The Greatest Games of This Generation: The Results - 20/10/13 - the top ten

Wiper

:lol:

The real surprises for me amongst the number 1's there were Amnesia and World of Goo - astonished neither got more than one vote, and both deserved more recognition than they got.

Notable to see critical darling LittleBigPlanet languishing on one tenth place vote.

If I find time, I will do a metacritic ranking to pick out the games that have a big discrepancy between rllmuk's view and the critic's view (at the time obviously).

From my brief look now, I believe that LBP is the 12th highest eligible game on metacritic.

Notable to see critical darling LittleBigPlanet languishing on one tenth place vote.

that was mine, purely felt it deserved a spot due to the fun I had playing it and the huge array of user generated content for it, most not great but loads of good stuff. And it gave people the chance to build some great stuff.

I can see why it isnt liked.

Similarly my other "single vote" ignominy which is Space Giraffe... total marmite game I realise that and huge swathes hated it, but I just loved it and I play it regularly still and have done since the week it was released.

My tastes are obviously a bit off beam

Revengeance would provably be in my top 20. Awesome game.

It's got to be a shoe-in for the most disappointing game of the year, in terms of squandered pedigree. There's potential there and it's crying out for a more polished sequel, but it was ropey as fuck with barely any substance to it.

I'm not sure if they're still up (he deletes stuff occasionally) but Saur's videos for Revengeance showed how deep the systems can be.

I agree it was a big disappointment though. I thought it looked fantastic and controlled well (camera aside), but most of the weapons were the same and I properly despised the music on the bosses. I'm playing a Metal Gear game, not a Dragonball Z one. The parry system also felt undercooked.

Saur's vids are great yeah. To me, it's just a ton of fun to play. Sure, it's rushed. You can see Platinum didn't have much dev time and had to cut corners. And even though it's not as deep as Bayo or W101, I still had more fun with it than I did with almost any other game this year. Wll totally double dip for the PC version. I'll pass the mic over to you, dataDave. :)

As a Platinum fan I can't complain much anyway, both Bayo and Vanquish have a good shot at being in the top 20 of this gen.

Didn't most of the depth basically amount to using blade mode to cancel out of combos, though? I'm not even sure that was an intentional part of the combat system, it always felt a bit like breaking the game. A happy accident on behalf of the developers that players managed to make the most of.

As a package DmC absolutely steam-rolled it for me, and I wasn't looking forward I that at all.

Revengeance was endearingly nuts though, I'll give it that. I did love that mad-as-fuck Sai weapon that sent you pinging all over the room.

I'm not sure if you are trying to be irrelevant or something but this really just comes off as snobbish. Calling something a "Pile of Shite" on what is meant to be a celebration of the Greatest Games of the Generation is just really quite ugly. I know you've put a lot of effort into this, but putting such a negative personal spin on games that you clearly don't like or haven't spend much time with is not very nice.

I agree with this. Love the whole idea and all the effort you put into this, Wiper, but slagging other people's choices off is unneeded.

I mean Kid Icarus is obviously a great action game if you actually bother to learn its controls. ;)

I'm not sure if you are trying to be irrelevant

I prefer to think of myself as irreverent, but I'm willing to concede that I'm also irrelevant ;)

Ach lighten up folks. Wiper's making no bones about this being very much his own take on the games and we all disagree with him about something.

Shh, you'll spoil it! Though I do fear that this one will be a bit harder to accurately offend everyone, as there are a good few games I know next-to-nothing about in this list, unlike the PC list where there were less than a handful of titles I'd no first-hand experience of.