Best film and TV tie-ins

strider

*awaits deluge of votes for Goldeneye*

I loved the home computer (ST/Amiga) versions of Batman: The Movie. Great combo of mini-games. Rock hard too, of course. Robocop 3 was like nothing else I'd ever played, too (whereas the movie was unlike anything I'd ever seen, but in a somewhat less good way), though I only got to play it on a friend's machine.

Otherwise, Shiny's Aladdin and The Lion King on the Mega Drive were great. Other than that... um... do Castle of Illusion (MD/MS/GG) or the Gameboy Duck Tales games count?

Obviously there have been a few decent Star Wars games over the years. I never really got into the vector graphics arcade games, though I loved RotJ. But my favourite was the rather-unofficial looking "Death Star Interceptor" on the Spectrum ... I played that thing to death.

Cobra.gif

trapdoor2.gif

921671_61164_front.jpg

the-warriors.jpg

Benny_Hill-s_Madcap_Chase_-_1985_-_dk-tr

Pics getting a bit big there sorry, honourable mentions to:

Lion King
Aladdin

Kung Fu Panda
Toy Story 3
Lego <insert film>
Wolverine
Spider Man 2
Xbox side scrolling LoTR beat em up's (getting a bit tenuous there)
Star Wars Super Bombad Racers (this one may be a lie)

Sorry if these were a bit too recent, must give the old grey cells a kick and go back further..

I can really remember, Eastenders and Auf Wierdersehen Pet being really awful.
The Adrian Mole Games (there was a TV series) was decent.

The Robocop side scrolling arcade game was brilliant, from the era where you could complete games on a single credit if you had enough practice. I played that one to death in my local chippy and it still holds up very well on MAME today.

Slightly off topic, but I also really loved the Frankie Goes to Hollywood game on the C64.

I remember really enjoying The Fall Guy on the Spectrum, but I'll bet it was actually crap.

Trap Door was amazing even if the gameplay was actually massively clunky.

I had the Fall Guy on the C64, I 'm pretty sure I never got past the first train level. And yeah. The Trap Door was amazing - i think cheifly because the look of the game was very close to the actual program (It also helped the the program itself was and remains one of the top 5 television programes ever invented.)

Hudson Hawk on the C64

Run The Gauntlet on the C64

WTF category:

Give My Regards To Broad Street - baded on the Paul McCartney film.

Also wanted to mention the Bob's Full House game on the Spectrum, if only for the title screen, it's that portrait of Bob Monkhouse:

Bob-s_Full_House_-_1988_-_Domark_Softwar

Aliens on Speccy and C64; the Electric Dreams one, not the later US Gold import. I hear there was a decent Aliens game on the Jaguar, too.

Another upvote for Trapdoor!

Atari's Star Wars arcade machine.

Ritman and Drummond's Batman.

Been a couple of decent film tie-in pinball tables, too - Addams Family, for example.

Minder on the Spectrum :) - And Spitting Image was a pretty good effort too for an abstract take ( I mean what eventually became split personalities - not the shite beat-em-up)

I spent far too much time playing Minder. Platoon was another favourite of mine on the spectrum - until you hit the tunnels, after about 3 months of trying I finally gave up and never got any further

Minder on the Spectrum :) - And Spitting Image was a pretty good effort too for an abstract take ( I mean what eventually became split personalities - not the shite beat-em-up)

Amazing! I wrote the C64 version of the shitty Spitting Image beat-em up* and whenever I mention it there's a running joke where the person responds with "what, that great tile sliding game?" and I reply with "no, the shit beat 'em up". It was called Splitting Images before they made them change it.

*I was only 16/17 years old when I wrote it, if that's any kind of excuse.

And on topic, the Die Hard Trilogy on the PS1 was pretty excellent.

Always loved the SNES version. Does anyone remember run the gauntlet, based on the popular tv show? That was pretty good fun.

I had it on tape at the time and crikey it would test even the most patient person. Each event had to be loaded in at random and was a right old pain in the balls. I will fire it up when I get home and see if the disk version was better. I do remember the actual events being pretty good though.

Amazing! I wrote the C64 version of the shitty Spitting Image beat-em up* and whenever I mention it there's a running joke where the person responds with "what, that great tile sliding game?" and I reply with "no, the shit beat 'em up". It was called Splitting Images before they made them change it.

Haha :) That's a great little story. In my addled memory it was a licensed game from Spitting Image, but I guess it was just a take on the name

Haha :) That's a great little story. In my addled memory it was a licensed game from Spitting Image, but I guess it was just a take on the name

It was a bit more than that, from what I remember. The logo on the box looked similar to the "splattered paint" Spitting Image logo, and the artwork featured several caricatures that looked like Spitting Image puppets. You could get away with a lot back then in the tiny world of 8-bit videogames, but that just took the biscuit.