Alien: Isolation

Hexx

mind you, they did it with newt, in the Dark Horse comics, before alien3.

Some of them were ok.

Aaah, the comics made so much more sense than the films. Such a shame they didn't just run with that for 3 & 4. At least with Newt it made some sense. Ripley's daughter died when no one on Earth had even heard about Aliens.

I'm surprised they haven't taken COD's lead (no pun intended) and decided to make Jones the cat the main protagonist.

maxresdefault.jpg

There would be a certain pleasure in playing an alien lurking in the shadows and causing marines to go from "Stay frosty" to full on Hudson screaming fits.

The multiplayer in the latest Alien Vs Predator was fantastic for this. Some of the forumites here were incredibly skilled as the alien and with the dedicated 'hiss' button would freak other players out who'd end up screeching over their headset and firing wildly all over the place :lol:

Doesn't it remove all the tension a bit too, having its lead as the only person in the Alien Universe who we know for a fact lives to a ripe old age?

Well, it isn't hard to imagine that Weyland-Yutani might have lied. Or a late game twist is that you're playing an android that thinks they're Ripley's daughter, etc. I don't think it's a decision bound by much canon, just an odd one when there doesn't appear to be any benefit over using someone we've never heard of before.

Anyway, I think people are being a bit dismissive of the gameplay description from the Kotaku article. Fighting human enemies doesn't inherently mean a body count comparable to an '80s action movie; optimistically we could end up with a cross between Escape From Butcher Bay and Amnesia. I'd like to think the game's name is telling of their intentions: it references the first film, not the second.

Well, it isn't hard to imagine that Weyland-Yutani might have lied. Or a late game twist is that you're playing an android that thinks they're Ripley's daughter, etc. I don't think it's a decision bound by much canon, just an odd one when there doesn't appear to be any benefit over using someone we've never heard of before.

They're in that Star Wars extended universe territory where every character who appeared onscreen for 30 seconds turned out to have wacky adventures with previously unknown connections to the main cast. Except pretty much everyone in the Alien franchise has already died horribly so there's even more a stink of desperation to it. Coming soon: The Adventures of Van Leuwen.

Perhaps most importantly, our source says that Sega took the critical reception to Aliens: Colonial Marines very seriously, and that the publisher put together a postmortem following the near-unanimously negative reactions to their last Aliens game, which was developed by the studios Gearbox and TimeGate. They want to make sure Isolation is a better game, and according to our source, it's already been delayed at least once—Sega originally planned to announce the game at E3 of 2013.

If they delayed it back then, it wasn't because of quality concerns - it's because the controversy surrounding Colonial Marines was really heating up right around the same time and it would have been a really bad start to any marketing campaign, regardless of the quality of the game. Better to wait a year.

They're in that Star Wars extended universe territory where every character who appeared onscreen for 30 seconds turned out to have wacky adventures with previously unknown connections to the main cast. Except pretty much everyone in the Alien franchise has already died horribly so there's even more a stink of desperation to it. Coming soon: The Adventures of Van Leuwen.

Van Leuwen's Space Colony Manager 2179. Now with Bioweapons Division DLC if you pre-order from Wayland Games!

I like the idea that there's only one alien for most of the game, and the supposed stealth / horror focus - it'd be great to have an Aliens game where the aliens are something you're actually scared of, and aren't wobbly cannon fodder running around doing jazz hands. And TCA aren't bad developers - untested in this genre, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's a leftfield choice, certainly.

Ripley's daughter though, jesus. Hopefully this'll be good, but Sega are two for two in respect of mediocre Aliens games this gen. They should just get Obsidian to finish off their Aliens RPG. Or just release what they had, it can't be any flakier than the average Obsidian game.

it'd be great to have an Aliens game where the aliens are something you're actually scared of,

In the first AvP game on the PC, the aliens actually actively sought you out in the levels, which was genuinely terrifying, since they weren't 'triggered' by anything and could attack you at any time.

Doesn't it remove all the tension a bit too, having its lead as the only person in the Alien Universe who we know for a fact lives to a ripe old age?

That might be the case if it made you invincible, otherwise I don't see your point.

This sounds incredibly shit. I wish they would stop fucking up the Aliens universe.

To be fair, that ship sailed long ago, even if you only count the films. I stopped worrying about the name being sullied long ago - I just hope they make a decent game out of it.

I'd be a lot more enthused if it wasn't a shooter at all though. A proper Alien game, in fact - i.e. an adventure/horror title where you have to try and trap/outwit/escape from the Alien, without even a hint of a gun. Mix it in with Mirror's Edge's movement engine for maximum sense of panic as you desperately retreat, your character's breath in your ears, vision blurring, rushing towards the closing airlock that means temporary refuge, the skittering feet of the Alien growing louder every second...

• 1 month later...

So that first image makes it pretty clear that Ripley's daughter, against all reason, has a coincidental encounter with the Alien in the long period between the first two movies where nobody knew they existed.

Just keep on beating that horse, guys.

So that first image makes it pretty clear that Ripley's daughter, against all reason, has a coincidental encounter with the Alien in the long period between the first two movies where nobody knew they existed.

Just keep on beating that horse, guys.

The game ends with Amanda Ripley impaling a roaring Alien Queen on bow of her spaceship, causing it to explode. Then she finds out that Mario Van Peebles survived after all.