The multiformat game comparison thread (resolution, frame rate etc)

Proper 4K capture of the Series S at it’s 1440p30 and 1080p60 modes (latter drops to 720p a lot).

It’s definitely muddier, but I think the option of taking sub-HD resolutions for 60fps (or 120fps, in the case of Dirt 5) is a great one to have.

I’m looking forward to seeing what the 120fps mode for Halo: MCC is like on Series S.

Interesting comparison video here between next-gen consoles and multiple PC graphics cards, in a game without ray tracing.

Long story short, in AC Valhalla the PS5 performs better than a 2070 Super but worse than a 2080 Ti.

They didn't test the 3xxx series, I guess because even the lowest-end version currently out (the 3060Ti) outperforms the 2070 Super.

It's going to be interesting to see if that level of RDNA optimisation carries over to other game engines in the future, otherwise it's an exception in terms of how the consoles perform relative to Nvidia's PC GFX cards, as AMD's PC GFX cards also outperform by a noticeable amount their NV competition in the game, while they usually don't in most other games.

In Watchdogs: Legions, the XSX is slightly below the RTX 2060 Super, but that maybe entirely due to the RT and it would move up the NV weight class if you could turn RT off.

Interesting video. PS5 outperforms the Series X in the 60fps mode, and the Series X has to cut the framerate to 30fps to do the “quality mode.”

Makes me wonder what the performance implications for the PS5 and Series X versions are. I would hope they will be closer to the PC experience, but 60fps doesn’t look definite.

2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Interesting video. PS5 outperforms the Series X in the 60fps mode, and the Series X has to cut the framerate to 30fps to do the “quality mode.”

Makes me wonder what the performance implications for the PS5 and Series X versions are. I would hope they will be closer to the PC experience, but 60fps doesn’t look definite.

However the PS5 is running on lower settings for crowds etc. so you might want to think about framing.

besides, given that that we’re in the multi platform thread - where’s the PC video? :)

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Series S can hit higher res than PS5 and series X, and PS5 seems to use PS4 settings to hit sometimes 60 - the game seems to be a mess in its next gen back compatibility version so hopefully the next gen is a big jump.

And yet I’m still tempted to buy it now :doh:

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

The PS5 effectively hasn’t got a ‘quality’ mode!

From their tests. If you want the best looking console version of the game and are okay with 30fps then Xbox is best. If you want best consistent frames then PS5 wins with SX dropping frames with the caveat that the graphics settings in that mode (crowd density etc) on SX is higher.

Also, they suggest 60fps is likely to be a standard on SX and PS5 when the next gen patch hits so obvious enhancements would be increased resolutions and shinies though I can’t believe ray tracing will exist at anything above 30fps on any console. 

I like the fact that they are clearly impressed with the S version for what it does. The ability for people to run that game well at a playable rate (excluding the bugs!) on a a £250 machine in back cap is pretty special! 

For a game so clearly developed on PC as the lead platform it might

be the next generation versions that are the best example of showing off what these machines can really do. 

11 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

That's quite some spin :lol: 

PS5 literally doesn't have a quality mode.

I wouldn't play this game on any consoles right now, it's such a stripped back experience.

My intent wasn’t to spin it. I thought it was pretty widely known that the PS5 doesn’t have a quality mode. 

I forgot about the crowd density, but I think the PS5 maintains the (incredibly minor) lead in interior sections. 

It doesn’t look like something I want to play at the moment, either way. Waiting for the next gen patch seems a no brainer. 

Given the state of the game, waiting for patches in general if you are one and done inclined would be a good idea.

How much or little RT they manage to get in for the console versions is going to be interesting to see, this game has a flagship Nvidia implementation, so I'm expecting it to kill RDNA2 as a result. I wouldn't be surprised if its even more hacked back than the Watchdogs: Legion implementation for consoles.

11 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

My intent wasn’t to spin it. I thought it was pretty widely known that the PS5 doesn’t have a quality mode.

I've not seen it mentioned on the forum so it was a bit of a surprise to me and I suspect quite a few others!

As for the game itself.  I think I'll give it 6 months.    Got a real feel of an anti climax of a launch for me

13 hours ago, Isaac said:

That's quite some spin :lol: 

PS5 literally doesn't have a quality mode.

I wouldn't play this game on any consoles right now, it's such a stripped back experience.

It's a lesson in not missing what you never have.

I'm playing it on a One X and it seems just fine to me (albeit you can almost hear the console creaking at times)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

Just as @gooner4life joins team MS the full power of series x is unleashed and crushes the PS5 at last....

I expect this will come up more often over the next couple of years as API libraries get optimised for the new hardware.

On balance most people won't even notice the difference though... Xbox Series X has more compute units in its GPU. PS5 has less compute units but can be clocked a bit faster if needed.

Nice to see they are getting native 4K@60fps this early on though. Its going to be interesting to see what the devs can do with all this extra power going forward.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Fucking hell, it's a bloody great game just play and enjoy you utter twats (on resetera - here we're older and wiser and mainly confused about importing saves)

I'd wager that most people in that Resetera thread aren't even interested in the game. It's just the first big title we've had since Cyberpunk for them to console war over.

My favourite was some guy saying that a Youtuber thought there should have been more than enough headroom on the PS5 version for them to 'easily' optimise it further. You know, as opposed to the developers who have spent about a decade using their custom built Glacier engine and months optimising the game.

5 hours ago, Isaac said:

The ResetEra thread on that Hitman video got to 18 pages long in less than 24 hours:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/digital-foundry-hitman-3-ps5-vs-xbox-series-x-s-comparison-an-xbox-advantage-at-4k.364871/page-18

:lol:

Christ alive...people are having a flip comparing shadows that you could only compare if you had a picture of both games side by side, and would be irrelevant when playing either one.

I realise this is nothing new, but what is wrong with these people?

20 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Where is it £30?

Eneba digital code. But you need to use a vpn (i use the free tunnel ear extension) it's simple to do and I have bought a couple things from there in the last week (F1 2020 for a tenner) 

1 minute ago, ZOK said:

I realise this is nothing new, but what is wrong with these people?

It's resetera. There's a lot wrong with them. 

Bunch of fannies for a start. 

5 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Don’t we get the same thing here?

People here seem lovely and cool to me. Folks over there take themselves and their hobby far too seriously.