rllmuk
Djx

Vocaloid games - Hatsune Miku, IA and others

Project Mirai arrived (Miraived?) and I spent a couple of drunken hours with it last night. Surprised/not surprised to find the menus set up in such a way to promote "hanging out" with one of the cast, with the rhythm game tucked away to the side. Either way, I played some Othello against Miku, was about 40-11 up at one point and then failed miserably at closing out the game and lost on the final stone. So fuck that. Then I got crushed at "Puyo Puyo 39", which is either some reference I don't get or the actual 39th game in the Puyo Puyo series. Other than the music it seems the same as every other Puyo game, and I am just as bad at this one as every other.

The Rhythm game itself is divided into tapping charts and button charts. Much preferring the tapping charts so far as they feel like they mirror the music more accurately; compared to Project Diva f and f2, the button charts feel a little wonky and, even on the hard difficulty, still have gaps where you would expect notes (though I imagine this will become less of an issue on the later tracks). Also I've had two generations' worth of XBoxes so all the button letters are in the wrong place for how my brain is wired. Y is at the top! Actually no

Tapping is reminiscent of Ouendan and Taiko no Tatsujin - easy mode has you tapping anywhere, medium gives you two distinct areas to tap and hard gives you three. There's also swipes, which from the little I've played tend to swipe in the direction of the next area you need to tap which makes them pretty intuitive.

Tracklist is the same kind of thing as every other Miku game - obnoxiously sweet and bizarre Japanese pop. I've found two tracks I recognise from the Project Diva f games so far, and I'm not sure if it's because I was slightly worse for wear but I swear they've been sped up compared to their PDf counterparts. Either way I've not hit any major duds to the level of the Nyan Cat song in PDf yet, so am looking forward to unlocking a few more songs and trying not to look at the nightmarish super-deformed characters too much. 

Unlocked the full track list now, entirely on tap-mode. Pleased to report an absence of complete howlers, though there are two pairs of tracks featuring a near-identical backing with a different Vocaloid on top, and neither are particularly exciting. Then you have to do them again and they're equally long and twice as dull.

I'm still working my way through the hard difficulty (and Super Hard where it exists) and am having fun, but it is a long way from unseating Project Diva f2 as my favourite in the series so far. The highlights of the tracklist (Romeo and Cinderella, World is Mine) are mostly repeats from the two PDf games, hard difficulty doesn't require you to tap every syllable like the Expert level on PDf/2 would... the Nendoroid stylings are creepy as fuck...

myWdQSF.png

Six tracks have an extra Super Hard mode, unlockable by hitting 85% on the hard mode for that track. When playing the tap mode, often it feels like you need two stylii; the Super Hard difficulty even more so, as it takes already challenging tracks and adds complex patterns to them, as well as requiring you to hit every syllable. One of the big level-up moments you'll have playing the PDf games is learning to use both hands, rather than doing everything on just the buttons; this affords you no such luxury and gives me shoulder-ache after a couple of attempts. Very satisfying though, and it really rewards a thorough knowledge of each track as sight-reading the complex patterns is difficult when you're also trying to read how many times you need to tap.

There's also a weird, probably accidental subtext that makes it appear that you're keeping one of the Vocaloids prisoner in a weird locked room. Aside from the rhythm game, you're able to decorate a room for your chosen Vocaloid in a Phantasy Star Universe fashion - a room which they are always present in, only one person ever comes to visit - and even then they just drop weird cryptic hints on how to play, and they are unable to exit without your supervision.

Your one concession to their humanity is that you can give them money to mail-order furniture and decorations. It's clearly intended to be a virtual pet-style offering but came across really sinister to me, like they've been kidnapped and are now on reality TV or something.

Anyway, it's pretty good but I'd still start with Project Diva f2 instead, if you have a Vita/PS3.

• Upvote 3

Project Mirai is £15 at Rice Digital, and you will probably get prompted to sign up to their newsletter for a further 5% off.

Project Diva f is £12/18 on Vita/PS3. PDF2 for £15 on Vita, and I can't be bothered to find the PS3 version as the PlayStation Store search is barely working :)

Got a PSP recently after not owning one for years and grabbed the 3 PSP games, with translation patches, they are brilliant fun. Just nice to have some new songs to play as I am waiting for Diva F 2nd to be in a sale. My 12 year old is really into this as well now, he even got me a Miku Pop Vinyl for father's day, while ordering himself Len and Rin. Getting him the Mirai game for his birthday. 

Wish there were more rhythm action games about, they are one of my favourite things to play at the moment

Not much talk on Diva X here.

Started it last night. The single player has more of a quest system and unlocking modules feels a lot more fun and interesting than before. Effectively you get bonuses for choosing costumes that match with the style of song (Cute, Cool, Weird etc). I'm playing a Japanese copy so I'm sure I'm missing out on the riveting story.

Tracklisting is short with 25 songs - I'm finding the hit rate to be pretty good but nothing outstandingly memorable (early favourites are song with the finger dance, and the one with Luka rapping).

I thought the lack of music videos would be an issue, but thankfully not the case. Stages become more like theatre productions, and the limits are welcome. It's particularly nice when more than one character is on stage and at those points in almost feels like Space Channel 5. The new music medleys work well too.

It's probably the worst Diva game, just because of the lack of content, but still worth pickup up if you're a fan.

What isn't short of content is Future Tone which is going to be released in the West digitally on PS4 early next year. If you buy both packs (priced around £25-£30), it comes with over 200 songs (everything from console and arcade except Diva X).

I picked it up in the sale because I've enjoyed the Miku demos I've played, I wanted more of the Haruka idol performances from Yakuza 5 and Diva X was advertised as a VR game. Of course, I later find out that that's just for a music video mode. But oh well!

I'm enjoying the rest of it in 2D. I've done four of the... uh... worlds and Satisfaction is an early favourite. That and Raspberry*Monster I throw in to an Event Request whenever I can. From @MW_Jimmy's post, if the fashion bonus is new and there are normally way more songs, what's the game structure normally like?

heads up - in japan so far Project DIva Future tone  is having a retail release in japan as DX - is all DLC content + some extra songs (which will be available as download later for people who already downloaded the game.

anyway - mithchie M released a new song 3 weeks ago:

Livetune released a new song today:

• Upvote 2

Didn't realise it was on, my son might have liked to have gone a couple of years ago, but at 15, he may not. The concerts look mad, we've watched a fair few on Youtube

This seems like the best place to ask about this...

Has anyone played both Voez and Musynx on Switch and can say which is best?

I'm somewhat obsessed with Voez. I love it to pieces and started a thread about it. Never played Musynx, so I can't comment on that one. 

• Upvote 1

I have not played both, but from Voez, Deemo and Lanota... I've played the little mentioned Lanota the most! (I'm just adding complication - sorry :p 

• Upvote 1

I forgot about that one. Not really keen on the, errr, circular nature of the charts, though. Think that's why I didn't get on too well with Superbeat Xonic in the end.

Might just take a punt on Voez. It's only about fifteen quid physical here.

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Mega39's has been announced for Switch

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Mega39’s is a rhythm game featuring 101 songs (100 songs from past games plus the newly written theme song for this game), over 300 modules (costumes), and new game modes made specifically for Switch (details to be announced at a later date). 3D character models have also been updated with an anime-style touch. Confirmed songs include “Decorator” by Kz, “Odds & Ends” by Ryo, “Rolling Girl” by Wowaka, “Alien Alien” by Nayutan Seijin, and “39 Music!” by Mikito-P. The latter two songs are two of 10 newly recorded songs appearing for the first time in Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Mega39’s.

The 10 new songs will also be available as DLC for Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone/Future Tone DX on PS4.

Excite++

First Project diva game developed my Sega AM2 :O (i think)

• Upvote 2

Nice that the new songs will be made available for Future Tone as well.

Currently playing Mirai DX on my 2DS, which is a brilliant little game. 

Great stuff. I can't bring myself to play rhythm games on the telly, so was hoping this series would make it over to Switch eventually.

A Europe hatsune miku concert was announced for Europe in Jan 2020 too! 

Day 1 to both! 

• Upvote 1

Yep, I saw the Twitter announcement. If they put on a UK show I’m certainly up for another. 

Would be good to grab a beer with fellow MUKKERs prior to!

The demo for Project Diva Mega39's is out on the Japanese eShop right now - you can play Romeo and Cinderella for the 294932874982732th time (not complaining!) and also one other tune that I don't recognise. It seems like every other Project Diva game so far which is fine by me.

Only problem - and it's a big one - is that it's going to take a hell of a lot of reprogramming in my brain to not press the B button on Switch when I see an X. Two games worth of X being at the bottom on PlayStation will be difficult to unlearn!

Can't wait for the Western release.

My game arrived today! Not sure if it's in the demo but in the customise menu you can set it to PlayStation buttons /arrows etc. I just done that and I'm doing fine now. 

Plays well, on TV its perfect, handheld it seems to have lower res (or variable res) for some more intense songs. The hud/buttons looks great but the background is a lot blurrier in some songs then I'm used to. 

Otherwise all great. 

Edit: loading times into songs only takes a little longer then usual - zippy otherwise: Do prefer the cel look to all the chars instead of the cgi arcade version.