X-RGB Mini (and other scalers).

Droo

Hi all,

So I'm about to order an FM from Solarisjapan, I'll be using Japanese consoles with RGB leads I've bought over the years that have worked in UK NTSC compatible TVs like Trinitrons/PVMs..I was wondering what scart adapter I need them to ship? The EU RGB one or the standard JP lead or I need to pick up a bespoke one from retrogamingcables?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this scaler comparison video, a bit damning on all the scalers at the moment currently available:

The fact the Framemeister can't handle 480p perfectly and features noise in the background is pretty grim for the price of the thing, other scalers aren't any better either. They don't discuss PAL in this video and I know some PAL games don't work with any scaler as they used not standard resolutions. It gives you a good idea of what to buy pending on your budget however.

2 hours ago, Riven said:

Saw this scaler comparison video, a bit damning on all the scalers at the moment currently available:

The fact the Framemeister can't handle 480p perfectly and features noise in the background is pretty grim for the price of the thing, other scalers aren't any better either. They don't discuss PAL in this video and I know some PAL games don't work with any scaler as they used not standard resolutions. It gives you a good idea of what to buy pending on your budget however.

At the risk of coming over as framemeister defence force, as an owner, I don't agree at all, and neither does that video. The meister produces a tiny bit of noise on large scenes if your nose is to the screen, but TVs have noise anyway if you look closely, LCD artifacts or plasma fizz, all screens break down when you examine them from an inch away. CRTs are a mess close up, no tech is perfect. I love my FM, it does an amazing job with everything I throw at it, component inputs, RGB scart, svideo etc etc. It makes my wii, gamecube, emulators etc look miles better on my panny plasma, that already is pretty respectful to SD sources compared to LCDs. Oh and anyone remotely serious about playing old games shouldn't be going anywhere near anything PAL.

1 hour ago, angel said:

Oh and anyone remotely serious about playing old games shouldn't be going anywhere near anything PAL.

I lost my whole NTSC / PAL hang up year ago when I discovered it depends on which machine the game was developed for, some games like Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker on the Mega Drive won't run point blank on a NTSC system even if you by pass the region lock. So if you want the best for all games you need both system, Snake Rattle 'N Roll is another example as I explained in this video:

At a quick level Yes NTSC is always better for the most part, but when you do in depth research you discover that isn't always the case. 

Happy to debate with you, I know a lot of people who are happy with their framemeister, for me I just feel for the cost the system should do 480p perfectly and be free of any noise.

The site they link to in the first video I posted is great so many scalers so many reviews really shows what is out there: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

Well you do appear knowledgable, i'll have a watch of your video. My personal view is that (and it is a bit pretentious, I am aware) nothing is perfect, life isnt perfect. We are silly little creatures living on a rock in space, so while yes I do enjoy my scanlined 480p retro doohickeys, I'm not going to write off a box because of a small bit of noise. My plasma has a fizz from a foot away from the screen, it doesn't spoil it for me. I'm happy with what the FM does for me.

1 hour ago, Riven said:

I lost my whole NTSC / PAL hang up year ago when I discovered it depends on which machine the game was developed for, some games like Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker on the Mega Drive won't run point blank on a NTSC system even if you by pass the region lock. So if you want the best for all games you need both system, Snake Rattle 'N Roll is another example as I explained in this video:

At a quick level Yes NTSC is always better for the most part, but when you do in depth research you discover that isn't always the case. 

Happy to debate with you, I know a lot of people who are happy with their framemeister, for me I just feel for the cost the system should do 480p perfectly and be free of any noise.

The site they link to in the first video I posted is great so many scalers so many reviews really shows what is out there: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

The framemeister is light years ahead any cheap scaler on the market, with regards to 'quality' scaling. You really do get what you pay for.

Watched the video while doing the dishes. It seemed like a pretty good advert for the Framemeister to me. All that chaining just screamed "Buy cheap, buy twice".

The 480p noise issue looked pretty minimal in their video, but I bought the Framemeister for 8- to 32-bit content anyway, so it's not really an issue. As for PAL/50Hz, I can see it's an issue for home computers, where there will be a tonne of PAL exclusives, but I struggle to think of more than a handful of worthwhile PAL exclusives in the console world (some SMS and Codies stuff, Terranigma).

The one Framemeister issue that does get my goat though is the slow switching from 240p to 480i - I'd love to play through Chrono Cross again one day, but know it would be a nightmare waiting for it to resync every time I opened the menus. But then I knew that when I bought the thing, so I'm not going to get angry about it - I'll just entertain myself with 16-bit RPGs until the Framemeister 2 comes out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Mail from Retro Gaming Cables this morning saying Micomsoft are having to discontinue the Framemeister, as the main IC (presumably the Marvell scaler) is no longer being manufactured.

Last batch will be manufactured February 2017, then that's it.

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

^ This needs more attention guys. ^

If it happens, and you were thinking of picking one up, you'll be kicking yourself when they triple in price.

They're already going for stupid money on eBay. Seems around £500 is the going rate with many chancers pushing for £4500! 

Finally actually got a game for my PSU-swapped white JP Saturn, to check it works.

59e21e629b650e4a865a8a7520b2ba24.jpg

Yay! I'm using Pixel Purist's new Saturn profiles, which seem as good as ever, although the green on Bub looks a bit hot.

Fired it up to test, accidentally played it for the best part of an hour. I'm not great at this game, but it's great fun and looks/sounds great, in a peak-90s way.

• 2 weeks later...

Handy video from My Life In Gaming about the Framemeister supply situation and the current price gouging:

TL;DW version - it is indeed down to the Marvell scaler chip being discontinued, but Micomsoft have enough supply for two years worth of Framemeisters at their current sell-through rate. There's also news that Micomsoft are working on a replacement using a different chip, but it doesn't sound very imminent.

Back to the Framemeister, does anyone else have an issue where backgrounds appear to get darker while scrolling? Shinobi 3 noticeably does this, as do a number of other titles, but other games seem to be fine. Without a CRT to compare, I don't know if it's a feature or an archive of some Framemeister or TV setting (I'm using the Pixel Purist profiles).

On 18/01/2017 at 10:35, Kevvy Metal said:

They're already going for stupid money on eBay. Seems around £500 is the going rate with many chancers pushing for £4500! 

wow, I paid 220 I think from the forum, it's going nowhere.

• 1 month later...

Aren't OSSCs extremely limited in supply and need would-be buyers to sign up for an advance pre-ordering that comes around every once in a while?

Maybe you should just buy one ASAP (if even technically possible) and sell it on / return it if it doesn't hit the spot for some reason. 

Broadly speaking, I don't think there's much in it in terms of performance between an OSSC and a Framemeister. The kind and quality of your source makes a difference though, as I don't think a Framemeister deals with 480p or non-standard video signals anywhere near as well as an OSSC.

In my case I fiddled with a Framemeister for a while and it helped me realise that I much prefer keeping it analogue with RGB cables and a CRT, but that's just me.

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering is it worth getting an av amp for connecting up my ps3, wii u, wii and original xbox and read that some older models have some kind of scaling built in as well as analogue to digital conversion which newer models don't have.

Is this scaling any good and is the analogue to digital conversion important or does this rather depend on the input (I'm assuming a spectrums rf out for example couldn't be converted without it and the xbox video output possibly as well) .

I read that older yamaha models have the chipset needed to do this  (HQV) and found someone offering a Yamaha RX-A1010 (the model mentioned in the article which said it supported upscaling) for around 200 quid which I was considering.

I also saw a Yamaha RX-V861 which is cheaper (20 quid currently) but I think has the same scaling chipset I think.

What I'm not sure about is these amps are around 10 years old so maybe there are better amps that could be recommended today? I tried to find some more recent references but unfortunately didn't find them leading me to believe this is no longer so common.

If not is this a path worth considering in general or should I rather bite the bullet and get a framemeister and either a cheap new av receiver (leaving the scaling to the framemeister) or hdmi switch.