If you're not planning on getting one, what would it take to make you buy a Wii U?

It's (possibly) using the same engine and the same graphical style. They haven't reinvented the wheel, they've stuck loads of cool shit onto the spokes and spun it around faster.

#analogyfail

No problem, and if it was on 3DS, which I already own, I'd give it my consideration. Not paying £200 for the pleasure though.

I don't think I'd pay £200 for any game.

It's (possibly) using the same engine and the same graphical style. They haven't reinvented the wheel, they've stuck loads of cool shit onto the spokes and spun it around faster.

#analogyfailI don't think I'd pay £200 for any game.

Well that's the problem. I did buy a machine for Super Mario World, Mario 64 and Wii Sports (plus Zelda). GC was more a Faith based purchase. I knew there would be more games in the long run, but it was those that made me jump. I already have a more than capable Nintendo player in the 3DS right now. It'd take more than another Mario for me to invest my time and money.

Well, you have a Nintendo player that won't play 3D World. Nintendo (or any developer) don't really have anything bigger than 'another Mario' from my point of view. I said it at the time of the unveiling - it will almost certainly end up being, at worst, the 6th best 3D platform game ever made. That's enough for me! :)

I've long believed people don't really buy consoles. They buy the games they want and any hardware required. I think the Wii U is coming close to having an essential collection of games. But that's me, and I already have one.

I love games an' all, but there really is no such thing as an essential game. Not even if you like games. :(

A game I haven't played before from one of their first party studios. I've already played PacMan VS, Mario Kart DS and Super Mario 3D Land, I'd like them to make a proper Mario game or do something interesting with Mario Kart. Or make a Zelda game which doesn't walk you through itself. Or god fucking forbid a new IP from them.

I love Nintendo. My favourite games of all time are Nintendo games. I still regularly play Mario World, 64, Sunshine and Galaxy. I love Zelda games to an insane degree. But for fucks sake, make a new game. They don't even have to invent a new character or IP, just do something as interesting as galaxy again.

Pretty much this. If Nintendo went "hey look, here's six new games you've never fucking seen before" - in those exact words - I'd be all over it. I'm a bit bored of Mario and Zelda. The GameCube was massive for me when that came out. Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin in particular were terrific examples of Nintendo trying something new, and the third party launch window games were just fantastic.

N64: It's got amazing 3D graphics, it's got an analogue controller, it's got FUCKING SUPER MARIO 64, it convincingly brings Zelda into the third dimension.

GC: It's got pretty lighting, it's got Luigi's and Rogue Squadron that look amazing, it's got Monkey Ball which is just hours of fun, oh and we made a 3D Metroid that's one of the freshest and best adventure games ever as well.

Wii: It's got motion controls, you can now actually play tennis and other sports! It's got funny mascots, it turn Mario literally on his head in the BEST FUCKING PLATFORMER EVER, it's got a lot of old favourites on Virtual Console!

Wii U: We got a touchscreen in the controller which we don't really have a purpose for, it's got some games you already played before, it's got some multiplayer stuff you need to invest in loads of extra accessories for and you get to play Mario Kart again. Next year.

It's not that hard to see where they go wrong.

Yep.

Being a 38 year old man child who actually cares what people thinks of what they do in their spare time is one of the most depressing things I've ever read. I find it hard to believe that someone thinks people will think more of them if they play GTA 5 over Lego. They're both video games about make believe mans doing stupid stuff. Except one of them has a genuinely funny script and the other is GTA.

And yep. GTA's script isn't awful, but I thought it was disappointing.

I assume that he isn't too interested in those games otherwise he would have bought a Wii U to play them.

I was more pointing towards the fact that a library of universally praised games is being built - it's not just one or two isolated examples now. It's not an investment in just one title. And we have a 3D Mario, a new Mario Kart, a new Bayonetta etc on the way.

I'd say there are plenty of people interested in several titles on the Wii U that don't own a machine yet - not owning one now doesn't 100% automatically mean you have absolutely zero interest in anything that been released for it so far.

There's being interested and there's buying the machine. Nothing mentioned so far is significantly new or different enough for me to bite.

Also, there are loads of great platformers around at the moment. It's not as one sided as it used to be.

Nothing mentioned so far is significantly new or different enough for me to bite.

So you're not planning on picking up a PS4 or Xbox One either then right now ;)

Before anyone goes off on one, I'm actually interested in quite a few titles on both of those platforms. That doesn't mean they are significantly new or different though.

The big difference is that the PS4 and Xbone are pretty much guaranteed to have all big franchises, developers and publishers on board as well as their own first party games. Whatever happens in gaming over the next few years, with the PS4/Xbone you know you're going to be part of it. Even if the launch lineup is a bit rubbish.

In contrast, with the Wii U you're pretty much 100% depending on Nintendo to deliver the goods and if they don't make the games you want to play, who will? They only have the capacity to release a handful of games every year, and there's a good chance that the game you want to play won't be among them.

What you need is a Wii U and a PS4 under your TV and you have pretty much have all console gaming bases covered.

If you don't have a soft spot for Nintendo stuff then you can save some money and fuck off! :D haha That was a j/k by the way before anyone gets there tampons in a twist...

So you're not planning on picking up a PS4 or Xbox One either then right now ;)

Before anyone goes off on one, I'm actually interested in quite a few titles on both of those platforms. That doesn't mean they are significantly new or different though.

Well they're significantly more powerful for a start and will attract far more third party support. It's likely that Wii U will struggle with multiplatform titles or just be ignored altogether.

They got away with it with Wii because Motion Controls were still new and uncharted territory. Wii U has nothing that differentiates it from the competition, and is considerably underpowered.

This before we even look at their digital distribution model, online & subscription based services.

To answer your question, I have neither the time or money for PS4/XBOX ONE right now, but I'd take either over a Wii U until Nintendo start getting their act together.

I'm seriously tempted to get the Wind Waker bundle with Pikmin and Wonderful 101 this week, the only thing muddying the waters is the fact I'll have to do it on credit. There are already a handful of games I'm gagging to play, with another couple to come before Christmas and a whole heap more next year. I'll get far more mileage from that lot than either the Bone or PS4, given that most of the titles there will be out on PC as well (although admittedly I'll be crying myself to sleep on Bone launch night when I can't play Dead Rising 3).

They got away with it with Wii because Motion Controls were still new and uncharted territory.

They 'got away with it' because they brought something new and fresh to the table that people connected with and enjoyed playing. That it didn't make use of the latest shaders made not one jot of difference to Wii Sports. More powerful hardware would not have really, significantly, altered the experience there.

Wii U has nothing that differentiates it from the competition, and is considerably underpowered.

So are the 360 and PS3 so considerably underpowered right now that you just can't find any enjoyment from games on them? Of course not - writing a console off (or on) based purely on power and not software is mental IMO.

They 'got away with it' because they brought something new and fresh to the table that people connected with and enjoyed playing. That it didn't make use of the latest shaders made not one jot of difference to Wii Sports. More powerful hardware would not have really, significantly, altered the experience there.

I agree with you. The Wii had a USP. The Wii U, less so.

So are the 360 and PS3 so considerably underpowered right now that you just can't find any enjoyment from games on them? Of course not - writing a console off (or on) based purely on power and not software is mental IMO.

I'm not writing it off, I'm just nit interested in it at the moment, and I'm basing that on software. The 360 and PS3 aren't considerably underpowered, but as we move into the next gen they will be.

I agree with you. The Wii had a USP. The Wii U, less so.

I'm not writing it off, I'm just nit interested in it at the moment, and I'm basing that on software. The 360 and PS3 aren't considerably underpowered, but as we move into the next gen they will be.

My point is different people like different games. To dismiss them as games because they're not to your liking is ridiculous.

But it is the point of a thread which asks: "what would it take for you to buy a Wii U?" - by definition it's all about personal preference, which games you happen to like or not.Whether you think 60FPS is important or not. Getting defensive about it in this particular context because someone has a different taste is a bit... pointless and weird.

Anyway, I finally watched the latest Super Mario 3D World trailer and it looks pretty good! A lot better than the unimpressive footage they showed at E3, which pretty much killed all interest I had in the game. But now, with that latest trailer and knowing Wind Waker HD is also out... I might just pick up a Wii U alongside my brand new PS4. Maybe.