IGNORED

The Humble Thread

RubberJohnny

I might buy the bundle. I already had grow home... if i'm being honest i didn't enjoy it. I did only play it for an hour or two so maybe it gets better.

It's a shame rayman legends isn't there instead as to my knowledge it has all the origin levels too.

The weekly humble bundle featuring games published by Focus Home Interactive might be of interest to some people, though I'd say the base games are probably more appealing than nearly all the more expensive tier ones for some inexplicable reason, with the exception of Wargame (unless you have a soft spot for non-premier league Euro RPGs/strategy games).

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

I looked up that Mars: War Logs game, interesting concept.

Never watched it and avoid playing fantasy RPGs in general. I did take a punt on that Mars: War Logs game though, despite the generally low review scores as some randomly picked YouTube review made it sound interesting. All the other $1 tier games have really good user feedback.

Ignoring the defaulting of GOT to its TV series form (I've not watched it, but I have read it), the game stands quite well apart from either - it tells its own stories with its own characters, and while knowledge of the world can offer some insight, it's not required.

It's also not a fantasy RPG in the style of most - no heroic story, only the lightest dusting of monsters or magic - but if you can't get into faux medieval settings then it probably isn't for you.

The review I watched said it has great world building and is a mechanically serviceable game which they found strangely compelling so was worth a punt to me despite the poor reviews, it does look very drab but that comes with the territory for mid-table Euro developed games I find.

I might buy the bundle. I already had grow home... if i'm being honest i didn't enjoy it. I did only play it for an hour or two so maybe it gets better.

It is only an hour or two long.

The review I watched said it has great world building and is a mechanically serviceable game which they found strangely compelling so was worth a punt to me despite the poor reviews, it does look very drab but that comes with the territory for mid-table Euro developed games I find.

I thought the premise looked good too, but there are only a small number of environments (which aren't very interactive or exciting), the combat is a bit rubbish and quite clunky and none of the quests are gripping. I got bored about halfway through, so it was good that it was fairly short I suppose.

The uplay launcher is a bag of cack and wouldn't download as it can't write to the default folders (which didn't exist either). Add 'Modify' permission to 'Local Users' (Windows 10). I guess it doesn't handle the need to escalate permissions when creating a download location in the default program files folder, which may have been fine at installation but not if it was installed by silently by Steam (I think... ) but I digress. It's still crap, but at least it now has Rayman.

Just saying in case somebody else has that problem.

I just download uplay yesterday and it was a quick install and worked fine.

My only complaint was downloading Far Cry 3 only to find out it installed punkbuster on my PC. CCleaner let me uninstall it though and Far Cry 3 still works, so I'm alright.

Also I enjoy how simple they made uplay now, and it doesn't constantly run in background services like it used to when you'd close it.

I've got the following keys from Humble stuff going spare, if anyone wants anything drop me a PM.

Call of Juarez Gunslinger (Steam)
Rayman Origins (UPlay)
Final Exam (Steam)
Mars War Logs (Steam)
Space Run (Steam)
Yesterday (Steam)

and finally, I think this one is still available as I can't find evidence of anyone taking it the last time I offered it up.

Orcs Must Die! 2: Complete Pack (Steam)

Gosh Rogue is my first experience with Assassins Creed since Brotherhood and the climbing is a lot less precise than it was. The trees work fine, but who made it so you can't scale rocks that you should be able to grab on? Used to be able to scale anything within the level boundary, now you have to look for that one route through the space.

I thought the premise looked good too, but there are only a small number of environments (which aren't very interactive or exciting), the combat is a bit rubbish and quite clunky and none of the quests are gripping. I got bored about halfway through, so it was good that it was fairly short I suppose.

So the professional reviews weren't wrong, shame. At least they were practically giving it away so even if I never bother to actually play it, no probs. Modern French games aren't nearly as avant-garde as the old golden age stuff :)

It really is a bargain even if only for Chaos Reborn and Big Pharma, which I've been wanting for a while.

I've got some spare codes for the other games in the bundle - see the For Free thread in Bargains if anyone wants one.

Can't wait for Ubi to go back to Steamworks. You're talking tens of millions of sales they're missing out on at this point by continuing to push what is literally GFWL 2.0.

When's hell freezing over again? Save 30% versus some more sales on a competing platform, after all these years, they have a pretty good idea if they can continue, much like Blizzard or anybody else with enough clout to tell Valve where to shove it.

Yeah uplay is alright.. definitely a lot less horrifying than it used to be.

Just beware if it installs "punkbuster" on certain titles.  You may have to use a third party uninstaller program to get rid of it (ccleaner's uninstaller works).  It basically just sits in your processes forever, scanning your PC for "cheating", but really it's looking for cracked content.

They only used punkbuster on older games.  You can find a list here.

You can get rid of it and your games will still work, because it doesn't do a punkbuster check when going into a game.. it's sole purpose was to spy on you basically.