IGNORED

Game get a refit, and forgets Wii-U, and everything else.

dumpster

Doesn't even have to make money, it's great advertising and the indoctrination of the young. A few stores would probably cost less than a couple of prime TV slots.

I mean, does M&M World make money?? Despite walking past it every week it was there for over year before I realised what it actually was. And that was because someone told me. Likewise the Lotus shop in Piccadilly that doesn't sell Lotuses, just key-fobs and baseball caps. I doubt they're there to turn a profit.

Despite that I think retail stores stuffed with Nintendo plushes, candy, t-shirts, figures, radio-controlled things, fancy-dress and always on game-pods could be a winner and maybe turn a profit too.

Some of these 'flagship stores' are really just about marketing. Nike on Oxford Circus is another one.

which is why I don't understand why Nintendo don't do more stuff like animation, comics, toys etc. Yes, they do toys... but they could go to town. A proper animated series or films for Zelda (yes - I know they did one in the 80s, but it was god awful)... Mario likewise. Metroid. Starfox... the lot. Brilliant strong franchises that could spread beyond videogames. My son would love nothing more than a toy playset of Ganon's tower, with traps and moblins and stuff - with a Link and Zelda with light up triforces etc etc. A big arm mounted gun thing like Samus' gun and a helmet.

Pikmin could be a great kids programme as well.

I know they've done some of this stuff in the past to varying degrees but I wish they'd go all in... and then open up that theme park I've always dreamed of.

Do they still have the Nintendo Zone in the Oxford Street John Lewis or has it bombed?

Yeah its still there - there is just no reason to visit it - just has the stock Nintendo games at full retail price (a few older DS games have discount) and then they might throw in some free badges with sticker-ed purchases. I went there last to pick up pokemon x on the Friday hoping as a department store they would have broken street date.... they didnt :P so went to Argos down the road

which is why I don't understand why Nintendo don't do more stuff like animation, comics, toys etc. Yes, they do toys... but they could go to town. A proper animated series or films for Zelda (yes - I know they did one in the 80s, but it was god awful)... Mario likewise. Metroid. Starfox... the lot. Brilliant strong franchises that could spread beyond videogames. My son would love nothing more than a toy playset of Ganon's tower, with traps and moblins and stuff - with a Link and Zelda with light up triforces etc etc. A big arm mounted gun thing like Samus' gun and a helmet.

Pikmin could be a great kids programme as well.

I know they've done some of this stuff in the past to varying degrees but I wish they'd go all in... and then open up that theme park I've always dreamed of.

I've been saying this for years. Why oh why dont Nintendo (who, lets face it, think they are a toy company anyway) sort out proper toys for their products. And products for us oldies too - I want a zelda wallet, mario cufflinks, a wario dressing gown, a pokemon tie and a set of mario kart coasters.

Just build one store in London for normal people with their kids and saddos like me to visit.

Just went into Edinburgh Ocean Terminal. One wall MS, one wall Sony. A couple of small standers in the middle with Nintendo and miscellaneous stuff. Both PS4 and xbone have about 1/3rd of the stand each at the front of the shop. They had two standers filled with Disney infinity tat, more than was dedicated to the Wii U, which got one stander.

This hardly seems like news, it seems more like GAME just rolling out the GameStation layout to all their stores, when I last entered a branch of GAME before they tanked, they sort of ghettoed everybody serially, apart from the new releases being multiplatform at the front of the shop, while the nearest GameStation had the current layout, Sony on one side, Microsoft on the other, all the other stuff in the middle aisles.

Oh you mean like the giant Nintendo store they built?

http://www.nintendoworldstore.com/

Located at Rockefeller Center in the heart of Midtown Manhattan, Nintendo World is a premiere destination for family entertainment. Immerse yourself in the latest Nintendo offerings in a unique setting as you explore our 2 level, 10,000 square foot interactive experience. Play the newest games showcased on the Nintendo 3DS™ system and the Wii U console™. Shop our selection of games, accessories, exclusive apparel, and other items featuring everyone's favorite Nintendo characters. With something for everyone, come join in the fun that is Nintendo World!

marq3.jpg

storefront.jpg

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=nintendo+world+store&ll=40.757091,-73.978157&spn=0.012207,0.022724&client=safari&oe=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=us&hq=nintendo+world+store&cid=0,0,545844908776468405&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=40.757894,-73.979559&panoid=usAhQHW6ejATsW1tKSvVDQ&cbp=12,26.35,,0,-7.65

Er yeah I know they have one already. I'm talking about the idea actually under discussion: expanding the concept to more than one or two stores.

It's already been noted here that the store is rubbish anyway. Perhaps read the thread before deciding you're to going to kick your favourite can.

"Expanding the concept" is not a "format". Nice try though.

I'm not trying anything. I was perfectly aware Nintendo already have a store. Unlike you've I've been reading the thread besides which I knew about it previously anyway.

What I was talking about is what has been talked about: this idea of having more of these stores and focussing more on merch.

Again, just think for five seconds before you see my name and automatically decide to have a pop.

Guys don't you think if Nintendo believed the format you're fantasising about would work for them they would have done it already?

This is kinda tragic.

Things might have gone better if you didn't jump into the thread in passive aggressive bellend mode.

Things might have gone better if you didn't jump into the thread in passive aggressive bellend mode.

Do you want to go and address that to the several other people who said it was a bad idea too?

Oh no, wait, it doesn't say Smitty next to their names.