the differences. It's also a shame you can't chat in game else I'd suggest adding my battle tag and going through a few games see if there was any help I could give you.

Cheers :)

Even though I'm being truly beaten every game I am enjoying it and I think it's starting to click. Will head back online after I watch a few Youtube videos I think.

No, in fact often it's best to go straight to vs play as I believe the xp is greater (it certainly is past level 10). Build your own decks though, looking at some of the cards suggested by Nimmel an myself a bit earlier. They are mostly free cards, so you should have em, then just supplement them with cards from whatever class you play. Those should give you a solid base and win a few matches themselves.

Remember, most people have been playing a while now, so have gotten their decks sorted more, and sussed certain plays already, while you're still playing catch up on that. Also, pick a class and stick with it for a bit. If I get chance later ill do a quick run through of em to go through the differences. It's also a shame you can't chat in game else I'd suggest adding my battle tag and going through a few games see if there was any help I could give you.

Um, you can chat in game to people on your friends list, it's just matchmade games where you can't chat. Click on the icon on the bottom left hand corner, and double click them to start a conversation. That's if I'm remembering the specifics correctly, I've definitely done it a few times.

Um, you can chat in game to people on your friends list, it's just matchmade games where you can't chat. Click on the icon on the bottom left hand corner, and double click them to start a conversation. That's if I'm remembering the specifics correctly, I've definitely done it a few times.

Fair enough, I thought it wasnt active for some reason, and never noticed otherwise because I've not actually got anyone else in my friends list playing it!

I had great fun last night with a Molten Giant / Warlock deck. I'm sure it's been thought of before (and done better) by someone far more competent at Hearthstone than I, but I threw my own together and got a couple of wins (and a crushing defeat) out of it. If you're not familiar with how it works, Molten Giant costs 20 mana, but its cost goes down as you take damage on a 1 for 1 basis. One of the games I won (against a Rogue) finished up when he got me down to 10, so both the molten giants in my hand cost 0 mana, and got played alongside a Defender of Argus (which gave them both +1 and taunt), which was oh so satisfying. One thing I like about it is that feels like a really "warlock" deck, in that it's pretty evil how you lull your opponent into thinking that they're steamrolling you and then: splat. I threw in a bunch of tempting rare low-mid cost minions (Questing Adventurer, Twilight Drake) to try and lure out their ability cards as I work towards the giants and that worked well, the danger of the deck obviously is that you don't get through it enough to get at least one of the giants out, I imagine that's where I'll come undone eventually!

I couldn't help but admire the Shaman that I lost against though. I got smashed by the combination of an Earth Elemental and Ancestral Spirit (return a card to the battlefield when it dies), which he played twice on the same elemental, giving it 3 "lives", during one of which he gave it windfury...

Just had a great game which lasted about 30 minutes! Normally they're over in five minutes. Halfway through was real tense as someone came in my office so I had to minimise it for what felt like ages. Never before have I hurried someone out as fast as I did.

I won as well but in games like that I don't think I mind either way. I just get annoyed when I get trounced.

My deck is getting nice but I do find myself running low on cards towards the end. Will a couple of cards that let me draw two cards be enough?