X-RGB Mini (and other scalers).

Droo

I'm thinking I'm finally gonna bite the bullet and buy a scaler box. I'm sick of looking at terrible saturn pictures on my LCD and don't really have the space for a good CRT.

So, what I'm asking here is, for anyone who has one - is it easy enough to configure, not to finicky etc?

I have a megadrive with an everdrive and really want to relive some of my old faves but not want to barf everytime I look at it.

Incidently, I have a Sony Bravia TV.

Let's get talking? Also, I'd be interested in a bulk buy if anyone else here is interested in picking one up in the next few months.

I bought an XRGB Mini earlier this year. It's not too difficult to get to grips with but it wasn't worth the outlay for me, especially after postage costs and UPS brokerage fees. It comes with a JP-21 cable that looks like SCART but isn't compatible, so you've got to get a mini-DIN to Euro SCART adapter (try retro gaming cables for that) before you can use your RGB cables on it. You'll also want a UK power adapter unless you want to run it through a stepdown constantly, so add another 20 or so quid to the price for those.

Most systems were plug-and-play once I had it all set up, but I did have trouble with my RGB modded PC Engine, and had to keep going into the menu to adjust the sync level to get a stable picture from it. Saturn, Mega Drive and NTSC Super Nintendo were all fine though. In the end I found myself tinkering with the settings more than playing the games so I got rid and replaced it with a 21" CRT TV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

anyone got any experience with the Lenkeng Lkv362

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenkeng-Composite-Upscaler-Converter-Adapter/dp/B008F29O9I

(and derivatives)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vktech-Lenkeng-LKV362A-Converter-Adaptor/dp/B00FZM7WGS/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1396605454&sr=1-11&keywords=scart+to+hdmi

because for under £40, the GF'll be more than happy to see the back of the two CRTs I'm keeping hold of, but if it doesn't review well...

cheers!

aww...

http://flyingfullforceblog.wordpress.com/2012/02/15/mini-review-scart-to-hdmi-1080p-scaler/

"The image has black borders and isn’t centered. Also slightly squished...

This highlights the biggest problem, aside from getting a proper image, everything is mercilessly stretched to 16:9.

And for some reason, I can’t change the aspect ratio to 4:3 on my TV. Actually none of the two TV sets I’ve tried this on allowed me to change the aspect ratio to 4:3 once the scaler was powered on.

And therefore, it is to me quite useless. Sadly."

might have been a one-off...

• 6 months later...

Has anyone tried SCART to HDMI? I've been looking for something that'll do SCART to composhite but seeing that some of these don't cost that much more, is it worth sticking it on a modern telly?

I've found this on Youtube (skip to around 10 minutes in for the actual demonstration)

And this one seems similarly enthusiastic

So is it worth dropping $50 on?

• 1 month later...

I have the CSY-2100 clone found here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SCART-RGB-to-YPbPr-Component-Video-Converter-Scaler-/370695549217?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item564f2d3121

I live in the US, and use it to get glorious RGB to my Samsung PN51F4500's. ZERO added input lag because its analog, and produces a FANTASTIC picture. You will need a SCART breakout box to pull the audio out. The converter and the breakout box together cost about $60 total US. Of course you dont get the emulated scanlines of the Framemeister, but if you have a Samsung 4500 plasma, you dont need them as it looks fantastic as is.

BTW-- for my money, the 720p Samsung PN51F4500 is the single best TV you can get today for XBOX 360 era on down to NES-- but you must use RGB modded systems.

I currently have personally RGB modded my NES, SNES mini, N64 and am also using RGB SCART cables for my Dreamcast and Genesis 1 and am extremely impressed with them all. Just FYI using composite on any of these systems (especially the NES, Genesis, and SNES) looks like dog vomit in comparison!

If you have component inputs and native 240p support (the F4500 does) I highly recommend the above setup.

• 1 month later...

Does DealExtreme count? They do worldwide free shipping. I'm considering it.

So this finally turned up :lol: when they say free shipping, they mean it. Fucking hell!

I'll test it out this weekend on my Saturn.

I currently have personally RGB modded my NES, SNES mini, N64 and am also using RGB SCART cables for my Dreamcast and Genesis 1 and am extremely impressed with them all. Just FYI using composite on any of these systems (especially the NES, Genesis, and SNES) looks like dog vomit in comparison!

A late reply, but... as someone who almost always uses RGB SCART for the pre-HD consoles, I'm surprised that you'd opt for RGB SCART for the Dreamcast, when it supports native 480p through D-sub in the vast majority of games, making that by far the preferable output! Definitely worth investing in a decent (ideally official) VGA cable for the DC if you haven't already.

(Otherwise though, I go for native passthrough of RGB SCART, no upscaling, through my PDA-V100HD, which is perfect if you want to output without any processing (or want to output through a separate processor that accepts HDMI in). It's a lovely bit of kit if you're happy to push native signals through it from a variety of sources, offering a good way to add RGB SCART input to any TVs that don't accept it normally along with an extra component input and multiple HDMI inputs, but I absolutely wouldn't recommend if you planned to use its native upscaling, which is rubbish)

Initial impressions:

It's dead crisp. The Saturn with SCART through this box was much better than a PS2 through composite. I'll try using a scart adapter for composite cables with the PS2, Gamecube and N64 and see what sort of impact it has.

Of course the downside is that there's no hiding that 50hz, bordered output on a big HDTV. I didn't feel any lag though when playing Sega Rally or Sonic Jam (had no problem with the special stages, for example), I'll try out Fighters Megamix and Sega Ages and see how those fare.

Just a note about the actual package, it's nothing special but the converter seems sturdy. The supplied power cable is 2-pin US style though, 100-240v so all you need is an adapter. Cable is ridiculously short but it looks standard so I might try a generic plug in the future.

I ordered one of these on a whim today, £30 on eBay with free shipping. By coincidence I hadn't read this thread until this evening, but I did watch that video posted above this morning before I ordered the unit! Looking forward to the results as I have had to let my CRT go due to space restraints

Ok, so I got my SCART to HDMI converter today. Had a quick play with it

The unit's build quality is good, feels sturdy. SMD is not kidding. The PSU cable is about a foot long and is practically useless. Mine has a 3 pin plug rather than a 2 pin one

Here's what I found. All tests were performed with RgB cables unless stated

Ntsc Genesis - very clear, oddly in a horizontal scroller such as Thunderforce 4, you get an odd smoothing effect while the game is in motion which disappears when paused. Vertical shooters don't produce this effect quite as much. Overall miles better than RGB scart directly into my LCD
Ntsc Super Famicom - pixels are more obvious, not a massive improvement over RGB directly into my LCD. I am a little disappointed
Ntsc Rgb modded PC Engine Duo R - clear like the Genesis was. No ghosting
PAL Saturn with 60hz switch - nice clear picture, colour is some what over bearing compared to the other consoles tested.
Ntsc Neo Geo Aes - some where between the Genesis and the SFC - satisfactory
Ntsc AV Famicom - used composite to scart adapter - overall picture quality as to be expected through composite however does cut down on ghosting that composite sometimes does through and LCD Tv

Still to test: Ps2, Supergun, Jaguar, Gamecube. I'll probably not test dreamcast as I have a Vga cable .

Hi all.

I ordered a RGB-mini Framemeister just before Christmas and heard today that'll be dispatched in the next few days.

I've read enough in advance to know I'll need the Euro SCART to rgb connector and already have one in hand but I've just thought about something...

Will I need to buy some sort of stepdown convertor? Will I be able to just plug it in to a UK socket?

Anyone have any experience with them?

Cheers...

• 5 weeks later...

I've had two of them, and both came from Solaris Japan. They're reasonably priced, offer express shipping (for a price of course) and can adjust the invoice should you need that kind of thing. It's worth mentioning that you'll probably have about £20-odd quid in fees either way if you go with DHL.

You can order the D-Terminal > Component adapter at the same time, and it's worth doing so because they're only a tenner and can be hard to source from elsewhere after the fact.

You can either use a stepdown for power or pick up a compatible UK PSU, This is the one I've used in the past.

You will probably be needing the Mini-DIN to EURO-SCART adapter as well (as the connector that comes with the XRGB looks like SCART but is actually wired for JP-21). You can get that from Retro Gaming Cables in either Sync-Stripped or Non Sync-Stripped varieties, they also supply good quality RGB SCART cables for a wide variety of consoles. It's probably best to order at the same time as the XRGB to make sure you have all the cabling by the time it arrives, otherwise you won't be able to do much more than look at the box!

Has anyone tried SCART to HDMI? I've been looking for something that'll do SCART to composhite but seeing that some of these don't cost that much more, is it worth sticking it on a modern telly?

I've found this on Youtube (skip to around 10 minutes in for the actual demonstration)

Being looking into this subject myself as I would love to get a RGB converter for the Saturn to output at HDMI, while I don't know if it supports 240i for some of the older consoles, I have found someone selling the upscaller AdamKoralik recommended in the UK. Amazon is shipping it with the top seller so I assume it's the one pictured some of the other sellers might be selling a different one.

Going to pickup one of these tonight, would love an xrgb framemeister but the hassle of ordering from Japan puts me off, even more so if the damn things break down when you get it.

Interestingly one of the reviews said this scart upscaller worked with the following computer, weren't some of these 240i?

ZX-Spectrum +3

Commodore Amiga 1200

Original XBox

Commodore 64c

That said I have no idea if he got the converter pictured.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SCART-HDMI-converter-convert-connect/dp/B0092IAA3I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1424095292&sr=1-1&keywords=CKITZE+BG-460