RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi. Dies at 85.

Keyboard Koala

RIP, the man who made Nintendo into a gaming force and then sowed the seeds for where it is now, despite owning a US sports team, he never ever went to a single game, supposedly didn't like travelling much.

IIRC, it was a PR move. The only other people interested in the team wanted to move them to another city/state.

They still own them, and played in Japan last year, but Yamauchi still declined to go to the games. It seems to have been a running joke with fans of the team that he was the only owner of a US sports club that had never bothered to see them in person.

Club CEO Howard Lincoln told me Saturday, the Mariners’ first full day in Japan, that the 84-year-old retired chairman of Nintendo will not see in person games between his Mariners and Oakland A’s that open the major league season Thursday and Friday at the Tokyo Dome.

“He’ll be watching on TV,” Lincoln said after a press conference at the Tokyo Dome Hotel. “Given all the years he’s been involved with the Mariners, he’s really looking forward to see the team play. He’s very excited.”

Asked if age and health were the primary reasons Yamauchi will not leave his home in Kyoto for the two-hour trip, Lincoln said, “He didn’t give me a reason, he just indicated to me he’s not going to be here.

“Quite frankly, a man of his age and stature doesn’t have to explain why he’s not here.”

Was just about to post that. Still got mine when it was given away with Arcade, a great book.

Me too, somewhere. Was a great read (and i don't really read books much). I'll have to dig it out sometime and re-read it.

I do wish the author would do a revised version though - a lot has happened since the book finished.

PBS have put it best: Comparing him to Steve Jobs

"That was the parallel I would draw. He is most known for being able to pick out what people want before they know they want it, which was what Jobs was amazing at. He hired people who were visionaries because of their unique characteristics. He innovated the industry like no one had ever done. We are talking about a man who cared so much for the company he spent 63 years as president, worked until his mid 70's as president and didn't take his retirement pension when he retired, which was estimated between 8 and 14 million dollars. He said the company could use it better than him. When he first started out he created three research and development studios in the company to compete with each other to get the best ideas. He was a predecessor to Steve Jobs. He hired skilled people to create products, but you could even say he was the main architect".

"That was the parallel I would draw. He is most known for being able to pick out what people want before they know they want it, which was what Jobs was amazing at. He hired people who were visionaries because of their unique characteristics. He innovated the industry like no one had ever done. We are talking about a man who cared so much for the company he spent 63 years as president, worked until his mid 70's as president and didn't take his retirement pension when he retired, which was estimated between 8 and 14 million dollars. He said the company could use it better than him. When he first started out he created three research and development studios in the company to compete with each other to get the best ideas. He was a predecessor to Steve Jobs. He hired skilled people to create products, but you could even say he was the main architect".

What I found amusing is that Apple were apparently more afraid of Nintendo than Microsoft back in the day.

Robo-Yamauchi would have eaten Jobs for breakfast.