Alien: Isolation

Hexx

Ha! I can still remember...

Spoiler

Me: That's right, Alan, fuck off! I've got a flamethrower now!

Alan: ... ... ... ... ... ... ... it appears you are out of fuel. *OM NOM NOM*

I still fondly remember

Spoiler

the time I knew I was out of fuel, but Alan did not. We spent what felt like an eternity just staring each other down before he buggered off and I could do things like exhale and change my underwear.

See, for me

Spoiler

The specific moment was when Alan worked out the flamethrower couldn't actually hurt him, and turned around, ran through the fire, killed me, and probably used the flamer to crisp up my buttocks before he ate them.

I may have really screamed.

Ok, I thought I was going to wrap this up at 2am, but then it ran on for another four hours...fml :lol: I'm just shy of 19 hours on the clock. I thought the game was shorter for some reason, or maybe I'm just incredibly slow?

I actually didn't do too badly for flamethrower fuel, I only ran out for very short periods. Short, controlled bursts. :P It was pretty annoying how a certain enemy didn't seem to want to die in a pair, so I had to light them up individually. I was wondering if the game might effectively become impossible at one point if I was out of fuel... that mission 17 amirite?? I barely ever used a lot of my items, so they might have been useful if it came to that. Never used a flashbang or smoke bomb. I can't have used more than 10 medkits. Apparently there's a pipe bomb? I must've missed the blueprint.

Spoiler

I'm not sure about the ending. Literally not sure. Does she just die in space? Get picked up? A bit inconclusive. I feel like the game bugged out and I missed a cutscene. After all that I wanted a cake on the deck of the Torrens. :( It was nice to hear some voice acting from Sigourney Weaver and Yaphet Kotto. From IMDB it looks like all of the original cast were in it, including the late Ian Holm and Harry Dean Stanton, but I only heard those two.

18 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Ah right. He's in the credits, but his parts must be old excerpts from the film. Has anybody modded the Working Joes to look like him? "I'm...bzzt...going on...bzzt...an adventure..."

Should've recast them with Martin Freeman.

1 hour ago, Number 28 said:

Hide contents

I'm not sure about the ending. Literally not sure. Does she just die in space? Get picked up? A bit inconclusive. I feel like the game bugged out and I missed a cutscene. After all that I wanted a cake on the deck of the Torrens. :( It was nice to hear some voice acting from Sigourney Weaver and Yaphet Kotto. From IMDB it looks like all of the original cast were in it, including the late Ian Holm and Harry Dean Stanton, but I only heard those two.

Spoiler

The implication is she gets picked up, by the searchlight appearing on her helmet. But I guess we'll never know because there is no sequel :(

1 hour ago, Number 28 said:

From IMDB it looks like all of the original cast were in it, including the late Ian Holm and Harry Dean Stanton, but I only heard those two.

The original cast reprise their roles in the DLC, specifically the Crew Expendable mission which recreates the time Dallas went into the vents.

54 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

I've just always wanted to pummel him to death with a big spanner.

I enjoyed this reference to his handiwork.

Spoiler

image.png.592101d0daa1df4139ae8c5bbfc7733b.png

Everyone tries to avoid a clichéd ending and to subvert expectations these days, but I'm getting too old for that and just want a "Frankly dear I don't give a damn I love you, let's remarry!" ending. Amanda should've nuked the site from orbit and headed home for smoked kippers.

6 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

The original cast reprise their roles in the DLC, specifically the Crew Expendable mission which recreates the time Dallas went into the vents.

I see. Is it worthing getting? I tried dipping into the Survivor mode but I couldn't really be bothered. The leaderboards are all under a minute, what a joke. :lol:

The DLC is great, @Number 28!  I'm assuming you've got it already, because it must be quite hard to find a version of the game that doesn't include it all at this point?  If not it's totally worth it.

I'd start with the Nostromo stages, which IIRC, are about on the same difficulty level as the main game; then move on to the challenge maps, where Alan has been to Xenomorph Academy and graduated with honours in Advanced Finding You-nomics.  There's loads of maps, lots of challenge and fun to be had and, most of all, pant-stainingly scary at times!

5 minutes ago, Popo said:

The DLC is great, @Number 28!  I'm assuming you've got it already, because it must be quite hard to find a version of the game that doesn't include it all at this point?  If not it's totally worth it.

I'd start with the Nostromo stages, which IIRC, are about on the same difficulty level as the main game; then move on to the challenge maps, where Alan has been to Xenomorph Academy and graduated with honours in Advanced Finding You-nomics.  There's loads of maps, lots of challenge and fun to be had and, most of all, pant-stainingly scary at times!

I picked it up free last month on the Epic launcher, you know how they're always giving games away.

I just checked the store, there sure is a lot of DLC. Presumably it's Last Survivor I want? £2.79 is dirt cheap anyway. I was thinking the whole game that you may as well play as Ellen Ripley.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.cf55744045052e42448e598fa1cacf30.png

Btw, anyone a little sad you can't effectively flame Working Joes? That would be super creepy if they dripped melted skin all over the deck. It would've been good if it sent them into a beserk mode, grabbing you whilst on fire, before collapsing in a bubbling mess.

10 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

It would've been good if it sent them into a beserk mode, grabbing you whilst on fire, before collapsing in a bubbling mess.

What is wrong with you, man? You must be a sucker for punish-

Ah, it's the Alien Isolation topic. Of course you are.

Ha, they couldn't get any worse than those particular Working Joes who seem to have gotten around all forms of damage by...wearing an anorac with the hood tied up? Bolt gunning them in the face from a safe distance was cathartic.

17 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

I just checked the store, there sure is a lot of DLC. Presumably it's Last Survivor I want? £2.79 is dirt cheap anyway. I was thinking the whole game that you may as well play as Ellen Ripley.

Last Survivor and Crew Expendable are the Nostromo mission DLCs, yea.

The others are challenge maps where you play as one of the other characters from Isolation and have to complete certain tasks while trying to escape in a score attack stylee.  Those DLC packs each contain 3 maps and you work through them one by one - but if that proves too easy for you, you can also play them as a single run.  If after that you are still running rings around Alan you can play all 15 challenge maps back to back.  There's no shortage of punishment you can subject yourself to!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've just finished replaying this, as part of my 'buy a next-gen console for nearly £500 and then just replay old games on it' initiative. Really interesting to run through it again, as it's much, much easier if you play more confidently. I think the first time through I spent most of the time crawling around and hiding under tables and in lockers, which I suspect ultimately just gives Alan more time to find you. If you stride around - walking, not running - you make very little noise, and if you're careful about listening for when Alan has dived back into the vents, can usually make it right through a section without needing to hide.

The flamethrower is fun and handy, but I thought it diminished the fear of Alan quite a lot. Although that said, I was playing through on the default difficulty this time, and can't remember if my initial playthrough was on hard or not. I never ran out of fuel (but got quite close on a couple of occasions) - a couple of blips on the trigger was usually enough to send the big man packing.

I did think the pacing worked a lot better with a more strident playing style. You progress through the game remarkably quickly, which might explain why the game seems so punitively long if you're creeping through it like a terrified child - the devs might have underestimated how scary their game was, or became acclimatised to it earlier on. On revisiting it, I thought it was not far off a masterpiece, especially with the loading breaks eliminated by the SSD, and quick resume meaning I could just dip in and out of it. Visually, it's still an absolute treat - there's the occasional bit where the textures look a bit fuzzy, but for a game from 2014, it looks astonishing.