The multiformat game comparison thread (resolution, frame rate etc)

3 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Well, just in case you weren't aware (though it has been pointed out several times in the last few days) but if you haven't fully quit a game on the Xbox, it holds back your download speeds in order to maximise bandwidth for whatever you might be playing. That is the main cause of such fluctuations.

I've rebooted/quit apps and checked NAT and so forth - sometimes that's helped a bit, sometimes not. Even at it's fastest Live is still a good 100mbit slower than PSN on my connection. 

The more worrying thing in that video is the early results for the series S in almost every game are pretty awful. 1440P appears to have been essentially, a lie but in Dirt 5 it doesn't even hit 1080P.

The question is, will later games optimise better to manage that or will complex games make the thing worse as we go on? It's normally bad to judge launch games but are these machines as much different from previous gen to develop as previous ones.

25 minutes ago, kensei said:

This strikes me as by far the most likely explanation; single core performance is usually underrated for game performance. 

In theory given the extra grunt of the Series X it should be possible to tune / architect around that. But it depends how easy that is in the various tools and engines. If PS5 is lead platform, developers might not bother if Series X is good enough. 

The PC is I'm guessing the lead platform for any third party titles as all consoles are essentially running on customised PC hardware.

In the end when the dev tools mature you'll see more capable GPUs being used to leverage better results as you see on the PC. At the moment the games been released have essentially been developed on older Dev kits which are constantly patched and updated. In the case of the Xbox Dev kit I expect it's an order of magnitude more complex because of the multiple target hardware devices I guess so more chances for bugs the creep in. 

Grid 5 for example with have been sent to gold disk months ago. As mentioned in the DF video the developers are aware of this and it's likely a bug somewhere which will be patched out.

This is seen all the time on PCs where new GPU hardware is released and then patches and updates come along that make huge improvements. 

4 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

I've rebooted/quit apps and checked NAT and so forth - sometimes that's helped a bit, sometimes not. Even at it's fastest Live is still a good 100mbit slower than PSN on my connection. 

I've no experience of the new consoles, and this may sound like a daft suggestion, but have you tried swapping the two consoles' ethernet cables around to check there's nothing funny going on there? (I'd also say to check its wireless performance, but I'm guessing if you've cabled it up you have good reason)

4 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

That's really odd. Always been quite the opposite for me. Even with the Series X and the PS5, the PS5 is lagging behind in download speeds by a lot. 

On 24/10/2020 at 22:20, Boozy The Clown said:

7 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The more worrying thing in that video is the early results for the series S in almost every game are pretty awful. 1440P appears to have been essentially, a lie but in Dirt 5 it doesn't even hit 1080P.

The question is, will later games optimise better to manage that or will complex games make the thing worse as we go on? It's normally bad to judge launch games but are these machines as much different from previous gen to develop as previous ones.

people said that about the last gen, ‘they are just pcs now - so don’t expect massive improvements after launch" - but TLoU2 and the like show that was nonsense. And this time these machines are doing things pcs don’t really (yet) - so I still think we can expect significant improvements with time.  

4 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I've no experience of the new consoles, and this may sound like a daft suggestion, but have you tried swapping the two consoles' ethernet cables around to check there's nothing funny going on there? (I'd also say to check its wireless performance, but I'm guessing if you've cabled it up you have good reason)

They're both on short runs of cat6 into a good gigabit ethernet switch. The Series X has a new cable going into a previously unused port on the switch and it's performing a little faster than my One but not massively. First world problems and all that but with the limited space available on both machines I reckon being able to download quickly is pretty important

10 minutes ago, SteveH said:

That's really odd. Always been quite the opposite for me. Even with the Series X and the PS5, the PS5 is lagging behind in download speeds by a lot. 

What connection do you have? Wired or wifi? I've heard some folk say the same as yourself but assumed it was due to the PS4's crap wifi.

Just now, petrolgirls said:

What connection do you have? Wired or wifi? I've heard some folk say the same as yourself but assumed it was due to the PS4's crap wifi.

I usually have wired for both, but at the moment I'm wired with the PS5 and wireless with the Series X. In fact the speeds wireless with the Series X have really impressed me. 

23 minutes ago, Grobbelboy said:

Lol. Both consoles are out for a few days and DF are posting some initial findings, yet a bunch of people have already concluded that “omg this is a reversal of the 360/PS3 era!!1” and are Very Worried about all of this? :lol:

Indeed. :D Software can be easily patched hardware not. Thankfully both new consoles look to be robust.

Mine is disappointingly noisy as well. Unsure if it’s the dreaded coil whine or the fan. Think it’s the latter as it’s more like a whirring buzzy noise than anything else. It,s quieter than my PS4 Pro was, but can still hear it during quieter scenes if using the TV speakers instead of headphones. Disappointing after hyperbolic tech 'journalists' going on about it being silent. You think I'd learn as I remember them saying just how quiet the Pro was prior to release and I bet you can dig up previews of the Xbox 360 calling it 'whisper quiet'. There's so many people reporting similar that I think it,s the norm and and not the occasional rogue unit.

I've had two Xbox 1 X's, and while playing games neither of them were the much touted "whisper quiet". When idle on the dashboard, maybe. In use it was more like standard PC fan noise. And when the disc drive was in operation it was even louder.

35 minutes ago, Benny said:

I've had two Xbox 1 X's, and while playing games neither of them were the much touted "whisper quiet". When idle on the dashboard, maybe. In use it was more like standard PC fan noise. And when the disc drive was in operation it was even louder.

Agee. Although can't really hear my PC running either. My X was quieter than the PC running the same game. Why it got used more often.... (My PC is fairly quiet).

Suppose it's all machine and environment dependent so everyone's experience maybe slightly different I guess. My PS4 was the nosiest console I've ever owned though. Fact. Only time noise from a console has really bothered me. 

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Noooooooooooooo.   The fucker was supposed to be silent.    Sure you don't have a faulty one?

False advertising or crappy reporting by journalists, I don't know. Apparently the majority have coil whine but it's just dumb luck how loud the one you're getting will be. I can barely hear my XsX and most of the disappointment comes from every fucker on the internet saying ir was just as silent in the run up to release. Expectations were set too high.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

Mine is disappointingly noisy as well. Unsure if it’s the dreaded coil whine or the fan. Think it’s the latter as it’s more like a whirring buzzy noise than anything else. It,s quieter than my PS4 Pro was, but can still hear it during quieter scenes if using the TV speakers instead of headphones. Disappointing after hyperbolic tech 'journalists' going on about it being silent. You think I'd learn as I remember them saying just how quiet the Pro was prior to release and I bet you can dig up previews of the Xbox 360 calling it 'whisper quiet'. There's so many people reporting similar that I think it,s the norm and and not the occasional rogue unit.

I thought mine was the fan too, because it's more of a rattling sound. But everyone I sent the audio clip to, swears it's coil whine. They know way more about tech than I do, so I'm not worried anymore. I can clearly hear the rattling above the sound of the telly outside of full blown action scenes. While my XsX is whisper quiet.

19 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Agee. Although can't really hear my PC running either. My X was quieter than the PC running the same game. Why it got used more often.... (My PC is fairly quiet).

Suppose it's all machine and environment dependent so everyone's experience maybe slightly different I guess. My PS4 was the nosiest console I've ever owned though. Fact. Only time noise from a console has really bothered me. 

PS4 the noisiest? I have to assume you never owned a Dreamcast with Soulcalibur then! 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I thought mine was the fan too, because it's more of a rattling sound. But everyone I sent the audio clip to, swears it's coil whine. They know way more about tech than I do, so I'm not worried anymore. I can clearly hear the rattling above the sound of the telly outside of full blown action scenes. While my XsX is whisper quiet.

Are you sure you haven't got the issue where the sticker is getting caught in the fan?

18 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Are you sure you haven't got the issue where the sticker is getting caught in the fan?

Sticker guy posted a video along with his tweet and it sounded completely different. Not even close. So I thought, then it must be the dreaded whine.

6 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Also stickers guys was doing it no matter what from the moment he powered the thing on, when I think most of us notice a difference between dash and game.

Yeah, on the dash it's as silent as my XsX. Then I boot up a game and it goes loud immediately. If I go back to dash it stops immediately.

3 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

Not for me. PS5 consistently maxes my 400Mbit connection, Series X fluctuates from 40-300Mbit, and I'm seeing the lower end of that scale much more than I'd like (both consoles are hardwired directly to my router). It was the same last gen too, I nearly always got faster dl speeds via PSN. 

Interesting, I'm getting 500-800 download speeds regularly on Series X.

Guess it comes down to network setup etc.

Just now, Lying Cat said:

Hey guys, polite request to take the stupid Warz stuff to the thread that's for fighting in.

good lord what a revolutionary idea...

And shocking news that the thread in question hasn't worked.

I wonder why that thread didn't work as intended?

I was interested in the series s due to the small form factor and the fact that I don't have or particularly want to buy a 4k screen so it's quite disappointing to see that "same performance as the series x just at 1440 instead of 4k" is already totally out the window. I wouldn't have minded 1080p vs 4k on the series x but games running at 30fps on series s vs 60fps on the series x aside from the lower resolution feels significantly different to how the machine was presented before launch.

Now that the real world performance is coming out the series s seems like very bad value for money when the digital ps5 is an extra hundred quid or whatever.

34 minutes ago, Clipper said:

good lord what a revolutionary idea...

And shocking news that the thread in question hasn't worked.

I wonder why that thread didn't work as intended?

Well I can confirm that it's definitely not the fault of the Committee. And if it is, then we didn't mean it. And if we did it doesn't matter.

And if it does, then the responsibility lies with somebody other than me.

#LyingCat4Prez21