rllmuk
Djx

Vocaloid games - Hatsune Miku, IA and others

Hatsune Miku Project Diva F is a quirky rhythm action game starring Japan's favourite Vocaloid, Hatsune Miku, and is an upgraded PS3 version of the PS Vita title released in 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatsune_Miku:_Project_DIVA_F

For those wondering what a Vocaloid is -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocaloid

Every single song in the game was created by a user of the Vocaloid software.

For those wondering 'who' Hatsune Miku is -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatsune_Miku

The US gets a PS3 disc and d/l release. Europe gets a PS3 d/l version. Only Japan got a PS Vita version.

The game is available now on PSN for £36:99. Sega Europe released it without any fanfare on 04.09.13.

Sega have translated all of the menus into English but left the song lyrics in Romanji.

There are plenty of Youtube videos that translate the PS3 songs.

This channel is a good place to start -

https://www.youtube.com/user/xtokashx/videos

There is currently a demo available on PSN as well. Try before you buy is definitely recommended here.

(Couldn't find a previous thread on this game. If there is, please delete this, mods. Thanks)

• Upvote 5

I've only played this series on Ye Olde PSP, but I really like it. Will definitely be picking up the PS3 version when I'm less backlogged up and less cheap-assy.

Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd is out in Japan on 27.03.14 for PS3 & PSVita -

No word on a western release just yet.

Project Diva F 2nd was released in the UK last Friday for PS3 and PS Vita -

Just finished F 2nd on Normal. Pretty intense game and very challenging - I haven't felt the europhic relief at beating songs since playing Elite Beat Agents, and Hatsune Miku has a similar hold on my playtime. I wasn't sure how much the vocaloid stuff would grate on me, but aside from some poor circus/cat/poker themed songs it's been pretty great. The faster songs seem to suit the style the best though. Favourite was this:

If you are looking for a character driven rhythm action game (of which there are few) then this comes highly recommended. Right, Hard mode next...

• Upvote 4

Just picked up Project Diva F 2nd as my first vocoloid experience (not heard any or tried games) and I like it! I do like music rhythm games and I do like the songs too! Quick Miku question - is it worth picking up the first one/psp games? Perhaps songs are carried over or do they each have a unique song set?

Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai Deluxe is out for 3DS on May 29th in Europe -

Sega have a survey asking which system they should port the arcade games too!

PlayStation 3

PlayStation 4

Xbox One

Wii U

PC

smartphone

“not applicable”

rNOmaBy.jpg

• Upvote 1

Rice Digital has the PS3 and PSVita copies of Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd on sale for £15 each -

PS3 - http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/store/hatsune-miku-project-diva-f-2nd-ps3

PSVita - http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/store/hatsune-miku-project-diva-f-2nd-ps-vita

I picked up PDF2 for Vita at that price and have been completely engrossed in it since.

The learning curve is pretty steep - I'm competent at rhythm action games, but this is the first one I've played where your interactions are with the timing of the vocals rather than the music. It makes perfect sense being based around a vocaloid, but feels really unnatural to begin with as it can be difficult to sync up with something you're not familiar with. Normal mode is tough going at first, and learning to use both hands is vital moving in to Hard mode, or achieving high grades towards the more difficult tracks.

Some great, absurd pop music in the roster too. Melt, Envy Cat Walk and Doubleganger (bar the lazy breakdown) are super catchy, and while Luka Luka Night Fever reminds me of the Oompa Loompa song a little too much, the majority of the tracklisting is at least decent.

Paradichlorobenzene is enough to give you nightmares, but you can't win them all.

The only real downsides are that the menus feel like they were not designed to be used by humans, and rarely provide useful information when you need it - each track has a recommended costume for each character, for instance, but there's no way of figuring out what it is. Generally it unlocks after a track is beaten for the first time, but even then you have to remember it, trudge through a load of menus to the store, buy it, and then go and equip it - a process which is not notated in any way, so forgetting which costume you needed means going right back to the start.

Also the visual langauge is mostly good - once you get used to how information is displayed, it becomes second nature knowing exactly when you need to time your button-presses - but for stylistic reasons, occasionally the game will throw a curveball and feature multiple "hits" on the same space rather than snaking individual notes around the screen like it normally does. There is no reason for it to do this other than that it creates pretty patterns, and it's infuriating when on a high-score run and you forget that the goalposts have moved for two seconds. Scoring is also strangely weighted towards specific zones - nailing these specific combinations without dropping a note awards a bonus grade. There's three in every track making up 11% of the total score - and the top grade requires 95% hitrate. However, due to the way these zones are structured, you could hit every note bar two in the entire track and still wind up with 94%. Not an issue in itself, but there's no way of practicing these zones outside of working through the track repeatedly until you get there.

For all the moaning though, it's great. Jimmy's mention of the feeling you get when nailing a track is spot-on - especially on the harder difficulty levels, which require absurd levels of concentration throughout. It's easy to pick fault over stupid shit like the above, but it arrived just over a week ago and I can hardly put it down. I'm two tracks away from having an Excellent grade on the entire of Normal mode, and am racing through Hard now. Those seven-star tracks are a right fucker...

• Upvote 3

Got there!

post-4983-0-16275600-1430117610_thumb.jp

True to the previous statements, I nearly launched my Vita across the room after squeaking over the line on the final track. Have also cleared all of Hard, though not quite as comprehensively :) To celebrate I had a go at 2D Dream Fever on Extreme - one of two ten-star tracks.

Oh my poor ego.

Nice!

I went back to taiko no tatsujin on the wii! Number 4 has 'World is Mine' on it!

As I played 4 so much i actually went a little out of my way to platinum it @_@; - my first and likely going to be my only platinum as im not a fan of trophies/achievements.

Anyway 1 month till Project Mirai 3ds!

Aaaaand that's Hard clear, on "Great" or better. It's alarming how quickly you can pick up this useless skillset with a bit of practice.

Had I picked this up at launch, it'd easily have made my top three of the year.

PDF2 has pretty much been the only game I've played in the last month. I think I've knackered the buttons on my Vita as a result.

Three songs to go on Extreme. The last few clears have been a horrible mess of frantically-mashed buttons, missed Technical Zones and ratings barely over 80. At this stage I'm scraping by having failed to hit over a hundred notes on the average song, and it's changed the dynamic of the game from nailing a solid performance, to attempting to make sense of the patterns so that next time you're a little more prepared.

The charts are far too complex to be able to sightread now, so consistently nailing the easier bits and learning by rote is the way forward. I may be some time...

[edit] Two left. Went back to Easy for a quick piss about, as I went straight in on Normal so have hardly cleared any of Easy. Weirdly I'm finding it quite difficult - the patterns are really simple and only use one button, but because you're playing along with the vocals rather than the music, the fact that the chart has been so abstracted means that it becomes less of a rhythm game and more of a pressing-the-button-when-the-shapes-line-up game. There's often nothing consistent to keep time to, so it's impossible to get into any kind of rhythm for half the song, and a sudden off-beat note is basically the end of your Perfect most of the time.

• Upvote 1

Oh cool - I completely forgot there was DLC for this.

Which is good as now I've E-ranked everything on Hard, and am partway through E-ranking Extreme. Apparently my brain is broken as all I want to do is play PDF2.