IGNORED

CH4 Night to gaming - How video games changed the world

gospvg

Channel 4 dedicating night to video gaming in November

"Writer and comic (and former games journalist) Charlie Brooker is to host a new TV show about video games.

It’s called How Video Games Changed The World and will be aired on Channel 4 at the end of November as part of a themed night dedicated to video games.

Endemol’s one-off documentary will last two hours and chart the history of gaming and its impact on society. It will feature the likes of famed developers Nolan Bushnell and Will Wright, writer Rhianna Pratchett as well as celebrity gamers Jonathan Ross, Dara O’Briain and Labrinth.

“How Video Games Changed the World provides an intelligent, funny and entertaining look at some of the most influential and iconic video games in history even the absolutely dreadful ones),” the blurb reads.

“We will be reminiscing back to the launch of Pac-Man and the birth of the first electronic icon for 80’s popular culture. Moving through to the booming nineties we will be looking at video games’ first credible female character, digital cover girl and tawdry teenage boy fantasy – Tomb Raider’s Lara Croft.

“Now in the 21st century we take a critical look at how Minecraft and its fan base of armchair architects are reshaping the world one brick at a time, whilst shoot-fest franchises like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto are easily outselling other forms of entertainment on a day to day basis.”

I'd hope Charlie Brooker would be able to avoid all the usual bollocks when it comes to programmes about games, but the description doesn't inspire confidence. Hopefully it will avoid the usual vapid talking-heads and cliches and actually represent games well. He did it with Gameswipe. Looking forward to seeing it.

Endemol’s one-off documentary will last two hours and chart the history of gaming and its impact on society. It will feature the likes of famed developers Nolan Bushnell and Will Wright, writer Rhianna Pratchett as well as celebrity gamers Jonathan Ross, Dara O’Briain and Labrinth.

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/274860-jonathan-ross-announced-as-xbox-consultant-by-microsoft/

"Of course, the best games are those you can still buy new for the XBOX 360 and the XBOX ONE. Don't buy things second-hand!"

To be fair to Jonathan Ross he is a proper gamer. Used shop in CEX in Rathbone place and be picking up import Megadrive games.

Agree though that Tomb Raider is always massively overstated in these things but it is understandable as it is a recognisable figure that the media can push.

Who is Labrinth? I'm guessing some sort of rapper or someone youngsters may recognise. Never thought I'd get to the point where I'd be like those judges that go "who is this 'Gazza'?".

And why can't he spell?

I wish they would stray away from the history of games archetype a little, but its always nice to see gaming on TV.

History of video games:

Nolan Bushnell invented video games in the 1870s.

You had Space Invaders and Pac-Man, you know, the one your grandad liked.

Then you had the Atari, the Nintendo, the SEGA, and the BBC Micro, cue clip of Micro Live from 1985.

Mario vs Sonic, your dads used to argue about that.

Then a load of boring stuff about Playstations and whatever, except Lara Croft and a bit of Goldeneye 64.

And that's all the games!

Seriously though, why can't games just be talked about like anything else? Why does it have to be a history of games, with the need to mention Pac-Man and Space Invaders all the time? You don't get a history of film, you know, like Buster Keaton and that.

I'm a fan of old Chaz, so I'm sure this will be pretty good, and I'll definitely watch it. But how many "Introduction to Video Games" TV shows do we need to have? That Thumb Candy one was over 10 years ago, wasn't it? The implication always seems to be that this might lead to more TV shows about games and it never does. What's the point in dredging up Pong and the rest of it just to try and convince people who still can't accept that a gigantic, multi-billion dollar art form might be worth paying attention to yet again?

The best thing about this prospective show is that Videogamer's Matt Lees is the lead writer. Lees is just an immensely likeable guy and one of the funniest people working in games journalism at the moment so I'm looking forward to this even though I've gone a bit lukewarm on Brooker by now.

Ace. His "Everything The Last Of Us gets right" video is brilliant

What else is scheduled in this "themed night dedicated to video games" apart from ANOTHER history of videogames show? Let's speculate.

Celebrity talking heads about their favourite videogames. Richard Bacon will appear.

Compilation of GamesMaster clips.

A movie to fill time. Tomb Raider 2 or shite like that.

Eight Out Of Ten Cats Does Something Something Videogames.