N64 recommendations

Lothar Hex

Wave Race 64, and your jaw will drop when you see those waves. Then again when you actually drive your jet-ski over them.

Super Mario 64, obviously.

Goldeneye 007 is a must, as is Perfect Dark.

Banjo Kazooie, and Diddy Kong Racing.

Ocarina of Time.

I'm going through a soft spot for the N64 after a discussion with a friend & have just picked up a US N64 with games, it's such a brilliant system. Although it never had the breadth of the PSone, it has games like Super Mario 64 & Zelda: Ocarina of Time which remain the best games ever made.

I would say Mario 64, Zelda Ocarina of Time and Wace Race are the classics you need and after that it's personal preference. GoldenEye & Perfect Dark have not been bettered for a FPS single player campaign, Majora's Mask is the most unique Zelda you can play and Mario Kart 64 is my favourite game in the series.

You're arguably set for life with a N64 and that set of games!

Haven't played em but Harvest Moon 64 and Ogre Battle 64 (NTSC only) are supposed to be great. Mario Golf and Tennis are great multiplayer games and link with the gbc games too. Don't forget you will need an expansion pack to play Perfect Dark and Majora's Mask.

Yeah, I need to buy a NTSC N64 at some point. I miss the weird and wonderful controller. I still have a PAL N64 with games in a relatives cupboard but i'm not in the UK anymore. I may have to get rid of it as they are bugging me about storage space.

Paper Mario, Star Wars Battle For Naboo, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, Battle Zone,

They're all games that don't get much of a mention - maybe because they were a bit rarer. But they are great fun.

Also, get an Everdrive 64. Best thing you could buy. SD flash cart goodness.

Hybrid Heaven is something a bit different. I loved it and played through it several times, but I rather suspect it's a bit of a Marmite game. It's hard to describe. Imagine a 3rd person platform/explore'em up mixed with an RPG that uses turn based strategy for the battles....if you can. I'm not sure how well it would sit with our modern gaming sensibilities. Also, I always felt Armorines was an underrated shooter if you're looking for something off the beaten track.

Neither of those are what you might call essential though.

Wave Race, as already mentioned is stunning. The course in the docks, with the storm is amazingly atmospheric. Never forgotten playing that, or that one where you skim across the lake with the rushes. Pure gaming pleasure there.

Drake Lake, here we go,

I always liked Tetrisphere, but seem alone there.

F-Zero X is not only the best in the series, it's one of the best racing games of all time. Amazing music, perfect difficulty curve and so ridiculously fast.

Other than that - Wave Race, Banjo Kazooie (I know it's sacrilege, but I preferred this to Mario 64), 1080 Snowboarding and WWF No Mercy all hold up really well today.

To be honest, there are too many to mention - it's still my favourite system ever.

I'm going to use my first post saying this:

Jet Force Gemini is decent enough, but I wouldn't rate it as a must have game. Can't put my finger on what's specifically wrong with it, it just doesn't feel as fun as it looks like it's going to be.

I've had hybrid heaven on my shelf for ages now and feel like giving it a try.

I recommend these:

Turok and turok 2.

Doom 64

Duke nukem 64

Goldeneye and perfect dark have aged terribly.

Watching videos of Hybrid Heaven has made me want to play it again. The combat system is really impressive. I was quite dismissive of the N64 in a thread elsewhere in this folder a while ago, but actually, it's home to many of my fondest gaming memories. I take it all back.

Back on topic, Beetle Adventure Racing was a pretty good racing game as an alternative to the usuals. It had amazing graphics at the time too.

Perfect Dark

Goldeneye

F-Zero X

Ocarina of Time

1080 Snowboarding

Ogre Battle 64

Sin & Punishment

Perfect Dark

Banjo Kazooie

Majora's Mask

Wave Race 64

Super Mario 64

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Perfect Dark

I recommend these:
Turok and turok 2.
Doom 64
Duke nukem 64

Goldeneye and perfect dark have aged terribly.

What a load of bollocks.